Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Kite Skiing, Kite Snowboarding Interest
shehatesmyhobbies

Mood: Serious Buggy withdraws!

[*] posted on 11-28-2012 at 07:40 PM
Kite Skiing, Kite Snowboarding Interest

Hello again,

If NAPKA added Kite Skiing and Kite Snowboarding to it's disciplines, would that interest you.

I am in very preliminary talks with the NAPKA insurance company in seeing if they could add both to our policy. At this piont there is a possibility. I first would like to get the members thoughts on this. I know some of you do kite ski and kite snowboard, so I figure it was worth looking into. If there is enough interest, I will continue with the process, if not, then I will let them know that we are going to discontinue at the present time with our request to add.

With the addition of the ATB, Dirtsurfer, and Coyotes to NAPKA, I figured this could be the next addition if it will help out our members.

Please let me know what you think!

As always thanks!

Rich
NAPKA President
US 66
www.napka.org

302 480 6008

Phantoms!
My ride: GT Rapide
Check out the Wildwood Buggy Bash Facebook page!
markite

[*] posted on 11-28-2012 at 09:04 PM

I think that in areas that have very limited buggy places (like anywhere in the middle between the two pig ponds) we don't have much opportunity to have an organized buggy event but we have far easier access to winter kiting. I think it would only be a positive expansion of coverage if it worked out.

Mark Groshens NAPKA KC 13
WindSpeed kites & design - Canada
Peter Lynn Arcs: Charger2 22.5 +18 + 15 + 6.5, Charger I 6, Scorpion 16 + 10, Phantom II 12 + 9, Orig Phantom 9 + 6, Synergy 10 + 8, F 1200, S 840
Ocean Rodeo: Flite 17 + 12, Rise 13 + 10 + 7, Razor 9 + 6
Foils: PL Leopards and Lynx, Airea Raptors, some PL Reactor IIs + IIIs, Libre Spirits, Cross Kite Sonics, Ozone Flow
Peter Lynn Kite Cat for cruising the lakes
buggies: PL XR+, Cameleon Pagona, custom bigfoot, PL Bigfoot, custom ice buggy
Boards: 2 custom directionals, O.R Surf series 6-3 and 5-11, Mako Duke, Mako Skinny, Mako 140 Wide, Mako 150 Wide, Mako King, Brunotti
lots of old school skis, snowboard
stetson05

Mood: wanted: wind please

[*] posted on 11-28-2012 at 09:21 PM

I agree that the snow would be a good option. More people, more strength in numbers.

US40
HQ 1.4m which my 8 and 10 year old fly
Pansh Flux 2m, Legend 3m,
HQ Hydra 300 PZ depower, Neo 8m, 11m
Flysurfer S3 Deluxe 19m, S2 15m
Flexboardz Haize
Radbuggy
SIMS snowboard
Crazy Fly 145
skimtwashington

[*] posted on 11-28-2012 at 09:36 PM
Power Kiting is Power kiting...

No matter what your standing or sitting on.

I think it's a MUST to include this.

(...and don't forget about Powerkite ICE SKATING -big interest of members and recruits- and blood relative of kite skiing )

Including is the only way to grow membership, and also what most present members want.

(...and why not kite surfing?)
rocfighter

Mood: Elimenate warning signs, Promote natural selection

[*] posted on 11-29-2012 at 05:48 AM

I agree that this is a good idea. There are a large number in NewEngland that kite ski and board. S I imagine nation wide the numbers are much greater. And with the new addition of Canada These numbers will increase greatly.
Let me ask you this though. Does buggying include using ice blades on the buggy or would this move in to another discipline? It's still buggying just faster and smoother (sometimes!)

NAPKA # US65
HQ ApexII 7.5
Skydog/ SDT2.8, SDT4.0, SDT5.5, SDF3.0

Pansh Ace 5.0 X2
North Husky 6.0
PL Guerilla 13, 18
PL C-Quad 2.3, 3.2, 4.2
Home made Rat Buggy
Libre V Max on barrow Plus wider taller sand tires & bigfoot front end
Blades Of Death, \"thanks Fran\"
Bladerunner

[*] posted on 11-29-2012 at 07:41 AM

double post

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
Bladerunner

[*] posted on 11-29-2012 at 07:43 AM

I think that snowkiting fits nicely the into power kite description of the club.

Our locations + condititions make it unlikely we could take full advantage on the West Coast of Canada but I think many chapters would embrace this.
I think the club wants to be there for all power kiters and snowkite is a natural, seasonal extension of what we do.

I guess what needs to be figured out is if there is enough interest that the added members would cover the increased unsurance costs ?

Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
shortlineflyer

[*] posted on 11-29-2012 at 08:10 AM

I am trying to get into snowboard kiting this winter

Elliot Kites sigma 360 --- Rev Blast 2-4 --- HQ Scout 5.0 --- HQ Crossfire II 10.0 --- HQ hydra 350
2010 Liquid Force Havoc 10m -- Slingshot ranger 12m -- Peter Lynn Scorpion 16m -- EH Cabarete Freestyle

MBS Elements mountainboard
MBS atom cruiser (stake trucks and wheels)
Peter Lynn XR+ kite buggy (std wheels and wide treads)
KiteTrike
thanson2001ok

Mood: SAD! Moving and kites are in a box.

[*] posted on 11-29-2012 at 08:56 AM

I love the idea and would recommend this be considered!

Todd... NAPKA US59 \"Have you taught a kid to fly lately?\"
Ozone 4m, 10m AccessXC
PL 19m, 16m Venom | 10m, 13m Venom II | 17m Vortex | 2.6m Viper | 2.3m Vapor | 6m, 9m, 15m Phantom | 22m Guerilla
Flysurfer 8m, 12m DLX Unity |8m Outlaw| 19m Speed 2.5 SA | 2.5m, 6m Viron
Action Vortex 6.6m Foil (FOR SALE) | Mac Bego 600
Flexifoil 1.2m, 2.4m Sting | 6.6m Blade III
The Original Flexifoil and Hawaiian Team Kite
Snow: Volant Alpine Skis | SnowBlades | PL Ice Buggy | PL KiteSled Land: Coyote Skates | Ivanpah Buggy
Water: Peter Lynn KiteCat
shehatesmyhobbies

[*] posted on 11-29-2012 at 01:43 PM

Point taken on the Kite skating.

I also believe this is a good fit. Ken you are exactly right. We have to make sure there is enough interest to cover the possible expense if the insurance were to go up.

I am going to go ahead and get a quote, then work numbers in my head.

I still want to hear from more on this. So far so good!

Rich
NAPKA President
US 66
www.napka.org

302 480 6008

Phantoms!
markite

[*] posted on 11-29-2012 at 02:20 PM

Another point that might help - there are hundreds of winter kiters around southern Ontario and these people surf as well but other than a very small handful, the majority don't follow this forum. Having the extended coverage then I could post messages in other places that could tap into other numbers. I'm sure it's the same for others that they know winter kiters that may not follow this forum but they might be interested in NAPKA if coverage was good for them.

Mark Groshens NAPKA KC 13
WindSpeed kites & design - Canada
Peter Lynn Arcs: Charger2 22.5 +18 + 15 + 6.5, Charger I 6, Scorpion 16 + 10, Phantom II 12 + 9, Orig Phantom 9 + 6, Synergy 10 + 8, F 1200, S 840
Ocean Rodeo: Flite 17 + 12, Rise 13 + 10 + 7, Razor 9 + 6
Foils: PL Leopards and Lynx, Airea Raptors, some PL Reactor IIs + IIIs, Libre Spirits, Cross Kite Sonics, Ozone Flow
Peter Lynn Kite Cat for cruising the lakes
buggies: PL XR+, Cameleon Pagona, custom bigfoot, PL Bigfoot, custom ice buggy
Boards: 2 custom directionals, O.R Surf series 6-3 and 5-11, Mako Duke, Mako Skinny, Mako 140 Wide, Mako 150 Wide, Mako King, Brunotti
lots of old school skis, snowboard
shehatesmyhobbies

[*] posted on 11-29-2012 at 03:36 PM

Yes Mark, I am going to send an email up to Claude Gravel. I know he will pass the word as well.

If you can help with that Mark it would be great. I was talking with Howard A. and he said he was going to try and get you to come to the next WBB. Would love to have you down.

Shoot me an email, or U2U and I will see if I can help spread the word up there.

Rich
NAPKA President
US 66
www.napka.org

302 480 6008

Phantoms!
Bladerunner

[*] posted on 11-29-2012 at 05:45 PM

NAPKA is mostly about event insurance and securing locations.

The potential for snowkite events is very real. I am not so certian that kite skating events are as likely to happen ? I would be all for including snowkiting but am not so sure about kite skating ?

I discovered last year what Feyd has known all along. Sharp straight skis are the bomb on ice ! No disrespect to kite skaters but I think the sport is slightly more dangerous than snowkite. Certianly far less popular. I see it a bit like sand skiing. Valid but not enough of a following to pay extra for it on insurance.

Mark is right on and one of my 1st thoughts was that there is a huge snowkite community but very few of them visit this forum or have a clue what NAPKA is all about. Getting the word out and people on board will be the challenge.

Ken (K2)
shehatesmyhobbies

[*] posted on 11-29-2012 at 06:19 PM

True Ken, the one thing that helps a single person or a small group is that Kite Skating event can be just one person. Same for any event. A "practice" works the same way. It gives you Liabilit Ins. that enables you to gain access to areas you may not be allowed to access without insurance. I know you are well aware of this Ken. Just putting it out there for those that need to know.

I think that with some help of a few people in those areas, we can spread the word a little more quickly!

Thanks for the help guys!

Rich
NAPKA President
US 66
www.napka.org

302 480 6008

Phantoms!
Bladerunner

[*] posted on 11-29-2012 at 06:34 PM

I was not thinking about the " one person event " and practice side of the rules. It certianly is a benefit that shouldn't be ignored.

The club is for the members. If enough show interest in kiteskating then we can always ask!

Ken (K2)
skimtwashington

[*] posted on 11-30-2012 at 12:11 AM
You mean the more varieties of 'transport' for our powerkites, the more the insurance premium goes up?

Why? :puzzled:

Quote:

No disrespect to kite skaters but I think the sport is slightly more dangerous than snowkite. Certianly far less popular. I see it a bit like sand skiing. Valid but not enough of a following to pay extra for it on insurance.

I would not compare kite skating to kite sand-skiing. :wink2:
The former is fairly common in the commuity here and the latter is rare. :o:wee:

This makes it more than valid enough.:yes:

....but that's off the point. The point is why is any type of powerkiting more dangerous? Why should Insurance rate change? We should not have to pay extra.

Just being on a harder surface like ice may be better argued to be more dangerous than sitting low to the ground in a buggy on sand.I may not argue that ,though. What your using on the ice may be a far second consideration. One is more dangerous? In fact for me... I have a superior control on ice skates over sharp skis on ice. And what I love and prefer of the two.

I don't know if there are relative statistics that say one type of powerkiting is more dangerous than another? The sheer higher numbers of participants in a particular dicipline of powerkiting- like kite surfing- may show higher(the most) incidents . But that is because of highest number of participants are in kite surfing. But a relationship of number of participants to accidents in any type of powerkiting is not easily avaible or statitically existing that I know of. That percentage would then show what type of powerkiting is the most dangerous. Not by the highest number of accidents themselves- for each type of power kiting- but the highest number by percentage of number of participant to accidents in each type.

If there are no statistics that show no one type of kiting is any more dangerous- that should be stated( and argued if needed) to NAPKA and the insurer to keep the costs from going up.

**I do understand Bladerunners ultimate and important point of not having the rates for Napka membership and our insurance costs go up. But It's more important than you think. At first it may seem not as important as having access..... but it's not simply about our wallets....... Because if someone is using a 'means of transport' that NAPKA doesn't cover at an event( by their irreverence) and has an accident...we may lose access after all! Cover it all.

Its' apparant that some decsion makers are of the possible opinion that one thing is more dangerous than another. I don't believe it and would like to disavow them of that thinking without any hard facts.
skimtwashington

skimtwashington

skimtwashington

Thanks for the efforts Rich.
shehatesmyhobbies

[*] posted on 11-30-2012 at 04:52 AM

Great points Brian. I believe that if there is any increase in our insurance cost it will be mostly based on amount of people involved. When the numbers go up the risk of an incident goes up in their eyes anyway. The biggeat question they ask me is , how many events and participants at each event. Of course this is going to be based on speculation on our end at the current time as we do not know how many people will want to use NAPKA for their event. Morrie and myself are going to get the info together and send it off for a quote. I will be sending things off next week to see where we are.

I really want to see this work out. I do believe there is strength in numbers and I believe NAPKA members deserve to get the most we can give.

Rich
NAPKA President
US 66
www.napka.org

302 480 6008

Phantoms!
rocfighter

Mood: Elimenate warning signs, Promote natural selection

[*] posted on 11-30-2012 at 07:03 AM

The only issue I can see coming of this is that on ice there is the chance of surface failure as in falling through. Other than that I see no other difference. And other than the Dutch we are careful about ice thickness( sorry Fast Arie I just saw that video again!):P:dunno:

NAPKA # US65
HQ ApexII 7.5
Skydog/ SDT2.8, SDT4.0, SDT5.5, SDF3.0

Pansh Ace 5.0 X2
North Husky 6.0
PL Guerilla 13, 18
PL C-Quad 2.3, 3.2, 4.2
Home made Rat Buggy
Libre V Max on barrow Plus wider taller sand tires & bigfoot front end
Blades Of Death, \"thanks Fran\"
area429

Mood: Work too much, kite too little. :(

[*] posted on 11-30-2012 at 08:43 AM

Great idea!

I have been on this forum for a while and seen the awsome community that the Buggy-ers have created with the NAPKA and have wondered if the same could be achieved with snowkiting or kitesurfing.

I think the snowkiting side lends itself more to the type of community and events that NAPKA members tend to create. I would love to spend a weekend with like minded kiters, and the cost of a membership or other event fees would not be a deterent in the slightest.

3.5m Hydra
8m Neo II
12m Matrixx
145 Cabrinha Rival
Burton Snowboard
K2 Snowboard
Bladerunner

[*] posted on 11-30-2012 at 05:49 PM

I hope I didn't come over as anti-kite skating or anything. If it is or isn't more dangerous I am not the one to decide. I do it on tarmac so have NO room to judge ! I was probably out of place saying how I felt about it. This thread is supposed to be about interest in snowkite events.

The great thing about NAPKA is that it is OUR club and can grow into whatever we hope it to be ? If there is enough interest in kite skating then I'm sure we can at least ask to have it included. The timing is good since Rich is talking to the insurer anyway. It should probably be discussed in it's own thread though?

Ken (K2)
arkay

[*] posted on 11-30-2012 at 06:18 PM

interest, yes. the 'R' was dropped. What does NAPKA stand for again ;)

US503 - Manzanita, Oregon

Fixed Bridal: Flexifoil Sting 1.2, 1.7; Rage Acid 2.5m, 3.5m, 4.7m, 6m | Peter Lynn Vapor 11.2m, 16.1m | NPW 7m
Depower : Peter Lynn Venom 2 13m, 16m, 19m | Peter Lynn Phantom 15m | Flysurfer 2.5 SA 19m
LEI : Flexifoil Atom 7m, 9m, 12m; Mutiny 8m
Land rides : Libre Hardcore; Libre v-max; Peter Lynn XR+W | Rollerblade Coyotes! | Ground Industries AK Pro
Water rides : Slingshot Misfit 134; Ocean Rodeo Mako 150; North WAM! 5\'10

4 Sale/Trade: HQ M1 5m, Flysurfer Pulse 10, PL Venom 2 16m, PL Venom 19m

shehatesmyhobbies

[*] posted on 11-30-2012 at 06:44 PM

Exactly;-)

Rich
NAPKA President
US 66
www.napka.org

302 480 6008

Phantoms!
shehatesmyhobbies

[*] posted on 11-30-2012 at 06:46 PM

It's ok, to add in topic discussion, that's what I want. The more people speak about what they would like to see in NAPKA the more I can try to get accomplished.

Together we can do a lot more with open discussion and suggestions!

Rich
NAPKA President
US 66
www.napka.org

302 480 6008

Phantoms!

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio