Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: power kites?
Sailin Scooby

Mood: hungry

question.gif posted on 3-2-2004 at 10:50 AM
power kites?

Howdy!
I am new the power kiting sport and I don't know what to start with as far as a power kite is concerned. I have been flying stunt kites for three years and Im comfortable with the dual line flying, but I dont know what the heck to start with. Ive looked around at different power kites such as the 9ft and 12 ft Thunderfoil, the Symphony 2.7, and some of the Firebee products. Im looking for a kite with a strong pull but all of the sites Ive seen say different things about all of these kites. Im looking for something that can pull my 6'7'' 210lb body across a beach or field. Any suggestions would be very helpful. Oh by the way, I am a college student on a college student buget, so I can't really get something in the $200+ range. Thanks in advance.

Sailing Scooby
Scoopy

Mood: Always Good

[*] posted on 3-16-2004 at 07:20 AM

really without going over the $200.00 mark, you are going to have a hard time getting pulled along this side of a gale force wind. I have heard some of the firebees are very good for the money if you fit them with power rings (brake line tensioners) If you are serious about getting into 4 line power, I would save just a bit more and get into a 2.5m flexifoil bullet. I have flown them and for starters, they're not too bad, and still get you into 4 line flying. The only downfall to the bullet is that it doesnt make much lift. to some people, this is good, some bad. It really depends on what you want to do. If all you want is to scudd, then it would be fine. I know its not really much help for staying in a budget, but these things do get pretty expensive. Another option would be a nasawing. Im not really crazy about them (even though I have one) But just to have something to pull you downwind, it will work, and you could probably get into the 6.9meter with lines and handles for somewhere around the $200 mark

Scoop
s0101216

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 3-20-2004 at 09:17 PM

I have read some pretty good reviews about the PKD Buster kites. Apparently much better than the Firebees. They come with lines as well although not great, should be good enough to start with. The 4m is around £150 mark which although is a little over youre budget, I don't think there are any kites out there nearer to it.
Symphonyman

Mood: Gimme Some wind

[*] posted on 3-22-2004 at 01:09 PM

The symphony 2.2 is a good starter kite,it pulls but not as much as something like a pkd buster...which I had my eye on,however,why not try the Symphony 3.3?,ive heard thats quite a good one and gives some real pull....even a symphony 1.8(so small as it is)does pack quite a punch and can really pull in a strong wind,it did with me over Blackheath(Greenwich) last week.....then I gave it to the mrs!:yes:
SparX

[*] posted on 3-23-2004 at 04:22 PM

Im new too ! But just got a Radsail 3.6m2 for £100 had to haggle a bit but got it in the end.. Anyway it has enough pull to propell me the length of a football field in about 3 secs on Sunday , wind was about 20mph though ! Plenty enough for me. :lol:
s0101216

[*] posted on 3-24-2004 at 02:48 PM

Just a note about the symphony kites is that their numbering does not represent their sq. meter size. I own the 3.3 which is if I remeber correctly only 2.4m sq. So if you are comparing kites on this factor just keep it in mind.

I started buggying with it but only use it in stronger winds now, 20mph +. If you are not planning on using it in stronger winds I feel you might want somthing a little bigger.

Symphony do a larger size now, I think it is called a 4.1 or 4.2. I guess that prob. a bit over 3m2, however would push your budget. The Radsail 3.6m2 sounds about right. Don't know too much about them other what I've read in reviews though. Sounds like a reasonable price.

Happy hunting!

Simon:singing:
Symphonyman

Mood: Gimme Some wind

[*] posted on 3-27-2004 at 03:41 AM

I recently went into a shop called`Decathlon`and I bought a`Tribord Xtrem 3.2 metre...and it actually is the size it says on the package....I got it for a knockdown price of £65.00,down from £120...now thats a bargain..I tend to find,like you say,that the Symphony 2.2 really is more effective in a stronger wind,however as I said before,the 1.8 is a real puller and great for agility and stunts...I wanted a bigger kite,thought about the larger Symphony 3.3 but saw this one in the shop and thought got to have it...I don`t know of anyone using a 4.4 yet,that was another of my options or the PKD Buster....Im sure that my collection will build!
Stug

Mood: tired

[*] posted on 5-23-2004 at 11:15 AM
Decathlon

this is a big french manufacturer doing all sports from shooting to snooker

i bought a small kite which was good having 2lines but this was a small one. the biggest they did is actually not enough for the wind that we usually get so i decided to look at radsails (also sold in decthlon but only 2.4sqm) and is perfect for big winds but not enough for every week

currently borrowing radsail 5m off m8 cos i need sum cash for a kite
Radsailer

[*] posted on 6-16-2004 at 02:16 PM

Ive got a 3m Radsail and started with the symphony 2.2(formerly symphonyman....get it?)...:)I bought my Radsail in Decathlon and ive not looked back since,I got pulled across Blackheath last friday several times sliding on my backside in a 15mph wind...;)...reeeeaaal Fun!..Trouble was I had two nice big holes on the backside of my trousers...worth it though...The Radsail is quite manouvorable with twists & turns...Im looking at the pkd Buster to go a little bigger...one step at a time....

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio