Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Shoulder Probelms
Timouthy

Mood: I need to kite like I need air!

mad.gif posted on 1-26-2014 at 07:02 PM
Shoulder Probelms

Just wondering if any you guys had shoulder problems from kiting. I'm not sure if my injury was from kiting but I'm done until it's better and this my time to kite ski it's all I think about all summer now it's winter and this happens not a happy camper here.

3.5 hq rush pro
7.5 hq apex 3
5.0 hq apex 3
Montana vll 14 m
Best Bularoo 10 m
11 m hq apex 4
Cheddarhead

[*] posted on 1-26-2014 at 07:20 PM

I had a rotator cuff issue one year but not from kiting, just from pushing it to hard in the gym. Doc sent me to physical therapy. Therapy and lots of rest and it eventually went away but took a long time to be 100%. I still have a knee issue from skiing last year:evil: Being a skier, I would rather have a shoulder problem than a knee issue. Wanna trade?

SS Turbine 17m
SS Rally 14m
SS Rally 12m
SS RPM 10m
SS Rally 8m
SS Rally 6m
FS Speed 3 15m dlx
FS Peak 2 6m
Ozone Frenzy 9m
Ozone Access XT 6m
PL Farc 1200

What I ride:
Home brew buggy
Volkl race tiger DH 210
Dynastar DH 218
Blizzard Cochise 185
Steepwater 179 twin tip
Aboards Reverse 161
Timouthy

[*] posted on 1-26-2014 at 07:40 PM

I'm in physical therapy now and the doctor said I could kite but I feel I shouldn't push it. Did you kite when you had shoulder problems Cheddar ? I'm doing the same exercises that I would do kiting and maybe pushing my self harder than kiting but I'm in a controlled environment .

3.5 hq rush pro
7.5 hq apex 3
5.0 hq apex 3
Montana vll 14 m
Best Bularoo 10 m
11 m hq apex 4
shehatesmyhobbies

Mood: Serious Buggy withdraws!

[*] posted on 1-26-2014 at 08:25 PM

I actually was in a bad car wreck back in 96 and loss 20% movement in my right shoulder due to tearing and separating the ligaments. I had surgery and then went on about life. I found kiting almost 6 years ago and it actually gave me back full range of my shoulder. Stretched me back out I just say. Now I am back to almost original condition. I actually credit kiting to fixing my shoulder.

Rich
NAPKA President
US 66
www.napka.org

302 480 6008

Phantoms!
My ride: GT Rapide
Check out the Wildwood Buggy Bash Facebook page!
ssayre

[*] posted on 1-26-2014 at 08:46 PM

I would say it depends on the type of shoulder problem you are having. I had a torn rotator cuff and eventually had to have surgery. If it is a rotator cuff problem and it feels like your shoulder wants to pop out of socket when kiting then I would let heal longer. If it is more muscle strain than I would say to try kiting and see how you feel. If you are apprehensive about it now, than that might be a good sign your not ready.
AD72

[*] posted on 1-26-2014 at 10:13 PM

+1 let it heal
I have dislocated both my shoulders at different times. The second time I followed the PT instructions exactly and I have no pain in that shoulder. It took a lot less time than the first one which I did not follow instructions when i was 16. So follow what your PT says. That said, flying has buit up my muscles around the rotator cuff and I have full mobility in both shoulders. I agree that it has helped me stretch out. Kiting has also helped my back. I mainly kiteboard.
ice kiter

[*] posted on 1-27-2014 at 02:21 AM

The rotatorcuff got injured secondly for me on the right site in this fall. With the first occasion during hockey a collision , secondly at kite buggy. now the biceps sinew injured too, so I go to physiotherapist and I hope so onto the summer already properly can to up - with straight hand - 5kg weight.
yeah and then good how there is not a real winter at us now . I would not be able to tolerate it !:mad:
(and I bought bigger gnarled rubbers for the better adhesion)

HQ Beamer V 4.0 with X-Over Control Bar/ Turbo Bar
HQ Toxic 2.0, 5.0, the 6.5 with banana / Turbo Bar

self-produced buggy and ice sleigh
- back axle wide 5ft / front-back ax. 6ft
andq
SCRUB Predator atb
pongnut

Mood: Land and snow figured out... water?

[*] posted on 1-27-2014 at 07:05 AM

+1 Rotator cuff, last summer. My wife's a pt and set me up with a piece of stretch tubing and a rehab routine. Took about 2 months before I could fly the Twister again, thank god for my depowers!

2m Radsails Pro (from crazyherb), 2.1m Symphony Beach II (from Amazon), 3m HQ Beamer IV (from K-Bid), 4m Pansh Flux (from garydog), 4.7m Flexifoil Rage (from mougl), 5.6m PL Twister IIR (from Big Mike), 6m Flysurfer Peak 1 (from Flysurfer USA), 11m HQ Neo II (from kiteplace), 19m PL Venom II (from Smeagol), MBS Core 95 ATB (from Overstock.com), couple of ROSSIGNOL snowboards w/ SIS "click" bindings
Feyd

[*] posted on 1-27-2014 at 11:17 AM

What kind of shoulder injury is it? If you're not sure then my guess is an overuse injury?

If it's something like impingement syndrome or some flavor of bursitis then the only recourse is to throttle back on the usage. Otherwise you run the risk of further chronic shoulder issues. Shoulders are complex as hell, having had two reconstructions on the right side I'm a little wary of shoulder related injury. The recovery time is too damn long. I will say I'm with shehatesmyhobbies and AD in that my range of motion has definitely improved with kiting.

And I'm right there with pongnut, depows make things so much easier for busted up people. Not on board with knee injury over shoulder. I'd do two more knee surgeries before I'd do another shoulder. Knees are cake and I have a killer knee guy. Shoulders suck even though I have a killer shoulder guy.:evil:

Chris Krug-Owner @ Hardwater Kiting. Authorized Dealer of Ozone, Flysurfer, HQ kites.
www.hardwaterkiter.com 603-986-2784
Timouthy

[*] posted on 1-27-2014 at 03:48 PM

Yes its impingement syndrome and they have me working out with the rubber bands two times daily and it's sore as hell after but the movement is coming back and there is less pain when doing my chores around the house And at work was thinking of taking a break until feb 15 that will be a month maybe more but not much longer than that I will hold the bar with my teeth if I have too lol

3.5 hq rush pro
7.5 hq apex 3
5.0 hq apex 3
Montana vll 14 m
Best Bularoo 10 m
11 m hq apex 4
soliver

Mood: sleepy

[*] posted on 1-27-2014 at 05:41 PM

I dislocated my kneecap about 10 yrs ago on the job. It was always a little janky after it healed. One of my first few times out kiting, I was lofted only a few feet, but came down on it wrong and almost blew it out again... Ever since, I don't go kiting (even with the 2.6m) unless I'm wearing a knee brace, even then I scud with my "good foot" forward.

Point being, after you're all healed up, take whatever precautions are necessary to keep it from re-injury.

I'm going to take a nap now
Cheddarhead

[*] posted on 1-27-2014 at 07:03 PM

I did lots of kiting while also going to PT for my shoulder. It was an overuse injury and not something I needed surgery for so kiting with depowers wasn't harmful in the least. Like you, they had me doing LOTS of strengthening exercises with bands, arm bike, etc. I like to think that kiting actually helped my shoulder progress. Big thing is to listen to your body and know when to say when.

SS Turbine 17m
SS Rally 14m
SS Rally 12m
SS RPM 10m
SS Rally 8m
SS Rally 6m
FS Speed 3 15m dlx
FS Peak 2 6m
Ozone Frenzy 9m
Ozone Access XT 6m
PL Farc 1200

What I ride:
Home brew buggy
Volkl race tiger DH 210
Dynastar DH 218
Blizzard Cochise 185
Steepwater 179 twin tip
Aboards Reverse 161
Feyd

[*] posted on 1-27-2014 at 07:19 PM

2nd Cheddar's thought. If it hurts a lot, throttle back.

Timouthy, does it hurt more when you sleep as opposed to being upright?

Chris Krug-Owner @ Hardwater Kiting. Authorized Dealer of Ozone, Flysurfer, HQ kites.
Timouthy

[*] posted on 1-28-2014 at 06:10 PM

Feyd it feels better when laying down no pain until I lay on it or bump it the pain gets less every day I think the Pt is working and it's best I don't kite right now I never can take it easy out there too much fun

3.5 hq rush pro
7.5 hq apex 3
5.0 hq apex 3
Montana vll 14 m
Best Bularoo 10 m
11 m hq apex 4
PHREERIDER

Mood: chilled....but ready to SAIL!

[*] posted on 1-29-2014 at 08:10 AM

certainly had my share of shoulder injury/pain. overuse, impingement, full slams, fouled unhooked junk, ....the biggest problem, my unwillingness to rest. 2days, 2weeks, 2months

2days --->motrin to move!
2weeks--->reasonably pain free but cautious with limits
2months ->i think i'm "smarter","tougher", but reality --->just more "tattered"

BUT never missed a session!

TEAM RIDER for Coastal Wind Sports

http://www.coastalwindsports.com/

VIDEOS for your entertainment while you wait.

http://vimeo.com/user4948152/videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/goldendmd?feature=mhsn
Feyd

[*] posted on 1-30-2014 at 09:04 AM

Phree has foul unhooked junk.:D

acampbell

Mood: Digging Deserts and Mts.

[*] posted on 1-30-2014 at 11:59 AM

I'm with the camp here that leans towards depowers for sparing upper body stress.

Nothing like having your sternum split for surgery to remind you how many force vectors from routine upper body movement pass through the breast plate. The doc thinks I should be full strength in 5 weeks but I know I will favor de-power and keep only some smaller FB kites for demo purposes.

In the meantime at the rate I am healing I might have some leftover Oxycodone and Tramadol if you need it ;-)

Angus Campbell
Coastal Wind Sports
where life is better when it blows!
912-577-3920 new number

Find out about Jekyll Island
ice kiter

[*] posted on 1-30-2014 at 02:34 PM
"- Shoulders are complex as hell, having had two reconstructions on the right side I'm a little wary of shoulder related injury. "

Yes it is, and I am on the rehab gymnastics yet only at the yellow rubber band with 11 weeks after the injury
As the thing may be chin now that it is the end of the kite, and blokart is come on drily and on ice
I am looking at it already. - I will be 50 slowly
But the hocky I do not know with it how will be, without that does not go
not too funny

HQ Beamer V 4.0 with X-Over Control Bar/ Turbo Bar
HQ Toxic 2.0, 5.0, the 6.5 with banana / Turbo Bar

self-produced buggy and ice sleigh
- back axle wide 5ft / front-back ax. 6ft
andq
SCRUB Predator atb
Feyd

[*] posted on 1-30-2014 at 06:03 PM

Nothing I hate more than PT.
:(

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio