Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Cronix 12m First Fly
Proletariat

[*] posted on 12-3-2014 at 10:09 PM
Cronix 12m First Fly

Got a few land board turns in on the new 12m Cronix. First, it turns like a 6m. The bar is short but it apparently doesn't need much. On its default setting, it flies WAY forward in the window -- so much so that I had trouble going downwind. Upwind was a snap, and a couple of times I choked the kite trying to go about 30 degrees upwind. Crazy.

The kite loves to loop, even though I'm too much of a wuss to throw big loops on my landboard. I did throw various loops while static. I now understand why everyone goes on and on about the Cronix loop. You can throw as tight a loop as you want and it generates a LOT of relatively predictable power. You can throw high loops for lift, low loops for power or mega loops for both lift and power.

From the #@%$#!pit, the Cronix looks kinda like an arc and it has many of the same flight characteristics. It doesn't flap much and generally feels very nimble yet predictable. If you're flying static or high on a gusty day, it tends to want to overfly the window a bit, but you can probably adjust that quite a bit (and I will). In the default setting it doesn't have a ton of grunt, but a quick straight down power stroke has you moving in no time. Need more? Throw a loop and you get to choose EXACTLY how fast you wanna start out.

So the lack of grunt, the quick turning capability, and tremendous power curvemakes this NOT a beginner kite, IMO. It also isn't innately floaty like some of the other flysurfers and arcs are, so a poorly placed kite loop jump could really go sideways pretty quickly. This kite wants to be flown hard -- it's not much of a park n ride. If you make a mistake I could see some pretty serious consequences (that's a lot of power to be throwing around so quickly)

I'll still be dialing in the finer points of trim, settings and behavior, but I'm super psyched about this kite, and I haven't even scratched the surface of what it can do. Will post more as I figure this sucker out.
Kober

Mood: More kiting !!!

[*] posted on 12-4-2014 at 02:31 AM

I understand that you are comparing Cronix to foil kites ..... In that case I can see how much difference you can find in kite behavior . Its completely different way of flying kites and using power , specially when you jump on water or landboard . You would be amazed how much faster smaller sizes turn, 7 or 8m will kieloop crazy fast ... Keep playing with it and you will find soon perfect technique to fly it and then you will discover how much more fun LEI are over slower foil de-power kites , specially in gusty and turbulent winds ...... Downside is that you need 2 or 3m bigger size LEI kite then you would use when flying foil .... and keep it away from crashing to the ground .... lol ....
.... Definitely I want to hear more about this kite since it is so rare here in US ... I have seen only one so far down in Hatteras .....
Good luck with it !!!

New Jersey Kite Addicts
NAPKA US-212

2021 Eleveight FS .........10......12
2021 Eleveight XS .........14
Gin Zulu II / III .........5...7
Gin Sherpa .......10
Gin Yeti ..........4.5
Gin Tonkawa ..........3.1...4.1...5.4...6.8...8.7...11.5...15.4
Liquid Force ELITE .... 6m
Flysurfer Speed4 Lotus 18m
Flysurfer Sonic-FR .... 9 ....11....18m
Flysurfer Sonic2 .....11....15m

2016 Nobile Zen Hydrofoil with Infinity 5.1' splitboard
2019 Nobile 2HD with Ronix One boots
2020 Nobile NHP split foil with Ronix Parks boots
MG Supra ......... pulling KiteTrike

....... My videos!
PHREERIDER

Mood: chilled....but ready to SAIL!

[*] posted on 12-4-2014 at 07:37 AM

nice man, will it reverse launch? seems i thought that was a feature. with more breeze thats gonna be a blast. cool man.

TEAM RIDER for Coastal Wind Sports

http://www.coastalwindsports.com/

VIDEOS for your entertainment while you wait.

http://vimeo.com/user4948152/videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/goldendmd?feature=mhsn
ssayre

[*] posted on 12-4-2014 at 03:24 PM

Is that a park or is it a bunch of soccer fields? It looks massive

edit: Never mind I see the lines now
erratic winds

Mood: ATGATT! Armor up!

[*] posted on 12-4-2014 at 04:27 PM

ssayre-it's a lot smaller than it looks. With the kite up and moving it's almost a whole minute of riding before you have to tack in the other direction.

what is this shennanigans, dave's got 3 or 4 new kites since I rode with him jeez

Tide? What's a tide? Man, it's 1000 miles to any ocean.
soliver

Mood: sleepy

[*] posted on 12-4-2014 at 07:10 PM

A WHOLE MINUTE!!!

I typically get 10 to 30 seconds!!!

I'm going to take a nap now

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio