Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Flying Spot (Utah)
slapbasswoody


Avatar


Posts: 163
Registered: 5-20-2011
Location: Sandy, Utah
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 4-20-2017 at 10:11 AM
Flying Spot (Utah)


Sunday afternoon is looking good for a bit of northerly wind buggy action.
We'll be there.




PKA# K754
XXtreme XXRacer
Set of Reactor 3s
Chrono v2 9 - 15m
View user's profile View All Posts By User
Windstruck


Avatar


Posts: 2445
Registered: 5-16-2015
Location: Park City, UT, USA
Member Is Offline

Mood: Feelin' oh so (single) skinny and Sysmic!

[*] posted on 4-20-2017 at 10:32 AM


Quote: Originally posted by slapbasswoody  
Sunday afternoon is looking good for a bit of northerly wind buggy action.
We'll be there.


Go get some! Unfortunately, I'm in NYC working this weekend (leave tomorrow). Yuck.

Paul (jeepersjoey) was asking this AM about the quality of the ride and wind at the SL "beach" sites. I sent him position markers in Google maps for the Great Saltaire and SL Flying Spot. I've only stood (or sat) on them so far but to date no riding! You of course have real life experience. He's curious is there are a bunch of Billy Bob pickup truck donut ruts and the like.




Kites:
Born-Kite LongStar-2 (3.5m, 5.5m, 7.5m, 9.5m, 12.5m);
Born-Kite NASA Star-3 (1.5m, 2.5m, 3.2m, 4.0m; z-bridled for handle flying)

Buggy:
Peter Lynn Bigfoot+ modified with VTT rail & seat kit (a seriously great performance upgrade), two sets of Sysmic rims (one set with BigFoot slicks for the "beach" of the Great Salt Lake and the other with 6-ply trailer tires for the Ivanpah playa), and BigKidKites AQR (because it keeps me in the bug and in my marriage)

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT00003
View user's profile View All Posts By User
Blitzhound


Avatar


Posts: 352
Registered: 7-10-2013
Location: Reedsport, Oregon
Member Is Offline

Mood: I got a Sickness, and the only cure is more Kite Buggyin!

[*] posted on 4-20-2017 at 11:08 PM


Billy bob truck donuts? You a city boy? Ain't never driving a truck or dun a donut before? I suppose it's not easy dooin donuts in a Prius.



NAPKA US541
New Tech Kratos
Flysurfer Peak3 12m
HQ Alpha 1.5m, HQ Beamer V 5.0m, HQ Neo 8.0m,
Pansh Legend 2.0m
PL Viper S 2.6m, PL Phantom II 15m
Best Bularoo 7m, Best Waroo 9m, 12m
PKD Century Soulfly II 2.2m, 3.5m, 4.5m, 6.0m, 10m
Libre Hardcore, MG Croozer
View user's profile View All Posts By User
Windstruck


Avatar


Posts: 2445
Registered: 5-16-2015
Location: Park City, UT, USA
Member Is Offline

Mood: Feelin' oh so (single) skinny and Sysmic!

[*] posted on 4-21-2017 at 06:05 AM


Quote: Originally posted by Blitzhound  
Billy bob truck donuts? You a city boy? Ain't never driving a truck or dun a donut before? I suppose it's not easy dooin donuts in a Prius.


Now don't be hatin' Blitzy! I'm just passing along a message from a good friend, so don't be hatin' on him neither. :moon:

As for the Prius slight, I can't stand 'em. Fact is I practically puke at the site of 'em. :barf:

Donuts? Don't even get me started. I grew up on the dirt roads of Vermont and was doing donuts on my BigWheel before I could ski. But Donut ruts on my buggy surface? Forget about it! :lol:




Kites:
Born-Kite LongStar-2 (3.5m, 5.5m, 7.5m, 9.5m, 12.5m);
Born-Kite NASA Star-3 (1.5m, 2.5m, 3.2m, 4.0m; z-bridled for handle flying)

Buggy:
Peter Lynn Bigfoot+ modified with VTT rail & seat kit (a seriously great performance upgrade), two sets of Sysmic rims (one set with BigFoot slicks for the "beach" of the Great Salt Lake and the other with 6-ply trailer tires for the Ivanpah playa), and BigKidKites AQR (because it keeps me in the bug and in my marriage)

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT00003
View user's profile View All Posts By User
slapbasswoody


Avatar


Posts: 163
Registered: 5-20-2011
Location: Sandy, Utah
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 4-21-2017 at 06:35 AM


Well Steve,

I hope you have a good weekend and we will try also.
As for the beach.
The last time we flew down at the flying spot it was billiard table flat.
There are the odd rut very close to the entrance but apart from that the rest is lovely.
I will report any changes to the surface after the weekend. OHHHHH and you can drop your kites without it being like a belt sander attacking them.

All the best




PKA# K754
XXtreme XXRacer
Set of Reactor 3s
Chrono v2 9 - 15m
View user's profile View All Posts By User
jeepersjoey


Avatar


Posts: 272
Registered: 1-1-2012
Member Is Offline

Mood: I go broke trying to save money

[*] posted on 4-21-2017 at 06:38 AM


I bought a 1994 Toyota pickup 6 months before I graduated from college. I was living in North Carolina at the time.

Does that qualify me to be a Billy Bob?

Yea...I used that term to Steve...it was in reference to the ruts that I seemed to be magically attracted to when I was at Ivanpah earlier this month.

Like the eye of the Hurricane....first you hit the outside edge of the ruts...then it was nice...but you KNEW what what coming...yup...the other side of the ruts.

It was almost a perfectly (annoying) circle of rut. Ick! I hope they got stuck!

Paul
View user's profile View All Posts By User
Windstruck


Avatar


Posts: 2445
Registered: 5-16-2015
Location: Park City, UT, USA
Member Is Offline

Mood: Feelin' oh so (single) skinny and Sysmic!

[*] posted on 4-21-2017 at 07:41 AM


Quote: Originally posted by jeepersjoey  
I bought a 1994 Toyota pickup 6 months before I graduated from college. I was living in North Carolina at the time.

Does that qualify me to be a Billy Bob?

Yea...I used that term to Steve...it was in reference to the ruts that I seemed to be magically attracted to when I was at Ivanpah earlier this month.

Like the eye of the Hurricane....first you hit the outside edge of the ruts...then it was nice...but you KNEW what what coming...yup...the other side of the ruts.

It was almost a perfectly (annoying) circle of rut. Ick! I hope they got stuck!

Paul


I know exactly which ruts you are talking about! I saw them coming and turned before being swallowed whole. Pissed me off to see them!

Woody - I like the idea of not kiting over a belt sander for a change! :lol:




Kites:
Born-Kite LongStar-2 (3.5m, 5.5m, 7.5m, 9.5m, 12.5m);
Born-Kite NASA Star-3 (1.5m, 2.5m, 3.2m, 4.0m; z-bridled for handle flying)

Buggy:
Peter Lynn Bigfoot+ modified with VTT rail & seat kit (a seriously great performance upgrade), two sets of Sysmic rims (one set with BigFoot slicks for the "beach" of the Great Salt Lake and the other with 6-ply trailer tires for the Ivanpah playa), and BigKidKites AQR (because it keeps me in the bug and in my marriage)

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT00003
View user's profile View All Posts By User
Blitzhound


Avatar


Posts: 352
Registered: 7-10-2013
Location: Reedsport, Oregon
Member Is Offline

Mood: I got a Sickness, and the only cure is more Kite Buggyin!

[*] posted on 4-21-2017 at 11:01 AM


Don't go getting your panties in a bunch. Nobody's hatin. Sept maybe you. Hatin on us simple country folk that get enjoyment out of something as simple as a donut in the mud. Haha...good times... I understand that it's an inconvenience to you. But someone had a good time doin that and left with a smile. I ment no offense to anyone I was merely trying to show a different perspective. They were just trying to have a little fun, just like you. My point was...there is no need to throw people under the bus or degrade them by calling them Billy Bob's. (We both know it was ment to be derogatory.) I apologize for my kind and their donuts.



NAPKA US541
New Tech Kratos
Flysurfer Peak3 12m
HQ Alpha 1.5m, HQ Beamer V 5.0m, HQ Neo 8.0m,
Pansh Legend 2.0m
PL Viper S 2.6m, PL Phantom II 15m
Best Bularoo 7m, Best Waroo 9m, 12m
PKD Century Soulfly II 2.2m, 3.5m, 4.5m, 6.0m, 10m
Libre Hardcore, MG Croozer
View user's profile View All Posts By User
Windstruck


Avatar


Posts: 2445
Registered: 5-16-2015
Location: Park City, UT, USA
Member Is Offline

Mood: Feelin' oh so (single) skinny and Sysmic!

[*] posted on 4-21-2017 at 12:36 PM


Quote: Originally posted by Blitzhound  
Don't go getting your panties in a bunch. Nobody's hatin. Sept maybe you. Hatin on us simple country folk that get enjoyment out of something as simple as a donut in the mud. Haha...good times... I understand that it's an inconvenience to you. But someone had a good time doin that and left with a smile. I ment no offense to anyone I was merely trying to show a different perspective. They were just trying to have a little fun, just like you. My point was...there is no need to throw people under the bus or degrade them by calling them Billy Bob's. (We both know it was ment to be derogatory.) I apologize for my kind and their donuts.


Well played! :thumbup:




Kites:
Born-Kite LongStar-2 (3.5m, 5.5m, 7.5m, 9.5m, 12.5m);
Born-Kite NASA Star-3 (1.5m, 2.5m, 3.2m, 4.0m; z-bridled for handle flying)

Buggy:
Peter Lynn Bigfoot+ modified with VTT rail & seat kit (a seriously great performance upgrade), two sets of Sysmic rims (one set with BigFoot slicks for the "beach" of the Great Salt Lake and the other with 6-ply trailer tires for the Ivanpah playa), and BigKidKites AQR (because it keeps me in the bug and in my marriage)

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT00003
View user's profile View All Posts By User
Bladerunner


Avatar


Posts: 9446
Registered: 10-17-2006
Location: Vancouver
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 4-23-2017 at 09:03 AM


Ivanpah is set aside by the BLM for wind NON-motorised vehicles. You can legally go out on other dry lakes or pay for the pleasure of tearing up El Mirage.

When outsiders come in and spin doughnuts those ruts last for years and years. This isn't a case of pulling out on an Oregon Beach and tearing it up were the ruts are fixed with the next tide or storm. it's a REAL problem!

I don't care what you call these ignorant Aholes as long as you call the cops if you see them out there! :mad:




Kites: 2.5m Profoil , 4.9m QuadrifoilXL kitesurfer, 9m Flexi Blade II, NPW 5 Danger.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
View user's profile View All Posts By User
Windstruck


Avatar


Posts: 2445
Registered: 5-16-2015
Location: Park City, UT, USA
Member Is Offline

Mood: Feelin' oh so (single) skinny and Sysmic!

[*] posted on 4-23-2017 at 09:12 AM


Quote: Originally posted by Bladerunner  
Ivanpah is set aside by the BLM for wind NON-motorised vehicles. You can legally go out on other dry lakes or pay for the pleasure of tearing up El Mirage.

When outsiders come in and spin doughnuts those ruts last for years and years. This isn't a case of pulling out on an Oregon Beach and tearing it up were the ruts are fixed with the next tide or storm. it's a REAL problem!

I don't care what you call these ignorant Aholes as long as you call the cops if you see them out there! :mad:


Word.




Kites:
Born-Kite LongStar-2 (3.5m, 5.5m, 7.5m, 9.5m, 12.5m);
Born-Kite NASA Star-3 (1.5m, 2.5m, 3.2m, 4.0m; z-bridled for handle flying)

Buggy:
Peter Lynn Bigfoot+ modified with VTT rail & seat kit (a seriously great performance upgrade), two sets of Sysmic rims (one set with BigFoot slicks for the "beach" of the Great Salt Lake and the other with 6-ply trailer tires for the Ivanpah playa), and BigKidKites AQR (because it keeps me in the bug and in my marriage)

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT00003
View user's profile View All Posts By User

  Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Hosting