Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: beginner
badnews

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 9-11-2004 at 12:56 PM
beginner

Hi everyone, I live in eastbourne, Sussex UK and I am very keen to learn how to kite surf. I was wondering if you would all be kind enough to offer me some advise as to where and what sort of kit I should buy. I know I shouldnt go out and buy expensive stuff as im bound to trash it or myself whilst learning.
Thanks for your time everyone who helps me out
Scoopy

Mood: Always Good

[*] posted on 9-16-2004 at 08:21 AM

The best I could offer would be to get some classes somewhere and let them recommend what equipment to use once you start to get the hang of it and decide this is what you want to do.

Scoop
bondcw

Mood: Waitin' for wind

[*] posted on 9-17-2004 at 02:30 AM

Getting the kit is the easy part - finding the cash is where the trouble starts!
Looking about £550 for the kite then you will have to buy the board etc...
If you aren't already a kite flyer you would need to learn to fly on the land first when you don't have to worry about falling off! Best kite for this would be a blade as you can use these on the water, although they are not water relaunchable, but are a good introduction from what I have seen.
If you are new to power kiting as a sport don't go for a kite over 4m - probabyl smaller now that we are into strong autumnal winds.
Kerry

[*] posted on 9-19-2005 at 01:15 PM

Hi, yeh i was given that advise too, so sound like the stuff to start with, ive got to the kite buying bit, but only a baby one. Im practising on land and can finally keep the kite up in the air, doing some figure 8 turns and a few twists, but don't know what else to try? What sort of skills are needed before progressing onto water? Trying to keep the costs down so want to do as much as i can on my lonesome before splashing on some lessons. Any ideas?

Cheers
Rsole

[*] posted on 9-21-2005 at 12:52 AM
Cheap Gear

New Kit is great but expensive in Europe. 2nd hand has pit falls of getting ripped off. Only buy gear from a dealer or that you have inspected yourself. Feel the material for is condition as a picture tells you nothing.
Cheapest places to buy new; Dubai, Philippines, USA.

Suggestion! (what i do). Go to the Philippines for 2 months, buy kites, live cheaper than at home, kite every day. Return with new kit x2 sell 1 paying for my flight. Its cheper to do this and more fun than buying 2 new kites in your local shop.

New 06 Slingshots, Naish and North are there from Nov.

I'll be buying my new 9,13 Fuels there and then. the 13m cost £600 complete.
gribble

Mood: mad as a hatter

[*] posted on 9-23-2005 at 07:49 AM

Hello all , learning to land board first is a big help . Land boards are genrally cheaper than water ones and you get to learn how to travel with the kite and stay up wind . Pool harbor is a great place to learn where you can do it in knee deep water with no waves or chop,can't remember the name of the shop there (i'll try and find out) but well worth a look if your not to far away. I'd get a land board and practise all winter then get lessons in water next summer . Although that trip to the philippines does sound rather entising ! :singing: Gribble
rrc62

[*] posted on 9-24-2005 at 11:10 AM

Also beware of cheap gear on eBay. In many cases, there is a reason it's cheap. I've seen a number of posts here basically stating "Just bought a kite on eBay and it won't fly and seller is no help." There's more to getting a good deal than paying a cheap price. If you save $200 on eBay but end up with a kite you can't get off the ground, how much did you really save. Unless you know exactly what you're buying, I'd stay away from eBay. You'll pay more at a pro shop, but you get what you pay for.

Ross
gribble

Mood: mad as a hatter

[*] posted on 9-26-2005 at 10:49 AM

The shop at poole harbour is FCWatersports find them at www.poolewindfest.co.uk or give the freindly folk there a ring on 01202 70 77 57
windyboy

[*] posted on 11-25-2005 at 04:57 PM

I have a 9 meter F-one Dream for sale great kite very easy relaunch and super user friendly. It's a 4 line tube. The depower is amazing. The windrange where I have used it in 14 knots-27 knots and was fine. I bought it in 2004 so it has not been damaged or ripped. It's in great condition. I would like $225 for the kite only $325 for it complete. Please email me if you have any questions and If you are interested I can send you some pics.:yes::thumbup::tumble:

Saddhi2000@yahoo.com

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio