Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Proper form while snowkiting
p8ntballsk8r

[*] posted on 12-24-2012 at 09:57 AM
Proper form while snowkiting

So I was pretty much self taught, with a little bit of guidance from our snowkite club leaders. I've since moved out to Breckenridge, Co and am looking to kite on Lake Dillon as well as exploring some low angle back country terrain. I'm currently working as a snowboard instructor, and am working towards my level 2 certification with AASI (American Association of Snowboard Instructors).

I've been studying movement analysis lately, and during one of my MA sessions, we talked about how the snowboard will not perform by itself, it requires input from it's rider. I've learned a lot about efficiency when snowboarding, using basic fundamental movements in the ankles, knees, and hips to ride over the snowboard.

Now as a self taught kiter, I know that my form is lacking. I ride with my butt sticking out to shift my center of mass over my heel edge, with my shoulders rounded and a slight bent at the waist. Now with snowboarding, I know this is horribly inefficient. Is this the same when attached to an 11m foil? Should I be riding in alignment with my center of mass over the effective edge? Does adding the kite element of being pulled downwind change any of the 4 snowboard performances?
Feyd

[*] posted on 12-24-2012 at 10:17 AM

That's an interesting question.

I would think your mass would be beyond the effective edge countering the power exerted by the kite on you and converting that power (through edging the board) into forward motion. The more force the kite produces, the more you have to lean away, lower your COG and edge the board.

On skis, heavily powered my body postioning is no different really than if I were going downhill and doing a high speed super-G type turn. The only difference is I'm edging against forces generated by the kite, not g-forces generated in a turn. The sensation and mechanics are very much the same IMO.

If all is working well you shouldn't be getting pulled downwind at all.

Chris Krug-Owner @ Hardwater Kiting. Authorized Dealer of Ozone, Flysurfer, HQ kites.
www.hardwaterkiter.com 603-986-2784
erratic winds

Mood: ATGATT! Armor up!

[*] posted on 12-24-2012 at 11:16 PM

I would maybe take a lesson from Anton @ Kiteforce to try and clean up your form a little, but hey, if you're riding....then you're riding and you must be doing fine.

But yes, the change in power source does not change the fundamentals of board control, and you (we all!) can do better if we hunch less and stand tall. When I find myself hunching forward from power-I know being overpowered and wrecking straight downwind is only a gust away. I put the kite at 12, trim in a touch, and try to get back to speed with straight back. Less power, but more effective power delivery into the edge.

See you at the Dillon Snowkite Race Series? Starts Jan 5! Check the kiteforce site for more info!

Tide? What's a tide? Man, it's 1000 miles to any ocean.
crabnebula

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 12-25-2012 at 05:56 PM

hey dude, just get your center of gravity lined up with the gravity itself and the center of pull from the kite and you'll be fine...

It could be made into a science (or art) about the likely proper way to board behind a kite, but really, it is too far ahead of kiting as it is still just about fun and enjoyment,
so on your COP over your edge, no it is directed to the ground at an angle proportional to that of the pull of the kite.....more pressure from kite, more edge from board. keep you butt in to be in balance, and do this with your stomach....use your quads, and get a little on the rear foot (pending the direction) and think like powder snow, you'll get the rear of the board doing the carving up or down wind,

remember that the most fun Ive ever seen someone have kiting ,was a student a few days ago, by form be totally off, but by smile be totally ON!

New England Kite Lessons
http://www.kiteboardne.com/

New England Kite Mountaineering
http://www.ime-usa.com/imcs/snow_kiting.html

USA IKON-KITEBOADING Team Rider
http://www.ikon-kiteboarding.com/index.php?option=com_virtue...

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio