Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Quick Peak experience
vtliter

[*] posted on 10-1-2018 at 06:01 PM
Quick Peak experience

Several years ago when the Peak was first released I wasn't convinced it would be a kite I would like. Ted Wesley was gracious enough to meet me in Maine to let me fly his 6 and talk about its qualities and the mods that would enhance its flying. i only static flew it on the beach and I was quite underwhelmed with its pull. Kudos to Ted though for being a Peak ambassador and a stand up guy!
Fast forward- a local Craigslist ad pops up with a trainer kite, Ozone harness, Flysurfer Peak 6 and an additional harness for short money. After several emails with the seller we met and I bought everything. A friend of a friend needed a traineer and a harness so off they went. The Ozone harness is the newer SB version which is way more confortable than my original XC so I kept that. The ONLY thing I was really interested in was the Peak. After reading years of folks expounding on their happiness with the Peak I figured here was a chance to pick one up and give it a real test.

Signed, another Peak fan
First, the kite is literally new. Maybe flown 3 times? so pristine! Also it's the later Orange color which I love but is inconsequential right?
I flew it today and after a few tacks getting comfortable with the technique needed to milk power out of it and fly it efficiently it clicked. I really like the kite and see its cruising potential. Crap now I'm curious about the 12 as the setup and packdown are ridiculous compared to the Speeds!
wind graph from today below. i flew from 12:30 -3 and wind speed was perfect for the 6.
https://screenshots.firefox.com/glymlkjkMx8hxl98/wx.ikitesur...

Flysurfer Peak 6
Peak4 5m
Flysurfer Speed5 12
Cabrinha Switchblade 5, 8
Slingshot Ghost 6
Spleene Session
Shinnster
Shinn Monk
Naish hover kite
North Sonar (several wings)
MBS Comp 16
Peter Lynn Comp
Gravityguy

[*] posted on 10-1-2018 at 06:12 PM

I have been seeing that post on Craigslist. Glad someone got it and that your enjoying it.

PL Venom 8m, 10m & 16m, PL S-Arc 460, PL T-ARC 130
HQ Montana 9.5m HQ Beamer3 3.0, HQ Rush 250
Prism Tensor 5.0
PL Competition Standard Buggy
(Rev B Series, Various Duel Line Stunt Kites & Single Line)
B-Roc
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-1-2018 at 07:45 AM

Speaking of Craigslist... isn't that your Frenzy I keep seeing out there?

Depower Quiver: 14m Gin Eskimo, 10m Gin Eskimo III, 6m Gin Yeti, 4.5m Gin Yeti (custom bridle and mixer)
Fixed Bridle Quiver: MAC Bego 400, JOJO ET Instinct 2.5 & 5.5, Lil Devil 1.5, Sting 1.2
Rides: Ground Industries
ssayre
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-1-2018 at 07:58 AM

Everyone knows the pink peak is faster turning, has better low end, and has better depower. I've heard the orange version is ok though.
Windstruck
Posting Freak

Mood: Get in my buggy!

[*] posted on 11-1-2018 at 08:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by vtliter  
Crap now I'm curious about the 12 as the setup and packdown are ridiculous compared to the Speeds!
wind graph from today below. i flew from 12:30 -3 and wind speed was perfect for the 6.
https://screenshots.firefox.com/glymlkjkMx8hxl98/wx.ikitesur...

Ha! Another SS convert. Peaks are just flat out great engines for buggies. Your curiosity around the 12m is well placed. Cut that wind in half (8-15 mph) and you will be having a blast with the 12m. If the wind is true and pure you could tease down to probably 6 mph and still get the 12m Peak aloft and get some decent pull to roll along.

Sean remains infatuated with his pink Peaks. Makes sense as they match his preferred unmentionables. :moon:

Born-Kites:
RaceStar+ (3.0m, 5.0m, 7.0m, 9.0m)
NasaStar-5 (2.5m, 4.0m)
NasaStar-4 (2.5m)
NasaStar-3 (3.2m)

Ozone kites:
Access (6.0m)

Flysurfer Kites:
Peak-5 (2.5m)

Buggy:
Peter Lynn BigFoot+ nose & tail; midsection VTT rail & seat kit; home-brewed AQR

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT0003
soliver
Posting Freak

Mood: sleepy

[*] posted on 11-1-2018 at 09:36 AM

Whoa now Steve.... I ve got a 6m pinky myself (thanks to a friendly benefactor) and I have to say that Im a fan. (Plus I just dont care to know about Seans undies)... Last year at JIBE, I barely had the 12m out. With smooth consistent wind and a good smooth riding surface, I was easily cruising with the 6m in 8-10 mph winds.... gooooood stuff.

6m Pinky.... :lol:

I'm going to take a nap now
vtliter

[*] posted on 11-1-2018 at 10:08 AM

B-Roc yes that is my Frenzy on Craig's.
I'm gonna stay away from the pink discussion-sounds a little personal!

Flysurfer Peak 6
Peak4 5m
Flysurfer Speed5 12
Cabrinha Switchblade 5, 8
Slingshot Ghost 6
Spleene Session
Shinnster
Shinn Monk
Naish hover kite
North Sonar (several wings)
MBS Comp 16
Peter Lynn Comp
Randy
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-1-2018 at 11:20 AM

Hey Peak fans you can show your love by putting this Flysurfer decal on your living room wall. Available at Ebay. (However, there are not any Peaks for sale now.....)

screenshot-www.ebay.com-2018-01-11-13-18-32.jpg - 50kB

NPW Test Pilot -US99
Windstruck
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-1-2018 at 01:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Randy  
Hey Peak fans you can show your love by putting this Flysurfer decal on your living room wall. Available at Ebay. (However, there are not any Peaks for sale now.....)

I knew I could stir things up a bit with that zinger!

While I remain a devote SS disciple, as my autosignature clearly shows I have "moved on" from my first love of the Peak2s to my lasting love of the LS2s. Head to head the LS2s just beat out the P3s IMHO.

My only beef (but it is a significant one) is that FS went from two DP pulleys per side for the P1 and P2 lines to one DP pulley per side for the P3 line. The result was far too much bar pressure for my liking while sitting in a buggy on long stretches like at Ivanpah. Might be no issue at all for a landboarder that faces the kite but in the buggy the high bar pressure comes diagonally across the body and strained my back. Other than that, the P3s represent a nice refinement over the P2s. I've never flown the P1s but heard innumerable good things about the 6m P1, particularly when they came in pink! :lol:

Born-Kites:
NasaStar-5 (2.5m, 4.0m)
NasaStar-4 (2.5m)
NasaStar-3 (3.2m)

Ozone kites:
Access (6.0m)

Flysurfer Kites:
Peak-5 (2.5m)

Buggy:
Peter Lynn BigFoot+ nose & tail; midsection VTT rail & seat kit; home-brewed AQR

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT0003
khaakon

Mood: In one of his moods, again..

[*] posted on 11-1-2018 at 04:14 PM

I'll just chime in to agree with Windstruck Steve here;

I went from a P2 12m to a P3 12m to, like - 'get the newest model', but also to pass on the P2 12 to a good friend who needed it. The increase in bar pressure is not a good thing, atleast not in my experience with the 12m. Gets exhaustive for my arms much quicker than the P2, gotta take more brakes, or go less up wind. The reef line safety hasn't impressed me a lot either (so far).

But single skins are sweet kites, you got to love them for the low self-weight and the ability to fly in very light winds compared to other kites of the same size. They also have a lot of depower so you get a huge wind range. And they are kind of safe by not being very lifty kites.

BTW, anyone tried the Gin Shaman yet? I'd love to hear about it compared to other kites.

Or.. anyone but me tried a P1 kite on newer (flysurfer) bar. Recommendeds hugelies !!

# Flysurfer Peak 4 /4/5/6/8/11/13m -FS Connect bars # FS P5 6/8m -FS Connect bar
# Flysurfer Speed 5 /9m # Ozone Subzero /7m # 3, 6 & 12m line ext. # Ozone Ignition /2.5m trainerkite
# Sysmic S3 buggy # Black Crows skis
# Underwave Atlantis seat harness w/Dynabar, 2 steel rings sliding on rope # POC helmet & G-Form pads
# DJI Mini3 pro Drone
eric67m

[*] posted on 11-1-2018 at 05:33 PM

Everyone needs to stop all this " single skins are good for..." You are only letting new people in on our secret, limiting second hand kite availability and driving up prices.

Single skins are horrible and you do not want or need one. But I would love a 6-7M peak, longstar2 or race star.

Flying A mixed quiver of Flysurfer Peak kites.

Rollin in the Popeye The Welder Playa buggy.
Windstruck
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-1-2018 at 05:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by khaakon  
I'll just chime in to agree with Windstruck Steve here;

I went from a P2 12m to a P3 12m to, like - 'get the newest model', but also to pass on the P2 12 to a good friend who needed it. The increase in bar pressure is not a good thing, atleast not in my experience with the 12m. Gets exhaustive for my arms much quicker than the P2, gotta take more brakes, or go less up wind. The reef line safety hasn't impressed me a lot either (so far).

But single skins are sweet kites, you got to love them for the low self-weight and the ability to fly in very light winds compared to other kites of the same size. They also have a lot of depower so you get a huge wind range. And they are kind of safe by not being very lifty kites.

BTW, anyone tried the Gin Shaman yet? I'd love to hear about it compared to other kites.

Or.. anyone but me tried a P1 kite on newer (flysurfer) bar. Recommendeds hugelies !!

Great to finally hear about somebody actually trying and liking a P1 on a more modern bar. It has been mentioned in theory several times on PKF over the years but yours is the first I recall reading about actually trying it. While I've never actually seen (much less flown) a 6m, P1 folks that own one consistently rave about them. The shortcoming was said to be the early bar, so there you have it.

Not being nitpicky, but you have a "4m LS2" written in your autosignature. I suspect that is actually a "3.5m" as Born-Kite doesn't make a 4.0m. Assuming it is in fact the 3.5m then congratulations, you own a GREAT high wind SS! The last IBX (2017) was particularly windy most all of the week and I flew that kite most of the time with great confidence in what became some pretty crazy winds.

Another person not as pleased with the 12m P3 as the 12m P2 due to bar pressure. What a darn shame! If I were in the market for a 12m Peak then I would want to get my hands on this limited edition P2 as I think it is really beautiful, much cooler looking IMHO than the big green one:

[img][/img]

Born-Kites:
NasaStar-5 (2.5m, 4.0m)
NasaStar-4 (2.5m)
NasaStar-3 (3.2m)

Ozone kites:
Access (6.0m)

Flysurfer Kites:
Peak-5 (2.5m)

Buggy:

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT0003
Randy
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-1-2018 at 06:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by eric67m  
Everyone needs to stop all this " single skins are good for..." You are only letting new people in on our secret, limiting second hand kite availability and driving up prices.

Single skins are horrible and you do not want or need one. But I would love a 6-7M peak, longstar2 or race star.

No - best way to achieve this goal is to rave about the latest version or the new kite in town, so guys will sell their current versions cheap to get the new one.

NPW Test Pilot -US99
eric67m

[*] posted on 11-1-2018 at 06:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Randy  

No - best way to achieve this goal is to rave about the latest version or the new kite in town, so guys will sell their current versions cheap to get the new one.

Oh, I get you. Good plan. Newer is always better.

Wind_dog

Mood: Itchin' for the beach

[*] posted on 11-1-2018 at 07:31 PM

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY:
The Pink Peak1 6m SS are worthless.
If you have one I will step up and relieve you of your burden.
I'd do the same for a 9m Peak 1.

Seriously. U2U if you have one or da udder.

#Peak1_on_a_trimmable_bar=bliss

Always on the steep part of the learning curve.
Gin Shaman2 6m, 12m
Flysurfer Peak1 6m, Peak2 9m,Peak4, 3m
Misc. other kites, never getting out of their bags.
Riding a Libre Fullrace with an AQR on the beach
Riding a Blokart inland when gust factor > 4
And a couple Manta Singles for friends to ride.
eric67m

[*] posted on 11-1-2018 at 08:06 PM

Wait, Rick, don't you have a full peak quiver. Are you now trying for one size of each production version?

Wind_dog

[*] posted on 11-1-2018 at 08:25 PM

Well,
My Peak1 6m is my fav, but took a beating on the playas last year. A backup would be nice.
I'd also love to have a 9m Peak1 if it is any bit as nice as my 6m P1.
Just saying. I did pick up a small Longstar but have not had the chance to compare to my 4m P2
guess I am SS addicted.
R.

Gin Shaman2 6m, 12m
ColinW

[*] posted on 11-1-2018 at 09:01 PM

Another one lost to the dark (or is it light?) side.
I still like my fixed bridles, but I suppose I could be convinced to try someone's SS in my buggy at the next meet up.
If Santa had brought me one of the new hybrid Gins, I would have given it a thorough testing too.
eric67m

[*] posted on 11-1-2018 at 09:16 PM

Rick - longstar or longstar2

Colin - can you buy Gins in the great white north? I've heard they are not available in the United states.

ColinW

[*] posted on 11-1-2018 at 11:50 PM

Not that I know of, which is why I was looking for a little help from the even farther North:rolleyes:
Wind_dog

[*] posted on 12-1-2018 at 08:47 AM

There is a new LS2 3.5m in the house. Waiting for a chance to fly.
Playas are wet and snow is missing here, so I might need a trip to the beach soon.

We need a 5.5 or 7.5m LS2 and GIN Shaman 6m for SOBB demo flights!!
What better place and group to really put them through their paces?

R.

Gin Shaman2 6m, 12m
ssayre
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 12-1-2018 at 11:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Wind_dog  
Well,
My Peak1 6m is my fav, but took a beating on the playas last year. A backup would be nice.
I'd also love to have a 9m Peak1 if it is any bit as nice as my 6m P1.
Just saying. I did pick up a small Longstar but have not had the chance to compare to my 4m P2
guess I am SS addicted.
R.

Yep, the 6m is my fav as well. I bought another one after I sold you my old one if you recall.

P1 9m is a great kite. Not as "sporty" as the 6m. That's not surprising though. a 6/12 combo was always my goal, but never had the pleasure of owning the 12.
Blitzhound

Mood: I got a sickness, and the only cure is more Buggyin!

[*] posted on 12-1-2018 at 03:56 PM

I coulda sworn I heard someone say Peak? The peak is only good for two types of people. Those who live in old folks homes and me.

Steve. When you get that RaceStar in...you forget about all that IBX nonsense. You just pack up your kite and head up here to Oregon. We got amazing beaches, ginormous lake beds, and some of the best beer this side of the the Mississippi. We also got more Peak fanboys than you can shake a stick at.

NAPKA US541
HQ: Beamer V 5.0m,
Best: Bularoo 7m, Waroo 9m, 12m
PKD: Inferno 9m, 12m, 16.5m,
Ozone: SubZero: 5m, 7m, 9m, 11m, 13m, Access 6m, Pure 6m, Chrono V2 7m, V4 13m, Chrono EXP 7m, 9m, R1V3 21m
Buggies: GT-Revolt, GT-RazR,
eric67m

[*] posted on 12-1-2018 at 04:08 PM

John forgot to mention pulled pork on jalapeno kings rolls at SOBB buggy camp.

Steve, are you going to come up for SOBB this year ?

Windstruck
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 12-1-2018 at 09:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by eric67m  
John forgot to mention pulled pork on jalapeno kings rolls at SOBB buggy camp.

Steve, are you going to come up for SOBB this year ?

Is not there a Fall SOBB? The Spring one comes too close to IBX I fear to pull both of those off. Thank you for inviting me!

Born-Kites:
NasaStar-5 (2.5m, 4.0m)
NasaStar-4 (2.5m)
NasaStar-3 (3.2m)

Ozone kites:
Access (6.0m)

Flysurfer Kites:
Peak-5 (2.5m)

Buggy:

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT0003
Blitzhound

[*] posted on 13-1-2018 at 02:33 AM

There is a fall SOBB Steve, it ll most likely be around 9/1-9/9 over the Labor Day weekend. Also there is usually a gathering at Alvord dry lake around October. If you ve never researched Alvord you should. It make Ivanpah look like a Micro Playa.

NAPKA US541
Ozone: SubZero: 5m, 7m, 9m, 11m, 13m, Access 6m, Pure 6m, Chrono V2 7m, V4 13m, Chrono EXP 7m, 9m, R1V3 21m
Windstruck
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 13-1-2018 at 07:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Blitzhound  
There is a fall SOBB Steve, it ll most likely be around 9/1-9/9 over the Labor Day weekend. Also there is usually a gathering at Alvord dry lake around October. If you ve never researched Alvord you should. It make Ivanpah look like a Micro Playa.

Thanks John! Both sound great. Yes, I know all about Alvord and its vastness. The Mac-Daddy of all US playas I suspect. By mapping software it looks to be about equidistant to me as Ivanpah if it is where I think it is. Am I right in thinking it is just East of Steens Mountain and just North of the sprawling metropolis of Andrews, OR? If yes, then mapping software tells me it is about 7.5 hours from me if I go 80W to Winnemucca and then head North from there. Is that right?

I do have camping gear but I don't own a camper or anything like that. I'd likely be looking at pitching a tent. Is that what folks do? I suspect it is a mixture of campers and tents. At IBX I puss out and take a room in one of the casinos in Primm right next to it. That's about a 10 minute drive from IBX base camp.

Labor day weekend is likely not a good time for me to get away because of family commitments, but October might be a different story. For example, I went down to Ivanpah for a few days right before Thanksgiving a couple of months ago. Two get aways like this might be workable. Excited!

As for the Oregon coast that is a great dream and something I'd love to do with you guys at some point! My son recently graduated from U of OR in Eugene and we are all very enamored with OR and its coastline.

Born-Kites:
NasaStar-5 (2.5m, 4.0m)
NasaStar-4 (2.5m)
NasaStar-3 (3.2m)

Ozone kites:
Access (6.0m)

Flysurfer Kites:
Peak-5 (2.5m)

Buggy:

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT0003
Blitzhound

[*] posted on 13-1-2018 at 12:55 PM

Steve. Your mapping software is spot on for Alvords location. Thats interesting that it says you are 7.5hrs. Away. That means you are actually closer to Alvord than I am haha. Im about 8-8.5hrs away. Tents,RVs, a mix of everything. Sorry no casinos. LOL. There are natural hot springs though.I plan on making it out there sometime this year. Im working on getting the Ol Croozer set up for runnin on the Playa.

NAPKA US541

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio