Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: I want even more depower. Kind of thinking Peak
rectifier

Mood: Angry about lack of snow

[*] posted on 1-16-2018 at 01:14 PM
I want even more depower. Kind of thinking Peak

I was reading the review of the original Peak on http://www.hardwaterkiter.com/kite-and-gear-reviews/long-ter...

and was thinking that a Peak might really be what I could use here. I'm quite well described as the "perpetual intermediate" in the article.

My problem is the hilly inland wind. In Saskatchewan you have to be able to fly the wind you are handed, or you aren't riding. And it's never consistent in any way. It's often only 10 minutes, a good gust, or riding to the next hill over between "Bar out, I just want it to fly" and "Bar out, I don't want to die".

As a result I always choose on the safe side on the kite I put up, which usually gets me a session that looks like 10% standing around, 30% underpowered, 50% powered up and having fun, and 10% overpowered.

The worst situation that I have is climbing into ridge lift where I'm struggling to climb a hill, badly underpowered, then upon reaching the top I'm launched over the other side. If I choose a smaller kite, I'm limited because I can't climb the hills. If I put up a bigger kite, the wind on hilltops and plateaus can get dangerous. This is specifically mentioned in the review as something the Peak can avoid.

Add safer hot launches and flag safety, ghost launch/land capability, floaty feel, crashable into stubble and ice... the fact that I already like single skins... maybe a Peak is a good choice for me? I know the Apex have about as much depower range as you can get, but can I get even more out of a Peak?

Edit: and which model Peak is the best for these conditions? Snowkite mostly and maybe buggy someday.

Homebuilt: 1m NPW9b, 2.6m NPW21, 7m NPW21 UDS
HQ: 3.2m Crossfire, 5m + 7m Apex 3
Windstruck

Mood: You say "Born in a Barn" like it's a bad thing!

[*] posted on 1-16-2018 at 04:06 PM

I've read Chris' Hardwater Peak reviews too and feel he represents them well. From your description it sounds as if you are a solid (if reluctant) member of the Janky Wind Club for which Spenser is the self-appointed President. Janky winds are where Peaks really shine. They take off easily in little wind, can often stay aloft in the lulls, and can dump a lot of power when the gusts or ridge winds come on.

As for models I would try and get hold of Peak-2s as compared to Peak-1s (with one exception listed below) or Peak-3s. My reason for putting in a word for the Peak-2s is that the kites themselves are decently refined, they have two DP pulleys per side of their bridling, and they have a clam cleat sheeting line at the bar. While I've never done it, I could imagine looping the kite as it pulls me uphill on skis, and as I approached the top and felt the ridge wind build pull in the clam cleat line and letting out the bar as I crest the hill. Combining clam cleat line shortening and letting out the bar dumps a HUGE amount of power in a Peak-2! Once you are back off the ridge you could lengthen out the clam cleat line, pull in the bar, and power back up.

The Peak-1 bar didn't have a clam cleat adjuster. The Peak-3s, while the kites themselves are nicely refined, have one DP pulley per bridle side resulting in a lot more bar pressure than the same sized Peak-2 in the same wind conditions. I personally would want to avoid a lot of bar pressure when snowkiting because that will likely make your hands get cold really fast.

As for size (or sizes), if you can swing it I would say that a great Peak-2 quiver is the 6m/12m combo. That gives you a vast range of wind conditions that you can fly in. When I owned a full Peak-2 quiver I used the 6m and 12m by far the most, rarely used the 9m, and only got to use the 4m on rare, blasting days. If you could only swing one single Peak-2 then I think based on your description that I would go with the 6m. If the winds are moderate and you ridge line with the 12m in the air then I think things could get a little, err, "busy".

What I've read recently is that the 6m Peak-1 flown on a more modern bar with a clam cleat adjuster is a superb option as well.

Good luck!

My two cents as a former Peak-2 owner and SS disciple.

Kites:
Born-Kite LongStar-2 (3.5m, 5.5m, 7.5m, 9.5m, 12.5m)
Born-Kite NasaStar-3 (1.5m, 2.5m, 3.2m, 4.0m)
Born-Kite StreetStar (4.0m)
Born-Kite RaceStar (5.0m, 9.0m)

Buggy:
Peter Lynn Bigfoot+ modified with VTT rail & seat kit (a seriously great performance upgrade), two sets of Sysmic rims (one set with BigFoot slicks for the beach and other set with 6-ply trailer tires for the playa), and BigKidKites AQR (because it keeps me in my buggy and in my marriage)

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT000003
IFlyKites

[*] posted on 1-16-2018 at 09:46 PM

The peak is honestly the most versatile depower I've personally flown hands down. And no, I am not being biased in any way. :bouncing:

If you are only going to get one kite for landkiting or snowkiting, the 9m or the 6m (depending on how much you weigh, terrain you kite on, and conditions you fly in) is the ultimate kite to get. I'm currently rocking a 9m Peak 2 (1 kite quiver) and the Peak does it all for me! The most I'd be comfortable on a 9m would be about 16 knots or so. After, it does get a bit too much to hold down imho. I've flown it in as little as 3-4 knots, which was enough to get me moving on a grass field.

I can't speak for Peak 1 or 3's, but Peak 2's definitely do not disappoint.

Anyhow, good luck with your decision!

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Hosting