Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Taking a break with a foil kite
rofer

Mood: Praying for wind

[*] posted on 9-20-2016 at 07:39 AM
Taking a break with a foil kite

So, say you've been out kiting for a while and your want to take a quick break without actually putting your kite away. Assuming you're on land, with an arc you can just let it sit at the zenith and with an LEI you can park it at the edge of the window. What do you do with a foil?

The best I've managed is to just set it directly downwind with the leading edge down and the bar fully depowered. That way the kite hardly pulls, it won't get tangled, and it can relaunch easily. However, something about this doesn't feel right.

Is there a better way to park your kite while you rest?

Water: 2013 Edge 7m, Cronix 12m, 2013 Flite 17m
Land: Peak 2 6m & 9m, Speed 4 8m

I have kites for sale!
abkayak

Mood: loving life and becoming wise in simplicity

[*] posted on 9-20-2016 at 09:08 AM

i think most just stake out the brake lines w/ the leading edge up ready to go
unless its blowing super hard or is gusty and changing directions its usually fine

US-31...Cquad set/ 2.5 Bullet/ 2.6 Viper/ 2.9m Reactor/ 2- 3.5m Bullet/ 3.6 Beamer/ 4m Buster/ 4m Toxic/ 4m Ikon dp/ 4.5 Bullet/ 4.9m Blade/ 5.6 Twister/ 6.6m Blade/ 7.5 Apex/ 9m Fuel/ Phantom I 9,12,15,18/ 2 Flexibugs/ PL Big Foot/ landboards
Bladerunner

[*] posted on 9-20-2016 at 10:12 AM

If I get you right I rest up using all kites accept my arcs with the kite depowered and off to one side. How far down the edge depends on wind conditions. The more powered I am the lower I like to set it.

I rest with my arcs to one side as well if the wind is sketchy.

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
DialedN_07

[*] posted on 9-21-2016 at 06:24 AM

I park it directly downwind parking it on the ground leading edge up. Stake the brake lines and just let it sit.

One quick tug on the handles and it goes right back to Zenith.

Handful of single liners
Delta dual line stunt Kites
Prism Synapse 170
Prism Tensor 3.1
PKD Buster Soulfly PRO 4.4
rofer

Mood: Praying for wind

[*] posted on 9-21-2016 at 07:13 AM

I probably should have specified I specifically meant depower foils. I'm looking for the equivalent of staking the brake lines when you're flying with a bar instead.

bladerunner: Can you take your hands off the bar like that? With my LEIs (so long as the wind isn't horribly gusty) I can park them and then take a break with both my hands free. I never felt comfortable doing the same thing with my Speed 4, but maybe that works there too.

Water: 2013 Edge 7m, Cronix 12m, 2013 Flite 17m
Land: Peak 2 6m & 9m, Speed 4 8m

I have kites for sale!
Bladerunner

[*] posted on 9-21-2016 at 12:48 PM

I park my Flysurfers pretty much like my FB foils on ground. I do a single wrap around my kite stake with the back / brake lines and set the bar behind the stake. If I am worried I will also put my 5th line leash under a separate stake.

When it comes to resting with the kite flying to one side I think I tend to keep one hand on the bar to help " feel " what the kite is doing without watching it. The smaller the kite and the more shifty the wind dictates how long I can go without adjusting the kite / working with no hands on it. A small Speed and anything less than steady winds will require pretty much constant attention.

To be honest, I don't know how steady new Speeds sit at the edge. I know that you can Ghost Launch Peaks. That pretty much tells me it will sit at the edge with very little drift. New LEI's will do the same. New Speeds ????

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
Demoknight

Mood: ADIDAK

[*] posted on 12-2-2016 at 09:54 AM

Most depower foils come with a brake strap that goes between the brake lines. I usually stake that with the bar. You want to stake the bar and brake strap both, or else you might end up with an inverted flappy rag.

NAPKA US8008

Kites:

Ozone R1 V3 7m
Flysurfer Sonic v3 15m
Flysurfer Speed 3 Deluxe 19m
Peter Lynn Charger 2 12m
Ozone Access Reride 6m
Peter Lynn 2013 Reactor 5.5m
Peter Lynn 2013 Reactor 8.6m
Prism Tensor 5.0m

Ride:
GT-Race Code:R6