Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Jumping Upwind???
Snake

Mood: Time to upgrade!

question.gif posted on 4-7-2013 at 12:45 AM
Jumping Upwind???

I was out on my F-arc 1200 (I love this kite and it's big brother :spin: ) yesterday in some shifty and gusty winds. The wind was 5-20mph with gusts up to 25. It was too gusty for a board so I decided to static jump. I was getting some pretty good jumps, some were near vertical. I got a few jumps were instead going downwind, I went upwind. They were like the glides snowkiters do down mountains. But here's the part that puzzles me. I was on flat ground and wasn't running upwind. I was running perpendicular to the wind using the standard jumping procedure. The only way I can thing of for this to happen is the kite overflew, then I started moving upwind to get under the kite and my inertia kept me going in that direction. The f-arc amazing L/D might have something to do with it too.

Has anyone else ever experianced something like this? It happened a few times so I know it wasn't a 1 in a million occurance.

Peter Lynn Venom I 13M
Peter Lynn Guerilla I 13m, 15m, 18m
Peter Lynn F-Arc 1200, 1600
Pansh Legend 4.5M
Airush 55cm Bar
Ozone Access SB Harness
Kamikuza

[*] posted on 4-7-2013 at 06:03 AM

Yup. In this you can see from the apex down, I'm going backwards... I wouldn't call it 'upwind' but you are trading altitude for airspeed and getting some glide time in, which means you cover some ground too.

Yeah... I got a kite. Or two...
flyjump

[*] posted on 4-7-2013 at 08:44 AM

Yeah, and its wicked scary the first few times. I think it is similar to the big glides. Flying backwards is floaty but will scare you when you dont expect it

Snake

Mood: Time to upgrade!

[*] posted on 4-7-2013 at 12:13 PM

Is there a way you can purposely jump into a glide without rideing down hill or is is luck?

Peter Lynn Venom I 13M
Peter Lynn Guerilla I 13m, 15m, 18m
Peter Lynn F-Arc 1200, 1600
Pansh Legend 4.5M
Airush 55cm Bar
Ozone Access SB Harness
flyjump

[*] posted on 4-7-2013 at 03:46 PM

Most of the time its when my hangtime exceeds my momentum anf i glide backwards, but ive never done it on purpose, its always been accidental

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Hosting