Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: new boarder
littledave101

[*] posted on 3-30-2007 at 08:47 AM
new boarder

i have just started using a atb board, is there a best way of learning how to do it.
B-Roc

[*] posted on 3-30-2007 at 09:05 AM

Visit this link (ATB basics) http://www.kiteatb.co.uk/category/basics/ and start reading. should give you some fundementals.

Best way to learn is just go out and do it and then let us know where you struggle (likely you'll originally struggle to get going, then you'll struggle to not outrun the kite, then you'll struggle to get upwind).

Its a progression and nothing beats just doing it.

Depower Quiver: 14m Gin Eskimo, 10m Gin Eskimo III, 6m Gin Yeti, 4.5m Gin Yeti (custom bridle and mixer)
Fixed Bridle Quiver: MAC Bego 400, JOJO ET Instinct 2.5 & 5.5, Lil Devil 1.5, Sting 1.2
Rides: Ground Industries
domdino

[*] posted on 3-30-2007 at 09:07 AM

umm... lean back and suck it up. Don't let yourself lean forward and don't let yourself come out of the board - itll probably hurt you more if you bail than if you just lean back and fall on your ass.

But read this before you think about that!
http://www.kiteatb.co.uk/basics/starting_to_board

Pablo

Mood: Stoked

[*] posted on 3-30-2007 at 09:21 AM

I second the lean back thing, way easier to fall on your rear than to fly superman style out the front door. The key's in getting the right amount of power out of the kite to get rolling without yanking you off the board. Trick for step two is once you're rolling how to cut from somewhat down wind to cross wind so you don't catch up to the kite. Trick for step three seems to be to keep your forward leg straight, back leg bent, somehow this always helps to get upwind.

Wear a helmet and give it a go. Oh yeah, vid of your first attempt is always good to watch.:frog: Don't worry, we were all there at one time, stick with it.

Sysmic S1 Buggy.

0.7m / 1.4m / 2.0m PKD Buster I
4.4m PKD Buster
10m JoJo RM+

6m Flysurfer Outlaw
12m Ozone Access
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
code

[*] posted on 3-30-2007 at 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pablo
Wear a helmet and give it a go. Oh yeah, vid of your first attempt is always good to watch.:frog: Don't worry, we were all there at one time, stick with it.

I suppose I'll need to start getting more video footage of myself. I've been kiting how long now, and still on occassion do the fly off the board forward onto my face move. It's quite impressive and takes time to master to make it look good.:spin:

Ozone Access 4m
Beamer TSR 5m
MBS Board
Pablo

[*] posted on 3-30-2007 at 01:03 PM

You and me both, I've been lucky not to have a camera around at times, Not too long ago I ended up walking back to the buggy with one shoe still stuck in the footstraps, kite stuck in a tree. Sometimes it just happens.

Sysmic S1 Buggy.

4.4m PKD Buster
10m JoJo RM+

6m Flysurfer Outlaw
12m Ozone Access
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
code

[*] posted on 3-30-2007 at 03:03 PM

too funny...had something very similar happen just this past weekend. stepped into my mountainboard, gust hit and I flew off forward a good 5'. Fell on my face, got back up and there's my right show still stuck in the foot strap on the board. :D Was waiting for someone to say something, but luckly I don't "think" anyone saw..I could be wrong though.
~Joe

Ozone Access 4m
Beamer TSR 5m
MBS Board
littledave101

[*] posted on 3-30-2007 at 04:29 PM

Thanks everyone im going to try it out tommorow i will let you know how i got on.

KITES:
PDK Buster 2, 2.0m
Flexifoil pro team 8
Firebee force 2.3
Ozone IMP 2.0

LANDBOARD:
MBS core 1
B-Roc

[*] posted on 3-30-2007 at 05:57 PM

How much do you weigh? If you are going to go landboarding with a 2m you are going to need winds in excess of 20 mph - depending upon your weight.

I'm looking at your signature (and I'm not familiar with how hard the Proteam 8 pulls) but I'm thinking all your kites are grouped tightly together in terms of wind range.

If you get on with the buster you may want to consider selling the Firebee and the Proteam and getting a 4m buster so you can fly in more sedate winds.

And this is not nit-picky, I'm just trying to help you with a type-o in your sig... Its PKD and did MBS come out with a core 9 or do you mean the core 8?? Not picking on you just helping you with your sig - because we all know :rolleyes: that the breadth of one's knowledge can be measured by the length of one's signature :wink2: well that and post count of course :wow:

Depower Quiver: 14m Gin Eskimo, 10m Gin Eskimo III, 6m Gin Yeti, 4.5m Gin Yeti (custom bridle and mixer)
Fixed Bridle Quiver: MAC Bego 400, JOJO ET Instinct 2.5 & 5.5, Lil Devil 1.5, Sting 1.2
Rides: Ground Industries
littledave101

[*] posted on 3-31-2007 at 03:53 AM

thanks for your help, i weight about 10 stone, the firebee is a good kite for landboarding its very strongn, but im looking at athe rage to buy what do you thing of this kite?

KITES:
PDK Buster 2, 2.0m
Flexifoil pro team 8
Firebee force 2.3
Ozone IMP 2.0

LANDBOARD:
MBS core 1
Pablo

[*] posted on 3-31-2007 at 08:19 AM

The Rage is a good solid kite, sort of replaced the old Bullet which is also an awesome kite. While they were good in the buggy I only know of a handful of people that ATB with them. I think the boarders find it easier with something that has a little more lift.

Sysmic S1 Buggy.

4.4m PKD Buster
10m JoJo RM+

6m Flysurfer Outlaw
12m Ozone Access
littledave101

[*] posted on 4-1-2007 at 04:02 AM

what do you think the best kites to ATB with are?

KITES:
PDK Buster 2, 2.0m
Flexifoil pro team 8
Firebee force 2.3
Ozone IMP 2.0

LANDBOARD:
MBS core 1
Pablo

[*] posted on 4-1-2007 at 08:20 AM

If you want to go high at all costs, Blade III or IV.
Stable with decent speed and decent air, Brooza.
For depowerable, PL Scorpion, Venom, Phantom. Ozone Frenzy

Those are all kites that are well proven, build quality is high, performance is solid and they'll take a lot of abuse.

Sysmic S1 Buggy.

4.4m PKD Buster
10m JoJo RM+

6m Flysurfer Outlaw
12m Ozone Access

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio