Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Flying a Peter Linn Hornet
Steve with a Hornet

[*] posted on 19-2-2015 at 11:16 AM
Flying a Peter Linn Hornet

Hi, I'm new to power kiting!
I've bought a Peter Ling Hornet. All lined up correctly (as far as I can tell!). Spent 3 hours recently trying to launch it! I was launching alone so taking off from the ground. Kite would start to rise but then summersault rapidly and drop to the ground OR it would rise and then drop vertically back down on it's trailing edge. Does anyone have any ideas/tips please? I checked out the website but it didn't show me much. I have a week on the beaches of Northumberland next week and I'd really like to get the hang of this. Thanks.
soliver
Posting Freak

Mood: sleepy

[*] posted on 19-2-2015 at 12:16 PM

Hi Steve and welcome to the forum!

First and foremost are you certain that you have the lines attached properly? It sounds possible that you might have accidentally attached the flying lines and brake lines backward if its taking off on its own. I know Peter Lynn Kites are typically all marked as to what should go where, so make sure everything looks right.

Secondly, are there any tangles possibly in the bridles? if you lay your kite out on the floor inside your home and lift up the bridles, do they cascade properly so there are no twists and nothing is crossing over anything else? If you are detaching the lines from the kite before you pack it up, make sure you stow the bridles properly. There should be a little velcro tab inside the center foil on the leading edge where you can strap down the ends of the bridles. If you don't do this you can end up with some nasty tangles.

Thirdly are you certain that all of your lines are the same length? Its not often, but occasionally the factory might have sent a defective line set.

Those the most frequent problems people run into when starting out.

Here are some good packing methods that might help you if you want to keep your lines on the kite:

This is my way:
https://vimeo.com/85890919

and here's John Holgates method with a tutorial on launching and landing as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FFVFffvXrQ

I'm going to take a nap now
hiaguy

Mood: Always counting the days to the next WBB

[*] posted on 19-2-2015 at 04:49 PM

Welcome to the forum and the family!

There is quite an active kite community in the UK and I'm sure that someone closer to you will chime in. However...

It may be that the kite is lifting and then dropping back on the trailing edge because of too much tension on the brake (bottom) lines. The Hornet will fly quite well with the bottom lines completely slack, using them only to tighten a turn or land.
So, try launching the kite keeping the bottom of the handles "pointed" at the kite so that the top lines are the only ones with tension on them.
If the kite still spins, soliver is correct - either the lines are different lengths or the bridle is twisted/tangled.

There are some good videos of the Hornet at:
http://www.bigmikeskites.com/PeterLynn/Hornet/HornetVideos.h...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACy6As27Pow&spfreload=10

Go ahead... tell me to "go fly a kite!" Please!

Howard - used to be KC67
Fly: A quiver of Lynx' and Cores (did someone say "Pansh"?), a couple o' Arcs, and a Rev to remind me about control
Ride: PL XR+
Where: 43.857899, -78.941661 and 38.970951, -74.828922
Bladerunner
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 19-2-2015 at 05:53 PM

Are you holding your handles proper? The best way to start out is to put your pointer finger above and index finger below the front lines ( on the top of your handles ) . The bottom / brake lines should be relaxed without any input until you apply some.

Try and avoid adding brake input at all for the 1st while. Then start slowly playing with brake tension to back the kite down + do brake turns.

If I am correct PL lines will be heavier on the front lines and a lighter version on the back?

I felt like voting 10 but couldn't decide what 10 I like most. ;)

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
hiaguy

Mood: Always counting the days to the next WBB

[*] posted on 19-2-2015 at 06:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bladerunner  

If I am correct PL lines will be heavier on the front lines and a lighter version on the back?

Yes, typically orange to the top (power) and blue to the bottom (brake).

Go ahead... tell me to "go fly a kite!" Please!

Howard - used to be KC67
Fly: A quiver of Lynx' and Cores (did someone say "Pansh"?), a couple o' Arcs, and a Rev to remind me about control
Ride: PL XR+
Where: 43.857899, -78.941661 and 38.970951, -74.828922
Steve with a Hornet

[*] posted on 21-2-2015 at 03:00 AM

Thank you everyone for all your replies & advice - I certainly feel welcomed.
I have a week on the coast of Northumberland now. I'll try out all your tips, check out the video links & let you know how I get on.

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio