Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Born-Kite NS3 Makes for a Great Snowkite Engine
Windstruck

Mood: Get in my buggy!

biggrin.gif posted on 12-22-2015 at 05:13 PM
Born-Kite NS3 Makes for a Great Snowkite Engine

We have had some outstanding snow and wind in the past several days in the Wasatch Mountains near Salt Lake City. Much to my delight I've found that the NS3s make for outstanding Snowkite engines. Their single skin design easily sheds the snow you pile on it and their 3-line simplicity is a real crowd pleaser, making for minimal times I need to take off my gloves to swap kites, unpack, pack, etc. These are probably the last kites you would want for boosting, but for me that is a distinct plus as I don't want to get lifted, rather just pulled along.

Yesterday the wind was howling and I slung the 4m up on 20m lines hooked in. Pulled like a mother. Today the wind was lighter and the snow a lot deeper (up over my knee) and I put the Big Momma up (12.5m!). Wholly mackerel that Lady's got some pull. She sort of makes me nervous as it doesn't take much change in wind speed to get seriously overpowered and I was on the edge a fair bit fully leaned in with both Powder Pigs clawing at the snow.

Man this Snowkiting thing is a little bit of alright! :wee:

Born-Kites:
RaceStar+ (3.0m, 5.0m, 7.0m, 9.0m)
NasaStar-5 (2.5m, 4.0m)
NasaStar-4 (2.5m)
NasaStar-3 (3.2m)

Ozone kites:
Access (6.0m)

Flysurfer Kites:
Peak-5 (2.5m)

Buggy:
Peter Lynn BigFoot+ nose & tail; midsection VTT rail & seat kit; home-brewed AQR

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT0003
lunchbox

Mood: Feeling Lucky...

[*] posted on 12-22-2015 at 08:03 PM

Sweet...never tried snow kiting but it's a bucket list item for sure.

Got any pics to share?

Didn't realize you have the whole range of Nasa Star's. Got the 4 and 7 coming but if I like them, I will probably want something bigger. If that's the case, I'll reach out to you regarding the differences between the 10 and 12.

Flexifoil Blurr 2.5, Ozone Cult 3.5, Nasa Star 3 4.0 Ozone Yakuza 4.0, PL Reactor 4.9, JoJo RM+ 5.0, Ozone Method 5.0, Ozone Yakuza 6.0, Flexifoil Blade IV 6.5, Nasa Star 3 7.0, PL Vapor 7.8, JoJo RX 8.0 (in route), Flexifoil Blade VIP 8.5, PL Vapor 9.4, Ozone Yakuza 10.0, PL Reactor II 10.8, PL Vapor 16.1, PL Venom II 13, PL Charger 15, 19, Flysurfer Unity 12, Flysurfer Pulse 2 14, Flysurfer Speed 2 SA 19, Flysurfer Speed 3 21, MBS Comp 95 landboard, PL Folding buggy, PL XR+ buggy, Slingshot LFT, Lots of surfboards
Windstruck

[*] posted on 12-23-2015 at 01:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lunchbox  
Sweet...never tried snow kiting but it's a bucket list item for sure.

Got any pics to share?

Didn't realize you have the whole range of Nasa Star's. Got the 4 and 7 coming but if I like them, I will probably want something bigger. If that's the case, I'll reach out to you regarding the differences between the 10 and 12.

The 4 and 7 NS3s are a great starter set! ;) By the look of your quiver you too have the tendency to gather some toys about you.

I have found the NS3s to be really pleasing kites. Very predictable in flight, easily controllable, and a nice combination of qualities all around. A great deal of my flying (all the time in the buggy and a blend when I'm snowkiting) is in highly confined spaces with obstacles all around (school soccer fields, athletic facility fields, etc) plus I'm in my mid-50s, so I don't want to be boosted one inch off of the ground. NS3s are great in that regard as they provide almost exclusively pull but not lift. Of course you can get lifted with the right combination of wind, kite size, and pilot error, but with proper sizing and the willingness to pull the plug and get the kite down in a hurry that becomes a pretty rare occasion.

The big drawback of NS3s are their individual versatility. Compared to, say, the Peak-2 DPs you would need to have perhaps three NS3s to cover the same wind range as a single P2. So... lots of FB single skin NPWs in a quiver! I have a range of stuff sacks of incremental sizes all labeled with their kite sizes that I carry around in a single large volume backpack (all nine of them) and use a single adjustable-width bar. Please feel free to reach out about the larger sizes; I believe I may be the only one that comments in the Born-Kite threads here on PK that owns the 12.5. I know Spencer (soliver) recently procured the 10m. Whupp! :karate:

I would suggest perusing our General Born-Kite thread for more information; we hash out all this and more throughout those fine pages! :D

And yes, pics will come by and by. I've got to work out some details to get some varying camera angles in the snow beyond the single helmet cam view.

Born-Kites:
NasaStar-5 (2.5m, 4.0m)
NasaStar-4 (2.5m)
NasaStar-3 (3.2m)

Ozone kites:
Access (6.0m)

Flysurfer Kites:
Peak-5 (2.5m)

Buggy:
Peter Lynn BigFoot+ nose & tail; midsection VTT rail & seat kit; home-brewed AQR

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT0003
Windstruck

[*] posted on 12-23-2015 at 01:46 AM

One additional note is that I actually landed the 12.5m, put it away, and got out the 10.0m. The winds were rising to dangerous levels for the 12.5 and I had to get it down before things got ugly. That is a whole lot of FB to handle in too much wind for its size and I was getting spooked. Had I been on a wide open plane I would likely have kept it in the air and just sped up, but I was on some athletic fields behind our local middle school that have fences, play structures, and a stray parking lot or two next to them that some knuckle heads put in my way (what were they thinking?). The 10.0m worked well but then the wind died down for a spell plus I was running out of time so I pulled the plug after a few laps. Nothing like inland storm driven jank to keep a boy busy! :cool:

Born-Kites:
NasaStar-5 (2.5m, 4.0m)
NasaStar-4 (2.5m)
NasaStar-3 (3.2m)

Ozone kites:
Access (6.0m)

Flysurfer Kites:
Peak-5 (2.5m)

Buggy:

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT0003
Windstruck

[*] posted on 12-23-2015 at 11:18 PM

Had some fun with my NS3s today in the snow. This is my first season snow kiting and I have a lot to get used to. One thing I've found is when the snow is deep and wind blown I need to size up a lot to get the pull I need. I was using a 7m NS3 in hard gusty winds and I probably could have used the 8.5m. In a buggy with BigFoots on grass in the same winds I would probably have been using the 3.2m.

Here is a video highlighting some of today's action. I hope you enjoy it!

Born-Kites:
NasaStar-5 (2.5m, 4.0m)
NasaStar-4 (2.5m)
NasaStar-3 (3.2m)

Ozone kites:
Access (6.0m)

Flysurfer Kites:
Peak-5 (2.5m)

Buggy:

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT0003
ssayre

[*] posted on 12-24-2015 at 05:36 AM

Excellent Steve. I like the credits towards the middle, then showing the wind blowing the snow around when you were packing up. What was the temperature like?
Windstruck

[*] posted on 12-24-2015 at 06:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ssayre  
Excellent Steve. I like the credits towards the middle, then showing the wind blowing the snow around when you were packing up. What was the temperature like?

Thanks Sean! Car thermometer was reading 20 F. Wind chill, who knows. Wild weather yesterday. In the space of two hours we had repeated bouts of pelting snow, gusts, lulls, sun, you name it. The back end footage is actually me putting out my 4m. I added that footage to fill out the song and because it sort of showed it like it is setting up a kite in the deep snow when the wind is howling. I had it in mind originally to launch the 5.5m but once I got things all in place I found that my red-side bridle was all screwed up and it was not going to get fixed in the field (I wasn't about to go to bare skin on my hands which is what it was going to take). The 5.5 is the 1000% sped up action in the beginning. The mistake I made is sizing down instead of up when I couldn't launch the 5.5. The 4m was way underpowered and was what I had up in the air when I was holding the camera on the extension stick in my hand. Got that down in a hurry and got out the 7m. Except for the strongest gusts I really could have skied with the 8.5m.

Still a learning curve for me getting the sizes right for the varying snow conditions. Yesterday we had powder over my knee in places but it was so wind blown that it was compact and provided a lot of resistance to the skis and I needed a lot of kite to really get moving. On those same exact fields in my buggy with those winds I would have had the 3.2m up and gotten one heck of a ride with a lot of side pull.

I ain't complaining, it's all just a fun learning curve! :)

Born-Kites:
NasaStar-5 (2.5m, 4.0m)
NasaStar-4 (2.5m)
NasaStar-3 (3.2m)

Ozone kites:
Access (6.0m)

Flysurfer Kites:
Peak-5 (2.5m)

Buggy:

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT0003
Randy

[*] posted on 12-24-2015 at 08:19 AM

Steve - for the same kite size what takes more wind to get going - buggy or snow ski? Alternatively, for the same amount of wind, what takes a bigger kite? (Academic question, since we seldom get snow in Georgia, and when we do the roads are usually completely backed up with abandoned cars, and wrecks.)

NPW Test Pilot -US99
volock

Mood: Choosing your new depower foil quiver is hard...

[*] posted on 12-24-2015 at 10:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Randy  
Steve - for the same kite size what takes more wind to get going - buggy or snow ski? Alternatively, for the same amount of wind, what takes a bigger kite? (Academic question, since we seldom get snow in Georgia, and when we do the roads are usually completely backed up with abandoned cars, and wrecks.)

Depends a lot on surface for answering that Randy. Dry snow/compacted, skis need a bit less power to get going fast (in my experience), but it's close. You get deep snow, and you need more power than buggy. I say this normally buggying on grass with little experience on other surfaces for the buggy, so take that with a grain of salt.

NAPKA US314 (Pi)

Stunt Kites: GoFlyAKite Parastunter 1.4m | Pacific Quest Mighty Bug 0.5m and 1.0m | Prism Flip Kite
Arcs: Peter Lynn Venom 19m
Depower Foils: Flysurfer Peak 12m, Peter Lynn Lynx (2015) 5m, 9m
FB Foils: HQ Beamer II 3.6m | Ozone LittleDevil 4.5m | Pansh Ace 5m, 7m | PKD Busta Soulfly 1.5m, 2.4m, Brooza II 7.5m | Prism Tensor 5m | Thunderwing Parawings Set
LEIs: Cabrinha Convert SE 9m | Ocean Rodeo Prodigy 14.0m, Razor 12m, Storm 5.0m

Atomic Terrain Park Skis (w AT adapters for the wind dieing), Snowboard, 21" Isvidda Nordic Skates (NNN-BC and NIS bindings depending on the pair),
Badfisher 11' SUP, Ocean Rodeo JT Pro 138cm
Landyachtz DH Race (Bear 852 Trucks), MBS Comp 95X
RB Swindler, Skorpion Skates
Sysmic S2 Dune Midi XL Buggy
skimtwashington

[*] posted on 12-24-2015 at 12:12 PM

It's 68 in Boston now.. headed to 70....Crap! People have their X-mass shorts on.

Ummmm....snow looks good there...

Great for you...sad for me!

How bout any nearby open hills(treeless) to go on? Almost seems I'm looking at some kind of hills/slopes that are pretty white nearby..?

Which takes more wind?

Ice, Hard pack, Bullet proof, Unbreakable crust...you will rocket. Deep snow, wet snow, you will drag. So, yeah..depends.

If you usually have great conditions- cold, dry, deep and loose snows- you will need MORE power mostly....a lot more than a buggy on hard sand, anyway.
Windstruck

[*] posted on 12-24-2015 at 03:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by skimtwashington  

It's 68 in Boston now.. headed to 70....Crap! People have their X-mass shorts on.

Ummmm....snow looks good there...

Great for you...sad for me!

How bout any nearby open hills(treeless) to go on? Almost seems I'm looking at some kind of hills/slopes that are pretty white nearby..?

Which takes more wind?

Ice, Hard pack, Bullet proof, Unbreakable crust...you will rocket. Deep snow, wet snow, you will drag. So, yeah..depends.

If you usually have great conditions- cold, dry, deep and loose snows- you will need MORE power mostly....a lot more than a buggy on hard sand, anyway.

Believe me, I've been looking at all sorts of sites too! We have a huge amount of open space around where I live that is covered with large sagebrush bushes. The snow pack is now plenty deep enough to ride where there is open land with grass or rock/dirt, but not yet deep enough to cover the sage. Once the sage gets covered the options really open up.

Agreed with what has been stated about resistance versus buggy. Deep wind-compacted snow like I was in yesterday takes a lot of kite upsizing compared to buggying on grass with BigFoot tires, really about twice the square footage of a FB kite.

Born-Kites:
NasaStar-5 (2.5m, 4.0m)
NasaStar-4 (2.5m)
NasaStar-3 (3.2m)

Ozone kites:
Access (6.0m)

Flysurfer Kites:
Peak-5 (2.5m)

Buggy:

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT0003
OCFlyer7

[*] posted on 12-24-2015 at 03:36 PM

Sounds great to be able to at least get some snowkiting in. Have you had a chance to check out Strawberry or Skyline yet or other good spots near you? I need to come out to your neck of the woods soon, not much snow here in Orange County.
soliver

Mood: sleepy

[*] posted on 12-24-2015 at 03:50 PM

good stuff Steve!!!

I'm going to take a nap now
Windstruck

[*] posted on 12-24-2015 at 04:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by OCFlyer7  
Sounds great to be able to at least get some snowkiting in. Have you had a chance to check out Strawberry or Skyline yet or other good spots near you? I need to come out to your neck of the woods soon, not much snow here in Orange County.

Not yet, but I'm fixin' to do so sooner than later. A major issue for me is time. My kite endeavors are solo activities and I need to stay balanced with family time. I ski both weekend days with my daughter and bride and the limited snowkiting I've bagged to date have been either after we get home from skiing late in the afternoon or as it was this week when for a few days it was too windy to ski (but perfect for kiting!). Strawberry is over an hour drive away as is Skyline so that would have me gone doing my own thing for a minimum of 4-5 hours. Kind of stuff divorces are made of.... :( What I'm hoping for is about two more feet of base snow that settles in on top of the sagebrush that grows locally. Once that happens there will be spots within 0-15 minutes away to get out in the open. Stuff dreams are made of.

Born-Kites:
NasaStar-5 (2.5m, 4.0m)
NasaStar-4 (2.5m)
NasaStar-3 (3.2m)

Ozone kites:
Access (6.0m)

Flysurfer Kites:
Peak-5 (2.5m)

Buggy:

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT0003
Cheddarhead

[*] posted on 12-24-2015 at 07:00 PM

Thanks for sharing your vid Steve! As your finding out on your own, many different power requirements depending on surface. Deep snow is much like water, lots of power needed to go upwind. Bare ice requires no more than a shopping bag to get speed. Jealous of your snow:P Think I'll get the buggy back out while we wait for snow and ice:D

SS Turbine 17m
SS Rally 14m
SS Rally 12m
SS RPM 10m
SS Rally 8m
SS Rally 6m
FS Speed 3 15m dlx
FS Peak 2 6m
Ozone Frenzy 9m
Ozone Access XT 6m
PL Farc 1200

What I ride:
Home brew buggy
Volkl race tiger DH 210
Dynastar DH 218
Blizzard Cochise 185
Steepwater 179 twin tip
Aboards Reverse 161
Windstruck

[*] posted on 12-24-2015 at 08:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Cheddarhead  
Thanks for sharing your vid Steve! As your finding out on your own, many different power requirements depending on surface. Deep snow is much like water, lots of power needed to go upwind. Bare ice requires no more than a shopping bag to get speed. Jealous of your snow:P Think I'll get the buggy back out while we wait for snow and ice:D

Thanks Cheddar! I feel bad for all you guys in the more Eastern part of the country. Winter so far just isn't for you guys. Hopefully the switch will get thrown and you'll get the cold temps and the snow you deserve. Merry Christmas!

Born-Kites:
NasaStar-5 (2.5m, 4.0m)
NasaStar-4 (2.5m)
NasaStar-3 (3.2m)

Ozone kites:
Access (6.0m)

Flysurfer Kites:
Peak-5 (2.5m)

Buggy:

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT0003

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio