Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: The Need For Speed (video)
RedSky


Avatar


Posts: 1314
Registered: 9-7-2009
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 1-25-2018 at 06:44 AM
The Need For Speed (video)


Fellow brethren buggy enthusiasts. Its been a while since I posted a video.
Before you sigh, this one is short.

The video is from yesterday, Wednesday morning Jan24 2018.

The usual band of hardened weekday kitesurfers were nowhere to be seen, so I guess the beach belonged to me.

I'm nervous about the idea however.

If nobody carries my corpse off the beach, I could be washed out to sea. Maybe I should have downsized.

My arm is out stretched going upwind. Reason, nasty nasty wind.
The range on the 8m maxes-out just shy of 52mph.

Its not the 60mph gusts that worried me, it was those nasty 40mph lulls hitting the canopy. In that situation, I find it's better to be powered than not.

Oh, and one more thing. I did not realize at the time but my rear downwind wheel is barely attached. Haha, yes, the wheel nut was held in place by a few loyal threads. Sudden departure was imminent.

Look close at that last speed run and see it wobble at around 2:40

Funny thing is, I had this strange feeling. One of the voices inside my head told me to stop and go home after that.
A total of just 5 miles were covered.

I first noticed the wheel when I returned to the car-park.

Thanks guys, hope you enjoy. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1XdBa1FNTA&feature=yout...




View user's profile View All Posts By User
abkayak


Avatar


Posts: 2113
Registered: 1-7-2012
Location: a.b. NY
Member Is Offline

Mood: going to hell in a bucket baby

[*] posted on 1-25-2018 at 07:11 AM


:thumbup::thumbup:
always listen to the voices
always worry about them recovering the body




US-31...Cquad set/ 2.6 Viper/ 2.9m Reactor/ 3.3 Buster/ 3.5m Bullet/ 3.6 Beamer/ 4m Buster/ 4m Ikon dp/ 4.5 Bullet/ 4.9m Blade/ 5.6 Twister/ 6.6m Blade/ 7.3 Frenzy/ 7.5 Apex/ 9m Fuel/ 13m Pulse/ Phantom I 9,12,15,18/ 2 Flexibugs/ PL Comp XR/ PL Big Foot/ PL Monster Bug/ Enough Landboards
View user's profile View All Posts By User
RedSky


Avatar


Posts: 1314
Registered: 9-7-2009
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 1-25-2018 at 07:14 AM


Quote: Originally posted by abkayak  
:thumbup::thumbup:
always listen to the voices
always worry about them recovering the body


That's what I say. Thanks for the thumbs. Glad you like it. :)
View user's profile View All Posts By User
eric67m


Avatar


Posts: 312
Registered: 9-11-2015
Location: Monroe, Washington
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 1-25-2018 at 07:25 AM


Good video, looks like fun.

I have two questions.
1. Is that one of the PTW Dominator buggies?
2. Where is this beach located? (Or is it a super secret kite buggy beach.)




Hq Alpha 1.5, 2.5, Pkd buster soulfly pro 3.3, Libre vampir 4M, Flexifoil blurr 5M, Radsails Aztec backpack with speakers (and a 5M kite), Pansh sprint 5M, Quad Trac 5M, Quad Trac 7M, Flysurfer peak 3 6M, peak 2 12M

Freilein/OSk-usa(rev) indoor quad kite

Flexifoil Navaro buggy
Ptw Playa buggy
View user's profile View All Posts By User
Randy


Avatar


Posts: 1037
Registered: 5-20-2014
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 1-25-2018 at 08:33 AM


:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:



NPW Test Pilot -US99
View user's profile View All Posts By User
RedSky


Avatar


Posts: 1314
Registered: 9-7-2009
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 1-25-2018 at 12:01 PM


Quote: Originally posted by eric67m  
Good video, looks like fun.

I have two questions.
1. Is that one of the PTW Dominator buggies?
2. Where is this beach located? (Or is it a super secret kite buggy beach.)


Thanks eric67m. You're right, it is the PTW Dominator 4. The last Dominator Carl made. The beach is Camber in East Sussex, located in the far south east of England.



Thanks Randy!
View user's profile View All Posts By User
Windstruck


Avatar


Posts: 2777
Registered: 5-16-2015
Location: Park City, UT, USA
Member Is Offline

Mood: Feeling Race(Star)y!

[*] posted on 1-25-2018 at 03:20 PM


Great video RedSky! That was some great speed you achieved. I'm definitely seriously puckering above 50 mph on Ivanpah and there you have a lot more freedom to turn slowly upwind to slow down etc. The loose back wheel must have been interesting to find afterwards. "That could have gone a lot different today" probably crossed your mind or some such. At IBX2017 I showed up with my buggy and in a pre-ride check on the first day I fount that the vertical head tube bolt was seriously loose. That could have been, err, interesting. Anyway, great video - balls like bull!



Kites:
Born-Kite LongStar-2 (3.5m, 5.5m, 7.5m, 9.5m, 12.5m)
Born-Kite RaceStar (9.0m, 11.0m)
Born-Kite NasaStar-3 (1.5m, 2.5m, 3.2m, 4.0m)

Buggy:
Hybrid: Nose & tail PL Bigfoot+ with wide rear axle; midsection VTT rail & seat kit; two sets of Sysmic rims (BigFoots and 6-ply trailer tires); BigKid's AQR

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT000003
View user's profile View All Posts By User
Cheddarhead


Avatar


Posts: 1393
Registered: 12-4-2009
Location: Green Bay, Wisconsin
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 1-25-2018 at 08:56 PM


Great vid Redsky!:thumbup::thumbup: I see you do a tethered launch like I do. Works good when you have no one to assist. Impressive speeds! Thanks for sharing:D



SS Turbine 17m
SS Rally 14m
SS Rally 12m
SS RPM 10m
SS Rally 8m
SS Rally 6m
FS Speed 3 15m dlx
FS Peak 2 6m
Ozone Frenzy 9m
Ozone Access XT 6m
PL Farc 1200

What I ride:
Home brew buggy
Volkl race tiger DH 210
Dynastar DH 218
Blizzard Cochise 185
Steepwater 179 twin tip
Aboards Reverse 161
View user's profile View All Posts By User
RedSky


Avatar


Posts: 1314
Registered: 9-7-2009
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 1-25-2018 at 10:41 PM


Quote: Originally posted by Windstruck  
Great video RedSky! That was some great speed you achieved. I'm definitely seriously puckering above 50 mph on Ivanpah and there you have a lot more freedom to turn slowly upwind to slow down etc. The loose back wheel must have been interesting to find afterwards. "That could have gone a lot different today" probably crossed your mind or some such. At IBX2017 I showed up with my buggy and in a pre-ride check on the first day I fount that the vertical head tube bolt was seriously loose. That could have been, err, interesting. Anyway, great video - balls like bull!


Thanks Windstruck. 50mph on Ivanpah is no mean feat. That place scares me. For me its akin to riding on grass or tarmac. It takes a while to stop relative to sand.

That loose head bolt must have given you palpitations? I think I'd much rather loose a rear wheel than a loose a front one. Yikes! That's no joke. :o

The previous night I had swapped out the cambered axles in favour of regular straight bolts. I tightened everything up but sometimes sliding over rough surfaces can work the nuts loose on those types of axles.

Losing wheels used to be something of a habit :D https://vimeo.com/26868987



Quote: Originally posted by Cheddarhead  
Great vid Redsky!:thumbup::thumbup: I see you do a tethered launch like I do. Works good when you have no one to assist. Impressive speeds! Thanks for sharing:D


You sir are too kind. Thanks! Tethered launch always. :)
View user's profile View All Posts By User
m00ms




Posts: 182
Registered: 12-28-2015
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 1-26-2018 at 04:30 AM


hiya and great video so thanks for sharing it.that speed is crazy so hats off to you with it.

camber is my closest beach that i buggy on although i am fairly new to buggy.

my top speed so far is only just over 30 mph which was on camber on a mega busy day at the end of summer,shame there was not more area to use as i felt comfortable and controlled so i could of gone more.

looking at the wind strengths you fly in i doubt youll be there on a day i fly but if so i will look out for you to say hello.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
RedSky


Avatar


Posts: 1314
Registered: 9-7-2009
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 1-26-2018 at 07:33 AM


Quote: Originally posted by m00ms  
hiya and great video so thanks for sharing it.that speed is crazy so hats off to you with it.

camber is my closest beach that i buggy on although i am fairly new to buggy.

my top speed so far is only just over 30 mph which was on camber on a mega busy day at the end of summer,shame there was not more area to use as i felt comfortable and controlled so i could of gone more.

looking at the wind strengths you fly in i doubt youll be there on a day i fly but if so i will look out for you to say hello.


Thanks m00ms! I did not realise you're a local. I drive down from East Grinstead. Where are you from?

Yeah Camber can get very busy especially during the warmer months. I usually hang up my harness between May - September but I do sometimes ride if I have a video idea, plus the sunsets at that time of year are just too amazing to pass up.

And with the knowledge that you could have gone faster comes the addiction. :D
Hope to see you down there sometime.

Tom
View user's profile View All Posts By User
m00ms




Posts: 182
Registered: 12-28-2015
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 1-26-2018 at 12:48 PM


hi tom

im from addlestone and so far ive only buggied at camber about 10 times and once at llangennith.

i have been trying to work out other places to go if wind suits but everywhere seams to be that you need to be member of clubs to go and last thing i want is to travel somewhere only to get told not allowed.

silly question do you jim from here? he mentioned knowing some guy that only goes out in crazy winds and it would seam that you fit the bill on that front!!

sure would be great to see you in action one day and say hello in person so be great to try arrange that.

paul
View user's profile View All Posts By User
B-Roc


Avatar


Posts: 2974
Registered: 3-9-2006
Location: Massachusetts
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 1-26-2018 at 01:40 PM


Buggy videos don't normally do much for me but I enjoyed that one very much :thumbup::thumbup:
Nice riding in what I would consider to be crazy winds. :cool:




Depower Quiver: 14m Gin Eskimo, 10m Gin Eskimo III, 6m Gin Yeti, 4.5m Gin Yeti (custom bridle and mixer)
Fixed Bridle Quiver: MAC Bego 400, JOJO ET Instinct 2.5 & 5.5, Lil Devil 1.5, Sting 1.2
Rides: Ground Industries
View user's profile View All Posts By User
RedSky


Avatar


Posts: 1314
Registered: 9-7-2009
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 1-26-2018 at 07:10 PM


Quote: Originally posted by m00ms  
hi tom

im from addlestone and so far ive only buggied at camber about 10 times and once at llangennith.

i have been trying to work out other places to go if wind suits but everywhere seams to be that you need to be member of clubs to go and last thing i want is to travel somewhere only to get told not allowed.

silly question do you jim from here? he mentioned knowing some guy that only goes out in crazy winds and it would seam that you fit the bill on that front!!

sure would be great to see you in action one day and say hello in person so be great to try arrange that.

paul


Yes I know Jim. He's a top man, although I'm doubtful if I'm the guy he mentioned.

Addlestone you say, then you're not too far from Purley Way. If you're looking for an awesome buggy spot that's close by then check it out. Strictly speaking we're not allowed to buggy there, however its extremely rare to be asked to move on.

Its still football season, so it will be too muddy up there at the moment but come March it's normally dry, the ground hard and the wind, windy. Maybe a better place to meet up.

You don't want to be standing around watching me at the beach, because you'll freeze and die of boredom and least of all because we'll need to use sign language to communicate. :D But of course you're more than welcome. :thumbup:

Tom



View user's profile View All Posts By User
RedSky


Avatar


Posts: 1314
Registered: 9-7-2009
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 1-26-2018 at 07:11 PM


Quote: Originally posted by B-Roc  
Buggy videos don't normally do much for me but I enjoyed that one very much :thumbup::thumbup:
Nice riding in what I would consider to be crazy winds. :cool:


Wow, thanks man. :)
View user's profile View All Posts By User
bobalooie57


Avatar


Posts: 2517
Registered: 3-21-2009
Location: Jamestown, NY
Member Is Offline

Mood: Windy

[*] posted on 1-27-2018 at 08:00 AM


Great video Tom, thanks for posting!:thumbup:



Team MEAN GREEN

Bob Lussier

OUTLAW KITER
1.4M Beamer III, 2M Beamer IV,2M Toxic HQ , 7.5MApex III, HQ, Quadrifoil XXXL (9.66M), NPW5 2.4,4.8m, NPW9 3.4M(HQ),NPW9 7M (RASTA\'S FURY), NPW9 7.6M (BIG SISTAH),NPW9 12MGREENMONSTER(km4), P L Comp ST buggy,PL Bigfoot+ buggy, Atomic Alibi Snowboard, Protec Knee/Elbow Pads & Helmet, Seirus wristguards, Demon crash shorts, LaCross chest/shoulder pads. (tryin\' to be safe!)
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User
m00ms




Posts: 182
Registered: 12-28-2015
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 1-27-2018 at 09:30 AM


yes jim is a top man and just loves to get out in the buggy.i will have to ask him who the crazy wind guy is if it not you then!

a purley meet up could be arranged then and get jim along as well if the wind always,which direction wind is best for purley then ?

View user's profile View All Posts By User
Bladerunner


Avatar


Posts: 9550
Registered: 10-17-2006
Location: Vancouver
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 1-27-2018 at 05:58 PM


Quote: Originally posted by RedSky  
Quote: Originally posted by B-Roc  
Buggy videos don't normally do much for me but I enjoyed that one very much :thumbup::thumbup:
Nice riding in what I would consider to be crazy winds. :cool:


Wow, thanks man. :)


I agree. Seeing your running speed really added to the rush.




Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
View user's profile View All Posts By User
RedSky


Avatar


Posts: 1314
Registered: 9-7-2009
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 1-28-2018 at 05:26 AM


Quote: Originally posted by Bladerunner  
Quote: Originally posted by RedSky  
Quote: Originally posted by B-Roc  
Buggy videos don't normally do much for me but I enjoyed that one very much :thumbup::thumbup:
Nice riding in what I would consider to be crazy winds. :cool:


Wow, thanks man. :)


I agree. Seeing your running speed really added to the rush.


Thanks! Its hard to portray a sense of speed on sand, especially if no other objects are whizzing close by. So the speed overlay really helps.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
RedSky


Avatar


Posts: 1314
Registered: 9-7-2009
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 1-28-2018 at 05:28 AM


Quote: Originally posted by m00ms  
yes jim is a top man and just loves to get out in the buggy.i will have to ask him who the crazy wind guy is if it not you then!

a purley meet up could be arranged then and get jim along as well if the wind always,which direction wind is best for purley then ?



North is best, followed by West. South and East forget. :)
View user's profile View All Posts By User
m00ms




Posts: 182
Registered: 12-28-2015
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 1-28-2018 at 08:46 AM


i will have a chat with jim and see if we can make a meet up happen,does he have contact number for you at all? might be worth me PM messaging you my contact number if not.

i watched a few of your youtube channel videos and thought the advice for beginners was just hilarious and the buggy on country lane was cool!!

paul
View user's profile View All Posts By User
RedSky


Avatar


Posts: 1314
Registered: 9-7-2009
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 1-28-2018 at 09:28 AM


Quote: Originally posted by m00ms  
i will have a chat with jim and see if we can make a meet up happen,does he have contact number for you at all? might be worth me PM messaging you my contact number if not.

i watched a few of your youtube channel videos and thought the advice for beginners was just hilarious and the buggy on country lane was cool!!

paul


Thanks Paul :) yes, he has my number. TBH I won't touch Purley until March, but it will be good to meet up. I'll see if I can get a few others to come.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
m00ms




Posts: 182
Registered: 12-28-2015
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 1-28-2018 at 12:52 PM


sounds like a great plan which i look forward to as the more the merrier!

till then enjoy any times you get out and make sure wheels stay on :)
View user's profile View All Posts By User

  Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio