Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Best kitesurf booties
elnica

[*] posted on 7-8-2014 at 08:13 AM
Best kitesurf booties

Since there isn't really much discussion on this I think it would be helpful to start a topic for others. I have used 3 different split-toe booties and so far 2 of them caused hematomas (pressure against the big toe when kiting caused bood to accumulate under the nail). In the store the booties felt just fine so trying them on or walking around is not the same as kiting with them. I have "egyptian" feet, which seems like the norm for how booties are made although my big toe is not that much longer than my other toe compared to the image below. This will likely generate some funny comments...

Here is my review:

Hyperflex Access 3mm Split-Toe ($25-30):

Best I have tried so far. Cheap, minimalist, and flexible. Maybe not the best for very cold conditions but for air temps in the 50s through 90s (F) it works great. Thin also means easier to fit in bindings, that are not always mean to accomodate a bootie. I no longer have these but they will be my next pair to purchase.

Ripcurl F-Bomb 5mm hidden split toe ($65):

Expensive, good cold water bootie but its thick rubber sole also means it is less flexible. Great for walking around due to the thicker sole but cause a lot of pressure when kiting. I got 2 hematomas from these, one on each big toe (separate occasions). If I need to wear booties I am now paying close attention to the pressure while kiting so I conciously pull back my toe so it doesn't get another hematoma. I hope I loose these soon so I have an excuse to replace them.

3mm split toe (more than $50):

I'll add the brand info and picture later today. It felt fine in the store but was very loose on my foot after getting wet / full of water. It still caused significant pressure on my big toe and a small hematoma so it went back into the box after just 2 sessions. (worse of the three so far).

Too many kites, boards, and etceteras.
Bladerunner

[*] posted on 7-8-2014 at 09:02 AM

This topic came up on our local forum just recently. This guy gave about the best reply so I copied it for here. The picture didn't transfer but it's a good review.

I was reorganizing equipment today and had a bunch of my booties out. Here's a photo and comments:

5 Pairs of Booties.jpg5 Pairs of Booties.jpg (128.39 KiB) Viewed 295 times

From Left to Right

O'Neil 5 ml. Good winter boot, warm, tread on bottom and sides, as well as top strap makes them difficult to put in and out of straps. Very little board feel through these ones. Not so good if riding strapped surf, race board, foil board

Atan 3 ml??? different material than other brands. Smooth outside/fuzzy inside. Good winter/spring boot, warm, minimal bottom tread and none on the sides make it easy to get in and out of straps. Smooth exterior makes it easy too. Great board feel with thin but tough sole, and split toe. Best boot I've ever had! Next best thing to barefoot. Great for surfboard, raceboard, foil etc. and anything where you are in and out of the straps often and need to feel the board and the straps. Super comfortable BUT the split toe does not work if you have a big toe that is shorter than the toe right beside it.

O'Neil 3ml Good winter boot when not below about 8 degrees. tread on bottom and sides, as well as top strap makes them difficult to put in and out of straps. Very little board feel. Not so good if riding strapped surf, race board, foil board

O'Neil 3ml with toes cut off. These are just the 3ml O'Neil with the toes chopped off with a razor knife. Good summer boot for those days when the water is really cold. Like in Squamish. They are still surprisingly warm because the blood flow to the toes is kept warm. Great feel. In and our of straps easily. No need to adjust straps if you decide to go with or without booties. I use these with the race board. At Squamish they are comfortable on the rocks when launching and landing and work well on the water. I take a size 10 normally but use size 8 with the toes cut off to keep a tight fit.

O'Neil 3ml low. These are good booties for warm areas where you need to walk out over a reef to get to the water. Like Lanes in Maui. They protect your feet from coral cuts and you just stuff them in your rash guard top as soon as you are out. They have good water flow through so you don't cook in them when in warm climates.

Note: If you are only riding twin tip all the comments about straps are probably irrelevant unless you are doing board offs.

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
Kamikuza

[*] posted on 7-8-2014 at 08:46 PM

XCEL Hydrolock. Much better than the Hyperflex boots I had and bloody warm.

Not sure I like split toe either - seems I have Greek feet too.

Yeah... I got a kite. Or two...

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio