Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: WHY?

Mood: You say "Born in a Barn" like it's a bad thing!

[*] posted on 1-12-2018 at 09:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by -mj-  
It may not look 'extreme' but I can say riding those paths is extremely fun! And a nice challenge too, a bit scary at times too when you get some good speed.

Btw, the beach there is huge, this was shot at high tide.

Alas, it is coastline. I think for a next video project we should look at something inland, as long as there's not too many trees biking or hiking trails might offer potential.

That was AWESOME! I bet that was fun and nerve racking at times. Nice fence on the upwind side. At least there were a lot of large protruding rocks downwind. Thanks for the post. :thumbup:

Born-Kite LongStar-2 (3.5m, 5.5m, 7.5m, 9.5m, 12.5m)
Born-Kite NasaStar-3 (1.5m, 2.5m, 3.2m, 4.0m)
Born-Kite StreetStar (4.0m)
Born-Kite RaceStar (5.0m, 9.0m)

Peter Lynn Bigfoot+ modified with VTT rail & seat kit (a seriously great performance upgrade), two sets of Sysmic rims (one set with BigFoot slicks for the beach and other set with 6-ply trailer tires for the playa), and BigKidKite's AQR (because it keeps me in my buggy and in my marriage)

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT000003

Mood: Weaned by leopards, raised by wolves...

[*] posted on 1-12-2018 at 10:17 AM

Luckily the light towers seem to be set way back from the paved track..... and a 2 liner to boot.

"I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was 12 - Jesus, does anyone?" - The Body by Stephen King

Mood: kite + longboard = awesomeness

[*] posted on 1-16-2018 at 01:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Windstruck  

That was AWESOME! I bet that was fun and nerve racking at times. Nice fence on the upwind side. At least there were a lot of large protruding rocks downwind. Thanks for the post. :thumbup:

Thanks, just goes to show that all you need to have fun is a basic buggy and a basic 4-liner. Dude in the vid isn't me btw, it's my buddy Yann, long time friend of the brand.

And yeah, kite skateboarding!

Marijn Tijhof,
Peter Lynn Kitesports

[*] posted on 1-16-2018 at 05:24 AM

Great videos gentlemen. :thumbup:

[*] posted on 1-16-2018 at 11:00 AM

Why ask why? Why not just go out and ride?

NPW Test Pilot -US99

[*] posted on 2-14-2018 at 10:14 PM

So I am looking at Slingshot's sweet Phantom and again asking myself why.
Why is it that we are at a time that foil kite technology is developing in leaps and bounds and the true route of the sport is drying up?

If I was still kiting in a pink cloud I would think the newer / better foil and SS kites would be drawing more to land kiting. Making it just that bit more accessible and safe.

I do agree with " just get out and ride " and gave up on trying to grow the sport long ago but am sad to see that even though the sport started with foil kites and buggies they are sort of being left behind.

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , 4.9m QuadrifoilXL kitesurfer, 9m Flexi Blade II, NPW 5 Danger.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)

[*] posted on 2-15-2018 at 05:48 AM

If it makes you feel any better the same thing has happened in windsurfing. Thirty years ago the equipment was terrible, hard to use, slow and boring. Yet the sport was huge. The equipment now is light years ahead, faster, easier to use, more portable - the sport is shell of its former self. The good news is there is plenty of great gear available used for pennies on the dollar.

NPW Test Pilot -US99

Mood: I got a Sickness, and the only cure is more Kite Buggyin!

[*] posted on 2-15-2018 at 07:03 PM

There is no COOL factor drawing in the younger crowd. As my 16yr old son so kindly pointed out. Its kinda lame he says. You got mostly guys between the ages of 30-90 buggyin. Granted there are a few exceptions. But few they are...I never get younger people approaching me about getting into the sport. Only older folks. People that can appreciate such a sport. The kids. When you mention kite sports. All they think about is guys on kiteboards flying through the air. Aaaaaand...IMO their all a bunch of pussies.

New Tech Kratos
Flysurfer Peak3 12m
HQ Alpha 1.5m, HQ Beamer V 5.0m,
Pansh Legend 2.0m
PL Viper S 2.6m, 3.9m, 5.3m, 6.8m
PL Phantom II 15m
Best Bularoo 7m, Best Waroo 9m, 12m
PKD Century Soulfly II 2.2m, 2.8m, 3.5m, 4.5m, 6.0m, 8.0m, 10m, 12.5m
Libre Hardcore, MG Croozer

[*] posted on 2-16-2018 at 02:39 AM

Interesting read. I agree 100% with what everyone has said so far, but I'd like to add some salt into the mix from a UK perspective.

I noticed that kite buggying changed in two ways from when I first started in 97. Firstly the popularity of harnesses oddly enough and secondly a sudden influx of people in about 2009.

Riding whilst hooked-in without a helmet is a bit silly, we can all agree. However, gone are the days when new riders can just turn up to their local field, unfold their PL bug and picture themselves pottering about, arms out stretched without one.

The popularity of the harness meant that an increasing number of riders were wearing helmets. This became the now familiar image people associate with kite buggying. Whether that's a good image or not is subjective I guess.

The influx of new riders had the affect of creating a misplaced fear among elders that a ban was imminent. Everyone was now expected to don a helmet or face a wrath of forum bullying and snide remarks over here. It was of course born out of self-interest rather than the genuine concern I witness from you guys. Did you know that there was even talk of UK moderators banning all videos that failed to adhere?

As far as I'm aware, there has never been a ban imposed on kite buggying as a result of rider injury.
Before you ask, the knee jerk ban at West Wittering was due to a child being accidentally lifted by an out-of-control kitesurfer. Of course, kitesurfers were free to continue, go figure.

Kitesurfers enjoy no such self-imposed restrictions, even with the inevitable fatalities they experience each year. Yet YouTube and forum comments were full of spite for buggy riders who are seen not to wear one.

New riders who joined the forums were told to lid up and those who sat in the shadows deciding whether to make the investment may have thought twice. After-all, that geeky look probably held little appeal.

Is it a coincidence then, that at the very height of kite buggying popularity, just as attitudes were changing and the atmosphere darkening, people either drifted away, transitioned to water or simply looked elsewhere for their fix.

:moon: Shoot me down. I don't care. :D

Mood: In one of his moods, again..

[*] posted on 2-16-2018 at 09:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by RedSky  
:moon: Shoot me down. I don't care. :D
:thumbup: Thanks for a well written post there, Redsky.

I quite agree! Of course we must take safety precautions, but we must not ruin the fun in the process. I myself like to make my riding as casual as I can, I do not enjoy dressing up head-to-toe with all sorts of gear. Weather depending, I usually ride in the same outfit as I wear on a daily basis. Conditions depending, I don a helmet and my pads. If I know it's gonna be tough winds and hard riding; the smart thing to do is protect myself against hard falls and whatnot - but on some days riding on a nice grassy field in max 30 km/h, I'll much rather enjoy the freedom i get without tons of gear on my body.

My personal safety comes second to everybody elses safety - I will not tell anyone they're doing it wrong if they like to put on whatever gear, to have a better experience if they feel safe. On a side note I do not usually wear a helmet when riding my bike. I've been doing sooo many things over so many years, I am not unaware of what I must do to avoid accidents or reduce the chances of serious injury. My job for the last +25 years has been as both a top, & ground rigger for concerts, TV and entertainment, so I am not unfamiliar with concerns and rules and demands for safety. I just often think that overdoing it not nesecerally makes it more safe, you can end up with solutions that creates new problems and possible misunderstandings of the situation.

# Born-Kite LongStar 2 /3.5m
# Flysurfer Peak 2 /6m + Peak 3 /12m
# Flysurfer Speed 5 /9m # 3, 6 & 12m line ext. # Ozone Ignition /2.5m trainerkite
# Libre V-Max full race Buggy on Midi XL's # MBS Comp 95 ATB # Elan Skis
# Underwave seat harness w/Dynabar, 2 rings sliding on rope# POC helmet & G-Form pads

Mood: In the

[*] posted on 2-16-2018 at 01:42 PM

I'll chime in with a noob perspective. Bug/ATB has way too much friction for it to grow in any meaningful way, at least here in NYC. It is a huge commitment to do any sport here, let alone one that involves so much time, right weather, skill and equipment. I'm sure that had a lot to do with the decline of windsurfing as well. Kiteboarding is way more accessible, the equipment is more manageable, and it hurts less when you fall. You can do it while on your amazing tropical vacation, and there's probably equipment there to rent, or just bring your own stuff. There's definitely the cool factor for the youngsters. That helps sell equipment. Some people like to go fast, some slow, some far, some high. It's all good.

The same questions popped up when I was hang gliding. A lot of folks gravitated toward paragliding for the same reasons. Less equipment, easier to manage, easier to set up/pack down. But unless you lived near a launch, either was a huge time suck. Not many are willing to commit. But like all of us, those that are, are in it 2000%. The hang gliding community (at least back then, I'm sure it's just as true now) was as small, tight knit and friendly as you all are - I like that.

As far as helmets go... I don't preach to anyone about what they should or shouldn't wear. But I will just say... I would not be here if I hadn't been wearing a bike helmet a few years ago. I would never think to not wear one kiting.

Kite: Charger 10m | Gin Eskimo III 14.5 | Gin Eskimo IV 8.5 | Pansh Flux 5m | Bullet 2.5 | Rage 2.5 | Beamer 1.8 | Sensei III 3m
(Where the heck did all these kites come from???)
Ride: MBS core 90
NAPKA Member US1701 (starship class)
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Hosting