Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: beginner looking for more power
CrankyThunder

[*] posted on 2-9-2012 at 07:37 AM
beginner looking for more power

Good Morning, Newby here!

Just started flying serious kites coupel months ago, when I purchased a HQ symphony beach 2.1.

I am a semi athletic 220 pounds, and while I enjoy flying the kite at the beach, I often stop at the park on the way home when the winds are favorable. Unfortunately, I have not seen anybody with a larger kite or had the opportunity to learn from other flyers more experienced then I am.

Therefore, I am looking for recommendations on my second kite. I am concerned because I am thinking about getting a 5 meter kite which seams like a good step up from what I have, but without any experience, I just do not know if this would be a good next kite. Maybe a 7 meter? or am I biting off too much and a 3.5 meter would be a better choice. The HQ 350 hydra looks appealing to me.

The few times we have had 30 MPH winds have been the bestest for my little symphony! Anything under about 10 mph is a bit unstimulating if you know what I mean.

Also, I am looking at various kite manufactures and are there any that I should stay away from? Also, I see quite a few of chinese kites available on EBAY with very attractive prices. I assume you get what you pay for but does anybody have any experience with these moderatly priced kites?

Your comments will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Cranky
pyro22487
Posting Freak

Mood: Went kiting....Still suffering from withdrawls

[*] posted on 2-9-2012 at 08:39 AM

A 2 meter 4 string kite is a good trainer if you are on the heavier side you could hold down more up to about 4 meters. Most recommended kites for beginners. HQ beamer, Ozone Octane or flow, PKD Buster soulfly, Peter lynn Hornet or hornet 2.

All these are great beginner kites and are reasonable in price.

I wouldn't recommend making to big of a jump in size because the symphony is just a kite for play while all the ones I listed are Power Kites. Not saying that the symphony can't pull you but a 2m flow will drag you around in 25 mph winds a 5m will do it in about 10-15 mph winds. A seven meter kite can fly on apparent winds. So start small and with a beginner intermediate kite and have fun.

Oh and stay away from Fleabay. We see people on here quite often that buy those chinese kites. They don't fly well don't come with strings sometimes. We have heard they sometimes don't come with bridles. Best to be safe and spend a little extra cash and get a decent kite to start with. If you get a kite that doesn't fly decently you will end up getting frustrated and quitting the sport.

go fly a kite trainer 1.4 m
thunderfoil 9 ft.
Flexi sting 1.7m
Ozone flow 2.0 m
PL Vapor 3.2 m
Ozone Flow 5 m
PLVapor 6.5 m
frenzy 14.0 m
Bladerunner
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-9-2012 at 08:56 AM

You talk about winds from 10 to 30.

No kite will cover you for that. What is your typical wind speed?
I find 5m to be a good size if you have variable winds and only 1 kite. The trick is to respect it and not take it out in too strong of winds. Too strong will change as your skills improve.

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
B-Roc
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-9-2012 at 09:09 AM

Are you going to be using a board/buggy or skis at some point or just static flying? If you are getting in motion you may want to consider depower kites.

Depower Quiver: 14m Gin Eskimo, 10m Gin Eskimo III, 6m Gin Yeti, 4.5m Gin Yeti (custom bridle and mixer)
Fixed Bridle Quiver: MAC Bego 400, JOJO ET Instinct 2.5 & 5.5, Lil Devil 1.5, Sting 1.2
Rides: Ground Industries
pyro22487
Posting Freak

Mood: Went kiting....Still suffering from withdrawls

[*] posted on 2-9-2012 at 09:33 AM

Thanks Bladerunner I didn't even think about wind speeds.

go fly a kite trainer 1.4 m
thunderfoil 9 ft.
Flexi sting 1.7m
Ozone flow 2.0 m
PL Vapor 3.2 m
Ozone Flow 5 m
PLVapor 6.5 m
frenzy 14.0 m
CrankyThunder

[*] posted on 2-9-2012 at 10:29 AM

First off, I want to thank you guys for your advice and keep the suggestions coming.

being a newby, and having flown my 2.1 hq symphony beach maybe 2 dozen times, I am looking for something with more power in the lighter wind ranges, about 5-15 mph which seams to be the more frequent wind speeds I find and the wind speed which is not that interesting with the beginner kite that I do have. I figure if the wind is stronger then that, I can use the smaller kite.

A long range goal includes kite surfing but I need more practice with that, both kite wise and also behind a speed boat on a board. I do not think that I want to get a kite surfing kite at this point in my experience.

Your comments are greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Cranky
MNKiteFan

[*] posted on 2-9-2012 at 06:57 PM

Speaking from the newbie perspective.... I started my kiting journey many months ago on a Symphony 2.1 by HQ also. After much consideration and a few talks with Dino over at DAKITEZ I decided to go with a 5.6m Peter Lynn Twister II. It has been a real eye opener. This kite pulls like a mack truck. It has definitely been a fun kite to progress with. But DO NOT take it out in anything over 10 mph winds until you have flown it a few times and are comfortable with it. It can bunch up your undies in a heartbeat. But every time I take it out I come home smiling like a little kid a Christmas.
Hope this helps a little.

Quiver:
HQ Symphony 2.1m
PL Twister IIR 5.6m
REV 1.5 SLE
pongnut

Mood: Land and snow figured out... water?

[*] posted on 3-9-2012 at 10:06 AM

Ditto to MNKiteFan, started with the same kites a year ago. If 5 to 15 is your wind 90% of the time, then a 4 - 5m on handles with killers would stimulate. And heck yeah, that 5.6m Twister would definitely leave a smile every time, provided your first handful of sessions are 10mph or less.

2m Radsails Pro (from crazyherb), 2.1m Symphony Beach II (from Amazon), 3m HQ Beamer IV (from K-Bid), 4m Pansh Flux (from garydog), 4.7m Flexifoil Rage (from mougl), 5.6m PL Twister IIR (from Big Mike), 6m Flysurfer Peak 1 (from Flysurfer USA), 11m HQ Neo II (from kiteplace), 19m PL Venom II (from Smeagol), MBS Core 95 ATB (from Overstock.com), couple of ROSSIGNOL snowboards w/ SIS "click" bindings
lives2fly

[*] posted on 4-9-2012 at 01:33 AM

got to add my vote for the Twister. Its probably my favourite fixed bridle kite. I would also echo what the others have said about using it only in light winds to begin with. its a good price too.

It really comes alive at 15mph on the landboard but its a handful to fly static at that speed. I weigh 160lb though so you should be able to cope with a bit more. Just work up to it!!

A flexifoil blade or an ozone method would give you a similar experience but the blade is very lifty and aggressive so I would be cautious buying a big one - it would definately be stimulating though. my 6.6 is the only kite I enjoy flying when its less than 10mph

15m Naish Fly,12m & 7.5m Naish Cults, 10m & 12m Naish Parks, 9m Naish Bolt, 6m & 14m Naish X3's, 13m PL Venom, 10m & 6m Ozone Access,
1.5m flexi Buzz, 3.5m Flexifoil Bullet, 4.7m flexi Rage, 5.6m PL Twister II, 6.6m flexi Blade, 8.0m HQ Toxic
Flexdeck Landboard, Nobile Flying Carpet 160, Airush Switch 142, Slingshot Misfit 136, Naish Monarch 134, North Whip 5'8", Fischer Skis, Palmer & Drake Snowboards.

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio