Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Poor mans GoPro camera
MyAikenCheeks

Mood: Hi, My name is Davis and I'm an addict.

[*] posted on 1-18-2014 at 08:44 AM
Poor mans GoPro camera

I ran across this camera and thought it might work for us kiters. Might be tricky to mount but we are inventive geeks. What do you all think about this? Price is $70 bucks. Anyone got one?

Polaroid Waterproof 720p High Definition Pocket Digital Video Camcorder with 2-Inch LCD Display.

Records in 720p HD video and has a 4x digital zoom.
Shockproof, dustproof, sand proof, freeze proof and waterproof up to 10-feet (3.0 meters).
2-inch LCD display makes it easy for you to see what you're recording in crystal clear detail.
Includes a SD memory card slot to provide up to 32GB of additional memory.
10-megapixel camera and delay timer for still photos.
Amazing combination of beautiful image clarity, ease of use and extreme durability.
USB interface for transferring data to your PC or MAC and an AV port can be used for a connection to your TV.
Built-in rechargable Lithium-Ion battery.
includes: USB cable, AC charger, AV cable, wrist strap and software installation CD.
Comes with a 1-year warranty.

http://polaroidstore.com/store/products/digital-video-camera...

id640-blue-polaroid-waterproof-high-definition-pocket-digital-video-camcorder.gif - 35kB

The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.

Zebra Z2 2.5m small stripped horse but WOW!
Zebra Z2 3.2m zippy racer oldie but goodie.
Zebra 3.4m Checka, striped pony with Jaundice.
Zebra Z1 5m It's got the size, it's got the speed!
Ozone Access 4m de-power foil.
Wipika 5m, like new! dean Jordan said it should be in a kite museum. (for sale)
Cabrinha Nitro 12m Recon 2 (for sale)
Ivanpah heavy
NAPKA - US47
OOBE Field Dirt Diver, Toilet Paper ASSassin. I am NKBRA Kite Buggy Police Man Obe Scuddly.
ssayre

[*] posted on 1-18-2014 at 09:42 AM

I've been looking into different camera ideas myself and I ran across a shock proof case and helmet mount for an Iphone for $20. If you have an Iphone then it looks like it would be a cheap and easy way. Oh, to answer your question, I have not tried the camera you have shown, but I have a similar sanyo one that I have that I have been making some mounts for. You just need 1/4 x 20 thread to screw to the camera.
Proletariat

[*] posted on 1-18-2014 at 11:02 AM

Just go get a used 720p original gopro with a housing for $70 or less. Mine is awesome and bomb proof and 720 is plenty. When I upgrade, I'm totally selling the old one on here. Probably for about 50 bucks.
soliver

Mood: sleepy

[*] posted on 1-18-2014 at 06:30 PM

Davis, I have a similar camera made by Sony called the "bloggie" it's not all shock resistant and such, but it's mountable with anything you can put a 1/4 -20 screw through. (It's the one I had on board last time at OOBE). They work well for what they are, but the field of view is limited, because unlike the GoPro they have a standard lens profile. GoPro cameras have a sort of fish eye lens that catches more of the action (and sort of makes thinks look bigger).

Go for it though cuz it'll be a great starting point, I just recently picked up a GoPro HD hero 3 silver on a barter. I did about 3 hrs worth of welding for a buddy and he gave me the camera and $20 for a new battery.... I've yet to put it through the paces though.

I'm going to take a nap now
beachrights

Mood: windy!

[*] posted on 1-18-2014 at 09:05 PM

Mobius...enough said. I have been trolling for a few weeks for a Quadcopter for filming and this is the best camera out there for $70 to film from the quad. I'm too lazy to post links right now but Google it and you will be surprised.

HQ Beamer II 1.8-
Flexifoil bullets 2.5- 3.5 mine, can\'t have it!
Pansh ACE 4.0- for sale $75
Peter Lynn Viper- 3.9
Naish Aero 10.0
Naish Aero 12.0
Rockville Kite Trike
beachrights

[*] posted on 1-18-2014 at 09:07 PM

mobius

ok... not that lazy

HQ Beamer II 1.8-
Peter Lynn Viper- 3.9
Naish Aero 10.0
Naish Aero 12.0
Rockville Kite Trike
ssayre

[*] posted on 1-19-2014 at 07:38 AM

Mobius looks good, I was too lazy to look it up until you posted the link. This Iphone accessory looks tempting. If you have an Iphone and your really cheap like I am.

http://www.amazon.com/Optrix-Action-Sport-Iphone-Touch/dp/B0...
MyAikenCheeks

[*] posted on 1-19-2014 at 11:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by soliver  
Davis, I have a similar camera made by Sony called the "bloggie" it's not all shock resistant and such, but it's mountable with anything you can put a 1/4 -20 screw through. (It's the one I had on board last time at OOBE). They work well for what they are, but the field of view is limited, because unlike the GoPro they have a standard lens profile. GoPro cameras have a sort of fish eye lens that catches more of the action (and sort of makes thinks look bigger).

Go for it though cuz it'll be a great starting point, I just recently picked up a GoPro HD hero 3 silver on a barter. I did about 3 hrs worth of welding for a buddy and he gave me the camera and $20 for a new battery.... I've yet to put it through the paces though.

I thought that camera and mount I saw at OOBE was sweet, and the movies you've taken with it have been great. I was not aware of the lens thing. BYW I've got a few stills of you last time out at OOBE, I'll get them moved to you one of these days.http://www.powerkiteforum.com/images/smilies/smug.gif

The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.

Ivanpah heavy
NAPKA - US47
OOBE Field Dirt Diver, Toilet Paper ASSassin. I am NKBRA Kite Buggy Police Man Obe Scuddly.
MyAikenCheeks

[*] posted on 1-19-2014 at 11:39 PM

The Mobius is an interesting camera and in my price range as well.
It looks as if action sports camera prices and models are evolving better and lower priced.

The Mobius is not water proof but they have a housing for it, $19.95. That raises the cost.
The case looks like a flexible cover that you can press the controls through. I guess the mic will pick up in the case. ??
The Polaroid is plug and play but is bigger.

http://mobius-actioncam.com/
http://mobius-actioncam.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/mobiu...

I believe the Mobius has lots of application possibilities, especially for Quad copters and could give you a few unique shots when mounted on a buggy somewhere other than the rear axle.

http://mobius-actioncam.com/accessories/
This silicone Weather Cover with replaceable windows helps keep the Mobius ActionCam clean and dry in messy conditions such as rain, snow, mud, dust, etc. Yet allows activation of the buttons as well as visibility of LED's. Note: it is does not protect against submersion. Package includes: (1) Weather Cover (1) Pack of (5) replaceable windows. More Info ยป

Ivanpah heavy
NAPKA - US47
beachrights

[*] posted on 1-20-2014 at 03:42 AM

Another good option is the Contour Roam- I had one of these and they are SOLID, Its like holding a roll of Quarters in your hand! Water resistant to 3m too!

HQ Beamer II 1.8-
Peter Lynn Viper- 3.9
Naish Aero 10.0
Naish Aero 12.0
Rockville Kite Trike
Demoknight

Mood: ADIDAK

[*] posted on 5-24-2017 at 09:54 AM

I just bought one of these out of curiousity: https://www.opensky.com/vistashops/product/all-pro-action-sp...

1080p GoPro knockoff made from pure 100% quality Chinesium. I haven't put a memory card in it yet to test video quality, but it comes with $30 worth of GoPro compatible accessories and it seems like it would make a great disposable for the more dangerous GoPro style stunts. For $30 I wouldn't be afraid to stick this to the bottom of a boat or duct tape it to the side of a rocket with no parachute.

NAPKA US8008

Kites:

Ozone R1 V3 7m
Flysurfer Sonic v3 15m
Flysurfer Speed 3 Deluxe 19m
Peter Lynn Charger 2 12m
Ozone Access Reride 6m
Peter Lynn 2013 Reactor 5.5m
Peter Lynn 2013 Reactor 8.6m
Prism Tensor 5.0m

Ride:
GT-Race Code:R6
Weird Beard VTT Custom
riffclown

Mood: rain rain go away...leave some wind so I can play.

[*] posted on 5-24-2017 at 04:33 PM

I found the Vivatar LifeCam.
Gopro and Batteries shown for size reference only.

It records at 1920x1080 and comes with a head strap, magnetic mount,1/4' tripod mount suction cup mount etc.. It was originally marked at $127 to be competitive with the GoPros I guess. This was marked down to 25% off so I thought maybe.. So found an interesting offer after researching the same cam online and found Amazon had 2 probably mis-marked all the way down to less than $13. Needless to say, I returned the one and got the two cameras from Amazon.. built in Wireless and can stream to a tablet or phone (advertised).. No image stabilization but good footage from a stable mount. Well worth what I paid for them..

As you can see by the size comparison, it is much smaller than the GoPro and smaller than 2 GoPro batteries side by side.. After I bought my 2 the price shot way up.. Had them for a few months now with no issues.. They hold a charge well and give decent performance.

HQ Symphony 2.2.4!
Skydog SDT 2.8
HQ Crossfire II 2.0, 3.0 & 4.0
HQ Toxic 8.0
Flexifoil Blurr 3.5
Flexifoil Blade 8.5
PL Hornet 2.0

Before you ask, What kite Should I buy?
soliver

Mood: sleepy

[*] posted on 5-24-2017 at 08:42 PM

Just curious if we realized that we are responding to a 3 yr old thread drudged up by a spammer?... Just sayin'

I'm going to take a nap now
riffclown

Mood: rain rain go away...leave some wind so I can play.

[*] posted on 5-30-2017 at 08:40 AM

Yes but it also seemed relevant to re-spark the discussion.. Action Cameras is a big part of what many of us do.. Would be nice to have his spam links removed though..

HQ Symphony 2.2.4!
Skydog SDT 2.8
HQ Crossfire II 2.0, 3.0 & 4.0
HQ Toxic 8.0
Flexifoil Blurr 3.5
Flexifoil Blade 8.5
PL Hornet 2.0

Before you ask, What kite Should I buy?
WELDNGOD

Mood: Dyin' to go flyin'

[*] posted on 5-30-2017 at 12:03 PM

I recently got the HERO5 black. It is awesome! Voice activation , 1080 @ 120FPS for super slo mo, and no case needed to be waterproof. It was worth $399. I saw recently GoPro will give ya $100 discount when you trade in any old gopro,working or not.

WELDNGOD on VIMEO
https://vimeo.com/user2580342

NAPKA US187
PKD
Combat 2.4 / 4.2
Century 1.8 / 5.5
Century II 2.2/2.8/3.5/4.5 /10.0
Brooza IV 3.0 prototype
Buster Soulfly 1.5 / 2.2 (KIA)/ 3.3 (lost at sea)
Buster Soulfly PRO 3.3 / 4.4
Buster (gen 1) 5.5
FLEXIFOIL
Sting 1.7 Punk
Rage 2.5 / 3.5/ 4.7
Revolution 1.5 SLE
17 ply Custom TRAMPA w/ verTIGo trucks
2 homebrew buggies,2 homebrew KYTBYKS,1 homebrew tandem trailer
GOPRO 3 WHITE, 3+ BLACK, HERO5 BLACK
CONTOUR HD
LET YOUR SOULFLY!

RIDER for KOKOPELLI KITER