Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Canoe on lake
Sthrasher38
Posting Freak

Mood: Stable ;)

[*] posted on 29-10-2007 at 04:49 PM
Canoe on lake

Has anyone tried this? I live in Marysville Ca. About 30 min. from Sacremento and in the middle of town is a good size lake. It is not clean enough to be boarding in its more less a duck pond. But right down the middle is a good wide strech maybe a quarter or half mile long I know you need to be able to carve somewhat and there will be no way to stop but when I get to the end I figure I can just hit the zenith and then just turn around in the canoe:yes: Do you think this will work? I will try it soon when the wind picks up and if it works I know I will make the front page of the paper. The rules are no motor boats or no swimming. But they say nothing about power kiting in a canoe!:smilegrin:Thoughts please.:borg:
domdino

[*] posted on 29-10-2007 at 05:35 PM

HAHAHAHAHA!

That's the only thought i have to submit i'm afraid :)

Go for it though :) :D i love the mind of us kiters, we're always spying ways to get pulled around by the wind :cool:

Pdxnebula

Mood: Freezin, searching for the Wind...

[*] posted on 29-10-2007 at 07:01 PM

Go For it... Sounds like something I'd love to do... Esspecially if its bucking the system... Post some pictures for all of us, when you make the front page too!!!
:yes:

56\"Thunderfoil:
72\"Thunderfoil(quadline):
HQ RushII 250:
ProFoil 1.5mē,3.5mē:
PKD\"Buster\" 9.0mē
8\' Delta Coyne:
art_lessing

[*] posted on 29-10-2007 at 09:10 PM

that sounds so fun....I was thinking about how it would be in a kayak or mini sail boat..that way you could use the keel for lateral force.....a modified kayak would be awesome....just don't let the kite hit the drink because it will either pop or become an anchor......I would do it before it gets too cold too........

DQ

Teds Profoil1.5 (man that thing\'s fast)
Pansh Legend 2.0, 4.5, 5.5
PKD Buster 3.0
NPW9 3.4
Homebuilt Buggy \"the Q-bug\"
#106 on this page
http://pic7.piczo.com/Popeyethewelder/?g=41859403&cr=7
my music...blatant self promotion
www.artlessing.com
www.myspace.com/art_lessing
BeamerBob
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 30-10-2007 at 04:34 AM

I see you breaking the no swimming rule before its all over.

Speaking of breaking the rules: Our neighborhood has a large pond. They have a rule about no "gasoline" powered boats. I really want to find a diesel powered ski boat, and go rip it up over there one afternoon just to prove a point. There aren't any rules about wakes or skiing or anything, just no gasoline. I love pushing buttons.:evil:

Coastal Wind Sports Team Rider
Landsegler Disc wheels
PTW Hero Buggy - XXtreme ApeXX Buggy US 88 - Libre Hardcore
IvanpahBuggyExpo.com
Youtube link
Bob Muse
HQ Montana X 8m, Montana IX 12m, HQ Ignition LEI 5m,
PL Phantom 12m, 15m, Big Blu 24m+, Synergy 10m, Venom 10m, 13m , Phantom II 12m Vapors 3.8, 5.4, Crosskite Sonic 7m, PKD Combat 10.3m
Uturn Butane 2.5m PKD Buster 3m Genetrix Hydra 7m Ozone Yakuza GT 14m
flyhigh142

[*] posted on 30-10-2007 at 08:37 AM

Just out of curiosity, How do you plan to keep the canoe from just sliding downwind? Do you have fins or those little ribs running down the sides? (I obviously don't know diddly about boats) I'd have a friend come along to help pull you back to shore and for video. Can't wait. Good luck!

Flexifoil Super 10 (broken, got a spare spar?)
Profoil 1.5
PKD Brooza 2.0
Beamer 2.5
Revolution Power Blast 2-4
Rage 3.5
Century 3.5
Haka 5.0
Flexi Wide Axle
Doomwheels
acampbell
Posting Freak

Mood: Digging Deserts and Mts.

[*] posted on 30-10-2007 at 09:05 AM

Rig some daggerboards over the gunwalls (sp?) amidships and see if you can hold a line on a beam reach (kite to the side).

Angus Campbell
Coastal Wind Sports
where life is better when it blows!
912-577-3920 new number

Find out about Jekyll Island
art_lessing

[*] posted on 30-10-2007 at 12:38 PM

build one of these babys

with a feet steering conversion and you wouldn't have to bother with the sail parts!!

might be a good winter project for summer use!!

http://www.pdracer.com/

DQ

PKD Buster 3.0
NPW9 3.4
#106 on this page
www.artlessing.com
Sthrasher38
Posting Freak

Mood: Stable ;)

[*] posted on 2-11-2007 at 02:24 PM

Good idea Art but it takes all the fun out of it thats not flying. Also the lake is only abot 10ft. deep so maybe and anchor would be a good thing. Acampbell, What? Flyhigh, I dont know. No modifacations. Bob, your most likely right about the swimming thing. Nebula your right about the fun thing. I will do my best to get some pics. Still need to find a small canoe. Domdino, Being afraid is half the fun.:borg: Thanks all! I love sharing crazy ideas.
art_lessing

[*] posted on 21-11-2007 at 05:22 PM

I was thinking of building one of these boats minus the sail rig..and then flying over the lake to pull the boat.....you would have to have a fairly big keel for the side pull though......

PKD Buster 3.0
NPW9 3.4
#106 on this page
www.artlessing.com
Pablo
Posting Freak

Mood: Stoked

[*] posted on 21-11-2007 at 06:36 PM

Well doesn't the sail generate a fair amount of side loading? I'd imagine if it can be sail powered it can be kite powered.

Sysmic S1 Buggy.

0.7m / 1.4m / 2.0m PKD Buster I
4.4m PKD Buster
10m JoJo RM+

6m Flysurfer Outlaw
12m Ozone Access
canuck

[*] posted on 21-11-2007 at 10:23 PM

I pulled my brother-in-law's ski boat a mile or so down the lake with a 3m dual line foil - he had to get out in another boat to help me launch, then I had to land the kite in the lake at the upwind end because the wind was blowing too strong to keep flying at the zenith while motoring back up the lake (and my arms were about to fall off).

I'm with Angus on the daggerboards or even an outrigger. Check this out
http://www.paddlermagazine.com/issues/2000_6/article_82.shtm...

Still don't think you would be able to tack back upwind or paddle with your kite at the zenith but go for it.

FB: Pro Foil 5.5m, PL Reactor II 3.5m, Radsail 3m
Depower: GIN Shaman 12m & 6m, Shaman2 9m (incoming), PL Venom II 13m, Venom I 10m

HQ Powerkites seat harness
Salomon snowblade 90, straight & shaped skis
PL Comp ST buggy, MBS Comp 16 Pro, Coyote All Terrain Rollerblades
BodyGlove wakeskis
bake

[*] posted on 31-8-2008 at 08:57 PM

This summer I talked a buddy into setting down our beers while I launched my wifes 2.5 PDK (thanks Pablo) and got in the front of a double kayak, his job was to steer but....he turned us downwind immediately and we caught up to the kite and drowned it.

After drying the kite off we tried again but alas even though it was one of my better ideas it just couldn't come to fruit, which was probably a blessing in disguise. I do have the photo's :singing:
furbowski
Posting Freak

Mood: stuck on a small island with big trees and tiny beaches...

[*] posted on 31-8-2008 at 09:13 PM

you've inspired me! I'll give it a try sometime, but think I might have to wait for a steering person who understands buggy / ATB / kitesurf / kite ski and keeping the lines tight by holding enough of a crosswind line...

fixed bridles, flying static, been two years now... ??? folks must be wondering....

sting 1.7, dp power 2.5, crossfire 3.2, ace 5, blade iv 6.5, ace 8, ace 12...

also a couple of arcs, 12 syn and 12 phanny, but i\'m not yet up to speed on them.

(13.11.09)
bobalooie57
Posting Freak

Mood: Windy

[*] posted on 3-4-2009 at 08:26 AM

I own two coleman inflatable kayaks, and first tried kiting in them with a single line 42" delta kite. The local river flows E-W, and with prevailing W wind, was able to go upstream by wind power. Of course there was no control (though the way my butt causes the inflatable to sink in the middle kind of acts like a centerboard) This got me into the idea of using a stunt-kite (two-line, for control) but I never got good at flying that one. I once flew my 3.5m open cell foil too close to the shore of L. Ontario, and soon found out how good of a sea anchor they can be!! (Not recommended!) Now am interested in the HQ hydra series of Closed cell trainers. Anyone flown the 350? I am looking for a high wind kite I can use on land, snow or water, and this looks like it could fit the bill. B.

Team MEAN GREEN

Bob Lussier

OUTLAW KITER
1.4M Beamer III, 2M Beamer IV,2M Toxic HQ , 7.5MApex III, HQ, Quadrifoil XXXL (9.66M), NPW5 2.4,4.8m, NPW9 3.4M(HQ),NPW9 7M (RASTA\'S FURY), NPW9 7.6M (BIG SISTAH),NPW9 12MGREENMONSTER(km4), P L Comp ST buggy,PL Bigfoot+ buggy, Atomic Alibi Snowboard, Protec Knee/Elbow Pads & Helmet, Seirus wristguards, Demon crash shorts, LaCross chest/shoulder pads. (tryin\' to be safe!)
macboy
Posting Freak

Mood: They're ALL good ideas. Right up until they become BAD ideas.

[*] posted on 3-4-2009 at 08:31 AM

:singing:

KC07 - Certified Chronic

Rev Shockwave | Brooza II 3 | BusterII's 3/4/5 | Hornet 1.5
Reactor II 5.5/6.9 | AccessXC 10 | Frenzy 12 | PsychoIII 13 | Speed2 12 | Speed3 15 | SA2.5 19
Bomba 15 | Phantom 15/18 | Venom 13 | Slingshot T3 9/11/14m

Skis, Ski Skates, Nobile RM Pro, MBS Pro 90, Kailolo 5' 11" Custom Phish, Kailolo 5'9" Custom Phish, Plyboard, Proof 151, FlydoorM, F-One 198, Coyotes, Comp XR+, and the BEST WIFE IN THE WORLD!

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
~ Thomas Edison
bigben91682

[*] posted on 3-4-2009 at 01:52 PM

My pop has a Hobie adventure Island kayak, which is essentially a trimaran kayak with a sail. I'm going to try and rig up a rudder to go through the mirage drive opening (so I can steer with my feet, like a buggie) and hopefully actually be able to get upwind using a kite....

The sail/mast is removable so I'm hoping the kayak/outriggers make a good kiting platform.

Wish me luck on what is hopefully a fun summer project.

http://www.hobiecat.com/adventure-island/models_adventure_is...
windummie

Mood: Elevated

[*] posted on 16-3-2013 at 06:18 PM
Canoe Kiting

Hi everyone,
very interesting topic. I have experience rigging and building sailing canoes. I have been working on a prototype kite-hull, essentially a modded cedar canoe that I designed and built. Essentially it has two lee boards located at midship, they pivot. No rudder needed to steer, by shifting your weight fore (while in old straps from my kiteboard) and aft you can point the stem to jibe and come about in sync with the kite. The lee board pivot allows you to trim the hull in relation to lateral force from the pull. It ain't perfect yet but this season I hope to get it dialed in. I will post some pictures this season so you can see the design; very simple DIY for someone with basic woodworking skills and a canoe. My gopro went to meet Davey Jones last season so the only photos I had are sleeping with the fishes.

Best Waroo 16, Griffin Argo 11.5, Ozone Access 10, 6, Pansh Legend 3, Flexi tracker, Spark, exocet canoe,
I would rather be down here wishing I was up there than up there wishing I was down here.
erratic winds
Posting Freak

Mood: ATGATT! Armor up!

[*] posted on 16-3-2013 at 10:51 PM

would love to see it!

Tide? What's a tide? Man, it's 1000 miles to any ocean.
BEC

Mood: I have the WildWood Blues....

[*] posted on 17-3-2013 at 05:58 AM

There is someone on our lake that has one of these...Awesome little rigs. As soon as I got home I quickly looked one up cause I wanted one...Saw the price tag and told myself...you're not getting one of those....haha.
If there ever was a rig to pull off using with a kite, this would be the one. Love how the outriggers pull into the main part of the boat too.

Quote:
Originally posted by bigben91682
My pop has a Hobie adventure Island kayak, which is essentially a trimaran kayak with a sail.
http://www.hobiecat.com/adventure-island/models_adventure_is...

1.8 Flexifoil Rage
2.5 Flexifoil Rage (new version)
3.5 Flexifoil Rage
4.7 Flexifoil Rage
2.0 Flexifoil Blade II
4.0 Flexifoil Blade II
6.6 Flexifoil Blade III
8.5 Flexifoil Blade III
5.0 Flexifoil Blurr
7.0 Flexifoil Bullet

NAPKA member US822
SS. Flexifoil buggy w/ both wide and std. axle Custom VTT seat

Running both Bigfoot -N- barrows
BEC

Mood: I have the WildWood Blues....

[*] posted on 17-3-2013 at 06:01 AM

Maybe try one of those fan boats...Engine isn't even in the water to pollute which is probably the reason for no boats...They will be speechless...Talk about loud too. haha
Quote:
Originally posted by BeamerBob
I see you breaking the no swimming rule before its all over.

Speaking of breaking the rules: Our neighborhood has a large pond. They have a rule about no "gasoline" powered boats. I really want to find a diesel powered ski boat, and go rip it up over there one afternoon just to prove a point. There aren't any rules about wakes or skiing or anything, just no gasoline. I love pushing buttons.:evil:

1.8 Flexifoil Rage
2.5 Flexifoil Rage (new version)
3.5 Flexifoil Rage
4.7 Flexifoil Rage
2.0 Flexifoil Blade II
4.0 Flexifoil Blade II
6.6 Flexifoil Blade III
8.5 Flexifoil Blade III
5.0 Flexifoil Blurr
7.0 Flexifoil Bullet

NAPKA member US822
SS. Flexifoil buggy w/ both wide and std. axle Custom VTT seat