Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: SingleSkin 0.3 Program
tsteigs

[*] posted on 10-16-2018 at 04:30 AM
SingleSkin 0.3 Program

Has anyone built kites using the SingleSkin 0.3 program?

Back in 2015 I built a 2.0m fixed bridle based off of the program using many of the parameters that BigE kindly shared from his experience with his "Hammer" series. After some initial tweeking, the kite flew quite well.

I am getting ready to build a 4m with depower (2 pulleys per side) based on the SingleSkin 0.3 and was wondering about others experiences and suggestions.

Thanks

PL Hornet II 2m, FS Peak 2 6m, LongStar2 12.5m
Snake

Mood: Boost to the moon

[*] posted on 10-16-2018 at 11:01 AM

I have played around with it but never actually built anything with it. I have heard other people have had success with it as well. I would check this out as well.

http://foilivier.free.fr/uk/index.htm

Arcs - Charger I 8m, 10m, 12m, Venom I 13m - F-Arc 1200, 1600
Single Skin - Born-Kite LongStar2
Fixed Bridles - Pansh Legend 4.5m - Peter Lynn Voltage 3m
Randy

[*] posted on 10-16-2018 at 01:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by tsteigs  
Has anyone built kites using the SingleSkin 0.3 program?

Back in 2015 I built a 2.0m fixed bridle based off of the program using many of the parameters that BigE kindly shared from his experience with his "Hammer" series. After some initial tweeking, the kite flew quite well.

I am getting ready to build a 4m with depower (2 pulleys per side) based on the SingleSkin 0.3 and was wondering about others experiences and suggestions.

Thanks

I;ve used the Single Skin program to design a few simple kites, but nothing as complex as Ian's. I would love it if you could send me the input file or plans for the 2.0 M you built.

Another option you might consider is the g-kite:

http://www.laboratoridenvol.com/projects/gkite/gkite.en.html

I've built a few 3 M versions and one 4.5. It flies very well despite its simplicity. The best version is the 3M Red White and Blue model shown in the 2nd video in the link above. I did modify since the video was made - I added partial ribs between each of the full ribs. I also built a version with all 13 partial ribs and no full ribs.

NPW Test Pilot -US99
tsteigs

[*] posted on 10-17-2018 at 02:22 AM

Snake - Thanks for the link. I enjoy the technical stuff.

Randy - If you send a U2U with your e-mail I will be glad to send the 2m file.

Have you done any L/D or wind window testing on your various iterations of the g-kite?

PL Hornet II 2m, FS Peak 2 6m, LongStar2 12.5m
Randy

[*] posted on 10-17-2018 at 04:45 AM

u2u sent.

Testing L/D is pretty difficult and I've kind of given on directly trying to measure it. I found riding my buggy gave the best way to get a good impression of L/D. I would say the first version (the one w/o wrap around LE) was fairly good (probably a little better than an NPW) but it was not that easy to fly and wasn't very useful for my buggy. The Red White Blue (RWB) model with extra partial ribs was best and I felt like the L/D was better than any of my NPW's. It's easy to fly with the buggy. The g-13 was not quite as good as the RWB model but I think better than any NPW.

NPW Test Pilot -US99

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio