Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: HQ Rush School 300 Depower Trainer.
Feyd

[*] posted on 4-5-2016 at 06:46 AM
HQ Rush School 300 Depower Trainer.

Finally got around to playing with the Rush School Depower Trainer and I have to say we are pretty psyched on it. Took a while to get here but it was worth the wait. Trainer toughness in a 3m low lift depower makes me think this kite will server awesome double duty as a trainer and high wind weapon.

And she's just fun as heck to fly and looks great in the air.

Our full review can be found here...

http://www.hardwaterkiter.com/kite-and-gear-reviews

Chris Krug-Owner @ Hardwater Kiting. Authorized Dealer of Ozone, Flysurfer, HQ kites.
www.hardwaterkiter.com 603-986-2784
rustvariable2

[*] posted on 5-5-2016 at 08:17 AM

Can I fly this kite without a harness?

I've been shopping for a 2-line sport/stunt kite but as I read your review I thought, "Why not get a kite that can teach me all the skills I need for traction kiting? I might want to try kite skiing or kite boarding someday."
rustvariable2

[*] posted on 5-6-2016 at 03:06 AM

I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on this kite package but I still have three questions and I want to bump this thread.

1. Can I fly this kite without a harness?
2. If I decide I want to kite ski next Winter, will the HQ seat harness work okay?
3. Do I need to buy the harness a size larger to account for winter clothing?

The question only I can answer is, do I really want a traction kite trainer or do I want a sport/stunt kite that can be flown without a harness?
Feyd

[*] posted on 5-6-2016 at 08:07 AM

Just like other depows it can be flown unhooked but the settings will have to be set to simulate full trim.

HQ Seat Harness will work great. If you don't already have one contact us and we can put together a package deal.

The HQ harness is pretty generous in terms of what a given size will accomodate. Most harnesses seem to be that way apart from the New Dakines which are snugger than ever these days. The surest bet in terms of fit regardless of season is the Ozone SB or Connect. One size fits all.

In terms of a kite that can be fun to fly and that you can actually ride with, the HQ School. For simple static flying, a stunt kite will do.

Chris Krug-Owner @ Hardwater Kiting. Authorized Dealer of Ozone, Flysurfer, HQ kites.
rustvariable2

[*] posted on 5-6-2016 at 08:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Feyd  
Just like other depows it can be flown unhooked but the settings will have to be set to simulate full trim.

I'm only buying the kite this summer. I probably won't visit your shop for a lesson and a harness until next Winter.

I've never flown a 4-line kite but I suspect this trim setup you're describing involves the length of the lines. Do you think I can figure it out by myself?
ssayre

[*] posted on 5-6-2016 at 08:45 AM

He ships so you don't have to be close to his shop. Personally, I don't have any shop nearby so I always get my stuff shipped and Feyd is great to work with and will be far more knowledgeable about products than any local shop I'm guessing.

Understanding trim settings and learning how to fly a kite while being a complete beginner in general will probably require some patience if you don't have anyone close by. An in expensive trainer like a symphony might be a good introduction to learn the window but you could probably get flying with help on here. You don't want to learn in too light of wind and you don't want to learn in too strong either. I would say shoot for 8-12 winds starting out. Feyd correct me on that if you advise otherwise.
rustvariable2

[*] posted on 5-6-2016 at 01:11 PM

Thanks for the info ssayre.

I have a little time on 2-line kites and lot's of experience windsurfing. I suspect I can figure out the setup of the Rush School kite especially with help from folks here.

I'm still torn between buying a HQ Symphony or putting that money toward a kite I can use for kite skiing if I decide to try that someday.
ssayre

[*] posted on 5-6-2016 at 01:23 PM

I'd go with the depower trainer. You'll learn a lot more and you can always sell it on here if it's not for you. Or get both. I do that sometimes when I can't decide. Symphony is cheap anyways I think
Feyd

[*] posted on 5-6-2016 at 06:40 PM

Ssarye is right about the wind range on this kite. Factory wind range is 5-25MPH but 8-12 is the sweet spot for getting a feel for flying the 300. It terms of how much long term use it will get, like many trainer kites, as you get used to it and find yourself wanting a bigger more powerful wing, the 300 School will get relegated to high wind duty. Which given it's built with the toughness of a trainer I think it will be a great high wind kite.

In regard to being to figure it out without a lesson. Many people are able to get to some level of flying skill on their own. Very few of us are fortunate enough to be able to have access to bonafide instruction and yet it's not a deal breaker as far as learning to fly a kite. But a little instruction goes a long ways and really shortens the time needed to self learn in addition to taking out or minimizing the risk of destroying your kite in the learning process.

The is a wealth of information here on PKF and some very smart and experienced people that are ready and willing to help. You will probably be able to get up and running on your own and our customers can contact us anytime with questions. And we offer an hour of orientation with the purchase of any depower kite so even if we don't see you until winter we are happy to help you out when you can visit us. Even if you are up and flying I would be we can improve upon what you have already learned.

There's some good logic in Ssayre's post. Both kites are great and have their place. The Symphony, although not a traction kite, is a great kite to fly and can still be used to learn the window with minimal risk.

rustvariable2

[*] posted on 5-7-2016 at 02:39 AM

Thanks Feyd. Great info.

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio