Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  15    17
Author: Subject: General Born-Kite discussion.
Randy

[*] posted on 1-18-2019 at 12:47 PM

It's academic for me. Snow is pretty rare around here. :D

NPW Test Pilot -US99
soliver

Mood: Peak-a-liscious

[*] posted on 1-18-2019 at 05:53 PM

There's always butt scuds, or even just sitting down on a sled, Steve... c'mon!!!!

An oldie but a goodie: https://vimeo.com/85508225

In real life, they call me Spencer

Flying-- HQ Symphony 2.1.4 (its old), 2.5m & 4m Born Kite NS2, 6m Flysurfer Peak 1 (a minty fresh Gift) and 12m Flysurfer Peak 2 (the gnat fart catcher).
Riding-- VTT Stinger XR Hybrid and an XR/VTT Frankenbuggy (Tandem).
Playing-- Silverangel #429 ... oh wait thats the other forum.
JWC-- Founding member and self appointed president.

You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.
-anonymous
Windstruck

Mood: Excited for my incoming 3.5m LS3!

[*] posted on 1-18-2019 at 06:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by soliver  
There's always butt scuds, or even just sitting down on a sled, Steve... c'mon!!!!

An oldie but a goodie: https://vimeo.com/85508225

You guys are great. Really. The problem with anything but a solution involving a AQR is I can't reasonably assure my wife I won't get lofted (again). The one work around would be to hold a kite bar and Popeye it. I have thought of taking out my new 2.5m NS4 and just put it in my bar with some 20m lines and just go that way. The bar has a chicken loop on it but who says I need to hook in? A NS4 is essentially a 2 line kite anyway.

Hymn..... :rolleyes:

Kites:
Born-Kite RaceStar (5.0m, 7.0m, 9.0m, 11.0m)
Born-Kite LongStar-3 (3.5m)*
Born-Kite NasaStar-3 (1.5m, 3.2m)
Born-Kite NasaStar-4 (2.5m)

*By IBX 2019

Buggy:
Hybrid - nose & tail PL BF+ with wide rear axle; midsection VTT rail & seat kit; two sets of Sysmic rims (BigFoots and 6-ply trailer tires); BigKid's AQR

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT0003
Randy

[*] posted on 1-18-2019 at 07:38 PM

I only started hooking in this season when I got the big Paraski (which pretty much requires it.) I'm pretty sure going Popeye is not the best way to ride, but you do get more of a workout - especially after you let go of the bar and have to go set up the kite again and again and again. Go for it Steve! :D

NPW Test Pilot -US99
Mfwetu

[*] posted on 1-18-2019 at 09:25 PM

First up I need to confess that I'm playing Devil's Advocate for purely selfish reasons - I don't want to wait until spring before we get Steve's review of the NS4 ;)

The problem with most QR's is that they're not intuitive to use so you'll never be able to activate them quickly enough to avoid trouble. Normally you're already well on the way to a painful experience long before you've thought of letting go of the bar, reaching for the OS button and trying to remember whether to pull or push. Ideally, when you feel that first twinge of panic you just want to drop everything and have the problem go away. So, here's a solution from the time when 2-line kites were the only option - let go the handles and the kite breaks away. Not AQR but a natural reflex action that's so quick that it's pretty close to being automatic. Also, there's not much chance of getting airborne with a NS4. Just saying . . .. . :evil:

DSC_0031.jpg - 76kB DSC_0032.jpg - 79kB
Windstruck

Mood: Excited for my incoming 3.5m LS3!

[*] posted on 1-19-2019 at 06:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Mfwetu  
First up I need to confess that I'm playing Devil's Advocate for purely selfish reasons - I don't want to wait until spring before we get Steve's review of the NS4 ;)

The problem with most QR's is that they're not intuitive to use so you'll never be able to activate them quickly enough to avoid trouble. Normally you're already well on the way to a painful experience long before you've thought of letting go of the bar, reaching for the OS button and trying to remember whether to pull or push. Ideally, when you feel that first twinge of panic you just want to drop everything and have the problem go away. So, here's a solution from the time when 2-line kites were the only option - let go the handles and the kite breaks away. Not AQR but a natural reflex action that's so quick that it's pretty close to being automatic. Also, there's not much chance of getting airborne with a NS4. Just saying . . .. . :evil:

I completely agree that relying on manually popping the chicken loop is just a lousy way to ensure safety, and history proves in my case that this form of protection just won't work if I'm startled by something out of the blue.

The good news / bad news here is that I stopped weight lifting with my upper body last year and now make lap swimming one of my core regular workouts. I say upper body because I still do goblet squats with kettle bells to get my legs ready for telemark ski season. As a result I don't think I could do a chin up to save my life right now. The issue at hand here is ensuring that I don't get lofted high into the air as I am said to have done during my freak gasoline fight accident a few years ago. Even if one of my NasaStars did somehow lift me off the ground I don't think I could hold on for Toad's Wild Ride even if I wanted to.

My quiver of NasaStars at this point range from 1.5m up to 4.0m and I have no intention of buying larger ones again. That quiver is set to shrink in a couple of months as I have already committed to iPaul (Jeepersjoey) to donate my 2.5 and 4.0m NS3s into the IBX 2019 raffle. The wind will need to be pretty strong to get me going on skis in deep loose snow with such small kites but we'll see.

In the meantime I may be able to get the 2.5m NS4 out for some static test flying. I too am curious how it may compare to it's cousin from the NS3 quiver and I hope to fly them back to back for a comparison while I still own the 2.5m NS3. Stay tuned anxious ones! :lol:

Kites:
Born-Kite RaceStar (5.0m, 7.0m, 9.0m, 11.0m)
Born-Kite LongStar-3 (3.5m)*
Born-Kite NasaStar-3 (1.5m, 3.2m)
Born-Kite NasaStar-4 (2.5m)

*By IBX 2019

Buggy:
Hybrid - nose & tail PL BF+ with wide rear axle; midsection VTT rail & seat kit; two sets of Sysmic rims (BigFoots and 6-ply trailer tires); BigKid's AQR

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT0003
 Pages:  1  ..  15    17

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio