Author: Subject: JIBE 2020 Update
acampbell
Posting Freak

Mood: Digging Deserts and Mts.

[*] posted on 17-3-2020 at 08:46 AM
JIBE 2020 Update

Hey Gang

OK, Wash your hands and listen up.

Just got off the blower with Jekyll Island and as of right now, everything is on. Jekyll Island recently cancelled the Turtle Run, scheduled for last week, and the organizers of the arts festival scheduled for the same time, followed suit.
Restaurants are closing, but shops are mostly open at the discretion of the owners.

JIA understands that the JIBE event is uniquely suited for "social distancing" since we mostly stay at least 6' away from each other and by and large do not share equipment.

Right now there are no travel bans, although I am not keen on flying back from Texas. Nancy knows that if the event goes on, and I am not there, that we have trusted proxies to take care of things and she is cool with that.

It wouldn't be wise for me to speculate further. I suspect that we ill learn a lot in the next two weeks if not two days. It all has to do with our efforts to "flatten the curve" and get on the other side of it. Will this happen by May? Not sure.

We are all watching (or reading) the news. JekyllIsland.com is running a red ticker banner on the top of their home page with updates.

Keep your fingers crossed - and washed. AND STOP BUYING TOILET PAPER!!!

We'll be in touch soon

Angus

Angus Campbell
Coastal Wind Sports
where life is better when it blows!
912-577-3920 new number

Find out about Jekyll Island
Randy
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 17-3-2020 at 09:57 AM

Thanks for keeping us posted. I sure hope it works out that we will be able to go.

NPW Test Pilot -US99
BeamerBob
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 17-3-2020 at 05:36 PM

Thanks Angus. I hope we're on the downwind side of that curve on a strong Beam Reach by the time JIBE rolls around.

Coastal Wind Sports Team Rider
Landsegler Disc wheels
PTW Hero Buggy - XXtreme ApeXX Buggy US 88 - Libre Hardcore
IvanpahBuggyExpo.com
Youtube link
Bob Muse
HQ Montana X 8m, Montana IX 12m, HQ Ignition LEI 5m,
PL Phantom 12m, 15m, Big Blu 24m+, Synergy 10m, Venom 10m, 13m , Phantom II 12m Vapors 3.8, 5.4, Crosskite Sonic 7m, PKD Combat 10.3m
Uturn Butane 2.5m PKD Buster 3m Genetrix Hydra 7m Ozone Yakuza GT 14m
Demoknight
Posting Freak

Mood: ADIDAK

[*] posted on 20-3-2020 at 01:10 PM

Excellent news, and thanks for the update! I hope that things have calmed down enough for the long-distance folks to still be able to join by then. My company has the entire workforce doing work from home right now.

NAPKA US8008

Kites:

Ozone R1 V3 7m
Flysurfer Sonic v3 15m
Flysurfer Speed 3 Deluxe 19m
Peter Lynn Charger 2 12m
Ozone Access Reride 6m
Peter Lynn 2013 Reactor 5.5m
Peter Lynn 2013 Reactor 8.6m
Prism Tensor 5.0m

Ride:
GT-Race Code:R6
Weird Beard VTT Custom
Randy
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 20-3-2020 at 03:32 PM

Sad to post this, but it was just announced on the news that Georgia beaches, including Jekyll have been closed, until April 13. Hopefully things will turn around by May when JIBE is scheduled.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/sorry-spring-breakers-georg...

NPW Test Pilot -US99
soliver
Posting Freak

Mood: sleepy

[*] posted on 20-3-2020 at 09:44 PM

I heard the same on WSB radio earlier tonight. You beat me to the punch, Randy!

Ashli and I are thinking though that it is only a plan to keep the crazy-stupid spring breakers off the Gold Coast Beaches

I'm going to take a nap now
Randy
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 21-3-2020 at 05:36 AM

I was thinking that too. Hope that's the case.

NPW Test Pilot -US99
acampbell
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 21-3-2020 at 08:20 AM

Travel to and from JI is currently NOT restricted but all beaches and JIA public facilities are closed. Some restaurants are closed

Most of these closures are until April 13 unless canceled or extended.

Updates are available at the top of the page at Jekyllisland.com

Angus Campbell
Coastal Wind Sports
912-577-3920 new number

markite
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 23-3-2020 at 11:23 AM

I've been trying not to post anything negative with the current state of world health affairs and I'll try not to be too preachy. It seemed like there just wasn't as much information following through to many people especially when I was watching the US news feeds. From international friends and family the news wasn't looking good well over a month ago. I think there is a slow appreciation of the severity and impact trickling down. I was just reminded to post a short note after seeing some of the international coverage on the weekend that included a spring break report live from St Simons island of all places, showing crowded beaches etc. Anyway, I'm not going to lecture but just want to express that I hope all my friends and their families continue to stay safe and healthy so we can all get together and share a ride, a beverage and tell stories of our adventures soon.

Mark Groshens NAPKA KC 13
WindSpeed kites & design - Canada
Peter Lynn Arcs: Charger2 22.5 +18 + 15 + 6.5, Charger I 6, Scorpion 16 + 10, Phantom II 12 + 9, Orig Phantom 9 + 6, Synergy 10 + 8, F 1200, S 840
Ocean Rodeo: Flite 17 + 12, Rise 13 + 10 + 7, Razor 9 + 6
Foils: PL Leopards and Lynx, Airea Raptors, some PL Reactor IIs + IIIs, Libre Spirits, Cross Kite Sonics, Ozone Flow
Peter Lynn Kite Cat for cruising the lakes
buggies: PL XR+, Cameleon Pagona, custom bigfoot, PL Bigfoot, custom ice buggy
Boards: 2 custom directionals, O.R Surf series 6-3 and 5-11, Mako Duke, Mako Skinny, Mako 140 Wide, Mako 150 Wide, Mako King, Brunotti
lots of old school skis, snowboard
jantie

Mood: wind please!!

[*] posted on 23-3-2020 at 02:22 PM

So hoarding toilet paper is not just a Dutch phenomenon...

pbc

Mood: Updated, edited, and published

sad.gif posted on 23-3-2020 at 08:50 PM

I'm a prepper, a kiting prepper. I got two new spools olf line last week and made my first line set from them Saturday. I plan to burn through the entire spool. Then it's time for some bar upgrades. I have a little more free time on my hands now that all my normal recreational options are shut down.

I sure hope we don't have to bail, but the models of infection rates don't look great. Currently working remotely. My entire team is now remote. We have research projects with deadlines this week and I'm supporting a big Covid-19 research project. When they call we jump. I'm gonna need a vacation soon. I really need this.

I fly: Charger II 6.5m * Charger II 8m * Charger II 10m * Scorpion 10 (for sale) * Phantom II 12m * F-Arc 1200 * Venom 13m

I ride: Peter Lynn XR+ on Midis * Flexifoil Midi/Barrow * Peter Lynn Comp on Barrows * Peter Lynn XR+ (needs a fork)

I build: Custom bars for buggy pilots

I write about kite stuff: at http://philipbchase.com

Philip Chase
acampbell
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 24-3-2020 at 11:50 AM

What happened to my post?

Angus Campbell
Coastal Wind Sports
912-577-3920 new number

markite
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 24-3-2020 at 03:28 PM

See, you make one post about free beer and prizes at JIBE 2020 and it disappears!

I was copying and pasting text from the blog on Robert Bociks recovery and I had to hit the "preview post" to make sure it was visible - it was blank so I then had to return, deleting punctuation marks and all apostrophes, commas, periods and hitting preview again until I saw it would accept the text and replacing with what i copied and typing in a new comma, period etc - that was a pain but at least i didn't loose the entire text going back and forth figuring out what was creating the blank post

Peter Lynn Arcs: Charger2 22.5 +18 + 15 + 6.5, Charger I 6, Scorpion 16 + 10, Phantom II 12 + 9, Orig Phantom 9 + 6, Synergy 10 + 8, F 1200, S 840
Foils: PL Leopards and Lynx, Airea Raptors, some PL Reactor IIs + IIIs, Libre Spirits, Cross Kite Sonics, Ozone Flow
Boards: 2 custom directionals, O.R Surf series 6-3 and 5-11, Mako Duke, Mako Skinny, Mako 140 Wide, Mako 150 Wide, Mako King, Brunotti
TEDWESLEY

Mood: cat-like,I stalk the wind, finding little, I nap.

[*] posted on 27-3-2020 at 11:52 AM

The folks at Parker- Kaufman realty moved our booking to next year no penalties or such. We'll miss you all!

Reactors 2.8 3.5 6.9
Peaks 4m 6m 12m
HQ Neo2 11m Ozone Chrono V2 15m WASP 5m
Flexi wide axle w/mids and runners
Skis Nordic skates and winter stuff
Quatro Wing Foilboard Slingshot Foils
NAPKA US06
BeamerBob
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 28-3-2020 at 06:30 AM

Really hoping for a run to the northern tip soon.

Coastal Wind Sports Team Rider
Landsegler Disc wheels
PTW Hero Buggy - XXtreme ApeXX Buggy US 88 - Libre Hardcore
IvanpahBuggyExpo.com
Youtube link
Bob Muse
HQ Montana X 8m, Montana IX 12m, HQ Ignition LEI 5m,
PL Phantom 12m, 15m, Big Blu 24m+, Synergy 10m, Venom 10m, 13m , Phantom II 12m Vapors 3.8, 5.4, Crosskite Sonic 7m, PKD Combat 10.3m
Uturn Butane 2.5m PKD Buster 3m Genetrix Hydra 7m Ozone Yakuza GT 14m
markite
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 28-3-2020 at 02:56 PM

having a brew and thinking of friends, beaches and wind....ahhhh

wind_sail.jpg - 164kB

soliver
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 30-3-2020 at 04:45 PM

Just heard that because of the President's recent address, beaches will stay closed through April. This is likely going to change my family's travel plans. If beaches open in May, we will probably come then, but there is a possibility I may miss out on JIBE... if beaches stay closed through May, we may wait until September to come down.

Anyhow, I hope I get to see you guys!

soliver
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 31-3-2020 at 09:26 PM

Officially not coming now :no: !!!

My in-laws told us that the rental agency rep spoke with someone in local gov't who said the beaches would likely be closed all summer?!?!? Whether or not that's true, we have decided to do our SSI/JI trip in the fall. We have rescheduled our annual beach trip for October.

Anyone wanna do a fall JIBE?

Angus, you heard any word about beach closures past April 30th?

acampbell
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-4-2020 at 08:09 AM

Sorry to hear this Spencer but I feel that crazier news will not come as much of a surprise in the near future.

Right now there are executive orders standing until midnight April 30 that...

1) Close the beaches

2) prohibit taking new guests or reservations at commercial properties (hotels) for more than two consecutive nights.

These orders can be rescinded or extended.

I have left the Permits and insurance in place, knowing full well that events at hand and public policy will override any of our wishes.
In fact, JIA agrees with me that even if I cancelled JIBE, its still a public beach, and if non-essential travel is permitted in May, there is nothing stopping kiters or anyone else from showing up and enjoying themselves.

But I think not.

Ironically Joan and I are but 6 hours away in Eufaula, AL, just down the street along Rt 82 West out of Brunswick. We are holed up in a darling little RV park in a county that still has no C-19 cases. We are not budging a bit until the all-clear for travel is called. We know that this may not be for many weeks or even months. Our trip to TX is postponed indefinitely and my flight to JAX from there is cancelled.

If safe travel IS permitted then and the beach closure is not extended, anyone is welcome to come and enjoy. JIA is cool with it and I can appoint a Proxy (just a formality).

But lets keep in touch and watch for news and take care of family first.

All the best

Angus

Angus Campbell
Coastal Wind Sports
912-577-3920 new number

soliver
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-4-2020 at 11:52 AM

I must've heard wrong... My wife said something about the beaches being closed ... she must've said "there's always the possibility that they may be closed through the summer..." and I heard her wrong, so my apologies there!

Wish we could make it, but we just can't :no:

Planning to keep one of the weeks planned for my vacation for a staycation... if the Parks are open, I'll go for a ride in honor of JIBE.

Thanks for the clarification Angus

markite
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 1-4-2020 at 02:27 PM

Spence I heard Florida, Georgia and Mississippi have now instated stay at home policies - US still seems to be a week and a half to two weeks behind adopting some of the same policies as other countries. In Ontario we are told to be prepared for extension of policies for 12 weeks (not sure if that counts the three weeks of policy already passed). Looking more and more like Fiona and I won't be traveling to see each other until late summer at best, and a lot of talk of possible fall resurgence. But so many variables you never know...Okay that's it don't want divert this JIBE thread away from the actual topic

We might have to do a virtual JIBE putting on our JIBE shirts and take some kind of photo in our buggies to post to this thread

Randy
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 3-4-2020 at 06:00 AM

Some news. The GA Governor issues his own SIP order and there is some confusion as to how it might impact orders concerning closure of parks, beaches etc. I'm staying inside no matter what "for the duration" (whatever that means) so I won't be riding anytime soon anyway. Should the situation warrant it, there is still some hope for Spring JIBE 2020.

NPW Test Pilot -US99
TEDWESLEY

[*] posted on 3-4-2020 at 08:00 AM

I hope everyone does what is best in their situation, changes are happening and no one has a crystal ball.
Plan for the worst case and be happy if it doesn't appear.
Our beaches are closed along with most everything else.
We will sorely miss our JIBE time, but it would be so much worse to have any of the extended family struck down.
Like Angus said,"WASH YOUR HANDS", that seems to be what have just now - your mother was right

Reactors 2.8 3.5 6.9
Peaks 4m 6m 12m
NAPKA US06
Randy
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 3-4-2020 at 09:30 AM

I checked with a newspaper reporter in Brunswick. He says that the beaches will remain closed and they believe the Governors order doesn't change that. The Governor's order goes only till April 13 and the beaches are still closed till April 30. Both dates could easily change though.

NPW Test Pilot -US99
acampbell
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 3-4-2020 at 03:36 PM

simply check with jekyllisland.com There is a banner on top of the home page

https://www.jekyllisland.com/jekyll-island-authority/covid-1...

Yeah it's until the 13th, but I expect it to be extended. It's 5th grade math. Look up the fable of the King and the Chess Board (either the version with rice or wheat), and then realize that people are not paying attention....

I'll start working on 2021!

Angus Campbell
Coastal Wind Sports
912-577-3920 new number

3shot
Posting Freak

Mood: JIBE Talkin'

[*] posted on 3-4-2020 at 05:02 PM

We have missed the last two Jibes. It's not by choice. We think of all our Jekyll friends often. Miss y'all very much. Maybe see everyone again in 2021.

Cross Kites Sonic 3, 5m
Ozone Flow 2, 3, 4, 5m
Ace II 4, 5m
NAPKA-US24
4, 5, 6m ATB landsurfer. Custom longboard deck
Buggy: VTT Black Widow v2.0

http://hint.fm/wind/

Randy
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 3-4-2020 at 06:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by acampbell  
simply check with jekyllisland.com There is a banner on top of the home page

https://www.jekyllisland.com/jekyll-island-authority/covid-1...

Yeah it's until the 13th, but I expect it to be extended. It's 5th grade math. Look up the fable of the King and the Chess Board (either the version with rice or wheat), and then realize that people are not paying attention....

I'll start working on 2021!

:thumbup::thumbup: 2021 will be here before we know it!

NPW Test Pilot -US99
soliver
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-4-2020 at 05:57 AM

Well according to the Atlanta Journal Constitution, Fox News, Gov. Kemp's twittier page and likely some other very reliable media outlets, beaches have been opened only for exercise purposes... so do we think Kite Buggying qualifies as exercise?

Randy
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-4-2020 at 03:17 PM

Depends on if you use a harness or not. :)

NPW Test Pilot -US99
TEDWESLEY

[*] posted on 12-4-2020 at 07:36 AM

And ketchup is a vegetable

Reactors 2.8 3.5 6.9
Peaks 4m 6m 12m
NAPKA US06
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio