Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: the ULTIMATE snowkite harness !
herc

Mood: wanting a Charger

shocked.gif posted on 1-10-2013 at 07:56 AM
the ULTIMATE snowkite harness !

did a long search for a climbing harness to replace my stupid uncomfy mystic seat harness for snowkiting.
the usual climbing harness has little back support and rather thin cushions on the leg loops. though you can get them dirt cheap and they are probably still way better than the usual kiting harness, where the spreader bar tends to poke into your stomac if the kite is in the zenith.

now, i found this monsterous, impressive harness for industrial climbers:

http://shop.freeworker.com/kolibri-multislide.html

klick for big picture

isnt that amazing ? not only are the leg loops massively padded, but also the big ring attachment point can slide freely into any direction. very nice indeed for snowkiters on ski , when parkinig the kite to the side.

downside: the price. its also massive :wow:

so - any professional snowkiter should think about getting this wonderful toy.

Kites:
Tubes: Ozone Zephyr 17 * Naish Helix 2009 10.5 qm * Cabrinha Access 2003 9qm * Wipika Hydro 2001 9qm *
Arcs: PL Scorpion 13, 16 qm; PL Synergy 10 qm
open cell: PL Twister I 7.7 * PKD Buster II 3qm
Paragliders: Gradient Bright Classic (with check) * Swing Mistral 1 (groundhandling) *Advance Alpha 3 (groundhandling)
herc

[*] posted on 1-10-2013 at 08:02 AM

a similiar harness, showing the freedom of action such a tree-climbing harness allows:

(source: http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/general-chat/1345-tip-day-27.html )

Kites:
Tubes: Ozone Zephyr 17 * Naish Helix 2009 10.5 qm * Cabrinha Access 2003 9qm * Wipika Hydro 2001 9qm *
Paragliders: Gradient Bright Classic (with check) * Swing Mistral 1 (groundhandling) *Advance Alpha 3 (groundhandling)
zero gee

[*] posted on 1-10-2013 at 09:02 AM

Nice. However, in the configuration shown with the guy wearing it for climbing it would place the controlbar way too far away from you with the bar fully powered all the time. That can reduce the amount of available throw unless you have super long arms. Riding with that extra power increases the barload. You would have to depower the kite to make up for that. Then, you lose that amount of depower available to you when you need it. Things get worse when riding toeside too.

Not sure if there is enough adjustment in that harness to shorten things enough to get things closer. Will it provide the same mobility then?? To keep the same depower /riding config, you need to keep your chickenloop about a spreaderbar hook away. The further away, the worse things get.

I use a sliding rope setup on my harness and this is what I noticed if the line stretches beyond the length of a hook. I have had to roll my shoulders and stretch my fingers to make up for it without depowering the kite. Even if the line does not stretch, the problem presents itself when riding toeside since that distance is further away than a hook length. When riding toeside, I often ride one handed and with my fingers stretched on the bar to makeup for that.

2016 CORE Section wave 6m and 9m
CORE Sensor2 controlbar
2016 5'2" North WHIP surfboard
Zeeko Spitfire XLW foil and 5'0 custom foilboard
Electric Outback MountainBoard
Any old $100 snowboard
acampbell

Mood: Digging Deserts and Mts.

[*] posted on 1-10-2013 at 09:16 AM

I know a lot of folks that started kiting with a climbing harness, thinking it was a logical application. 100% of the time they moved to a proper kite harness with spreader bar.

Angus Campbell
Coastal Wind Sports
where life is better when it blows!
912-577-3920 new number

Find out about Jekyll Island
B-Roc

[*] posted on 1-10-2013 at 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by zero gee

I use a sliding rope setup on my harness and this is what I noticed if the line stretches beyond the length of a hook. I have had to roll my shoulders and stretch my fingers to make up for it without depowering the kite. Even if the line does not stretch, the problem presents itself when riding toeside since that distance is further away than a hook length. When riding toeside, I often ride one handed and with my fingers stretched on the bar to makeup for that.

There is also the dynabar which one can buy if they don't want to make one like zero gee did. Someone did a write up of it on this forum last year. Might have even been zg. It has the same sliding action you are looking for but works with stock kite harnesses.

Depower Quiver: 14m Gin Eskimo, 10m Gin Eskimo III, 6m Gin Yeti, 4.5m Gin Yeti (custom bridle and mixer)
Fixed Bridle Quiver: MAC Bego 400, JOJO ET Instinct 2.5 & 5.5, Lil Devil 1.5, Sting 1.2
Rides: Ground Industries
crabnebula

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 1-10-2013 at 11:11 AM

Ive been custom sewing mine together with a combo of a climbing harness and a kite harness, as per really high jumps the spreader bar is a mute point of gear as it can break and Im fine. The hooks on the spreader bars as well as the bar for the kites are typically the weaker parts.

The rescue harnesses as shown in pictures above are ok but the Center of Gravity is very low (think seat harness) putting a lot of strain on the stomach and C spine (neck muscles). They are typically partnered with a chest harness which is impractical for kiting, but do able.

Im making a new harness currently and if I can ill post the results...

Be safe

New England Kite Lessons
http://www.kiteboardne.com/

New England Kite Mountaineering
http://www.ime-usa.com/imcs/snow_kiting.html

USA IKON-KITEBOADING Team Rider
http://www.ikon-kiteboarding.com/index.php?option=com_virtue...
Proletariat

[*] posted on 1-19-2013 at 11:13 PM

Quote:
I know a lot of folks that started kiting with a climbing harness, thinking it was a logical application. 100% of the time they moved to a proper kite harness with spreader bar.

Guilty. Arc'teryx -> HQ.
herc

[*] posted on 1-31-2013 at 06:22 AM

i got a sweet deal for a "singing rock timber II" tree-climber harness.

so i bought one and will test it out as soon as the weather complies.

below is a video where i put on the harness indoors and tested especially the distance of the chickenloop. as was mentioned before, its indeed a bit far away.

but that can be resolved with a shorter "red line" and an additional line running through the waist belt similiar to those sliding hook harnesses discussed in the kiteforum thread: http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2379075
i will find a solution and post it. have several ideas already.

as you can see in this video, the big ring slides similiar to a sliding hook harness. the big pro of this tree-climbing harness is comfort ! its the most comfy harness you can imagine.

* the wide leg straps take most of the load (depending of the position you put the kite in) , so you have a very efficient and healty transmission of the kite forces directly to the legs and then to your board / ski / snowboard etc. should be interesting for kite-racing.
and it will never slide up and squeeze your ribs and stomach like a stupid (sorry) waist harness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNeCPTe3w14

Kites:
zero gee

[*] posted on 1-31-2013 at 05:13 PM

I like it. The Ozone harnesses (climbing harness based) always appealed to me for the lack of bulkyness compared to kite harnesses. Never tried one though. I like my session harnes because of the way the legs straps are suspended to the front of the harness (like a climbing harness). It's the most comfy harness I have used. But bulky as hell.

That red strap looks like it is shackled for easy replacement (to a shorter strap if needed). That's a nice feature.

However, it almost seems like it might be similar height to a waist harness hook since it links to the harness at a point below the belt?? Maybe all that needs to happen is to not use the ring and chickenloop directly to the strap (that what I do with my sliding rope setup)?? Maybe needs to be a little shorter??

That distance looks like it could change if you ride ride extended and then in a more seated position. Does it?

Do you think it will "squeeze" you when loaded up without the spreaderbar? If it does, that could change the distance too??

What do you think about using it in water? Corrosion, sand in those buckles?

CORE Sensor2 controlbar
Any old $100 snowboard
Kamikuza

[*] posted on 2-1-2013 at 07:32 AM

I've contemplated the Jay Dynabar but... I'm betting I could bend it :o

Yeah... I got a kite. Or two...
zero gee

[*] posted on 2-1-2013 at 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kamikuza
I've contemplated the Jay Dynabar but... I'm betting I could bend it :o

A new version is being reinforced.

CORE Sensor2 controlbar
Any old $100 snowboard
Kamikuza

[*] posted on 2-1-2013 at 07:35 PM

... then the next problem is if it fits the Dakine hooks. I've heard it doesn't...

Yeah... I got a kite. Or two...
Timouthy

Mood: I need to kite like I need air!

[*] posted on 2-2-2013 at 07:49 AM

Is there a dealer that sells them in the USA ?

3.5 hq rush pro
7.5 hq apex 3
5.0 hq apex 3
Montana vll 14 m
Best Bularoo 10 m
11 m hq apex 4
herc

[*] posted on 2-4-2013 at 06:52 AM

yesterday there was a moment without rain, but extremely gusty wind.
i tested my tree-climbing harness with a HQ apex 1, 7 sqm on 7 meter long lines with a bar-free setup.
result:
* harness is extremely comfy - just perfect.
* control with handles instead of a bar gives me total, forceful(!) control over the kite ! i can instantly stall it, whip it around. and my arms can move freely!

looking forward to better weather and testing the setup on ski or mountainboard.

http://youtu.be/LKDroQGIq7c

Quote:

I like it. The Ozone harnesses (climbing harness based) always appealed to me for the lack of bulkyness compared to kite harnesses. Never tried one though. I like my session harnes because of the way the legs straps are suspended to the front of the harness (like a climbing harness). It's the most comfy harness I have used. But bulky as hell.

the tree-climbing harness is less bulky than my other seat harness, but it has some weight (1.8kg) while wearing the harness, i didnt even noticed it. but if you have to walk a bit to the spot you might notice an additional 1.8 kg.

Quote:

That red strap looks like it is shackled for easy replacement (to a shorter strap if needed). That's a nice feature. However, it almost seems like it might be similar height to a waist harness hook since it links to the harness at a point below the belt?? Maybe all that needs to happen is to not use the ring and chickenloop directly to the strap (that what I do with my sliding rope setup)?? Maybe needs to be a little shorter??

using handles the distance doesnt matter. i will test it with a bar, but then i am sure that the red line needs to be replaced with a shorter stroop. and yes, good idea - just chickenloop into rope, no alu-ring.

Quote:

That distance looks like it could change if you ride ride extended and then in a more seated position. Does it?

yes, seems to change. i am with the little test of yesterday not sure if that will be a problem. with handles it seems to work, but cannot say exactly until real riding with board or ski...

Quote:

Do you think it will "squeeze" you when loaded up without the spreaderbar? If it does, that could change the distance too??

squeezing together was absolutely not a problem. i didnt feel any discomfort at al.

Quote:

What do you think about using it in water? Corrosion, sand in those buckles?

probably not suitable for water. it looks like a mixture of iron and aluminum. would probably corrode badly.. :no:
but at the end.. if one would dry it properly and clean it from saltwater with freshwater - it could work.. maybe i will test it in 3 months when summer arrives here :-)

Kites:
herc

[*] posted on 2-17-2013 at 04:49 AM

its ready for a testrun:

https://picasaweb.google.com/111510368262264907350/17Februar...

i took an old naish depower thingy, removed the bar and added grab handles made from aluminum tubes.
now waiting for wind and good weather for test.

Kites:
erratic winds

Mood: ATGATT! Armor up!

[*] posted on 2-17-2013 at 07:02 AM

Love the new ideas, can't wait to see video.... even if it does not work perfectly innovation is never a waste of time, expanding possible ideas drives everything forward...

Tide? What's a tide? Man, it's 1000 miles to any ocean.

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio