Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Kite got away from me today but recovered
Cheddarhead

[*] posted on 1-26-2018 at 07:47 PM
Kite got away from me today but recovered

Went to Lake Poygan today to give my buggy blades a spin on the snow less surface. I drivee an hour to get there and realize I don't have my harness nor my safety leash:evil:. I took it out of the truck to dry and failed to put it back in. Out of site out of mind, doh! Couldn't think of anything to use except the belt around my waist. So as desperate as I was, I clipped a caribiner to my belt and called it good. So I thought. No leash meant no safety either. I ignored the little voices and used my belt anyway. After about 20 miles things seemed to go well considering what I had to work with. After that I took a break. After my break I relaunched my kite, sat in the buggy, did a couple little power strokes just to get me started and my belt suddenly let loose. Away my kite went! The steel peg thingy on my belt angled enough to breach the buckle and let it through. Not a good thing. Should have listened to the little voices:rolleyes: Caught the incident on camera. Sort of a public service message what not to do.

https://youtu.be/XF3jpkyShQ8

SS Turbine 17m
SS Rally 14m
SS Rally 12m
SS RPM 10m
SS Rally 8m
SS Rally 6m
FS Speed 3 15m dlx
FS Peak 2 6m
Ozone Frenzy 9m
Ozone Access XT 6m
PL Farc 1200

What I ride:
Home brew buggy
Volkl race tiger DH 210
Dynastar DH 218
Blizzard Cochise 185
Steepwater 179 twin tip
Aboards Reverse 161
jeffnyc

Mood: In the

[*] posted on 1-27-2018 at 12:01 AM

Really nice catch with your truck! Are you going to tell the insurance company that the dent was the kite's fault?
You took that all pretty calmly.

Foil: Speed5 18+12 | Speed3 15 | Sonic2 9m | Peak 5 4m
Arc: Phantom I 12m+18m
LEI: LF WOW 9m
FB: Flux 5m | Bullet 4.5 | Blurr 3.5 + 2.5 | Rage 2.5 | Beamer 1.8
Ride: Flexi Haize | MBS core 90 | SS Vision 140 | Mako 140 + King 165 | King Gee | SS Hover Glide | WB 5'6" | Burton Floater
NAPKA NCC-US1701
abkayak

Mood: loving life and becoming wise in simplicity

[*] posted on 1-27-2018 at 06:39 AM

i think/know i would be terrified driving on a frozen lake
just a total foreign concept to me...funny

US-31...Cquad set/ 2.5 Bullet/ 2.6 Viper/ 2.9m Reactor/ 2- 3.5m Bullet/ 3.6 Beamer/ 4m Buster/ 4m Toxic/ 4m Ikon dp/ 4.5 Bullet/ 4.9m Blade/ 5.6 Twister/ 6.6m Blade/ 7.5 Apex/ 9m Fuel/ Phantom I 9,12,15,18/ 2 Flexibugs/ PL Big Foot/ landboards
B-Roc

[*] posted on 1-27-2018 at 07:11 AM

Driving my car on the ice would freak me out too but good thing you had a vehicle or that kite would've been gone forever.

Depower Quiver: 14m Gin Eskimo, 10m Gin Eskimo III, 6m Gin Yeti, 4.5m Gin Yeti (custom bridle and mixer)
Fixed Bridle Quiver: MAC Bego 400, JOJO ET Instinct 2.5 & 5.5, Lil Devil 1.5, Sting 1.2
Rides: Ground Industries
Windstruck

Mood: Get in my buggy!

[*] posted on 1-27-2018 at 07:11 AM

I think we've all improvised more than a little bit at times. This one bit you, but we've all been bitten. Your chase reminds me of my very first trip to Ivanpah. I was by myself and it was not during IBX or anything, just dumb, inexperienced me out there flailing around. I tried doing what I did on grass at the time which was to secure a kite on the ground with three homemade sandbags about the size of small french loaves of bread. I got all clipped into my harness and tried to ease the kite up into the air. I did something I almost never did at the time which was to angle launch on the side of the wind window (as compare to hot launch straight downwind). The kite sort of half took off, half dragged sideways and one of the sand bags got caught in the bridling (yes, it was a Peak, so there was lots of bridling) and the kite went into an inflated mad death spiral dance the ground. I had to pop the chicken loop and eventually the tether safety to avoid getting dragged across the playa. Once free of me, the mad kite took off downwind. I was on the Whiskey Pete side of I-15 and the kite slid all the way to the highway fence. Had to be a couple of miles. Now that was a walk of shame back to my base camp!

So... we've all been there. Good video. A kite PSA! :thumbup:

Born-Kites:
RaceStar+ (3.0m, 5.0m, 7.0m, 9.0m, 14.0m)
RaceStar (9.0m, 11.0m)
NasaStar-4 (2.5m, 4.0m, 5.5m, 7.0m)
NasaStar-3 (custom 3.2m)

Flysurfer Kites:
Peak-5 (2.5m)

Buggy:
Peter Lynn BigFoot+ nose & tail; midsection VTT rail & seat kit; home-brewed AQR

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT0003
bobalooie57

Mood: Windy

[*] posted on 1-27-2018 at 08:13 AM

Wow heck of a catch!

Team MEAN GREEN

Bob Lussier

OUTLAW KITER
1.4M Beamer III, 2M Beamer IV,2M Toxic HQ , 7.5MApex III, HQ, Quadrifoil XXXL (9.66M), NPW5 2.4,4.8m, NPW9 3.4M(HQ),NPW9 7M (RASTA\'S FURY), NPW9 7.6M (BIG SISTAH),NPW9 12MGREENMONSTER(km4), P L Comp ST buggy,PL Bigfoot+ buggy, Atomic Alibi Snowboard, Protec Knee/Elbow Pads & Helmet, Seirus wristguards, Demon crash shorts, LaCross chest/shoulder pads. (tryin\' to be safe!)
Cheddarhead

[*] posted on 1-27-2018 at 03:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by abkayak  
i think/know i would be terrified driving on a frozen lake
just a total foreign concept to me...funny

I'm always a little nervous driving on the ice. No ice is 100% safe. Lots of common sense rules to follow when venturing out. There is always that chance you could be the unlucky one. Almost 2 feet of ice on this lake, 100's of people driving all over. Doesn't mean they are all right, but odds are it's fairly safe in most places. Typically I drive where most have been already then park. Scouting an entire lake by vehicle is playing Russian roulette. If my kite would've gone much further I would have had to stop pursuit due to large pressure crack that I wouldn't want to cross. Got lucky I guess.

SS Turbine 17m
SS Rally 14m
SS Rally 12m
SS RPM 10m
SS Rally 8m
SS Rally 6m
FS Speed 3 15m dlx
FS Peak 2 6m
Ozone Frenzy 9m
Ozone Access XT 6m
PL Farc 1200

What I ride:
Home brew buggy
Volkl race tiger DH 210
Dynastar DH 218
Blizzard Cochise 185
Steepwater 179 twin tip
Aboards Reverse 161
Cheddarhead

[*] posted on 1-27-2018 at 04:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by B-Roc  
Driving my car on the ice would freak me out too but good thing you had a vehicle or that kite would've been gone forever.

Yes, very fortunate it didn't release miles from the truck. Could've been a long walk back and a long retrieval mission:D

SS Turbine 17m
SS Rally 14m
SS Rally 12m
SS RPM 10m
SS Rally 8m
SS Rally 6m
FS Speed 3 15m dlx
FS Peak 2 6m
Ozone Frenzy 9m
Ozone Access XT 6m
PL Farc 1200

What I ride:
Home brew buggy
Volkl race tiger DH 210
Dynastar DH 218
Blizzard Cochise 185
Steepwater 179 twin tip
Aboards Reverse 161
Cheddarhead

[*] posted on 1-27-2018 at 04:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Windstruck  
I think we've all improvised more than a little bit at times. This one bit you, but we've all been bitten. Your chase reminds me of my very first trip to Ivanpah. I was by myself and it was not during IBX or anything, just dumb, inexperienced me out there flailing around. I tried doing what I did on grass at the time which was to secure a kite on the ground with three homemade sandbags about the size of small french loaves of bread. I got all clipped into my harness and tried to ease the kite up into the air. I did something I almost never did at the time which was to angle launch on the side of the wind window (as compare to hot launch straight downwind). The kite sort of half took off, half dragged sideways and one of the sand bags got caught in the bridling (yes, it was a Peak, so there was lots of bridling) and the kite went into an inflated mad death spiral dance the ground. I had to pop the chicken loop and eventually the tether safety to avoid getting dragged across the playa. Once free of me, the mad kite took off downwind. I was on the Whiskey Pete side of I-15 and the kite slid all the way to the highway fence. Had to be a couple of miles. Now that was a walk of shame back to my base camp!

So... we've all been there. Good video. A kite PSA! :thumbup:

Wow, nice story. You get the trophy for longest distance:thumbup:

SS Turbine 17m
SS Rally 14m
SS Rally 12m
SS RPM 10m
SS Rally 8m
SS Rally 6m
FS Speed 3 15m dlx
FS Peak 2 6m
Ozone Frenzy 9m
Ozone Access XT 6m
PL Farc 1200

What I ride:
Home brew buggy
Volkl race tiger DH 210
Dynastar DH 218
Blizzard Cochise 185
Steepwater 179 twin tip
Aboards Reverse 161
Bladerunner

[*] posted on 1-27-2018 at 05:52 PM

Extremely lucky it all went down so close to the truck. It looked like the kite was headed off at amazing speed.
I expect the belt pop would have required letting go no matter when it happened. So great you got a session in 1st.

I was on a lake one day with lots of people on it. Big trucks racing along were pushing a wave under the ice that I found extremely odd and left.
Has anybody else ever felt this happen?

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
Cheddarhead

[*] posted on 1-27-2018 at 06:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bladerunner  
Extremely lucky it all went down so close to the truck. It looked like the kite was headed off at amazing speed.
I expect the belt pop would have required letting go no matter when it happened. So great you got a session in 1st.

I was on a lake one day with lots of people on it. Big trucks racing along were pushing a wave under the ice that I found extremely odd and left.
Has anybody else ever felt this happen?

Winds were 20 to 30mph, so didn't take long to fly away, lol.

I've never experienced the "Ice wave" before but heard others describe the same thing. No reason to drive that fast on a frozen lake. Some people have no patience, especially on the larger waters.

SS Turbine 17m
SS Rally 14m
SS Rally 12m
SS RPM 10m
SS Rally 8m
SS Rally 6m
FS Speed 3 15m dlx
FS Peak 2 6m
Ozone Frenzy 9m
Ozone Access XT 6m
PL Farc 1200

What I ride:
Home brew buggy
Volkl race tiger DH 210
Dynastar DH 218
Blizzard Cochise 185
Steepwater 179 twin tip
Aboards Reverse 161
RedSky

[*] posted on 1-28-2018 at 05:58 PM

You were perfectly calm about it all. No hesitation about climbing into the truck and setting off to catch it. Funny back story. Nice interception!

markite

[*] posted on 1-29-2018 at 11:04 AM

I saw your full account on f.b. - good story but even better with the video. Nice catch with the truck! another weird winter here so nice to see you getting out. I've been out on the ice a couple of times lately with the blades on the buggies but very light wind just trying to keep a kite in the air.
Keep the stories and videos coming.

Mark Groshens NAPKA KC 13
WindSpeed kites & design - Canada
Peter Lynn Arcs: Charger2 22.5 +18 + 15 + 6.5, Charger I 6, Scorpion 16 + 10, Phantom II 12 + 9, Orig Phantom 9 + 6, Synergy 10 + 8, F 1200, S 840
Ocean Rodeo: Flite 17 + 12, Rise 13 + 10 + 7, Razor 9 + 6
Foils: PL Leopards and Lynx, Airea Raptors, some PL Reactor IIs + IIIs, Libre Spirits, Cross Kite Sonics, Ozone Flow
Peter Lynn Kite Cat for cruising the lakes
buggies: PL XR+, Cameleon Pagona, custom bigfoot, PL Bigfoot, custom ice buggy
Boards: 2 custom directionals, O.R Surf series 6-3 and 5-11, Mako Duke, Mako Skinny, Mako 140 Wide, Mako 150 Wide, Mako King, Brunotti
lots of old school skis, snowboard

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio