Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Anchoring a depower
macboy

Mood: They're ALL good ideas. Right up until they become BAD ideas.

[*] posted on 2-8-2008 at 05:57 PM
Anchoring a depower

Um.....okay. The manual and what I've learned thus far tells me to weigh down the trailing edge and tips with snow while I set up but can't a depower just be parked on an ice screw or peg the same as the fixed bridles? If so, what do you hook down to the peg?

KC07 - Certified Chronic

Rev Shockwave | Brooza II 3 | BusterII's 3/4/5 | Hornet 1.5
Reactor II 5.5/6.9 | AccessXC 10 | Frenzy 12 | PsychoIII 13 | Speed2 12 | Speed3 15 | SA2.5 19
Bomba 15 | Phantom 15/18 | Venom 13 | Slingshot T3 9/11/14m

Skis, Ski Skates, Nobile RM Pro, MBS Pro 90, Kailolo 5' 11" Custom Phish, Kailolo 5'9" Custom Phish, Plyboard, Proof 151, FlydoorM, F-One 198, Coyotes, Comp XR+, and the BEST WIFE IN THE WORLD!

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
~ Thomas Edison
awindofchange

Mood: Awesome - totally awesome

[*] posted on 2-8-2008 at 06:39 PM

You can hook your safety leash onto an Ice screw and it will keep your kite on the ground for you. In shifty or gusty winds the kite might get air under it and flap upwards or if it rolls over it may reverse-launch on you causing a problem. For short breaks you might be able to get away with just staking the leash but for long parked times I would still suggest piling a bunch of snow onto the trailing edge of the kite while it is parked.

For setup and walking out your lines, snow is the best thing to hold your kite down. Pile a bunch onto the trailing edge so wind can't get underneath and when you have your lines sorted/walked out just a couple tugs and the snow will roll off of the trailing edge and you are flying.

Bladerunner

[*] posted on 2-8-2008 at 06:46 PM

Here is a great video that should show you what to do.
http://www.ozonesnowkites.com/video_07instructionalwmv.html

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
krumly

[*] posted on 2-8-2008 at 06:51 PM

Macboy -

I don't think I've seen a manual yet that has steps for or recommends parking a depower foil on the trailing edge (I've looked at Flexifoil, Flysurfer, Ozone, and VioKite). That said, I have a landing line on my VioKite between the rear lines similar to the landing line on Ozones, and I have no problem parking it with a biner around it to my ice screw. I usually let the trim strap out too, out of habit.

I've parked a depower foil that didn't have the self-landing strap by clipping the biner on the depower line on the kite side of the bar so the bar hits against the biner, and also letting the depower strap out. This works in light or medium winds. FWIW, don't try it with a PL Guerilla II. I did it once in high, gusty winds, using a dog stake on land, let the trim strap out, and everything seemed OK. Was rummaging through my gear, turned around, and the thing had raced to the zenith, yanking the stake out of the soft soil. If in doubt, clip the kite to the safety and let it flag out.

krumly

Flying:
1.5 m Ozone LD Stunt
2.2, 3.2, 4.2 m C-Quads
2, 3, 4, 5.5, 7.5m PKD Broozas
9m PL GII, w/ adjustable rear strap mod
Dual mode mod PL GI 13, HArc 6, FArc 12
Cab 5m Convert, 7&9m Xbow, 12m SB
Lots of stunt kites and a Rev Supersonic

Riding:
Libre Special buggy, PL Comp buggy
Line skiboards, & Lib-Tech Park & Pipes
Cabrinha Prodigy kiteboard
DenisLaMenace

[*] posted on 2-8-2008 at 08:54 PM

with flysurfer and ozones,

I used an ice screw, dog screw or stake depending on ground type.

I have a 3ft leash with hooks on both ends. One end to the screw. the other end, I tie it to both rear lines on a flysurfer, or the line between the rear lines of an ozone, then I hook the chicken loop to the hook too.

another way here: on a Psycho3 that have the handles on the rear lines passed through the bar. dont read the blog, it's in french :spin:

http://fullchoke.blogspot.com/2007/01/plus-besoin-de-5-ime-l...

krumly

[*] posted on 2-8-2008 at 09:29 PM

Buzz -

With the Flysurfer, I presume you mean you just clip the leash to both rear lines pulled together to the center of the bar (similar to the "fullchoke" link)? Or do the FS's have O-s&*t loops or rings further up the rear lines to clip to?

What's the reason for picking up the chicken loop too - just some extra security? Seems to me any tension on the chicken loop would tend towards powering the kite up, if for some weird reason the rear lines came unclipped. In any case, I'd let the trimmer all the way out.

Kent's right about the risk of wind getting under the trailing edge, and the possibility of a reverse launch if the kite rolls. I usually let the bar go to safety and flag the kite. I'm guilty of letting my PL GII stay parked at the zenith on occasion, for a minute or two.

krumly

Flying:
1.5 m Ozone LD Stunt
2.2, 3.2, 4.2 m C-Quads

Riding:
DenisLaMenace

[*] posted on 2-8-2008 at 09:43 PM

with the Psycho3 I dont have the handles, so I just grab both lines with the snap hook at the same time as the loop.

Passing the bar through the handles is not necessary. I have the handles on the Pulse, and I just grab them with the hook and the loop.

I was septic about hooking the loop too. It's nothing about extra security. But what it does, it keeps the kite inflated but the kite stalls and does not try to fly. So the kite still inflated, it does not tend to flap, flip, etc. Bridles stay clean. Easier to restart. It's kind of it pulls on the rear lines enough but not too much.

This will not work into strong winds. Always worked into medium and light winds. In stronger winds I use the 5th line.

barnes

Mood: Wind!

[*] posted on 2-9-2008 at 03:32 PM

My speed has the handles as well, and are awesome. 5th line also works well, but needs a lot of tension so the kite likes to drift downwind til it catches.

Kites: 16m PL Scorpion, 9m & 14m 06 Best Waroo
Vehicles: Thrift store snowboard, fraken-ATB, Old Litewave water board.
motman

Mood: Wee!!!

[*] posted on 2-9-2008 at 11:08 PM

Why is parking such a big deal?

Is that honestly the hardest part of kiting to you? :lol:
powerzone

[*] posted on 2-10-2008 at 09:25 AM

Hey Barnes: nice Flickr pictures by the way... some good shots of Brian on the Speed1.5, but none of you... curious how your weekend went, looked like fun.

for FS users who have the PSS handles.... as people have mentioned they work well to flag the kite on either window or FDS works well too.

another method: on SOFT ground or soft snow, you can walk on top of the 5th line, stepping on it all the way up to the kite then pack it up... this obviously involves digression as to if it will damage the line.

Pacific NW Flysurfer Representative & Repair Center

www.powerzonekitesports.com
kiteNH

[*] posted on 2-10-2008 at 09:47 AM

Is an ice screw purely for use on frozen lakes? It isn't something that you'd use on frozen ground right? I was going to grab one but they cost $57 at EMS which seemed awfully steep for what I want to use it for (my life won't be hanging in the balance like an ice climber).

If ice screws are only for lakes then what do people use for ground anchors on frozen, snow covered ground? We only have about a foot of snow right now so getting to the earth isn't a problem but there is no way to drive in a stake right now. It's hard enough in the summer with our rock laden New England soil.

Buzz, what is a "dog screw" and what type of surface would you use that for?

On the Ozone video they didn't seem to stake the kite out at all, but it also looked like they were out there in pretty mild winds.

macboy, have you gotten out with the new Access yet? I'm hoping to make the maiden voyage with mine this afternoon. Can't wait.

KYTE SLINGER

Mood: freestyle tactician

[*] posted on 2-10-2008 at 10:01 AM

dog screw

http://www.furrypharm.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=1090

in softer snow a person can pour a little H2o around it to help freeze the snow around it...

I was working on a easy portable anchor system the a snow kiter could use and was easy to use w/o hammer or worries that it could be pulled out from lateral pulling but it ended up on the back self and I haven't gotten around in making the final proto type.....
macboy

[*] posted on 2-10-2008 at 10:53 AM

The wind's blowing 28km/h right now but it's supposed to ease off a bit in a few hours (to half that). I'll be keeping an eye on it and will head out to set up the Access if it drops a bit for me for the first time out with it.

I've often wondered if you couldn't rig some sort of anchor - much like the ones used on small boats that, if the kite did tug it would just pile itself deeper into the snow. Probably not pracitcal given the size the anchor would have to be.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6626123-0-large.jpg

KC07 - Certified Chronic

Reactor II 5.5/6.9 | AccessXC 10 | Frenzy 12 | PsychoIII 13 | Speed2 12 | Speed3 15 | SA2.5 19

Skis, Ski Skates, Nobile RM Pro, MBS Pro 90, Kailolo 5' 11" Custom Phish, Kailolo 5'9" Custom Phish, Plyboard, Proof 151, FlydoorM, F-One 198, Coyotes, Comp XR+, and the BEST WIFE IN THE WORLD!

~ Thomas Edison
krumly

[*] posted on 2-10-2008 at 03:12 PM

I've heard of people using their boards as a snow anchor if set edgwise into packed snow, but we rarely get enough depth around here for that to be an option. I've used my icescrews into frozen earth a few times - worked fine, but getting the core out required thawing it and rinsing. It wouldn't just knock out like ice, and it does dull the tip fast.

For deeper, packed snow, I wonder if a bent aluminum plate like a climber's snow fluke would work? But that would be a sizeable thing to haul around.

Screws are expensive, and are a rare item to find used. Search the web, and keep a close watch on Ebay. I've picked up 4 Petzl Charlet screws over a couple years, never paying more than $28, but it took some hunting.

krumly

Flying:
1.5 m Ozone LD Stunt
2.2, 3.2, 4.2 m C-Quads

Riding:
strictlycarved

[*] posted on 2-10-2008 at 04:29 PM

throw a ice axe in the ground that will keep it down
macboy

[*] posted on 2-10-2008 at 11:18 PM

Well, I clipped into the chicken loop with the primary safety released and she sat nicely waiting for me to reset the tophat, pick up the bar and go. Took a bit of sorting but that seemed the best option. Clipping onto the handbrake was too much brake and it flip flopped all over the place.

KC07 - Certified Chronic

~ Thomas Edison
DenisLaMenace

[*] posted on 2-11-2008 at 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by macboy
Clipping onto the handbrake was too much brake and it flip flopped all over the place.

this is the reason when I hook the brakes that I hook the chicken loop at the same time. when you gives too much brake the kite tends to flip, or the wind pass below the kite and the kite tends to lift.

by hooking both the brake and the chicken loop, the kite stays inflated, but will not lift. it stalls there ready to go.

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio