Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: buggy speedos
cornishblade

Mood: just chilling

[*] posted on 1-23-2005 at 02:47 PM
buggy speedos

HI,
can anyone tell me of any good systems for recording speeds.Looking to go to GPS but unsure what model to go for. :frog: cheers
dman

Mood: The usual

[*] posted on 1-23-2005 at 05:49 PM

A gps works great for alot of things and even your cheapest units should have a speed readout and highest/average speed achieved. We use them in paragliding to give us our ground speed reading so that we can tell how fast the winds aloft are blowing us. I have a unit that has map info and trip recorders and is generally priced around $250.00 usd but many of my fellow pilots use a Garmin Etrex that sells for around $90.00 and gives them all the info they need. :singing:
TangledStrings

Mood: Naturaly High

[*] posted on 1-23-2005 at 06:55 PM

Try out A Bicycle Speedo. Buy one that can be programed, to your front wheel size. 1"=25.4mm. I use the cats eye speedo. it keeps, Top Speed, Current speed, Disdistance travled, Revolutions per min. And clock. Its also water proof, for when im out in the surf. And for only $14.00 US Dollar, you cant beat em.

erkens

Mood: Smiling

[*] posted on 1-24-2005 at 02:44 PM

I use a Garmin etrex Legend. Its water tight and works as long as the batteries hold out. I use Rechargeable3250 mAh nicel metal hydride batteries. They last de whole day. A bike comp. is an option but notice that there is alway something wrong with the thing. fi cable/censor/comp itself. I use a bike comp. a couple of times, even expensive ones like cateye. It just would work for very long. Thus Garmin Etrex Legend for me is the only option

Greets Marc
buggy2wheeler

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 1-27-2005 at 11:22 PM

I use the basic model of the Garmin Etrex. It works great and is Waterproof. Inexpensive too.

Christoph Riddle
buggy720@sbcglobal.net
cornishblade

Mood: just chilling

[*] posted on 1-28-2005 at 12:38 PM

Thanks , for info.

LOOKS like the Garmin Etrex is the one.
cheers:singing:
TLRDoug

[*] posted on 3-29-2005 at 04:41 PM
I Use a Sigma BC 800

I recently put a Sigma BC 800 on my buggy and I am pretty happy with it. Of course I am just learning, so I do a bit of the OBE, but I might get a speed as I prep to hit teh ground.

Click for a bigger one.

Chip

Mood: Almost on the playa, cant wait!

[*] posted on 3-29-2005 at 06:30 PM

I have a Cateye speedo on mine, though you need to be careful of the wire, my first sensor wire was cut in transit, but fortunately I was able to get a replacement cheap.

The nice thing about a cycle computer is that you don't have to rely on getting satellite signal for accuracy, they are very friendly on batteries, and are light weight.

-chip
erkens

[*] posted on 4-4-2005 at 02:26 AM

oeps
erkens

[*] posted on 4-4-2005 at 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chip
I have a Cateye speedo on mine, though you need to be careful of the wire, my first sensor wire was cut in transit, but fortunately I was able to get a replacement cheap.

The nice thing about a cycle computer is that you don't have to rely on getting satellite signal for accuracy, they are very friendly on batteries, and are light weight.

-chip

If you are on the beach, or in the field you always have satelite signal. Accuracy 5 meters. So this wil never be a problem. Use rechargeble batteries.

Greetz Marc

http://erkens.vliegert.nl

Blade II 4.9 Blade III 6.6 Dominator 2.0 2.6 Tracktion 1.5 3.5 and a BBS Booster BX for a buggie
coreykite

Mood: Who Moo-ed?

[*] posted on 4-16-2005 at 11:31 AM

Buggy-Folk,
I believe you're missing the point.
GPS or cyclocomputer is a matter of taste and choice.
Thankfully we all get to make our own.

It's not a matter of right and wrong, but attributes and application.

The point is the mounting shown in the photo appears to be atop the fork.
Just what gets buried in the sand upon upset.
Any piece of equipment, mounted there, will be destroyed (probable, not mandatory).

I've mounted my CatEye on a pvc tube that is zip-tied to my downtube, just above the side-rail joint and just below my water bottle.
Great protection and easy to read.

I use Zip-ties because I travel with my buggy and they make taking it apart and putting things back together very easy.

My Cateye Enduro 2 came with heavy-duty wiring and two seperate wheel functions. Wheel 1 is more accurate in the 0-20 mph range, showing tenths of a mile is speed and distance. Over 20 mph it displays in .5 mph increments. Wheel 2 is more accurate over 20 mph.
Both can be programmed for different size wheels.
Both have seperate odometer funtions.
Both track the time the wheel is turning so you get "ride-time" and "average speed" in a real-time format.

I bought two of these units and have them mounted on my Buggy and my mountain bike. I use one to record only my buggy time and miles on Ivanpah Dry Lake. I use the other unit on all other locations.
Doesn't mean anything.
Just a lark.
I wanted to know.

In 2002 I logged 488.6 miles on Ivanpah.
Work has increased, so I am only now approaching 1000 miles.

Interesting, the data one can glean from these.

I am often wrong, but never in doubt.

Safen Up! Buggy On!

the coreylama
pkdguy

[*] posted on 4-19-2005 at 06:21 AM

I use 2 GPS units on my libre full race (1) Garmin gps12 & (1) Garmin Etrex
they both are not to expencive and they both retain Max Speed, plus its hard to decice 2 gps units, you can easily compare max speed from each to get your average speed,, dana

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio