Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Flysurfer Peak - single-skin depower
Flyfish

[*] posted on 10-22-2013 at 07:27 AM

I'm not a rocket scientist, but I bet that leading edge provides way better lift to drag and depower ability.
Personally I'm stoked to see flysurfer developing this and Mr Peter Lynn.
flyguy0101

Mood: Never to old to play, but failing to play will make you old!

[*] posted on 10-22-2013 at 11:09 AM

maybe i am a little slow but why does everyone say it must come from the nasawing design? aren't All LEIs single skin and we know they depower better than a lot of foils and i dont think they came form the nasa wing design. I personally do not like the nasa wings but look forward to seeing the flysurfer or Mr PL's version - i think it must be a much better design just my 2 cents

TEAMRIDER for Coastal Wind Sportsand Trampa mtn boards
www.trampaboards.com

My rides- Flexi buggy and Trampa mtn board
My engines-
HQ Scout 2m , 4m
Flexi Rage 3.5 & 4.7
PL Arcs- 10m Venom 1, 13m, 19m Venom II, 15m Charger2
bigE123

[*] posted on 10-22-2013 at 11:54 AM

All single skin kites are benched marked against the nasawing, why? Because they set the bar, if you can't better the design then you need to go back to the drawing board ;-)

Blade V 4.9m & 8.5m VIP,Ozone Frenzy 11m, SS Flexifoil buggy, PL hybrid suspension buggy (PTW), MBS core 95.
homemade:
NPW 9b: 7m (Union Jack). NPW 9b HA 3m (Damien) and 10m (Jolly R). NPW21 3m, 5m (aka Zombie), 8m (Batman), 11.5m (NASA), NPW 21 HA 6.8m
The Hammers 5m, 7.2m & 12m
zero gee

[*] posted on 10-22-2013 at 01:34 PM

I thought the C-Quad was the gold standard for single skins.

2016 CORE Section wave 6m and 9m
CORE Sensor2 controlbar
2016 5'2" North WHIP surfboard
Zeeko Spitfire XLW foil and 5'0 custom foilboard
Electric Outback MountainBoard
Any old $100 snowboard
macboy

Mood: They're ALL good ideas. Right up until they become BAD ideas.

[*] posted on 10-22-2013 at 11:33 PM

I'm sure the physics correlate real close to that of an LEI - the big leading edge creating a vacuum (so to speak) under the wing surface would really crank up the power generated by these things once in motion. I had an RC plane like that - can't recall what it was called....negative camber? Don't remember. Hell, it's even akin to a mast and sail on a sailboat. The big LE creating ultra low pressure on the inside surface. Makes me wonder what took so long :lol:

KC07 - Certified Chronic

Rev Shockwave | Brooza II 3 | BusterII's 3/4/5 | Hornet 1.5
Reactor II 5.5/6.9 | AccessXC 10 | Frenzy 12 | PsychoIII 13 | Speed2 12 | Speed3 15 | SA2.5 19
Bomba 15 | Phantom 15/18 | Venom 13 | Slingshot T3 9/11/14m

Skis, Ski Skates, Nobile RM Pro, MBS Pro 90, Kailolo 5' 11" Custom Phish, Kailolo 5'9" Custom Phish, Plyboard, Proof 151, FlydoorM, F-One 198, Coyotes, Comp XR+, and the BEST WIFE IN THE WORLD!

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
~ Thomas Edison
Purely Luck

[*] posted on 10-23-2013 at 09:32 AM

" The big LE creating ultra low pressure on the inside surface."

The low pressure (vacuum) is created on the top of the wing. That is why it pulls you when it flys.

See http://youtu.be/5ltjFEei3AI?t=1m50s

HQ Symphony 1.7 | Rush 2.5m | Apex II 5m | Taboo 5.5m | Kahoona 9.5m & 11.5m | NPW 9 15m

Prussik

[*] posted on 10-23-2013 at 11:40 AM

It is not Bernoulli but AOA (i.e. Newton) who is responsible for most of the lift of a wing.
PistolPete

[*] posted on 10-23-2013 at 12:08 PM

LE of the kite shape is similar to a cylinder and the attached smooth upper wing surface behind it reduces flow separation to allow efficient lift. Suspect low/kite speed flow separation is not that big of an issue for the non-smooth lower surface behind the LE?

NAPKA-US28
MeatÐriver

Mood: Needs more DP.

[*] posted on 10-23-2013 at 04:22 PM

Just found a small set of pics on Flickr with a few closeups. IMO, i think all those exposed jagged ribs hanging out look pretty sick.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dontwannaphoto/sets/72157636097...

Frenzy 9m, 13m Ultralite
AccessXT 6, 8m
R3 10.8m
Slingshot 6, 10m

GI Flight 93
Libre VMax-II

US728
shaggs2riches

Mood: low winds here I come

[*] posted on 10-23-2013 at 10:05 PM

I somehow think that this will change a lot of people's current opinions once it's released. Flysurfer really must have done a ton of testing and money to be so confident in releasing this design. It can really be said that all foils are designed around the same basic foil design, and all lei are designed around a same basic lei design. They have taken a basic model and shaped it to their own style and liking. Why can't it be no different with single skin kites? Didn't ozone create a single skin glider not too long ago? Either way this type of engineering is moving into a positive direction breaking out of the current norm. Sure hope it doesn't flop, and leave them dumping the R&D on these things cause this could only be the beginning.

what I fly/ride:
19m Flysurfer Speed 2 SA
12m Flysurfer Speed2
6m Ozone access xt
1.5m Ozone imp trainer
144cm Airush Switch
152cm lib tech skate banana
MBS Pro 90
Jereme Leafe Pro 95
MeatÐriver

[*] posted on 10-24-2013 at 06:05 AM

Best hands on info that I've seen so far. You'll have to bust out Google translator or what have you. I think it somewhat disappointing that they found the depower to be so on/off. http://www.drachenforum.net/forum/Flysurfer-Peak-Sammelthrea...

Frenzy 9m, 13m Ultralite
AccessXT 6, 8m
R3 10.8m
Slingshot 6, 10m

GI Flight 93
Libre VMax-II

US728
bobalooie57

Mood: Windy

[*] posted on 10-26-2013 at 10:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by sendit  
http://www.peterlynnhimself.com/newsletter/Oct_Nl_13.html

I found this pretty interesting, so I ordered the 4M! I will post a review when I get it and fly it.

Team MEAN GREEN

Bob Lussier

OUTLAW KITER
1.4M Beamer III, 2M Beamer IV,2M Toxic HQ , 7.5MApex III, HQ, Quadrifoil XXXL (9.66M), NPW5 2.4,4.8m, NPW9 3.4M(HQ),NPW9 7M (RASTA\'S FURY), NPW9 7.6M (BIG SISTAH),NPW9 12MGREENMONSTER(km4), P L Comp ST buggy,PL Bigfoot+ buggy, Atomic Alibi Snowboard, Protec Knee/Elbow Pads & Helmet, Seirus wristguards, Demon crash shorts, LaCross chest/shoulder pads. (tryin\' to be safe!)
IMK

[*] posted on 10-26-2013 at 12:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bobalooie57  

I found this pretty interesting, so I ordered the 4M! I will post a review when I get it and fly it.

They look interesting. Where did you order the 4m from?

Zebra Z1: 2.5, 3.4, 4, 5m
Nasa Star 2: 1.5, 2.5, 4, 5.5, 7m
HQ Apex III 5m
Zebra Buggy - wide axle
shaggs2riches

Mood: low winds here I come

[*] posted on 10-27-2013 at 01:41 AM

www.vimeo.com/m/77766688

This looks interesting. Curious how it works that a 9m is suppose to be the equivelant of a 14m. Looking cool though.

what I fly/ride:
19m Flysurfer Speed 2 SA
12m Flysurfer Speed2
6m Ozone access xt
1.5m Ozone imp trainer
144cm Airush Switch
152cm lib tech skate banana
MBS Pro 90
Jereme Leafe Pro 95
erratic winds

Mood: ATGATT! Armor up!

[*] posted on 10-27-2013 at 06:58 AM

I don't know, that 6m peak =10m foil and 9m peak=14m foil seems VERY suspicious to me....really seems like marketing juju.

That only seems to be the case in FB kites, or FB styled kites.

But in reading the google translated page, they could pretty much be talking about my 2004 Rookie2.....pulls very hard for it's size, depower is on/off with no real in-between.... I would imagine they have improved in a decade!

Still want to see it in person, but that video made me a bit less excited and loads more suspicious!

Tide? What's a tide? Man, it's 1000 miles to any ocean.
bobalooie57

[*] posted on 10-27-2013 at 07:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by IMK  
Quote: Originally posted by bobalooie57  

They look interesting. Where did you order the 4m from?

I used the link in the newsletter to contact P Lynn himself, and he put me on to the contact. I'll look it up and U2U it to you.

Team MEAN GREEN

Bob Lussier

OUTLAW KITER
1.4M Beamer III, 2M Beamer IV,2M Toxic HQ , 7.5MApex III, HQ, Quadrifoil XXXL (9.66M), NPW5 2.4,4.8m, NPW9 3.4M(HQ),NPW9 7M (RASTA\'S FURY), NPW9 7.6M (BIG SISTAH),NPW9 12MGREENMONSTER(km4), P L Comp ST buggy,PL Bigfoot+ buggy, Atomic Alibi Snowboard, Protec Knee/Elbow Pads & Helmet, Seirus wristguards, Demon crash shorts, LaCross chest/shoulder pads. (tryin\' to be safe!)
Bladerunner

[*] posted on 10-27-2013 at 01:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bigE123  
I'm sure any single skin kite will have it's roots based on a NPW...... I'm sure I've seen something similar ;-)

This is one interesting NPW !

From the little I understand NPW like the NASA star accomplish depower by tucking the nose ????? This one looks like you can actually adjust AOA ? If so can you tell us how it performs compared to your traditional ones.

Is it just me or do the wingtips on the Peak look unfinished ? They just seem to end at a flat rib? They look to flap around a bit in the videos. Possibly adding to the On / Off issue?

While Flysurfer may be leaning on the NPW designs I see them using other influences like the stiff rods to hold shape and more of a traditional foil profile. Big props to them for using every advantage they can find.

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
MeatÐriver

[*] posted on 10-29-2013 at 09:22 AM

Regarding the "flapping," my understanding from what I have read is that the tips flutter a bit for a moment when letting the bar out transitioning from powered to depowered.
A couple more random bits in this XK thread. http://www.extremekites.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=17&...

Frenzy 9m, 13m Ultralite
AccessXT 6, 8m
R3 10.8m
Slingshot 6, 10m

GI Flight 93
Libre VMax-II

US728
DemBones

Mood: Hold on!

[*] posted on 11-2-2013 at 03:17 AM

The prior Peter Lynn newsletter explains the concept and origins of this design a bit better.

linky

Quote:

More recently, parapent designers approached the problem from a different direction- by taking the lower skins off their multi-celled high performance ram air wings.
bigE123

[*] posted on 11-2-2013 at 03:50 AM

Quote:
From the little I understand NPW like the NASA star accomplish depower by tucking the nose ????? This one looks like you can actually adjust AOA ? If so can you tell us how it performs compared to your traditional ones.

The NPW in the pic has no de-power on it, it was a test to try out a wider aspect ratio and what fitting keels did. I have an 11.8m NASA logo NPW which does have de-power on it. It is de-powered by altering the AoA, although it doesn't have the power range of a foil it does de-power and fly faster on a lower AoA and slows down / powers up on a higher AoA. Giving me a wider wind range to fly it in.

PS As Peter Lynn is sending some of his kites out I don't think it so much of a secret any more........ I've got a 4m prototype for testing ;-) and they do what they say on the tin!!

Blade V 4.9m & 8.5m VIP,Ozone Frenzy 11m, SS Flexifoil buggy, PL hybrid suspension buggy (PTW), MBS core 95.
homemade:
NPW 9b: 7m (Union Jack). NPW 9b HA 3m (Damien) and 10m (Jolly R). NPW21 3m, 5m (aka Zombie), 8m (Batman), 11.5m (NASA), NPW 21 HA 6.8m
rectifier

Mood: Shredding

[*] posted on 11-2-2013 at 10:33 PM

Interesting, interesting... I'm more interested in PL's new NASA inspired single skins from the newsletter than this Flysurfer monstrosity, to be honest. Floppy edges, massive overcomplexity, and IMO one hell of an ugly kite!

Perhaps I should see if PL will sell me one of the kits... if I can put it together right! haha ;)
He did mention that L/D was no better than NPWs, those who have got their hands on them - what did you think about the window/upwind? Is it a depower? Is it better than experimental NPW depower systems?

Homebuilt: 1m NPW9b, 2.6m NPW21, 7m NPW21 UDS
HQ: 3.2m Crossfire, 5m + 7m Apex 3
6m Ozone Explore v2
bigE123

[*] posted on 11-3-2013 at 02:42 AM

Quote:
He did mention that L/D was no better than NPWs, those who have got their hands on them - what did you think about the window/upwind? Is it a depower? Is it better than experimental NPW depower systems?

The kite I have is a 4m fb, as much as I'd like to give a full review, I don't think it would be really fair as it is a prototype and as such I doubt it would be the same as the final production kite. The key seems to be in the simplicity.

Since getting the kite I've only had chance to fly it a couple of times as the winds have been way too high. The static session I had in around 12 mph winds the kite feels very light and has that solid NPW power. In the buggy again it feels very stable with lots of power, but until I can get more flying time with it I can't really comment on window size. What I will say is that once these kites become available they will be a real alternative to any kite out there, especially at the price they are hinted to be released at.... cheaper to buy than make!!

homemade:
skimtwashington

[*] posted on 11-3-2013 at 07:06 AM

what is "L/D"....?

Interesting newsletter.

The lightweight packability and lower wind flyability will be a boon for adventurers or trekkers. You will still need to have more than one kite for such adventures...but they'll be lighter and take less space in your backpack.

If they can just now come up with one adjustable kite that will handle 3-35+ mph winds and you got it all!:lol:

'Cheaper to buy than make?' Oh, c'mon!:rolleyes:
Kamikuza

[*] posted on 11-3-2013 at 07:41 AM

Lift/Drag ratio...

How much is your time worth? How many hours would it take you to make a kite? Do the math...

Yeah... I got a kite. Or two...
skimtwashington

[*] posted on 11-3-2013 at 08:04 AM

Can you give a hint on the price they hinted at if hinting from the hinterland....?:D
bobalooie57

[*] posted on 11-3-2013 at 09:04 AM

Hey ski, I have the 4M on order, it hasn't arrived yet, but I payed $124.80 with shipping. When it arrives, I plan on flying it side by side with my 3.8M Reactor, on the same line set for comparison. I will post video/review when I can.

Team MEAN GREEN

Bob Lussier

OUTLAW KITER
skimtwashington

[*] posted on 11-3-2013 at 10:08 PM

from Nov. newsletter:http://www.peterlynnhimself.com/newsletter/Nov_Nl_13.html
Quote:

the kite can be either rigged for bar flying (and no-brains handle flying for beginners) or for handle flying with de-power and zero wind capabilities

Not sure how it becomes a 'depower' on a 4-line handles. :puzzled:

rectifier

Mood: Shredding

[*] posted on 11-3-2013 at 10:51 PM

Depower doesn't just mean the bar goes in and out. It only means the AoA of the canopy is being changed. As such, you can depower on handles, as long as you tilt them both at the same rate.
BigE has some NPWs rigged with a "universal depower system" which tilts the whole kite and looks pretty neat. As far as I know, he flies them on handles.

What I don't see is how the SKIN is a depower kite. No pulleys, so it looks a lot like how a traditional NPW "depowers" by changing trailing edge shape and slowing down the kite. Unless he has come up with something truly revolutionary?

Neat how he has picked up the Z bridle from the NPW flying community. It really does help with flyability

Homebuilt: 1m NPW9b, 2.6m NPW21, 7m NPW21 UDS
HQ: 3.2m Crossfire, 5m + 7m Apex 3
6m Ozone Explore v2
IMK

[*] posted on 11-4-2013 at 02:05 AM

In this context I think 'depower' is being used literally and relates to the fact that when the brakes are fully released the tips 'rag out' and the kite goes from max power to about 50% power (at least this is my interpretation after emailing Peter Lynn)

Zebra Z1: 2.5, 3.4, 4, 5m
Nasa Star 2: 1.5, 2.5, 4, 5.5, 7m
HQ Apex III 5m
Zebra Buggy - wide axle
Kamikuza

[*] posted on 11-4-2013 at 04:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by skimtwashington  
Can you give a hint on the price they hinted at if hinting from the hinterland....?:D

Sorry, didn't mean that to sound as grumpy as it might seem...

I think I heard E1200...?

Yeah... I got a kite. Or two...
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio