Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: It's time to REPEAL THE RAT!!!
Lack-O-Slack

Mood: Domestically blissful...

[*] posted on 4-26-2007 at 06:01 PM
It's time to REPEAL THE RAT!!!

Hi again, folks... another post from Scott Silver, with some good news this time. Efforts are under way to repeal the malodorous RAT (Recreation Access Tax), named by our gubbermint as the FLREA (Federal Lands Recreation "Enhancement" Act).

PLEASE READ ON...

In the early days of fee-demo, the US Forest Service concentrated its effort to transform recreation into Disneyfied products, goods and services near urban centers. They focused upon those parts of the country where they expected the least resistance. For example, they converted the four major
forests of Southern California located within a hundred miles of Disneyland into one great big pay-to-play "Enterprise Forest" where even basic entry was prohibited except to "Adventure Pass" holders. Yet at the same time the agencies largely avoided implementing fee-demo in the conservative,
more-traditional, West. Barely a fee was charged in the Big Sky state of Montana.

The Forest Service knew exactly from where the most hostile reaction to their Disneyfication agenda would come. They avoided confrontation in those regions for as long as possible. Only with the passage of the RAT did the land management agencies begin expanding and extending their commercialization / privatization agenda into every corner of the nation. And now that they've done so, the backlash they long feared, is bursting forth uncontrollably.

It is with great pleasure that I share the news that the RAT is in serious trouble on many fronts. Opposition has materialized in all quarters and, based upon the appended article from NewWest, it appears likely that the senior Senator from Montana, Max Baucus, will introduce legislation to
REPEAL THE RAT. Not only that --- in an area long considered "safe" by the USFS, the California Legislature will vote this week on a resolution (AJR-21) calling upon Congress to REPEAL THE RAT.

The RAT has not a friend in the world.
The RAT has no where to hide.
The time has come to REPEAL THE RAT.

Scott

---- begin quoted ---

http://www.newwest.net/index.php/topic/article/baucus_berate...
icy/C41/L41/

SENATOR SERIOUS ABOUT REPEALING RAT
Baucus Berates Recreation Fee Policy
By Bill Schneider, 4-21-07

U.S. Senator Max Baucus (D-MT) is no fan of recreation fees. Or the Federal Lands Recreation Act (FLREA), often called the Recreation Access Tax or RAT by fee opponents.

FLREA or RAT, depending on whether you collect or pay the fees, was tacked on a must-pass spending bill in December 2004, creating the authority agencies now use to aggressively increase the number of fee-based recreation sites and to substantial increase in existing fees.

But unlike many other politicians who oppose the recreation fees as a method for funding federal agencies, Baucus is seriously considering doing something about it. Something like, repealing it.

Max and I go way back, to the early 1980s, when he was in my Governor's Cup Marathon Clinic and probably ran fastest marathon ever, 3:01:18, by any sitting U.S. Senator. One of the fastest, no doubt.

So, when his press manager, Barrett Kaiser, set me up to have coffee with Max earlier today, he warned me that his boss only had 30 minutes. Translate: use it wisely. Nonetheless, we had to talk about running, and how bummed I was that he outlasted me. Max still wants to do a hundred-miler,
and I'm so lame I can't run around the block. Where's the fairness in that?

Anyway, back to business. Only 15 minutes left!

"It's all wrong," Max answers when asked about escalating recreation fees on federal lands. "These are public lands, and public lands are for the public. People pay for them with their taxes. They shouldn't have to pay for them twice."

His family holdings are intermingled with public lands north of Helena, and he also talked about how close proximity to public lands increase private property values.

"Public lands are what distinguishes Montana from other states and other countries," Baucus said, "Fees shouldn't be used to keep people off their lands. I've already expressed my concern about these fees to Gail Kimball (new chief of the Forest Service).

"Fees are the cousin of privatization," Baucus believes. "I sort of view us (members as Congress) as the hired hands who take care of public lands for the people who own them."

Critics of RAT has long believed that the incremental process of
"demonstrating" recreation sites (i.e. start charging fees), increasing existing fees, and turning over some sites to private operators, who will charge fees, is gradually privatizing and commercializing the public lands. The Bush administration has strongly pushed fee-charging policies, seeking what has been termed "full cost recovery."

The end result, critics claim, is national parks and forest becoming steadily less accessible and affordable to lower and middle income Americans.

So what to do about it? With only two or three minutes left, I asked Max that question and was surprised by his answer.

"I'm considering introducing legislation to repeal it (FLREA)," he said.

Short pause.

"Seriously considering it, I should say."

Another pause.

"In fact, I'll probably do it."

At that point, he turned to his staff and asked how this might be done, and we had a short discussion of introducing a bill to repeal FLREA and seeing what would happen and speculating that amendments could be offered by opponents to change the emphasis of the law.

Which should be, according to Baucus, allowing fees for real services like staying in a developed campground, but disallowing most other fees.

I didn't say this, but I was thinking Max would be the perfect ball carrier for such legislation. With the recent democratic takeover of Congress, the senior senator from Montana now holds the powerful position of chair of the Senate Finance Committee, has long tenure in the Senate, and hails from one
of the key public lands states in the West.

"If I decide to do it," he said as our time ran out and his press people wanted him to move on, "You'll be the first to know."

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Scott Silver
Wild Wilderness
248 NW Wilmington Ave.
Bend, OR 97701

phone: 541-385-5261
e-mail: ssilver@wildwilderness.org
Internet: http://www.wildwilderness.org

Mike \"Lack-O-Slack\" Dooley
\"Nothing is foolproof, to a sufficiently talented fool!\"

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio