Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: JIBE 2020 Update
pbc

Mood: Updated, edited, and published

[*] posted on 12-4-2020 at 08:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by soliver  
... so do we think Kite Buggying qualifies as exercise?

It's a mental exercise. Use it or lose it, right?

I fly: Charger II 6.5m * Charger II 8m * Charger II 10m * Scorpion 10 (for sale) * Phantom II 12m * F-Arc 1200 * Venom 13m

I ride: Peter Lynn XR+ on Midis * Flexifoil Midi/Barrow * Peter Lynn Comp on Barrows * Peter Lynn XR+ (needs a fork)

I build: Custom bars for buggy pilots

I write about kite stuff: at http://philipbchase.com

Philip Chase
skimtwashington
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 12-4-2020 at 10:07 PM

My state beach restriction state something different and with clearer intent:

"state managed coastal beaches are still open albeit for passive recreational activities that only involve transitory movement: walking jogging running etc"

So if you are alone and MOVING>>> Kite buggying, kite rollerblading is OK:thumbup:

The 'passive' term seems like a misnomer, though..?
mystainedskin

[*] posted on 25-4-2020 at 11:15 AM

I may be willing to test some southeastern stretches of beach real soon.
Pass along any obtained info...
Currently in Orlando and have not been close to Jekyll since last year :( .....or really any buggying either.
I have been looking forward to JIBE....and that is an understatement.

Maybe this year would be a great opportunity to dive deeper into the 2nd event of the year at this loved spot?
JIBE 2.0

NAPKA #US904
Viper/ 2.6 Viper S/ 3.9/5.3
Peter Lynn Phantom 6/9/9/12/15/18
Peter Lynn Venom 13
Peter Lynn XR+
Peter Lynn Drifter
Mg Edge
Elliot Virus
Randy
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 25-4-2020 at 06:20 PM

The current rules in Georgia allow beach access, but no beach chairs are allowed. So you gotta keep moving. Sit in one place too long and they might think your buggy is a beach chair......:)

NPW Test Pilot -US99
BeamerBob
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 27-4-2020 at 12:23 PM

I might just randomly happen to check things out at Jekyll Island next week. Anyone else maybe randomly going to be there? I can adhere to the beach rules as they are and hoping they relax those a bit before then.

Coastal Wind Sports Team Rider
Landsegler Disc wheels
PTW Hero Buggy - XXtreme ApeXX Buggy US 88 - Libre Hardcore
IvanpahBuggyExpo.com
Youtube link
Bob Muse
HQ Montana X 8m, Montana IX 12m, HQ Ignition LEI 5m,
PL Phantom 12m, 15m, Big Blu 24m+, Synergy 10m, Venom 10m, 13m , Phantom II 12m Vapors 3.8, 5.4, Crosskite Sonic 7m, PKD Combat 10.3m
Uturn Butane 2.5m PKD Buster 3m Genetrix Hydra 7m Ozone Yakuza GT 14m
soliver
Posting Freak

Mood: sleepy

[*] posted on 27-4-2020 at 03:49 PM

I'll be having a commemorative JIBE ride locally on Thursday since I won't be down on JI this year... decent looking wind in the metro Atlanta area and I took the week off of work for a staycation. There's a really nice park about 20-30 min west of me in Dallas, GA called White Oak Park. According to the county Parks and Rec, the park is open but the facilities are closed (so if I have to pee, I'll run into the woods).

Randy and Errol, if you guys want to venture out, shoot me a text or email! (I do have an N95!)

I'm going to take a nap now
BeamerBob
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 27-4-2020 at 04:16 PM

It's just not going to happen. Louisiana's stay at home order was extended for two more weeks certainly because of New Orleans. Going also would've depended on Georgia lifting travel restrictions.

Coastal Wind Sports Team Rider
Landsegler Disc wheels
PTW Hero Buggy - XXtreme ApeXX Buggy US 88 - Libre Hardcore
IvanpahBuggyExpo.com
Youtube link
Bob Muse
HQ Montana X 8m, Montana IX 12m, HQ Ignition LEI 5m,
PL Phantom 12m, 15m, Big Blu 24m+, Synergy 10m, Venom 10m, 13m , Phantom II 12m Vapors 3.8, 5.4, Crosskite Sonic 7m, PKD Combat 10.3m
Uturn Butane 2.5m PKD Buster 3m Genetrix Hydra 7m Ozone Yakuza GT 14m
pbc

[*] posted on 27-4-2020 at 04:47 PM

I'm planning to randomly be there. Our sport is legal within the current Georgia restrictions on beach use. The campground is open and sites are plentiful.

On the down side, access to food on the island is limited. Access to public bathrooms is limited. So some careful planning is required.

I haven't decided if I'm day tripping it to Jekyll or doing a 3-day 2-night adventure. There's also the slim chance that Florida State Parks might open and then I could just day trip to St Augustine. I really need to not work for a day or two and replace that with some flying.

I fly: Charger II 6.5m * Charger II 8m * Charger II 10m * Scorpion 10 (for sale) * Phantom II 12m * F-Arc 1200 * Venom 13m

I ride: Peter Lynn XR+ on Midis * Flexifoil Midi/Barrow * Peter Lynn Comp on Barrows * Peter Lynn XR+ (needs a fork)

Philip Chase
soliver
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 29-4-2020 at 04:44 PM

Local forecast for tomorrow pooped out, decided to push it back til Friday... Randy will be meeting me there!... looking forward to it!

pbc

[*] posted on 29-4-2020 at 07:35 PM

Good winds to you in Atlanta, Spencer.

Philip Chase
flyhighWNY

[*] posted on 30-4-2020 at 03:06 PM

But what are the dates. And if I can get there I'll be without buggy. Anyone have an extra I can use?
Brian
Randy
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 30-4-2020 at 06:28 PM

Dates were May 4-8. The link below is the best guide to the current situation.

https://www.jekyllisland.com/jekyll-island-authority/covid-1...

NPW Test Pilot -US99
Randy
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-5-2020 at 07:50 PM
Corona WOBB 2020

Corona WOBB 2020 (White Oak Buggy Bash) was held today on the outskirts of Dallas (Georgia that is) on schedule with full social distancing, ample fun and a satisfying amount of wind. Spencer flew his 6m peak (long lines), while I went with NPW's sized 5.5, 7. and 8.2 all on short lines. I managed to break one my DIY kite bars on the 8.2 so I finished up on the 7.0 Who knows, this could become a big time event, or at least a good JIBE tune up in the years ahead. Film at 11, or sometime in the next few days. I'd not been to this location, but it certainly has potential and I plan to be back when buggy season starts in earnest next fall and winter. :D Meanwhile it was great to get out and get back in the buggy seat if only for a couple of hours one day in May, 2020.

NPW Test Pilot -US99
soliver
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-5-2020 at 06:11 AM

Great time at Corona WOBB yesterday! A rarity in Metro Atlanta to have wind that constant. It was a little gusty but stayed between 10 and 18 mph shifting N to WNW from about 10:30a to around 1:00... We did indeed have fun! I love that 6m Peak! Randy left around 2:00 I think and I headed home by 3:00. The wind was dropping off to fits and starts which is more typical here.

Thanks for coming out Randy, it was great to see you!

Fun story of obnoxious people; before Randy showed, some middle aged guy was walking around taking video with his phone while encouraging his little dog (apparently named "Sir") to chase me and attack my kite when it was on the ground. When he approached my kite on the ground to encourage his dog to "get it, Sir!" I had to shout to him to step back for safety as his head was so firmly lodged in his posterior.

Randy
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-5-2020 at 07:15 AM

We also had a few kids flying little diamond kites, though they didn't really get in the way. Perhaps we inspired them? :)

NPW Test Pilot -US99
markite
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-5-2020 at 08:01 AM

Quote: Originally posted by soliver  

Fun story of obnoxious people; before Randy showed, some middle aged guy was walking around taking video with his phone while encouraging his little dog (apparently named "Sir") to chase me and attack my kite when it was on the ground. When he approached my kite on the ground to encourage his dog to "get it, Sir!" I had to shout to him to step back for safety as his head was so firmly lodged in his posterior.

Reminds me of story from last fall when Fiona and i were taking a taxi in Dubai and I was talking to the driver who was Pakistani-they are very polite and always call you sir or madam. I asked his name and he said "My name is Sufik sir"
Fiona didn't quite catch the nuance and for the rest of the ride she called him Sufiksir a number of times.

Mark Groshens NAPKA KC 13
WindSpeed kites & design - Canada
Peter Lynn Arcs: Charger2 22.5 +18 + 15 + 6.5, Charger I 6, Scorpion 16 + 10, Phantom II 12 + 9, Orig Phantom 9 + 6, Synergy 10 + 8, F 1200, S 840
Ocean Rodeo: Flite 17 + 12, Rise 13 + 10 + 7, Razor 9 + 6
Foils: PL Leopards and Lynx, Airea Raptors, some PL Reactor IIs + IIIs, Libre Spirits, Cross Kite Sonics, Ozone Flow
Peter Lynn Kite Cat for cruising the lakes
buggies: PL XR+, Cameleon Pagona, custom bigfoot, PL Bigfoot, custom ice buggy
Boards: 2 custom directionals, O.R Surf series 6-3 and 5-11, Mako Duke, Mako Skinny, Mako 140 Wide, Mako 150 Wide, Mako King, Brunotti
lots of old school skis, snowboard
soliver
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-5-2020 at 10:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Randy  
We also had a few kids flying little diamond kites, though they didn't really get in the way. Perhaps we inspired them? :)

They were kinda in my way, but they were having fun ... nothin' to fuss over.

Randy
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-5-2020 at 11:29 AM

I probably scared them away with mask. Or maybe it was my buggy driving.;)

NPW Test Pilot -US99
Randy
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 3-5-2020 at 09:36 AM

A brief video of WOBB 2020.

NPW Test Pilot -US99
Demoknight
Posting Freak

Mood: ADIDAK

[*] posted on 4-5-2020 at 12:13 PM

It really hurts to not be able to spend this week on Jekyll. However, we have moved our reservation on our house and will instead be going to Jekyll in October! It isn't a total loss. This will just have to be my first fall buggy trip rather than spring trip.

NAPKA US8008

Kites:

Ozone R1 V3 7m
Flysurfer Sonic v3 15m
Flysurfer Speed 3 Deluxe 19m
Peter Lynn Charger 2 12m
Ozone Access Reride 6m
Peter Lynn 2013 Reactor 5.5m
Peter Lynn 2013 Reactor 8.6m
Prism Tensor 5.0m

Ride:
GT-Race Code:R6
Weird Beard VTT Custom
soliver
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-5-2020 at 06:26 AM

GREAT VIDEO, Randy... LOVE IT!

Quote: Originally posted by Demoknight  
It really hurts to not be able to spend this week on Jekyll. However, we have moved our reservation on our house and will instead be going to Jekyll in October! It isn't a total loss. This will just have to be my first fall buggy trip rather than spring trip.

Hey Errol, We'll be there in October too! Will be on Saint Simons for the most part but plan to come over to JI regularly. My in-laws have the place for most of the month, so let me know when you guys plan to be there and I'll try to see if I can make my individual plans line up. Shoot me an email (if you have it).

Randy
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 7-5-2020 at 05:15 AM

Thanks Spencer. Have you ever tried White Oak on an easterly? Looking at the surrounding terrain it seems it might work, because the field is elevated over the the land and buildings to the east, and there are not a lot of trees either. West looks less promising as there are quite a few trees, though perhaps at a lower elevation.

NPW Test Pilot -US99
soliver
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 7-5-2020 at 04:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Randy  
Thanks Spencer. Have you ever tried White Oak on an easterly? Looking at the surrounding terrain it seems it might work, because the field is elevated over the the land and buildings to the east, and there are not a lot of trees either. West looks less promising as there are quite a few trees, though perhaps at a lower elevation.

Yea Easterly would be great, but I've never had the opportunity, I think I've only been there maybe 2 other times and it's only ever been W or NW

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio