Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: advice for beginner
colm2305

[*] posted on 6-18-2007 at 03:52 PM
advice for beginner

hi im looking to get into landboarding and am looking for some advice

i surf here in ireland but need something for these summer months when the swell is low but the wind is still strong

i think landboarding looks great and am interested in getting the equipment and getting started. i have flown friends kites before in pretty heavy winds so not yet an expert but have the basics. my plan was to invest in a kite and get to a comftorable level flying it then add on the landboard a few weeks down the line. is this a good plan? wind gets pretty heavy here in ireland and my big thrill seek is to get some heavy crossshores and speed from one end of the beach to the other

i understand in every sport the initial equipment will only suit ur learning curve for a while but something i can fly and when good enough get on the landboard that hopefully wont become too basic for a year is what im after

any advice on kite? size? make? im dying to get flying at least but want to be sure when the time comes i can use that same kite with a landboard

any advice much appreciated
Pablo

Mood: Stoked

[*] posted on 6-18-2007 at 05:31 PM

Couple questions, heavy smooth wind or gusty? Any idea what type of wind speeds we're looking at, how much do you weigh?

Normally people start on a 4 line foil, probably in a 3m range, if you've got wind then this kite will be great for learning on but also double as your high wind kite down the road. If you live in a super windy place and are light, you may need a 2m kite to start. Most people usually end up adding something in a 5m size down the road for lower/normal wind conditions.

Spend some time learning the kite, could take a day, could take a month. You want to be able to fly the kite no problem, putting it where you want it in the sky. One other thing, you'll want to be able to fly the kite without having to watch it every second, more by feel. Once you get on the board you'll need to be focusing on where you're going, not what the kites doing. When you can fly the kite without watching it every second and have enough power in the kite to drag you 5-10ft down the beach it's usually time to get on a board/buggy.

Sysmic S1 Buggy.

0.7m / 1.4m / 2.0m PKD Buster I
4.4m PKD Buster
10m JoJo RM+

6m Flysurfer Outlaw
12m Ozone Access
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
colm2305

[*] posted on 6-19-2007 at 04:08 AM

thanks for advice pablo,

very rarely smooth wind here, almost always gusty, 10-15mph would be pretty average wind for the coast here, very rarely drops below 5, and often goes and stays above 20mph for a while

i weigh 68kg (think thats 10.6 stone-ish)

what kinda wind would a 3metre kite work in? would you advice a bar too?

thanks again for advice
B-Roc

[*] posted on 6-19-2007 at 06:08 AM

I weigh 66kg and I fly my 2.5 meter in 15+ mph winds and put it away around 25mph and think its sweet spot is around 20 mph.

Given that you are slightly more heavy and a 3m slightly more big, you should expect about the same useable range.

For boarding, my 5.5 and 4m kites see the most use. I'd recommend you start with a 4m and if the winds are crappy and gusty, a lower aspect kite will handle and absorb the wind better.

Bars aren't necessary for fixed bridled kites but can be used - though you sacrafice brake control. Bars are necessary for depower kites. Handles are common and less expensive and offer more control over a fixed bridled kite.

Depower Quiver: 14m Gin Eskimo, 10m Gin Eskimo III, 6m Gin Yeti, 4.5m Gin Yeti (custom bridle and mixer)
Fixed Bridle Quiver: MAC Bego 400, JOJO ET Instinct 2.5 & 5.5, Lil Devil 1.5, Sting 1.2
Rides: Ground Industries
colm2305

[*] posted on 6-19-2007 at 08:19 AM

thanks for post, good to get an idea from someone of similiar weight. i reckon ill go down kite shop today and talk to the guy working there (apparently he knows his stuff) and if he recomends a 4metre kite ill go for that. im eager to get boarding but would like to master the kite grounded first, is this possible or is a 4metre kite too powerful to fly without wheels?
B-Roc

[*] posted on 6-19-2007 at 09:01 AM

No kite is too powerful to fly without wheels. You just go out in bigger winds when you have wheels.

Go out in low winds at first and then higher as you build your confidence and learn to control the kite.

I'm sure the shop will make a recommendation but I'd say you don't want to be out in winds above 10mph at first.

Should probably get some kite killers too.

Depower Quiver: 14m Gin Eskimo, 10m Gin Eskimo III, 6m Gin Yeti, 4.5m Gin Yeti (custom bridle and mixer)
Fixed Bridle Quiver: MAC Bego 400, JOJO ET Instinct 2.5 & 5.5, Lil Devil 1.5, Sting 1.2
colm2305

[*] posted on 6-19-2007 at 11:48 AM

think im gonna order me a mac bego 400, i read some good reviews and seems it'll suit boarding pretty good. thanks for advice and i'm sure to be back for more!
B-Roc

[*] posted on 6-19-2007 at 12:29 PM

Bego 400 is a sweet kite. Very lifty with tremendous up-wind ability. I had a blast with it this past winter with skis and some good sessions on the landboard too and its a hoot to fly / jump static.

Be careful with it though, it is very powerful and it really wants to lift so you don't get a break with it when you park it over head. Its always pulling but it is a great kite.

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio