Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: checking in on everyone after the Irma show
markite

[*] posted on 9-13-2017 at 10:08 AM
checking in on everyone after the Irma show

I was monitoring a few friends from Florida and Georgia while Irma lashed the area. Good to see and hear from Angus, Phillip, Dean and the overawes of how all faired - I think right now it's getting power restored and the clean up. A few of us have also been looking at the Facebook group called "friends of Jekyll Island" to see photos. A number of beach erosion shots, some quite dramatic in loss of dunes and changes to driftwood beach. Today a local is doing a circuit of the island by air to photograph and compare conditions.
I haven't seen anything from SSI Jim, hoping he is just dealing with hydro and all good with him as well as others from Florida and Georgia area that i have met at JIBE over the years.

A big fleet of Ontario hydro trucks and workers have headed south (200 workers from ontario and 52 bucks trucks + 30 other vehicles) and I see many other states and provinces sending help south:thumbup:
(my neighbors here in Canada have to head down to do some clean up on their Naples winter home after losing the carport and shed but hopefully nothing else)

Mark Groshens NAPKA KC 13
WindSpeed kites & design - Canada
Peter Lynn Arcs: Charger2 22.5 +18 + 15 + 6.5, Charger I 6, Scorpion 16 + 10, Phantom II 12 + 9, Orig Phantom 9 + 6, Synergy 10 + 8, F 1200, S 840
Ocean Rodeo: Flite 17 + 12, Rise 13 + 10 + 7, Razor 9 + 6
Foils: PL Leopards and Lynx, Airea Raptors, some PL Reactor IIs + IIIs, Libre Spirits, Cross Kite Sonics, Ozone Flow
Peter Lynn Kite Cat for cruising the lakes
buggies: PL XR+, Cameleon Pagona, custom bigfoot, PL Bigfoot, custom ice buggy
Boards: 2 custom directionals, O.R Surf series 6-3 and 5-11, Mako Duke, Mako Skinny, Mako 140 Wide, Mako 150 Wide, Mako King, Brunotti
lots of old school skis, snowboard
bigkid

Mood: :-)

[*] posted on 9-13-2017 at 10:28 AM

I also checked on a few I know in Texas. A friend is about to return from the corpus Christi area. It's hard to imagine the type of distruction water can bring, we're still dealing with bad air and ash from the wild fires that will more than likely burn into October before they are out.
Our hopes and prayers are with all those that are dealing with a natural disaster of some type.

Appex buggy, Libre hardcore buggies.
Flexboardz. Blokarts.
PKD Century Soulflys. NPW's. Nasa Stars.
A few other less flown oddballs,
Line sets from 10" to 328" or 2m to 100m.
worlds only AQR that works.
North American distributor for PKD.
"Kite Bugging is not an addiction until you try to quit".
soliver

Mood: sleepy

[*] posted on 9-13-2017 at 04:00 PM

I texted JimSSI the other day and he was evacuated from Saint Simons, Ga to Columbus, Ga... I think he said he was without internet currently. According to him and another friend of mine at work who is originally from Brunswickwith family still there, all of Glynn county (Saint Simons island, Jekyll Island and Brunswick) got some significant flooding, power outages and causeways to both islands are closed. I've emailed Angus but haven't heard back... assuming his power may be out still too.

Metro Atlanta wasn't hit too hard. A lot of trees down, short lived power outages and some damage to buildings downtown, but nothing major. A coworker is well acquainted with one of the 2 people who died from falling trees which were both tragic. On the whole though Atlanta (particularly Marietta where I am) is just fine.

Well wishes to all the Kiting brothers who were effected.

I'm going to take a nap now
oldben

Mood: Lucky to be alive, but ain't done yet

[*] posted on 9-16-2017 at 12:41 PM

Wow Irma was pretty bad ,way worse than Mathew!

We had flooding and trees down all over our island (near Darien, Ga). My wife and I rode it out at home. What a wild ride. We also rode out Mathew. This one was a lot more intimidating.

Check out the 7days winds at ikitesurf and look at Monday. Last big gust was upper 70s then it gaps in the worst of it. I'm guessing 90+ where we were. Tropical storm my a$$!

We lost power Sunday evening and just got it back today around 1:30. We had a solar generator that worked great. Ran the lighting, fans, tvs, etc, but no central ac of course.
Glad to be in a\c again.

Overall we are in good shape. Had friends in our old neighborhood in Brunswick loose everything to flooding. Bad deal bless their hearts!

soliver

Mood: sleepy

[*] posted on 9-16-2017 at 02:18 PM

Glad you're ok Oldben... I heard back from Angus yesterday and he seems to be doing alright... he said that he and his Mrs rode out the storm in their home in Brunswick. Told me things are looking a little rough on JI and SSI.

I'm going to take a nap now

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio