7.5 hq apex 3
5.0 hq apex 3
Montana vll 14 m
Best Bularoo 10 m
11 m hq apex 4
erratic winds

Mood: ATGATT! Armor up!

[*] posted on 12-16-2012 at 06:30 PM

That's a big question! What size are you? What do you want to do? What surface do you want to do it on? Have you ever flown a multi-line kite like a stunt kite before? Have you ever sailed or have any understanding of how wind produces power? Where are you? Have you looked for a local school to take lessons?

Tide? What's a tide? Man, it's 1000 miles to any ocean.
Timouthy

Mood: I need to kite like I need air!

[*] posted on 12-16-2012 at 06:37 PM

I bought a 3.5 m trainer last year it did well on windy days. Now I bought a new apex 7.5 it has alot of power but when i fly it the wind here should be 10 to 20 mph, to get the speed a want. Now I want a kite, that will give me power I want in winds 5- 10 mph. Looking at a 12.5 montana or 10 apex ?

3.5 hq rush pro
7.5 hq apex 3
5.0 hq apex 3
Montana vll 14 m
Best Bularoo 10 m
11 m hq apex 4
snowspider

[*] posted on 12-16-2012 at 08:04 PM

The 10 Apex is designed to be the next step up , but a late model Montana (if you can't do both) might have enough range (great depower and great control) to cover the gap. On snow that 7.5 you will need to sine up and down in the low wind range to get out of it all that it has , at that point you could consider pulling out a 12m if your skills are tuned up.

2.6 , 3.9 , 5.3 , 6.8 PL Vipers
5 , 7.5 HQ Apex II
14m HQ Montana VII
5m naish element
7m ss turbo diesel
10m pansh blaze

5m beamer dearly departed into a tree
3 "snowspider" homebuilt kite sleds
3 homebuilt buggies
1 skate board with seat on wheels or blades (the c0ckroach)
crabnebula

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 12-16-2012 at 08:23 PM

Very cool that you started prudent...
3.5 check
7.5 check
Very good!!
So usually I inform people after the trainer kite... they may want to look less at the kite size and more at local conditions and personal skill level. This has to assume that you are able to step into the truth of your ability. As 80% of people tend to inaccurately estimate their ability be it over or under estimate. A very dramatic gap either way.

You've indicated the need for a kite in light winds (5-10) so really assuming your local riding conditions and skill level with de power foils is up there in skill level.... 12m foils in my mind start the light wind kite category and kite sizes go well in to the 20 m + size range.

A nessesary step for light wind kite selections may include the self assessment of good flying, launching, landing both alone and assisted, safety system mastery (lots of practice) as these can all help you get an idea of what you think your ready for.

It could be time for the 12+ m foil or 13-15 m leading edge inflatable.

However your skill level with a larger kite is paramount to the success and safety as well as sustainable integrity with regards to the kite and you, in other words you don't break the kite or yourself.

12-15 m open cell foils are awesome and amazing products but also can very dangerous.... Even in the light winds..

That said tour presented choices, the Montana 12.5 is great! But you may find the 10 m Apex a little under powered.

But concider whether you ride/fly typically under powered or over powered?

Are you really fatigued after a tug of war with the kites per session or are you trembling from excitement and energy still in reserve for kiting later, when your done for the day, ready for more?
If you tend to find yourself riding/flying under powered a 12- 15 m kite in light winds might surprise you in it's strength of pulling power compared to the wind speed.

Whatever you do, treat each kite (size changes included) differently, treat each launch as a new one, be alert and start slow.... In light winds ideally....and get a feel for whatever kite you choose to purchase! Learn the new kite in winds that are almost not there....and master everything you can ... This mastery means there are likely no surprises you'll find in the kites reactions to wind, steering, quick releasing behavior, etc... You'll know the kite like you know your favorite way if making tea....you'll be prepared for days when the wind changes and increases dramatically.... Which it will!

It's an exciting time! Filled with adventures!

Have fun and be safe!

Good luck!

And feel free to keep asking questions .....

New England Kite Lessons
http://www.kiteboardne.com/

New England Kite Mountaineering
http://www.ime-usa.com/imcs/snow_kiting.html

USA IKON-KITEBOADING Team Rider
http://www.ikon-kiteboarding.com/index.php?option=com_virtue...
Feyd

[*] posted on 12-17-2012 at 06:05 AM

Hi Tim, welcome to the forum.

We still need more information to give you and educated opinion. How much do you weigh? What kind of surface are you riding flat, hilly, deep snow, ice? Are you on skis or a snowboard? Gusty or smooth winds? Even what type of harness can be useful.

Bang for the buck light wind performance you can't beat the Slingshot Ranger. Fusion has a pair of Rangers he's selling. http://www.powerkiteforum.com/viewthread.php?tid=24250

I've flown the 12m head to head against 15m Flysurfer Silver Arrows and it holds it's own. Flyjump has had a lot of time on the 12m Ranger and I'm sure he'd agree it's a light wind weapon. He rides for HQ now and has a fair amount of time on thier bigger wings now so he could give you a good comparison. The Ranger handles gusts very much like the Apex. Has a touring kite feel but can boost for days. Crazy floaty boosts. Turns fast for a big girl.

A trainer-7.5-9-12m quiver would cover you in 99% of anything you could encounter regardless of weight or surface.

Chris Krug-Owner @ Hardwater Kiting. Authorized Dealer of Ozone, Flysurfer, HQ kites.
www.hardwaterkiter.com 603-986-2784
flyjump

[*] posted on 12-17-2012 at 07:38 AM

I've also owned the 12m slingshot ranger and it is a great low wind kite. If you want power in uber low winds the ranger will deliever. The only thing that I really noticed about the kite that I didn't like to much was the turning ability. I'm used to super fast twitchy kites and the ranger seemed a slow turner for me, however, i like wicked fast kites that will boost you to the moon. It will get you moving in mosquito fart winds, but don't expect to be slinging that kite around in the air very fast.

I've spent this year riding the 15m HQ matrixx and 14m HQ montana 7. If you are interested in extreme light wind you may want to look at the montana. It is a huge open cell kite with a turning speed that i've never seen in any other big open cell kite. I'm a 180 pound rider and this kite has me moving no problem in 8mph on a very bumpy think grass field. My old 19m charger couldn't get me moving in that grass unless there was 12mph wind or more.

The montana loves to fly forward very easily so in low wind it will help you continue your momentum as you first start riding. It is also a very stable kite. It helps build confidence. If you jump or get lifted this kite seems like a paraglider and will let you down softly.

If you are looking at the matrixx it is also a light wind kite however, i think the montana "feels" more user friendly. the matrixx has very low bar pressure, but the montana has a bit more so you feel a bit more confortable with it. It has incredible lift, almost scary sometimes, but I think you'd really enjoy the montana.

If money is an issue you may look at that ranger. Size for size it is a great kite for the money and feels super durable. I was very fond of the safety system on the ranger though. you need a leash attached to the brake handles when you pull your safety. the montana the safety is above the bar and kills the kite without power.

Just some thoughts!

Timouthy

Mood: I need to kite like I need air!

[*] posted on 12-18-2012 at 05:52 PM

Thanks for the help I will try the montana. I am a skier and ride the lake and just dropped one of my bad habits so if Im not skiing im eating and that puts at 200 lbs mark . I think the winds here are smooth staight winds . My next question is Ive found kites online is there a differance betweeen the 2011 and 2012 montana ? The 2011 is $200 cheaper .

3.5 hq rush pro
7.5 hq apex 3
5.0 hq apex 3
Montana vll 14 m
Best Bularoo 10 m
11 m hq apex 4
flyjump

[*] posted on 12-18-2012 at 06:00 PM

I havn't tried the 2011 montanas but i have heard that when you trim way out to dump power they sometimes get tip tuck. but I havn't tried them so I can't really comment. I havn't seen that in the new montanas at all. Also the 2012 has the 14m montana which is for very light winds. other than that I can't really give much info.

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio