Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Learning to Kite Sail
Randy
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 28-4-2015 at 08:14 PM
Learning to Kite Sail

Here's a video showing the challenges of learning to kite sail. Atlanta doesn't have many good venues for buggies, landboards and the like, and with my windsurfing experience my thoughts turned to trying it on the water. kitesurfing is not all that accessible either - only a few difficult launches. So I thought I'd try kite sailing (for lack of a better term.)

I'm using the Pacific Sky Power winder I got via the Kickstart deal. If it works it will open up a lot of venues for me. Used it some at the river 10 minutes from home, which has a unique advantage - current flow opposite the prevailing westerlies, and it has a lot of shallow spots, which may enable launching from the middle of the river when its down. However, the wind is not very clean, but I had some success there last week - and lots of practice launching. Today was my first try at the lake and it was easy to launch, but keeping the kite in the air was a challenge that I did pull half the time. So nowhere to go from here but up!

NPW Test Pilot -US99
1oldkid

Mood: I gotta get me an avatar...

[*] posted on 28-4-2015 at 08:32 PM

Pretty neat Randy!
What kind of board were you on?

Life's too short to be anything but happy!

My stuff:
Flexifoil 1.2m Sting
HQ Symphony 2.2m
Beamer 3.6m
Pro Foil 2.5, 4.5m
JoJo 6m
Montana 7m
Flysurfer 19m Speed 2 SA

Flexi bug
Several pair of kite skis

‘There are two types of education: One should teach us how to make a living, and the other should teach us how to live.’ - John Adams

Randy
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 29-4-2015 at 04:31 AM

Its a windsurfing trainer board. Its fairly short and wide. It has a center fin. Here is a picture of the setup. I made a removable seat for it to make paddling more comfortable. I have 2 other boards I think may be suitable, but I thought this one would be the easiest one to start with.

Snapshot 1 (4-29-2015 7-25 AM).png - 163kB

NPW Test Pilot -US99
PHREERIDER
Posting Freak

Mood: chilled....but ready to SAIL!

[*] posted on 29-4-2015 at 05:30 AM

cool stuff man ...those boards are perfect for that, a little more kite and you'll forget that pole!

TEAM RIDER for Coastal Wind Sports

http://www.coastalwindsports.com/

VIDEOS for your entertainment while you wait.

http://vimeo.com/user4948152/videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/goldendmd?feature=mhsn
bobalooie57
Posting Freak

Mood: Windy

[*] posted on 29-4-2015 at 05:32 AM

That looked like fun! You need to get one of those Hydra trainers or something similar, so you can relaunch from the water. I always wondered, but never tried this, if you were to somehow stitch a short roll of that foam pipe insulation behind the nose darts of a NPW, if it would float the nose enough to make it relaunchable. I know without something, the NPW becomes a good sea anchor on it's own. Once out of the water, though, they relaunch and 'air' dry quite quickly.

Team MEAN GREEN

Bob Lussier

OUTLAW KITER
1.4M Beamer III, 2M Beamer IV,2M Toxic HQ , 7.5MApex III, HQ, Quadrifoil XXXL (9.66M), NPW5 2.4,4.8m, NPW9 3.4M(HQ),NPW9 7M (RASTA\'S FURY), NPW9 7.6M (BIG SISTAH),NPW9 12MGREENMONSTER(km4), P L Comp ST buggy,PL Bigfoot+ buggy, Atomic Alibi Snowboard, Protec Knee/Elbow Pads & Helmet, Seirus wristguards, Demon crash shorts, LaCross chest/shoulder pads. (tryin\' to be safe!)
soliver
Posting Freak

Mood: sleepy

[*] posted on 29-4-2015 at 05:48 AM

Great fun Randy... you on Lanier?... I was thinking the same thing as Bobalooie about an HQ Hydra!... I've seen (youtube) someone use one on a very similar reel with a kayak. Kite-yak I believe they called it.

I have a small 1 man Canoe I've thought about outfitting with a foot-steerable skeg to try the same thing with. But I'm pretty sure I'll never get around to it.

I'm going to take a nap now
soliver
Posting Freak

Mood: sleepy

[*] posted on 29-4-2015 at 06:52 AM

This one:

I'm going to take a nap now
1oldkid

Mood: I gotta get me an avatar...

[*] posted on 29-4-2015 at 07:10 AM

Interesting!
I might have to try that with my yak.
I'd prolly end up with a 5 mile into the wind paddle back to the car though....:barf:

Life's too short to be anything but happy!

My stuff:
Flexifoil 1.2m Sting
HQ Symphony 2.2m
Beamer 3.6m
Pro Foil 2.5, 4.5m
JoJo 6m
Montana 7m
Flysurfer 19m Speed 2 SA

Flexi bug
Several pair of kite skis

‘There are two types of education: One should teach us how to make a living, and the other should teach us how to live.’ - John Adams

Randy
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 29-4-2015 at 09:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by soliver  
Great fun Randy... you on Lanier?... I was thinking the same thing as Bobalooie about an HQ Hydra!... I've seen (youtube) someone use one on a very similar reel with a kayak. Kite-yak I believe they called it.

I have a small 1 man Canoe I've thought about outfitting with a foot-steerable skeg to try the same thing with. But I'm pretty sure I'll never get around to it.

The kite winder is the same thing - I got it from the guy in the youtube - it was a Kickstarter deal. I actually do have a HQ Hyda 350, but I'm afraid its too big (3.5 meter). He's using a 300, which is only 2.6 M. He has stated the bar is 3m or less. Even if the bar could work - its 2 line and I think that would be pretty sketchy with the bigger hydra. So I did post in classified a trade 350 for 300 but no takers yet. In any case, what I've learned so far is that the bigger the kite is the harder the launch and size can be counter-productive - your forward motion reduces the apparent wind the wind and the kite falls out of the sky. I think with practice I can manage that and move up to a bigger kite. I may end up getting the Hydro 300 though.

It was shot at Lake Lanier right from where I do the landboarding. I've also been launching from the Chattahoochee - which is nice for downwinders, since the current goes opposite the wind making it easier to get back up wind.

NPW Test Pilot -US99
abkayak
Posting Freak

Mood: loving life and becoming wise in simplicity

[*] posted on 29-4-2015 at 08:10 PM

I had a lot of luck in my boat w/ a two line 3m foil on a bar..no dropping it in the water had to keep it high all time w/ that fig 8 going on lot of flying..switched to a panash atom on handles but the 2line worked better

US-31...Cquad set/ 2.5 Bullet/ 2.6 Viper/ 2.9m Reactor/ 2- 3.5m Bullet/ 3.6 Beamer/ 4m Buster/ 4m Toxic/ 4m Ikon dp/ 4.5 Bullet/ 4.9m Blade/ 5.6 Twister/ 6.6m Blade/ 7.5 Apex/ 9m Fuel/ Phantom I 9,12,15,18/ 2 Flexibugs/ PL Big Foot/ landboards
Randy
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 30-4-2015 at 04:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by abkayak  
I had a lot of luck in my boat w/ a two line 3m foil on a bar..no dropping it in the water had to keep it high all time w/ that fig 8 going on lot of flying..switched to a panash atom on handles but the 2line worked better

Yeah - got to stay high all the time. (Maybe I should write a song about that.) I can still use the 3.5 HQ when I launch from land, but it limits the numbers of venues I can use (there are a couple that work some of the time for that.) Using quad handles does seem like a bigger challenge than a bar. Anyway - I'm working on progressing my skills.

NPW Test Pilot -US99

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio