Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: My new Stratta Bache kites
NPWflyer

[*] posted on 10-28-2016 at 11:30 PM
My new Stratta Bache kites

I'm now on my 2nd iteration of the Stratta Bache kite (a dual line single skin design that is probably the simplest power kite possible) and have been really surprised by this design. I mainly fly it on very short lines or off the bridle (more the latter). The version I use (there are 3 or so different variations on this design) was further improved by Gabor Rudas and these improvements seemed to help its no-line and long line performance considerably. I know its not as good as a NPW but given the luck and fun I have had flying (and making) them I thought any DIY-ers who want a single skin kite without the work of making a NPW may want to take a look at it.

WELDNGOD

Mood: Dyin' to go flyin'

[*] posted on 10-29-2016 at 07:20 AM

You flying a blue tarp??????

WELDNGOD on VIMEO
https://vimeo.com/user2580342

NAPKA US187
PKD
Combat 2.4 / 4.2
Century 1.8 / 5.5
Century II 2.2/2.8/3.5/4.5 /10.0
Brooza IV 3.0 prototype
Buster Soulfly 1.5 / 2.2 (KIA)/ 3.3 (lost at sea)
Buster Soulfly PRO 3.3 / 4.4
Buster (gen 1) 5.5
FLEXIFOIL
Sting 1.7 Punk
Rage 2.5 / 3.5/ 4.7
Revolution 1.5 SLE
17 ply Custom TRAMPA w/ verTIGo trucks
2 homebrew buggies,2 homebrew KYTBYKS,1 homebrew tandem trailer
GOPRO 3 WHITE, 3+ BLACK, HERO5 BLACK
CONTOUR HD
LET YOUR SOULFLY!

RIDER for KOKOPELLI KITER

bigkid

Mood: :-)

[*] posted on 10-29-2016 at 07:31 AM

Quote: Originally posted by WELDNGOD  
You flying a blue tarp??????

I've opened my coat in a few instances to buggy across a dry lake bed, a blue tarp is cool. Maybe get a camo tarp from Harbor Freight for 5 bucks.

Appex buggy, Libre hardcore buggies.
Flexboardz. Blokarts.
PKD Century Soulflys. NPW's. Nasa Stars.
A few other less flown oddballs,
Line sets from 10" to 328" or 2m to 100m.
worlds only AQR that works.
North American distributor for PKD.
"Kite Bugging is not an addiction until you try to quit".
Bladerunner

[*] posted on 10-29-2016 at 11:49 AM

Simple and cool!

A fantastic project to do with your kids. I would think that a young kid would be thrilled to build and fly someting so simple and cool. I 1st felt the power of the wind as a kid holding my beach towel against a strong wind. The towel acted simialr and the pull was a rush that stuck with me for the rest of my life.
I would ruin it for a kid.Turning it into a boring lesson about lift and drag etc..

I suspect that getting upwind with this design will be a struggle at least? It would probably fly in much lower winds with a lighter skin.

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
NPWflyer

[*] posted on 10-29-2016 at 01:08 PM

Thanks! I wish I had known about this design (or similar) when I was a kid. Gabor and Randy have done extensive testing with sizes larger than mine so they would know more about how big the window is and upwind capabilities. From a cost/effort to make comparison to other kites the capabilities of the Stratta are very good. One article says that a 6 sq m kite can generate 50kg of traction force at BF 5. Even a large design can be made in short order. As far as this being a kid kite that is an idea. The only thing I notice is these kites are a bit slow when they move through the power zone so you just may wanna be careful with kids depending on the size of the kite. Gabor Rudas and Randy have a number of videos of them putting the Stratta through its paces and I recommend (I link to them from my videos) watching those. The comments on those videos are worth looking at too. I have been toying with the idea of putting a light foam backing material to make it more water re-launchable but I don't kite surf so I'm fine with what I got ATM.

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio