Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Hardwater Kiting Long Term Review 2015 Ozone Access
Feyd

[*] posted on 4-27-2015 at 10:16 AM
Hardwater Kiting Long Term Review 2015 Ozone Access

"The Access is Ozone’s entry level De-power foil kite that has been designed to make the learning process of Snow kiting as safe and easy as possible."
-Ozone Kites

This is in our opinion the understatement of the year. We don't deny the accuracy of it but really it doesn't do the 2015 Ozone Access series of kites justice.

Details:•Kite: 2015 Ozone Access
•Size Range: 4,6,8,10,12
•Target User: Beginner-Intermediate
•Test/Demo Duration: 4 Months (+)
•Surface: 1m Powder-Bare Lake Ice
•Tester Skill: Novice to Expert
•Winds: 8kts-40kts

About the Access When HARDWATER KITING picked up Ozone we did so as an effort to expand the offerings of kites for our students and clients. Ozone has a long history both globally and locally in the snow kite game an it's difficult to find a snow kiter who has been riding the last decade who didn't own at least one Ozone snow kite at some point. Most of us got our starts on the venerable Frenzy series back in 2004. Honestly we didn't have a lot of personal interest in the brand after nearly a decade of drifting away from the Ozone locally and seeing it replaced by other offerings. Offerings that were either more affordable or better suited for riding in our generally tough conditions.

That changed last season when we brought in some of the 2014 line as demo kites. We were thoroughly impressed with how far they had come. Especially kites like the Access and the Summit. We weren't to excited about the 2014 Frenzy and given that it has been completely redesigned for the 2015 season we can only assume Ozone felt the same.

This season we purchase 2 kite quivers to be used for teaching/demo kites. In 2014 Access proved to be an excellent kite. We found it performed better than the kites were were using at the time for teaching. For 2015 we decided that we would use the Ozone Access as our moderate to high wind school kite quiver. In discussions with Ozone we found the 2015 was identical to the 2014 but with the new Re-Ride safety system.

In our normally gusty conditions choosing the right kite for our students is critical in ensuring they feel safe and confident which is key to their success in learning. If you aren't comfortable and feel as though the kite is trying to beat you up, learning to fly will be stressful and not much fun.

The 2015 Ozone Access eliminates the uneasiness that some people feel the first time the fly a kite. It truly is an awesome beginner kite as Ozone states. But really in terms of versatility and usefulness the 2015 Ozone Access is really so much more.

Obviously the 2015 Access is being marketed towards beginner riders. And without a doubt it is a top level kite for beginners. Ozone has a reputation for making top quality kites and even as a beginner kite the Access is still a premium wing with the same attention to detail that "higher" end offerings tend to get.

And although it is being marketed as a beginner wing it really has a much farther reaching range of use.

The 2015 Ozone Access is an unbelievable high wind kite. As with most kites the factory spec'd wind ranges on the Access are pretty conservative. The low end wind ranges tend to be fairly accurate with the Access but the high wind ranges are a bit higher than spec'd if flown by a pilot with experience. We have flown these kites in gusts up to 45kts and the Access not only allowed us to to this with a feeling of security but also enjoyment.

The Access will change the way you look at high winds. It is remarkable how the kite handles gusting and how stable it is. To the point where as an experienced rider I initially found myself doubting my senses. The first time we did a high wind test session on the Access we were riding in winds blowing 30kts gusting to 45kts. When we arrived to the riding site all the information being fed to me by my eyes, ears and wind meter, told me we were going to be working hard today. Looking into a haze of snow being torn from a lake's surface and throw 25 feet into the air usually causes me to a little hesitation. But when we got into it, on the the Access, I comfortable as I would cruising in 15kts.

In fact I started to doubt my senses.

The lack of abuse I was experiencing, the smoothness in the wing and the fact that I was on a 6m without any need to trim, really made me second guess what I was hearing and seeing. I only became aware of how well the kite was working when another kiter asked me what kite I was on. He asked because he was getting the hell beat out of himself on a 4m while I was riding effortlessly. At that point I gave him the 6m and switched UP the the 8m. Again in winds gusting over 40kts. I had to trim the 8m by about 3 inches to be really comfortable. After the other kiter rode the Access for a while he decided there was nothing in his quiver that could do what this kite does and purchased one from hardwaterkiter.com.

It was an enlightening experience. In conditions that I would normally shy away from bridled kites and resort back to my Peter Lynn Arc flying the Access proved to be more than suitable. Add the safety and effectiveness of the Re-Ride system and you have an amazingly safe and easy kite to fly.

I know. "Amazingly safe and easy" isn't really the description that elicits feelings of excitement in kite terms. The Access isn't a lifty freestyle hucking machine. In situations where you want to fly an Access you don't want a freestyle kite. It's a "beginner kite" or more accurately we like to label as a "Touring" kite. Even the original Access was in kind of that same vein. Thus the name "Access". A kite designed for touring the back country just so happens to usually be good for beginners and for teaching. Low aspect ratio, easy to fly, low lift make it a winner in both categories.

Characteristics:

Handling : The 2015 Ozone Access is a surprisingly nimble kite. The turn rate is excellent and can be enhanced considerably with over bar steering. The size with the broadest usable range for most riders seemed to be the 6m. We feel it's the "sweet spot" in the size range as it has an unbelievable high end wind range but a good lower end range in non-deep snow conditions. As a school we really only use the 4m for high wind/small student situations. The wind conditions that would warrant use of the 4m for a rider like myself in the 200+ pound range are relatively rare and usually not much fun to fly in. Much like an 18m Ozone Chrono or 21m Flysurfer will ensure a few solitary session in light winds, the 4m and 6m do the same for high wind days. The 8m is a great all round kite and a good moderate high wind (25kt+) for heavier riders (180lbs)+. Although it has much of the depower and gust handling of the smaller kites it can still generate some lift if put in the right place. Intentionally or unintentionally. The 10m is a solid powerhouse. It will get you moving on smooth, firm surfaces in 7kts and is still fun up to 20kts. We haven't flown the 12m. We can only suspect that the 12m follows suit with it's smaller siblings but works as a better option for heavier riders in average to moderate low winds. Given the kite's nature and it's being made of standard material it is not a true light wind kite.

Safety Systems : for 2015 the Ozone Snowkite Series received the new Re-Ride system. This is a purpose built depower specific to Ozone snowkites and found on all models but the Chrono. It consists of a 5th line actuated bridle assembly cunningly place inside the kite! When the safety system is activated the 5th line will draw on the internal bridle and cause the kite to fold up a bit like an accordion for lack of a better description. Essentially the kite balls up and falls from the sky. This system works great as a safety system but it also works well as a method for landing and relaunching.

For example the Re-Ride system reduces or eliminates our need for ice screws.

Our normal landing procedure is as follows...
1. Depower the kite.
2. Set an ice screw.
3. Anchor depower line/brakes to ice screw.
4. Secure/pack kite at end of lines.
5. Wind your lines.
6. Pull ice screw.

With the Re-Ride system we do this...
1. Activate Re-Ride system.
2. Wind lines. This winds the lines but also BRINGS THE KITE TO YOU. No need to secure the wing. (Something you should NEVER DO with a non Re-Ride equipped kite)
3. Pack the kite.

The ability to do this shortens launch and pack down times to just under 3 minutes without rushing.
When we first saw the video of the Re-Ride system in action we were skeptical as what is often claimed to work doesn't work well in our shifty and gusty conditions.

The Re-Ride however has been phenomenal and we are true believers in it now. The only snow kite that doesn't come with a Re-Ride is the Chrono. As it's a closed cell for use on water as well as land having a couple of mid-wing holes probably isn't the best option.

If you don't want to use the Re-Ride to land the kite the Access still has a brake handle which attaches to both back lines and allows you to stall land the kite the same way we have been since 2004. Note: this is the same handle used to reverse launch the wing.

Build Quality : Maintaining Ozone's reputation for offering premium products the Access is built on par with the "higher" end offerings. The kite is made to be durable and is smartly designed. For example Ozone has implemented internal cross bracing in this kite which drastically lowers the number of bridles required. This reduces the parasitic drag as well as the risk of tangles. The Access has blow out valves that will reduce the risk of over pressuring and blowing out cells in a leading edge down crash. This is a great feature while learning as well as for advance riders in high winds who maybe make a mistake and whip the kite in. There are other brands that offer kites that may fall into the same category and use as the Ozone Access for less money. But the resale value and longevity of Ozone at just a couple of hundred more is well worth it down the road.

The bar system is comfortable to use with or without gloves. Occasionally the 5th line will get tangled on the flag out ball and is sometimes difficult to untangle. This isn't specific to this kite or to Ozone mind you. This is a common problem at one time or another with most 5th line kites which is why we really like front line flag out systems over 5th lines. But as the 5th line actuates the Re-Ride and does it cleanly 99% of the time we are willing to live with it.

The packs that come with the kite are very basic but seem durable. After a season of getting kicked around in the van, in the kite sled and on our backs they have held up flawlessly. They have enough room in them for a couple of kites as well as extra food/water and clothing.

Bottom Line: For beginner kiters the 2015 Ozone Access will allow you to grow as a kiter but you will never out grow the kite as it will transition from your learning kite to your high wind weapon of choice.

For expert fliers, over the years there have been a lot of kites that local riders have adopted for use in high winds. After flying the 2015 Access almost all the other kites seem like more work than they are worth in high winds. And much like a kite like a 18m Ozone Chrono will add to the number of light wind days you get in a season, a 4 or 6m Access will do the same at the other end of the spectrum.

Kite design and performance has really improved over the last few years and a thoughtfully chosen quiver of kites will ensure that you are unlikely to miss a snow kite session these days. Whether a beginning kiter or expert the Access is an excellent choice for your quiver.

Chris Krug-Owner @ Hardwater Kiting. Authorized Dealer of Ozone, Flysurfer, HQ kites.
www.hardwaterkiter.com 603-986-2784
robinsonpr

[*] posted on 4-27-2015 at 11:36 AM

Thanks Feyd, great review! I really fancy the 6m Access as I don't really have a depower kite for higher winds.

Just one thing on this comment you made:

Quote:

In conditions that I would normally shy away from bridled kites and resort back to my Peter Lynn Arc flying the Access proved to be more than suitable

Do you mean that the arcs are inherently better in these types of conditions because of the lack of bridles?

I have now been flying my arcs a few times with great results and I have finally got the ground handling and launching/landing sorted out. I WAS considering a smaller arc for higher winds. And a smaller used arc (maybe a 10m Venom?) would be a fraction of the price of a 2015 Access. Maybe $200 for a used arc against over $1000 for an Access.

I'm guessing that handling an arc in higher winds, even a smaller one, might be a handful. And potential to get lofted. Not that an Access *couldn't* loft me or yard me, but I imagine it's easier to handle, particularly with the setup and packdown using the re-ride.

Is it a no-brainer in favour of the Access?

Rev 1.5 SLE
PL Pepper 1.5m, Twister III 3m
Flysurfer Peak I 6m, Peak II 12m
Ozone Access V6 6m, 4m incoming!
Arcs Venom 13m, Synergy 15m
LEIs Slingshot Rally 7m, 9, 12m
Kheo Flyer Landboard
PTW SuperBug II
Nobile NHP Carbon Split
Suds after thuds

Mood: island time

[*] posted on 4-27-2015 at 03:04 PM

I enjoyed the detailed read and got an itch for a 6m kite.

Scout II 4m
Montana VI 9.5m
Matrix 15m
F-arcs 1200 & 1600
Pulse 13m
Ozone Reo 8m
LF Envy 12m

Ground Industries Patrol 106
12.5" DOOM wheels
Crazyfly Shox 136 x42
North Nugget TT 5'2"
kiteballoon

Mood: The desert calls to me. NABX <3

[*] posted on 4-27-2015 at 06:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by robinsonpr  
Thanks Feyd, great review! I really fancy the 6m Access as I don't really have a depower kite for higher winds.

Just one thing on this comment you made:

Quote:

In conditions that I would normally shy away from bridled kites and resort back to my Peter Lynn Arc flying the Access proved to be more than suitable

Do you mean that the arcs are inherently better in these types of conditions because of the lack of bridles?

I have now been flying my arcs a few times with great results and I have finally got the ground handling and launching/landing sorted out. I WAS considering a smaller arc for higher winds. And a smaller used arc (maybe a 10m Venom?) would be a fraction of the price of a 2015 Access. Maybe $200 for a used arc against over $1000 for an Access.

I'm guessing that handling an arc in higher winds, even a smaller one, might be a handful. And potential to get lofted. Not that an Access *couldn't* loft me or yard me, but I imagine it's easier to handle, particularly with the setup and packdown using the re-ride.

Is it a no-brainer in favour of the Access?

Feyd, another amazing review. I always get lovely mental pictures of your exploits and a desire to try the kite you describe.

I've had some wonderful and safe high wind sessions on my smaller ch2's. They have made me double-take much in the same way as you describe in your story about flying the 6m access in high wind. As the conditions got worse, I would grow more cautious, while the kite continued to safely deliver. A kite that behaves the same in 15 kts and 30 kts is a lovely thing!

So being an arc flyer, I'll second my desire to hear about how you feel these compare.

Currently enjoying a Charger 2 quiver
6.5, 8M, 10M, 12M <3
PL XR+ Buggy
Feyd

[*] posted on 4-28-2015 at 05:09 AM

Thanks guys.

In answer to Robins' question, yes if you are looking more for a forgiving and safe kite in high winds (especially for less experienced kiters) the Access at this point would be my choice.

Now to be clear, I still think Arcs are the benchmark for gust handling. In the really nasty conditions the lack of bridling and flex in the wing offers some serious gust handling "suspension" and makes things smoother in the nasty. Over the years however bridled foils have progressed and have gotten very close to the gust handling ability of the Arcs. Some do it automatically to a point, like the Access while others, like Peaks, require more effort on the pilot's part to dump the excess power in a gust that the wing can't manage itself. Which really is not uncommon with a lot of kites including Arcs.

So you have a kite that is almost as good as an Arc for gust handling. Then take into account the ease of set up and pack down, the Re-Ride and the lack of lift and the Access comes out ahead for most people as a high wind kite.

The problem with smaller Arcs is as you have already figured out is they act very much the same as large arcs. Just a lot faster. Apart from an 8m Venom or small Vortex most small arcs tend to get too zippy in high winds for some people. And if you do make a mistake, say get too close to something and suddenly have to redirect overhead, Arcs will still generate enough lift to loft you where the Access, especially the 6 or 4m, simply don't seem to do that until you start getting into the 40kt range and even then its minimal. However the Access isn't fool proof. The 8m, in that same situation, can loft you a small amount.

We're really fortunate to have the opportunity to use and sell the kites that we do. Nobody, it seems is making a "bad" kite these days and there are kites out there for every taste. Basically it comes down to what you want/need from your kite.

I've been kiting now for 14yrs. 3yrs into my kiting I started flying arcs and never looked back. Last season was the first year, the year that the new Access and the FS Peak came to market and suddenly we had new kites that to our surprise offered the flight quality we loved the Arcs for but without having to deal with spars and inflation. I only rode an Arc once last season. My 8m Charger and it was only for a speed session at the end of the season. This year we were too busy and when I finally got some free time speed conditions never really came into play. So this year was the first in the last decade where I didn't fly an Arc once. :(

For our region, for general flying, these newer kites are simply easier and nearly as good or better in many ways. Arcs as a design are amazing and were so far ahead of the curve but these other kites are catching up. The F-Arc/Chrono for example. I love the F-Arc 1200. LOVE IT!!! Personality wise we are a perfect fit. But the Chrono has pretty much replaced the F-Arc in my choice for just all round hauling a$$, go dang near straight upwind, boost to the moon kind of kite. The Chrono just feels like "home" to me. Everything I learned about flying the F-Arc has enabled me to fly the Chrono in situations that I never would have thought the Chrono would be good in. But it also helps that the Chrono, though not as good at gust management as the F-Arc, is still pretty close but with the added benefit of a ton of depow compared to the F-Arc and the ability to go downwind almost as well as it goes upwind.

That was a bit of a tangent.

Long story short. Arcs are awesome kites. From a versatility POV they are hard to beat and only get beaten in the low wind category. Though we've seen even then, the right arc in the right hands can get the job done. But my feeling is that for a lot of kiters looking to just throw a kite up and ride, there are more user friendly options.

This all said, Arcs will likely continue to be my choice for speed.

Chris Krug-Owner @ Hardwater Kiting. Authorized Dealer of Ozone, Flysurfer, HQ kites.
kiteballoon

Mood: The desert calls to me. NABX <3

[*] posted on 4-28-2015 at 01:17 PM

Feyd, at some point in my life I'll need to do 2 things.

1) Snowkite
2) Fly some new ozone kites (access and chrono)

I have you to thank for the latter :-)

Further questions on the access. How much steering input is required to hold a line and keep the kite stable? Flying the peak 2 felt like it wanted a lot of steering input in comparison to what I'm used to. How does this rate? How about bar pressure? Is the power smooth and long, or is it a bit more of an on/off type thing?

The re-ride system sounds interesting! If I bumble and tangle things, am I in for some pain to straighten it out, or I am saved from additional tangle complexity by the addition of the re-ride system?

Currently enjoying a Charger 2 quiver
6.5, 8M, 10M, 12M <3
PL XR+ Buggy
early bird2

[*] posted on 11-10-2015 at 04:08 PM

Very good review , Thanks.

It would be interesting to see a self landing with the re ride system on video in strong Wind , As well as the chronos.....

Every videos from Ozone showing their security systems are taped in light winds .

Ozonessssss Ozonessssss
Feyd

[*] posted on 11-10-2015 at 04:40 PM

We may have some footage from the day we did side by side testing with the Peak 2 4m. Let me see if I can track something down.:D

when you say Chrono, what specifically would you like to see? If you want to see the how the Re-Ride works in the Chrono, it doesn't. Closed cell. ;)

Feyd

[*] posted on 11-10-2015 at 04:46 PM

Kiteballoon, The Access requires considerably less steering input than the Peak and offers lighter bar pressure as well. Power delivery is very smooth and only as abrupt as you want to make it. At the same time, you throw the bar out and it dumps power like crazy. In addition the Access flies very well when trimmed which is nice. Steering response is relatively zippy while trimmed.

The Re-ride system is pretty much fool proof and super handy.

early bird2

[*] posted on 11-10-2015 at 07:16 PM

Feyd , about the Chrono , I meant self landing in strong Wind , to see how the security works. I just bought a 9 meters , I have not self land it in strong Wind yet , I know it will happen sooner or later . On the water it should not be a problem but on the snow ?

Ozonessssss Ozonessssss
John Holgate

Mood: Cruising...

[*] posted on 11-10-2015 at 11:32 PM

GReat review, Chris. My 4m Access XT is a 2010 model and the 6m XC that I had was a 2008. Are you able to make any comparisons about the performance of the 2015 models compared to 5 years ago?

Libre Vmax, Alloy Vermin buggy.
Ozone Access/Method/Riot/Imps/
Born-Kite Nasa Star 2's & 3. Born-Kite Long Star 3,5,7m. Peak 2 6m.
My Music is available here: http://www.soundclick.com/members/default.cfm?member=jbholga...
And here: http://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/JohnHolgate
YouTube vids here: http://www.youtube.com/user/quedecree?feature=mhee
Feyd

[*] posted on 11-11-2015 at 05:26 AM

Thanks John. Think Access XT but even more stable and predictable. Especially at the edge of the window even in fluky winds. Better depower and better handling when depowered. Like a lot of these kites now they have near LEI performance in terms of depower and edge stability. I can't say enough how much I've come to love the Access. For teaching in our gusty winds it has made my life much less stressful and for riding on nukin' days I find myself in unconcerned about 40kt gusts when I have a 4m to fly. And if the wife wants to ride I can still go to the 6m and trim a little and be happy as hell.

The 6m is my favorite.:D

Another difference between the older and 2013+ models is how small they compact. Without having an older one to compare side by side I can't figure out exactly why or how but the current access really packs down small for a non-UL dual skin kite. You can easily fit 2 maybe 3 wings in a given bag.

Early Bird. The 9m is probably my favorite size. Tons of power, broadest wind range IMO. Once you really get a feel for flying it.

Landing in higher winds, 25 knt+ on the Chrono 9m can be done with the stall handle but it takes some muscle. Using the FLS is an easier option but one I rarely use. I usually just grab the stall handle yard it in and let myself drift downwind about 3m as the kite stalls. A lot less muscle required. But in general I don't find the 9m any harder to bring down in that wind range than any other 8-10m kites.

The new V2 is much more user friendly in all aspects, including landing. I wouldn't be too concerned. Just practice in moderate winds and get the muscle memory dialed. Once you get comfortable with it you'll be amazed what you'll fly that 9m in.:DD

You'll hardly touch your Mantas.

early bird2

[*] posted on 11-11-2015 at 06:38 AM

Feyd , I appreciate your tips very much , we never know to much .

I bought this Chrono with the idea of departing with my mantas later , this is going to be tough , they behave so nicely.

Also , I'm on my way to switch my Flows for the new access and wanted to be certain the security system would work in high winds . I did some research and could not find any self landing in strong winds on a video , new access or a Chrono v2 . With air stuck in the Chrono it could be hairy compared to an open rams.

I've been kite skiing for over 14 years now and I know very well bad things could and will happen once in a while when stongs gusts start to hit . And then you are so happy when you can put your hands and knees onto this flapping kite ...;)

Ozonessssss Ozonessssss
ssayre

[*] posted on 11-11-2015 at 07:28 AM

new access looks flippin awesome. would love to try one
Feyd

[*] posted on 11-11-2015 at 08:04 AM

Early, i hear you and totally understand. You're right there is some added headache when it comes to landing closed cells vs. open cells but at the same time there is some, for lack of a better term, predictability with closed cells that open cells lack. I'm trying to think of how best to quantify it. I think once you get used to it you will find it pretty sweet. And though I agree, the Manta is a great kite, the Chrono v.2 IMO is a hell of a lot more fun.:D

I'll see if I can track down some of that footage...

ssayre

[*] posted on 11-11-2015 at 08:34 AM

I must be in the wrong place, is this a chrono thread or an access thread? :P
Feyd

[*] posted on 11-11-2015 at 08:37 AM

I lost track for a second there...
;)

Windstruck

Mood: Get in my buggy!

[*] posted on 11-11-2015 at 01:29 PM

All this great re-ride and 6m Access worship took me over the edge and I just secured one from Chris earlier today. :cool:

I love the idea of having a safe, reliable and steady flying option for high wind days for Snowkiting this winter. This will be my first winter for kiting after spending the past six months or so buggying to my heart's content. I have greatly enjoyed my 4m Peak-2 and 2.5m NS3 for days with BIG wind, but face it, they move around like scalded cats and can be quite a handful (at least for me) to handle during take off and landing, not to mention darting all over the place in the sky.

I'm a decent kiter at this point and a strong skier, but I'm a complete newbie when it comes to Snowkiting. I am liking the idea of having a "beginner" kite for high winds. A man's got to know his limitations. :D

Born-Kites:
RaceStar+ (3.0m, 5.0m, 7.0m, 9.0m)
NasaStar-5 (2.5m, 4.0m)
NasaStar-4 (2.5m)
NasaStar-3 (3.2m)

Ozone kites:
Access (6.0m)

Flysurfer Kites:
Peak-5 (2.5m)

Buggy:
Peter Lynn BigFoot+ nose & tail; midsection VTT rail & seat kit; home-brewed AQR

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT0003
robinsonpr

[*] posted on 11-11-2015 at 02:53 PM

Congrats Steve!!!! I got a 6m Access as my higher wind kite a while back, after realising the 6m Peak gets a bit of a handful for me over 20mph. I've not had the Access out in nuking winds, but I did have it in 25-30mph and it was very well behaved.

Got some nuclear winds forecast this weekend, 40mph area. My friend who has been buggying a lot longer than me and has a full quiver of (older) Access's has recommended I don't go out with the 6m Access, and that only a 4m would suffice for those winds. I made a joke about trying the 6m trimmed right in (max depower) but he really says I need a 4m.

Any comments from those with experience of the newer Access in high winds? My 6m is a 2015 I think. It's definitely not the new "V6" but it does have the internal re-ride. And it's orange. Is that the same kite as the V6?

Here's another question...I already have the 6m complete. The dealer here in the UK has the V6 available as complete OR kite only. The 4m kite only is HALF THE PRICE of the complete option.

So....could I use the bar and lines from my 6m on the 4m? Or is the setup slightly different? Narrower bar?

Steve is your sig soon going to read Access (complete quiver)!?!!?

Rev 1.5 SLE
Kheo Flyer Landboard
PTW SuperBug II
Nobile NHP Carbon Split
ssayre

[*] posted on 11-11-2015 at 02:54 PM

I live through you Steve. Yet another kite high on my wish list. We seem to have similar tastes. :thumbup:
Windstruck

[*] posted on 11-11-2015 at 03:03 PM

Steve is your sig soon going to read Access (complete quiver)!?!!?

Robin, what on earth gave you that idea? Honestly, I don't know where you're coming from with a comment like that. :lol:

Quote: Originally posted by ssayre  
I live through you Steve. Yet another kite high on my wish list. We seem to have similar tastes. :thumbup:

Sean, now that is just outright scary. Do you want to live through my arthritis pain and orthopedic surgeries too, or are you being a "cafeteria projectionist"? :lol:

Born-Kites:
NasaStar-5 (2.5m, 4.0m)
NasaStar-4 (2.5m)
NasaStar-3 (3.2m)

Ozone kites:
Access (6.0m)

Flysurfer Kites:
Peak-5 (2.5m)

Buggy:
Peter Lynn BigFoot+ nose & tail; midsection VTT rail & seat kit; home-brewed AQR

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT0003
ssayre

[*] posted on 11-11-2015 at 03:05 PM

If that gets me a 6m access and a 12m peak than yes:)
Windstruck

[*] posted on 11-11-2015 at 03:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ssayre  
If that gets me a 6m access and a 12m peak then yes:)

:roll::bouncing::bouncy:

:moon:

Born-Kites:
NasaStar-5 (2.5m, 4.0m)
NasaStar-4 (2.5m)
NasaStar-3 (3.2m)

Ozone kites:
Access (6.0m)

Flysurfer Kites:
Peak-5 (2.5m)

Buggy:

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT0003
Windstruck

[*] posted on 11-11-2015 at 04:05 PM

So....could I use the bar and lines from my 6m on the 4m? Or is the setup slightly different? Narrower bar?

Robin - check out the table on wind speed and bar size. Same 45 cm bar for both 4m and 6m.

Wind speed and bar size

Born-Kites:
NasaStar-5 (2.5m, 4.0m)
NasaStar-4 (2.5m)
NasaStar-3 (3.2m)

Ozone kites:
Access (6.0m)

Flysurfer Kites:
Peak-5 (2.5m)

Buggy:

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT0003
robinsonpr

[*] posted on 11-11-2015 at 04:08 PM

Ooooo yes! I might just pick up the 4m sail!

Hopefully the bar and lines are the same from the 2015-2016 model. I do have the 're-ride internal thing.

Thanks Steve!

Rev 1.5 SLE
Kheo Flyer Landboard
PTW SuperBug II
Nobile NHP Carbon Split
Windstruck

[*] posted on 11-11-2015 at 04:43 PM

Hopefully the bar and lines are the same from the 2015-2016 model.

Sounds like a dandy question for the dealer you will be buying that little bugger from. :saint:

Born-Kites:
NasaStar-5 (2.5m, 4.0m)
NasaStar-4 (2.5m)
NasaStar-3 (3.2m)

Ozone kites:
Access (6.0m)

Flysurfer Kites:
Peak-5 (2.5m)

Buggy:

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT0003
windrider1

[*] posted on 11-12-2015 at 08:07 AM

so where is the unedited video ummm / evidence of the peak 2 4 M in 40knt winds ? would love to see how well behaved this kite is. I heard otherwise.

MY KITES
nano- 0.5m - high wind kite
mega-2.2m- low wind kite
ssayre

[*] posted on 11-12-2015 at 09:08 AM

Steve, your addition of the access makes me the only one I can think of with exclusively single skin. Maybe Randy has all single skin?
ssayre

[*] posted on 11-12-2015 at 09:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by windrider1  
so where is the unedited video ummm / evidence of the peak 2 4 M in 40knt winds ? would love to see how well behaved this kite is. I heard otherwise.

Who are your referring to?? It wouldn't be feyd would it? I honestly can't remember if he has made that claim but if he did, he certainly doesn't have to provide video evidence of any claim he has made on any gear. His track record and all his previous reviews and videos speak for themselves. On top of that, his comprehensive reviews on gear and the shear number of different kites he's reviewed is evidence enough that they are non biased. Just my 2 cents, if it was in his review your referring to. Again, don't know for sure, but I was just guessing and I didn't re-read the thread to find out.
Windstruck

[*] posted on 11-12-2015 at 04:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by windrider1  

So, I suspect that comments about the action and control of the 4m P2 comes from the following review by Chris (fewd):

http://www.hardwaterkiter.com/kite-and-gear-reviews/2015-ozo...

Careful reading of this review will actually leave the reader likely concluding that the Ozone Access gets the nod, something pretty well reinforced in a more complete review of the Access found here:

http://www.hardwaterkiter.com/kite-and-gear-reviews/ozone-ac...

As the current owner of the actual 4m P2 used in the high wind test I can vouch for its nice handling in winds up to about 30+ mph gusts when rode in a buggy. You can judge for yourself by watching this video here, taken on the very first day I ever flew the kite:

http://youtu.be/d_HY_ZGkBrY

This is my first year flying traction kites as motive power for buggies, etc. I suspect somebody as experienced and skilled as Chris (in his 14th year kiting I believe) would handle this kite far better than me, but I did alright. 40 knots would be a handful I'd think for any kite, certainly in my hands.

I actually just bought a 6m Access from Chris this week so I should be able to compare the two as well.

I realize you are just throwing a couple of sentences into the thread, but I'd second what Sean said about Chris being one of our best sources for information on this forum.

Born-Kites:
NasaStar-5 (2.5m, 4.0m)
NasaStar-4 (2.5m)
NasaStar-3 (3.2m)

Ozone kites:
Access (6.0m)

Flysurfer Kites:
Peak-5 (2.5m)

Buggy:

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT0003
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio