Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ivanpah Pro as a fun buggy
Bmwbob

Mood: Boldly going places that wiser men avoid

[*] posted on 13-2-2013 at 08:23 AM
Ivanpah Pro as a fun buggy

I'm shopping buggies to get back into this hobby.
I used to have a Peter Lynn folder and Blade kites years ago, but loss of the only good non-beach site caused me to sell out. I still have a small Sky Tiger in excellent shape, if anyone is interested.
Now, we have a nice county park with a large and seldom used soccer field about two miles from the house.
I just got into the Revolution kites, currently with a 1.5 and a Power Blast 2-4.
I will be getting the P.B. 4-8 to complete the power set.
I am being offered a really good deal on a clean used Ivanpah stainless steel buggy in a package with the 4-8.
I already know that it won't conveniently break down like the other buggies.
I'm wondering if it is even practical to consider using what appears to be a purpose-built race buggy to zip around the soccer field and, on occasion, go to the beach?
I do have a Tacoma pickup so I can haul it mostly assembled.
I'm thinking that I would remove the front boom and wheel assembly ( if that is possible) along with the rear wheels to store it at home.
Also, I'm told that I could swap out the standard tires for Bigfoot balloons on the same wheels out of consideration for the grass on the soccer field,and to ride over soft sand at the beach.
Is there something I'm not considering (weight, ground clearance, turning radius or ??) that would make this a less than desirable play rig?
Bob
cheezycheese
Posting Freak

Mood: Ready for action !!!

[*] posted on 13-2-2013 at 08:33 AM

My personal feeling is that it might be a bit much for soccer fields as it is a large buggy. However for the beach the Ivanpaugh is right at home. But wait til owners of the Ivanpaugh chime in, they may tell you different.

(Off topic:Are you into BMW's...?)

US888
PL- Aero v1 11m / Phantom 6/9/12/15/18
Ozone Chrono v2 9m
Liquid Force Elite 6.5m
Flysurfer - Peak 3 4m
PKD - Century 2.5m, Soulfly 3.5m
Ted's Profoil-1m/3.5m
Custom NABX Rev
GT Rapide V/VTT-XR+ Special
Bmwbob

[*] posted on 13-2-2013 at 09:07 AM
BMW's

I picked up that handle after owning 7 BMW motorcycles.
I currently have an '09 Harley Electra Glide Classic which I ride to work most days.
We once owned a Z3, but it was too small, so the wife now has a Mini Cooper.
It's nearly impossible to drive that little bugger in a non-aggressive manner! Just TOO much fun! :-)
Bob
cheezycheese
Posting Freak

Mood: Ready for action !!!

[*] posted on 13-2-2013 at 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bmwbob
I picked up that handle after owning 7 BMW motorcycles.
I currently have an '09 Harley Electra Glide Classic which I ride to work most days.
We once owned a Z3, but it was too small, so the wife now has a Mini Cooper.
It's nearly impossible to drive that little bugger in a non-aggressive manner! Just TOO much fun! :-)
Bob

Oh, okay. I was thinking cars, but love their bikes as well. I have two old school Bimmers. An E30 and an E28. Much like the Cooper the E30 begs to be driven hard... :evil:

US888
PL- Aero v1 11m / Phantom 6/9/12/15/18
Ozone Chrono v2 9m
Liquid Force Elite 6.5m
Flysurfer - Peak 3 4m
PKD - Century 2.5m, Soulfly 3.5m
Ted's Profoil-1m/3.5m
Custom NABX Rev
GT Rapide V/VTT-XR+ Special
BeamerBob
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 13-2-2013 at 09:31 AM

This might've gotten more responses in the kite buggy forum instead of here in nabx.

From one Bob to another, I've owned an Ivanpah and I don't think I could go back to a buggy that I sit on instead of in. I love the security of being able to ride powered and can slide the buggy to bleed off excess power instead of being at risk of getting dragged out of the buggy. Adding Bigfoot lites is a definite plus for ride quality and dealing with soft sand or rough ground. If you can haul it easily, that's most of the downside taken care of right there.

Coastal Wind Sports Team Rider
Landsegler Disc wheels
PTW Hero Buggy - XXtreme ApeXX Buggy US 88 - Libre Hardcore
IvanpahBuggyExpo.com
Youtube link
Bob Muse
HQ Montana X 8m, Montana IX 12m, HQ Ignition LEI 5m,
PL Phantom 12m, 15m, Big Blu 24m+, Synergy 10m, Venom 10m, 13m , Phantom II 12m Vapors 3.8, 5.4, Crosskite Sonic 7m, PKD Combat 10.3m
Uturn Butane 2.5m PKD Buster 3m Genetrix Hydra 7m Ozone Yakuza GT 14m
Bmwbob

[*] posted on 13-2-2013 at 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BeamerBob
This might've gotten more responses in the kite buggy forum instead of here in nabx.

From one Bob to another, I've owned an Ivanpah and I don't think I could go back to a buggy that I sit on instead of in. I love the security of being able to ride powered and can slide the buggy to bleed off excess power instead of being at risk of getting dragged out of the buggy. Adding Bigfoot lites is a definite plus for ride quality and dealing with soft sand or rough ground. If you can haul it easily, that's most of the downside taken care of right there.

OK!
How about my idea of pulling the front frame member/fork/wheel off along with the rear wheels for home storage? Too much of a job?
Storage space is at a premium.
Bob
BeamerBob
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 13-2-2013 at 09:45 AM

You can take the fork off with one bolt. You would have to loosen 4 bolts to get your downtube off. When I drove crosscountry with mine, I took the fork off so the bfl and fork wasn't sticking up in the air creating drag.

Coastal Wind Sports Team Rider
Landsegler Disc wheels
PTW Hero Buggy - XXtreme ApeXX Buggy US 88 - Libre Hardcore
IvanpahBuggyExpo.com
Youtube link
Bob Muse
HQ Montana X 8m, Montana IX 12m, HQ Ignition LEI 5m,
PL Phantom 12m, 15m, Big Blu 24m+, Synergy 10m, Venom 10m, 13m , Phantom II 12m Vapors 3.8, 5.4, Crosskite Sonic 7m, PKD Combat 10.3m
Uturn Butane 2.5m PKD Buster 3m Genetrix Hydra 7m Ozone Yakuza GT 14m
Bmwbob

[*] posted on 13-2-2013 at 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BeamerBob
You can take the fork off with one bolt. You would have to loosen 4 bolts to get your downtube off. When I drove crosscountry with mine, I took the fork off so the bfl and fork wasn't sticking up in the air creating drag.

Thanks, Bob!
I just re-posted over in the Buggy forum per your suggestion.
Bob
kite killer

Mood: Faster than Eli

[*] posted on 13-2-2013 at 07:03 PM

I have a hitch mount for an Ivanpah, with trailer ball behind, so you can still tow. Upright has a crank winch, is huge, but could be shipped. I had roof rack supports to stabilize the upright. Could be welded, but would be big for storage. Don't need it anymore. Kent @ awindofchange has a used Ivanpah for sale I believe. He alsolso a nice P.L. Outlaw buggy...Similar size to the Libre

Punk Rage quiver
Few NPW5\'s

P.L. Ultra-light with midi
Manta Super-custom
Marc Potter is the killer!
awindofchange
Posting Freak

Mood: Awesome - totally awesome

[*] posted on 14-2-2013 at 11:53 AM

The Outlaw and Parastorm buggies have been sold for a while now. The Used Ivanpah is still available. :)

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio