Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Spring SOBB 2019
kiteboyza


Avatar


Posts: 629
Registered: 8-19-2008
Location: Drayton Valley, Alberta
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 10-29-2018 at 03:34 PM
Spring SOBB 2019


Anybody know dates, Im trying to sort out 2019 travel here.....lol



Retired Pansh Racer, comes without instruction manual
View user's profile View All Posts By User
Wind_dog


Avatar


Posts: 186
Registered: 3-15-2016
Location: Oregon
Member Is Offline

Mood: Itchin' for the beach

[*] posted on 10-29-2018 at 07:27 PM


Wow.
Such pro-activate planning!
Tradition would suggest May 25 to June 2 but
that's just speculation.
I'm ready now . . . . .




Always on the steep part of the learning curve.
Flying a full quiver of single skins with an AQR
NAPKA US63
Also a Blokart when winds are really up.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
Morrie Williams


Avatar


Posts: 577
Registered: 2-21-2004
Location: Westport, WA
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 10-30-2018 at 09:27 AM


Yes Gang, the dates are May 25-Jun 02.

Be there or be square!




Morrie Williams
Westport, WA, USA

Peter Lynn Comp Buggy
Peter Lynn Peel 5m, 10m
QuadTrac 3m, 6m, 9m
SkyTiger Hi 10, Hi 15, Hi 30, Hi 60
C-Quad 2.2m, 3.2m, 4.2m
Peter Lynn - Reactor II 3.5m, 6.9m
NAPKA - US86

WindTec Twin Land Sailor w/6.2m sail
Blokart with 3m, 4m, 5.5m sails
NABSA - us89nw
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User
kiteboyza


Avatar


Posts: 629
Registered: 8-19-2008
Location: Drayton Valley, Alberta
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 10-30-2018 at 11:10 AM


Hey, some of us have busy travel lives...lol
Thanks Morrie




Retired Pansh Racer, comes without instruction manual
View user's profile View All Posts By User
Morrie Williams


Avatar


Posts: 577
Registered: 2-21-2004
Location: Westport, WA
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 10-30-2018 at 01:36 PM


Not a problem Dieter, see you in the spring




Morrie Williams
Westport, WA, USA

Peter Lynn Comp Buggy
Peter Lynn Peel 5m, 10m
QuadTrac 3m, 6m, 9m
SkyTiger Hi 10, Hi 15, Hi 30, Hi 60
C-Quad 2.2m, 3.2m, 4.2m
Peter Lynn - Reactor II 3.5m, 6.9m
NAPKA - US86

WindTec Twin Land Sailor w/6.2m sail
Blokart with 3m, 4m, 5.5m sails
NABSA - us89nw
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User
Morrie Williams


Avatar


Posts: 577
Registered: 2-21-2004
Location: Westport, WA
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 10-30-2018 at 01:37 PM


Not a problem Dieter, see you in the spring




Morrie Williams
Westport, WA, USA

Peter Lynn Comp Buggy
Peter Lynn Peel 5m, 10m
QuadTrac 3m, 6m, 9m
SkyTiger Hi 10, Hi 15, Hi 30, Hi 60
C-Quad 2.2m, 3.2m, 4.2m
Peter Lynn - Reactor II 3.5m, 6.9m
NAPKA - US86

WindTec Twin Land Sailor w/6.2m sail
Blokart with 3m, 4m, 5.5m sails
NABSA - us89nw
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User
kiteboyza


Avatar


Posts: 629
Registered: 8-19-2008
Location: Drayton Valley, Alberta
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 11-5-2018 at 09:45 AM


booked




Retired Pansh Racer, comes without instruction manual
View user's profile View All Posts By User
Windstruck


Avatar


Posts: 2897
Registered: 5-16-2015
Location: Park City, UT, USA
Member Is Offline

Mood: Holding out for a 3.5m LS3!

[*] posted on 11-27-2018 at 11:00 AM


Quote: Originally posted by Morrie Williams  
Yes Gang, the dates are May 25-Jun 02.

Be there or be square!


Don't want to be a square! I flew a trial balloon past my bride a few days ago about Spring SOBB and she didn't blink. Whupp!

Thinking of driving up Saturday, May 25th maybe as far as Hood River and then roll into camp Sunday Morning. Could buggy Sunday - Tuesday.

Thinking of a couple things. First and foremost, thinking about looking where I'm driving in camp, and second, thinking about pitching a tent in camp a couple of nights compared to pussing out in a motel again. I will need to actually earn a living in Portland Wednesday so maybe I'll grab a room somewhere Tuesday night to rinse camp and beach off of me that next morning.

Morrie - how do you work camp? I figure there is only so much room so I wanted to plant my kite stake. Excited! Love hanging with my Northwestern (and Canadian!) brothers and sisters!




Kites:
Born-Kite RaceStar (5.0m, 7.0m, 9.0m, 11.0m)
Born-Kite LongStar-3 (3.5m)
Born-Kite NasaStar-3 (1.5m, 3.2m)
Born-Kite NasaStar-4 (2.5m)

Buggy:
Hybrid - nose & tail PL BF+ with wide rear axle; midsection VTT rail & seat kit; two sets of Sysmic rims (BigFoots and 6-ply trailer tires); BigKid's AQR

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT0003
View user's profile View All Posts By User
Morrie Williams


Avatar


Posts: 577
Registered: 2-21-2004
Location: Westport, WA
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 11-27-2018 at 12:28 PM


Camp is pretty much first come first serve, but I'm sure there will be plenty of tent space available by Sunday. If it looks like it's filling up Sunday morning we'll try to reserve you a spot!



Morrie Williams
Westport, WA, USA

Peter Lynn Comp Buggy
Peter Lynn Peel 5m, 10m
QuadTrac 3m, 6m, 9m
SkyTiger Hi 10, Hi 15, Hi 30, Hi 60
C-Quad 2.2m, 3.2m, 4.2m
Peter Lynn - Reactor II 3.5m, 6.9m
NAPKA - US86

WindTec Twin Land Sailor w/6.2m sail
Blokart with 3m, 4m, 5.5m sails
NABSA - us89nw
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User
Windstruck


Avatar


Posts: 2897
Registered: 5-16-2015
Location: Park City, UT, USA
Member Is Offline

Mood: Holding out for a 3.5m LS3!

[*] posted on 11-27-2018 at 01:39 PM


Quote: Originally posted by Morrie Williams  
Camp is pretty much first come first serve, but I'm sure there will be plenty of tent space available by Sunday. If it looks like it's filling up Sunday morning we'll try to reserve you a spot!


Thanks Morrie!

It sounds as if it may be better to move up my trip a day and arrive at Buggy Camp Saturday morning. It would be great to be there when the most people are around. :thumbup:




Kites:
Born-Kite RaceStar (5.0m, 7.0m, 9.0m, 11.0m)
Born-Kite LongStar-3 (3.5m)
Born-Kite NasaStar-3 (1.5m, 3.2m)
Born-Kite NasaStar-4 (2.5m)

Buggy:
Hybrid - nose & tail PL BF+ with wide rear axle; midsection VTT rail & seat kit; two sets of Sysmic rims (BigFoots and 6-ply trailer tires); BigKid's AQR

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT0003
View user's profile View All Posts By User
Morrie Williams


Avatar


Posts: 577
Registered: 2-21-2004
Location: Westport, WA
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 11-27-2018 at 05:39 PM


Saturday is usually the biggest day. People start heading out late Sunday and Early Monday.

Saturday night is also the spaghetti feed, so we have quite a few at camp.

See you at Ivanpah!




Morrie Williams
Westport, WA, USA

Peter Lynn Comp Buggy
Peter Lynn Peel 5m, 10m
QuadTrac 3m, 6m, 9m
SkyTiger Hi 10, Hi 15, Hi 30, Hi 60
C-Quad 2.2m, 3.2m, 4.2m
Peter Lynn - Reactor II 3.5m, 6.9m
NAPKA - US86

WindTec Twin Land Sailor w/6.2m sail
Blokart with 3m, 4m, 5.5m sails
NABSA - us89nw
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User
eric67m


Avatar


Posts: 443
Registered: 9-11-2015
Location: Monroe, Washington
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 11-29-2018 at 07:32 AM


I was happy yesterday when my daughter asked "when are we going to go back to that Oregon buggy camp".

I'm always looking forward to the next kiting get together. Im glad my daughter is also.




Flying A mixed quiver of Flysurfer Peak kites.

Rollin in the Popeye The Welder Playa buggy.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
SeattleDS




Posts: 16
Registered: 6-11-2017
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 12-2-2018 at 02:28 PM
Planning the Spring 2019 event and need help


I heard a lot about this forum and wanted to know more about the annual events and what to expect during these events so I can plan for it accordingly. I live in Seattle and traveled to kite festivals at times.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
eric67m


Avatar


Posts: 443
Registered: 9-11-2015
Location: Monroe, Washington
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 12-2-2018 at 06:41 PM


SOBB is a biannual get together around the weekends of Memorial Day and Labor Day.
(9 days total possible for each) Some people only come for one of the weekends. Some people do long (3-4 day weekends), some people stay the entire time.

It's a low-key hang together of generally common minded people who mainly power kite with kite buggies, land boards, rollerblades (oversized). People also do fly rev quads and other kites at times.

People come from many parties parts of Canada, Washington, oregon, Idaho and Utah. it happens at in Northwestern Oregon at Sunset Beach south of Astoria during the days. In the evenings we go to an inland property which has "dry camping" and a port a potty, (2) Costco car covers to hang out under if it starts to rain. People either bring trailers or tents and many people also stay in the town at hotels. On the weekends people sometimes bring wives and families. The midweek crowd is usually just the hardcore and retirees (that are lucky enough not to work.)

In the morning generally we hang around camp having coffee and sometimes cook breakfast waiting for the winds to come up (nursing hangovers). Then head down to the beach hang out there for most of the day flying kites, riding buggies or if the wind is low we just hang out (and tell each other lies about how fast we went when nobody was around). Eventually come back to "buggy camp" and cook some dinner and a campfire.


People generally give some money for "buggy camp donations" which cover the bathroom rental and other expenditures for the owner's property that it occurs on. And people also chip on food for meals.

Buggy camp is definitely more populated with people on the weekends more of a party atmosphere and whatever people hanging out and having fun bonfires. The weekdays definitely quiet down a lot. (5-10 midweek vs 40+ on the weekends.

It's a blast. I look forward to it each and every time. It's always good to have new people come.

I probably said too much.... "what happens at buggy camp stays at buggy camp".




Flying A mixed quiver of Flysurfer Peak kites.

Rollin in the Popeye The Welder Playa buggy.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
SeattleDS




Posts: 16
Registered: 6-11-2017
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 12-3-2018 at 09:49 PM


Quote: Originally posted by eric67m  
SOBB is a biannual get together around the weekends of Memorial Day and Labor Day.
(9 days total possible for each) Some people only come for one of the weekends. Some people do long (3-4 day weekends), some people stay the entire time.

It's a low-key hang together of generally common minded people who mainly power kite with kite buggies, land boards, rollerblades (oversized). People also do fly rev quads and other kites at times.

People come from many parties parts of Canada, Washington, oregon, Idaho and Utah. it happens at in Northwestern Oregon at Sunset Beach south of Astoria during the days. In the evenings we go to an inland property which has "dry camping" and a port a potty, (2) Costco car covers to hang out under if it starts to rain. People either bring trailers or tents and many people also stay in the town at hotels. On the weekends people sometimes bring wives and families. The midweek crowd is usually just the hardcore and retirees (that are lucky enough not to work.)

In the morning generally we hang around camp having coffee and sometimes cook breakfast waiting for the winds to come up (nursing hangovers). Then head down to the beach hang out there for most of the day flying kites, riding buggies or if the wind is low we just hang out (and tell each other lies about how fast we went when nobody was around). Eventually come back to "buggy camp" and cook some dinner and a campfire.


People generally give some money for "buggy camp donations" which cover the bathroom rental and other expenditures for the owner's property that it occurs on. And people also chip on food for meals.

Buggy camp is definitely more populated with people on the weekends more of a party atmosphere and whatever people hanging out and having fun bonfires. The weekdays definitely quiet down a lot. (5-10 midweek vs 40+ on the weekends.

It's a blast. I look forward to it each and every time. It's always good to have new people come.

I probably said too much.... "what happens at buggy camp stays at buggy camp".


Cool! Thanks for the detailed info. Looking forward to it :-)
View user's profile View All Posts By User

  Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio