Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Sysmic rims and tires ideal for Ivanpah playa
Windstruck

Mood: Feelin' oh so (single) skinny and Sysmic!

[*] posted on 6-12-2017 at 03:34 PM
Sysmic rims and tires ideal for Ivanpah playa

I'm looking to get a second set of Sysmic rims and tires to swap out for my BigFoots when I head down to Ivanpah. Below is what I'm running now with 20mm in back and 12mm up front. I bought the rims and tires from Utahtami a few years ago who I think got them originally from Van. I love how these look and roll and want to get a same-height-much-narrower matching setup for the rock hard playa. The BigFoots are perfect for my beach riding along the shore of the Great Salt Lake.

Here is what I have now:

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

Anybody have something they want to sell me used? Baring that, does anybody know of a source at this point? I'll reach out to Van, but last he and I spoke a couple of years ago he was focusing on other things and I'm not sure he is still in the kite buggy game.

Thanks in advance!

Kites:
Born-Kite LongStar-2 (3.5m, 5.5m, 7.5m, 9.5m, 12.5m);
Born-Kite NASA Star-3 (1.5m, 2.5m, 3.2m, 4.0m; z-bridled for handle flying)

Buggy:
Peter Lynn Bigfoot+ modified with VTT rail & seat kit (a seriously great performance upgrade), two sets of Sysmic rims (one set with BigFoot slicks for the "beach" of the Great Salt Lake and the other with 6-ply trailer tires for the Ivanpah playa), and BigKidKites AQR (because it keeps me in the bug and in my marriage)

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT00003
jeepersjoey

Mood: I go broke trying to save money

[*] posted on 6-12-2017 at 05:37 PM

Steve,

I've bought both of my sets of rims from Van. The second set was less than a year ago. He probably still has some.

I love my trailer tires that I have mounted. They were less than $20 each. $5 to get mounted. If you need more info, I can send a pic of them.

Paul
Windstruck

[*] posted on 6-12-2017 at 06:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by jeepersjoey  
Steve,

I've bought both of my sets of rims from Van. The second set was less than a year ago. He probably still has some.

I love my trailer tires that I have mounted. They were less than $20 each. $5 to get mounted. If you need more info, I can send a pic of them.

Paul

Thanks for weighing in Paul! I did send Van an email earlier as well. Are these the wheels from your latest IBX videos?

Kites:

Buggy:
Peter Lynn Bigfoot+ modified with VTT rail & seat kit (a seriously great performance upgrade), two sets of Sysmic rims (one set with BigFoot slicks for the "beach" of the Great Salt Lake and the other with 6-ply trailer tires for the Ivanpah playa), and BigKidKites AQR (because it keeps me in the bug and in my marriage)

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT00003
jeepersjoey

Mood: I go broke trying to save money

[*] posted on 6-12-2017 at 06:40 PM

Yup. Definitely.
Windstruck

[*] posted on 6-12-2017 at 07:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by jeepersjoey  
Yup. Definitely.

Just looked at the video again. Yup, those are exactly what I want! Hopefully Van still has some! :cool:

Kites:

Buggy:

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT00003
Chook

[*] posted on 6-13-2017 at 04:46 PM

Boys are using these on both buggys and land yachts here in Australia.
Rim 1.85"x17" Aluminum by Sysmic and fitted with scooter tyres. They are a really nice alloy rim in the Sysmic tradition.
rim1_85x17-1.jpg - 60kB
Windstruck

[*] posted on 6-13-2017 at 05:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Chook  
Boys are using these on both buggys and land yachts here in Australia.
Rim 1.85"x17" Aluminum by Sysmic and fitted with scooter tyres. They are a really nice alloy rim in the Sysmic tradition.

Thanks Chook! After some back and forth with Paul (Jeepersjoey) I've decided to go with a second set of 8x4 Sysmics with some 6-ply tires barely wider than the rims. This will be akin to making my buggy more of an SUV than a Sports Car but I think it will suit me better. A lot of folks run with the exact setup you describe on our playas here in the states and they would no doubt work wonderfully.

I battle nerves at high speeds in the buggy and I think looking down at slightly wider tires will make me feel more comfortable psychologically. I know I felt that way when on my road bikes versus mountain bikes and when I was on 150x25mm versus 200x50mm wheels of doom.

Kites:

Buggy:

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT00003

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Hosting