Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Silver Strand State Beach, Coronado, San Diego, CA for buggy?
Windstruck

Mood: Get in my buggy!

question.gif posted on 9-19-2019 at 01:54 PM
Silver Strand State Beach, Coronado, San Diego, CA for buggy?

SoCalers,

Does anyone know the rules and regulations regarding the ability to kite buggy along the shore of the Silver Strand Beach State Park at the south end of Coronado island? I'd be talking about riding when it is comparatively empty, not when bang full of bathers. I do know this is a popular and legal kite boarding beach.

Thanks! :karate:

Born-Kites:
RaceStar+ (3.0m, 5.0m, 7.0m, 9.0m, 14.0m)
RaceStar (9.0m, 11.0m)
NasaStar-4 (2.5m, 4.0m, 5.5m, 7.0m)
NasaStar-3 (custom 3.2m)

Flysurfer Kites:
Peak-5 (2.5m)

Buggy:
Peter Lynn BigFoot+ nose & tail; midsection VTT rail & seat kit; home-brewed AQR

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT0003
ColinW

[*] posted on 9-19-2019 at 06:17 PM

Does this mean that someone is moving to San Diego and wants to know about prospective buggy spots, OR, does it mean that someone is thinking of moving to San Diego and will make the move if and only if there is a buggiable beach within reach?
Not that it's any of my business;)
Windstruck

[*] posted on 9-19-2019 at 08:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ColinW  
Does this mean that someone is moving to San Diego and wants to know about prospective buggy spots, OR, does it mean that someone is thinking of moving to San Diego and will make the move if and only if there is a buggiable beach within reach?

Ha! Answer: C, which is a hybrid of your possibilities A & B. We are considering the possibility of a move at some point to San Diego and I of course am thinking about where I could buggy. El Mirage playa is about half way to Ivanpah which is a sweet thought. The beach in question is right across the street from a community we were looking at. Several miles long and largely perpendicular to prevailing onshore winds. It was virtually deserted at around Noon on a Wednesday in mid-September and it got me thinking that low tide could be interesting during lousy beach weather which of course would be great buggy weather! It's a popular kiteboarding spot so huge LEIs are allowed to be managed on shore. I'm suspecting it will be forbidden but I wanted to check!

Born-Kites:
RaceStar (9.0m, 11.0m)
NasaStar-3 (custom 3.2m)

Flysurfer Kites:
Peak-5 (2.5m)

Buggy:
Peter Lynn BigFoot+ nose & tail; midsection VTT rail & seat kit; home-brewed AQR

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT0003
Bladerunner

[*] posted on 9-20-2019 at 06:22 AM

That sounds like the beach Terrablader used to use?

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
Randy

[*] posted on 9-20-2019 at 09:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Windstruck  

Ha! Answer: C, which is a hybrid of your possibilities A & B. We are considering the possibility of a move at some point to San Diego and I of course am thinking about where I could buggy. El Mirage playa is about half way to Ivanpah which is a sweet thought. The beach in question is right across the street from a community we were looking at. Several miles long and largely perpendicular to prevailing onshore winds. It was virtually deserted at around Noon on a Wednesday in mid-September and it got me thinking that low tide could be interesting during lousy beach weather which of course would be great buggy weather! It's a popular kiteboarding spot so huge LEIs are allowed to be managed on shore. I'm suspecting it will be forbidden but I wanted to check!

I know this answer is probably too simple, but did you see a sign with beach rules? Usually they one that says things like "Swim at your own risk. No Alcoholic Beverages, No Pets, No this or that...."

If it doesn't prohibit kite buggy then you might be ok. Since Kitesurfers use it, seems like there is a decent chance you could use it. I'd keep a low profile and only go when the place is deserted though.

NPW Test Pilot -US99
Windstruck

[*] posted on 9-20-2019 at 12:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Randy  

I know this answer is probably too simple, but did you see a sign with beach rules? Usually they one that says things like "Swim at your own risk. No Alcoholic Beverages, No Pets, No this or that...."

If it doesn't prohibit kite buggy then you might be ok. Since Kitesurfers use it, seems like there is a decent chance you could use it. I'd keep a low profile and only go when the place is deserted though.

That's sort of how I was looking at things. I didn't go deep enough into the "park" to see any signage but I too bet traction kites are OK as folks kiteboard there regularly and land their bag ass LEIs on the beach so why not? Agreed that I should test these waters when the place is a ghost town.

Born-Kites:
RaceStar (9.0m, 11.0m)
NasaStar-3 (custom 3.2m)

Flysurfer Kites:
Peak-5 (2.5m)

Buggy:

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT0003
Windstruck

[*] posted on 9-20-2019 at 12:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Randy  

That's sort of how I was looking at things. I didn't go deep enough into the "park" to see any signage but I too bet traction kites are OK as folks kiteboard there regularly and land their bag ass LEIs on the beach so why not? Agreed that I should test these waters when the place is a ghost town.

Born-Kites:
RaceStar (9.0m, 11.0m)
NasaStar-3 (custom 3.2m)

Flysurfer Kites:
Peak-5 (2.5m)

Buggy:

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT0003
jeffnyc

Mood: In the

[*] posted on 9-20-2019 at 02:09 PM

I got curious... here's what I found (looks old - 2009)
http://www.sandydan.com/sports/kitesurf/beaches/coronado/rul...

And the kite forum spot writeup:
https://se.kiteforum.com/kitesurf/spot/coronado_island___sil...

... and a little further down is Imperial (which sounds cool at low tide maybe? If the rocks they talk about aren't in the way...):
https://se.kiteforum.com/kitesurf/spot/imperial_beach

and Imperial surfline cams:
https://www.surfline.com/surf-reports-forecasts-cams/united-...

iKitesurf forecast (10 knots right now, that's doable!):
https://wx.ikitesurf.com/map#32.627,-117.188,12,1,!421,1

Sorry I can't give you any first hand info, I have yet to get to San Diego, so I'll thank you in advance for inviting me over for a weekend :evil: Looks like a great place for a big kite and a foil.

Foil: Speed5 18+12 | Speed3 15 | Sonic2 9m | Peak 5 4m
Arc: Phantom I 12m+18m
LEI: LF WOW 9m
FB: Flux 5m | Bullet 4.5 | Blurr 3.5 + 2.5 | Rage 2.5 | Beamer 1.8
Ride: Flexi Haize | MBS core 90 | SS Vision 140 | Mako 140 + King 165 | King Gee | SS Hover Glide | WB 5'6" | Burton Floater
NAPKA NCC-US1701
Bladerunner

[*] posted on 9-21-2019 at 08:45 AM

I can not copy it but if you search terrablader he posts about riding there.

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
Windstruck

[*] posted on 9-21-2019 at 10:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bladerunner  
I can not copy it but if you search terrablader he posts about riding there.

Thanks Ken! Just sent him a U2U.

Born-Kites:
RaceStar (9.0m, 11.0m)
NasaStar-3 (custom 3.2m)

Flysurfer Kites:
Peak-5 (2.5m)

Buggy:

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT0003

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio