Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: higher elevation kiteboarding
AZKevin

Mood: Learning the ropes of PowerKiting

question.gif posted on 7-2-2012 at 08:37 AM
higher elevation kiteboarding

So we're on vacation here in Idaho and we have a nice big lake with normal afternoon winds. We're at about 5000 ft.

So with white caps on the lake I'd guess the wind was between 12-17 knots. Took the kite out only to find that another strut was leaking. Did a quick repair to the 15m kite and launched from land. Once in the water and the kite got away from me and landing TE down. For the life of me I could not get the kite to relaunch. So we broke out the boat and had them tow me up wind but the kite still would not launch. So then I had the boat lift the kite out of the water and I tried hot launching it. Nada....
Only two things come to mind is either the kite was still leaking air to the point it wasn't flyable or that due to the higher elevation more wind is needed or that I was doing something completely wrong. Although in AZ I was able to relaunch with no problems with less wind.
Any thoughts on this :puzzled:

2nd, I figured I was in the water and had my board, so figured I'd practice boarding with it behind the boat. The amount of power required to get me out of the water on this light wind board, I'm 165#, was ridiculous. I can't see either of these 15m or 18m kites pulling hard enough to get me up. Is it completely different due to being pulled sideways by the kite? I'm going to try a knee board today which is much more buoyant.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and criticism :wee:
kitedelight

[*] posted on 7-2-2012 at 10:30 AM

I'm not very experienced at the water aspect yet, but at 3500ft, a 12 should be able to get going in those winds with a 136 board. I only ride at higher elevations in the winter time, and the cold makes the air denser so...don't know in the summer at 5000ft.

just to be sure, you have a specific kiteboard right, not a wakeboard (that has more rocker)?

When I was getting going and practicing my water starts, it did seem like a huge amount of power was needed.
But, couple things to keep in mind, your technique probably isn't very efficient at the moment, and the kite sits higher and will provide some vertical pull too to get you up (vs the boat only has horizontal pull).
No worries, the kite will have the power to get you up. The kite will even get you up when you don't have enough power to keep going...so, the power needed is less than you are thinking at the moment.
PHREERIDER

Mood: chilled....but ready to SAIL!

[*] posted on 7-2-2012 at 10:49 AM

can't remember what unit you're on, GK, sonic...anyway.

if the kite (a typical depower) is sitting TE down in the window and WILL NOT go up, esp. 15kts! you're probably have the bar pulled ALL the way in hanging on the for the blast...right ...well in that position the bar all the way in is effectively choking(stalled) the kite, yes deep in the window.

the death grip and pull is the combo for the no action. the way to break out is let go of the bar grab the front lines (like the trim) and give it BIG pull ...unit will snatch esp. in 15+ ...hooked in hot and BOOM! garb the bar Immediately to slow it down as it zoom to the top. if the board is on your feet while this is going you may be pulling over if you can't keep it together. all very quick and violent, watch you fingers!

15kts + that what you want!!! relax the board orientation once the movement and lift/pull start to load point it toward the kite down wind....sounds like your on the brakes too much for smooth start.

TEAM RIDER for Coastal Wind Sports

http://www.coastalwindsports.com/

VIDEOS for your entertainment while you wait.

http://vimeo.com/user4948152/videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/goldendmd?feature=mhsn
AZKevin

[*] posted on 7-2-2012 at 11:37 AM

Yes, i am using the 15m GK Trix. I did have the bar fully out and trim depowered. I am thinking it was due to low air in the struts and LE.
the board is a big 150 or 155. And you are right, i forgot the boat is only pulling horizontally. So that makes more sense.

Ozone Imp III 3.5m Trainer
SlingShot Fuel 18m
GK Trix 15m

150cmx44cm MTHboard
ATB
Black Dakine Tabu Harness
Flyfish

[*] posted on 7-2-2012 at 01:56 PM

Hey Kevin,
Like phree said, trailing edge down is hard to re launch in light winds. The kite is wet, and water is usually holding it down at that point. Next time, do what Phree said and reach up, grab the trim strap and give a giant pull. Only hope.
But once you got the boat involved the kite was probably too wet and heavy with the wind too light at that point!
Keep at it! Love hearing the stories! Your going to be the master of horrible conditions and soon we'll all be asking you what to do!
Kamikuza

[*] posted on 7-2-2012 at 06:38 PM

What phree said - TE down on the LEIs is almost a death-sentence for your session until you can swim in or get it onto the LE. Water washing over the canopy :(

Yeah... I got a kite. Or two...
Bladerunner

[*] posted on 7-3-2012 at 06:43 AM

The air pressure also makes a big difference. The fact you mention it twice makes it pretty clear it was playing into the situation. This is why I have mentioned on a few posts that you aren't filling enough. The leading edge should be rock solid.

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
AZKevin

[*] posted on 7-3-2012 at 08:17 AM

Since you've first said to fill it as much as possible and not to worry, it won't pop, I have. Problem is, since I have arrived to Idaho two seals on two different struts have given out around the nozzle. I could order new nozzles but by time they get here I'd be leaving. So I used Tear Aid which is working great for 2 of the leaks but one isn't. So I believe that the air pressure is part of the issue as well due to the leak. When testing it, 4 hours on the lawn, 1 strut is completely deflated with one more half full. The rest including the LE are fine.
My thoughts are, either I did over inflate the bladders to cause the nozzle seals to bust one by one or that this 4 year old kite just needs new bladders. My 2001 kite is holding up great!

All in all , its still a lot of fun being dragged around till the kite lands TE down. I've never had it land TE down in AZ. So that answers my questions. Appreciate the help and I hope I make those who have a nice steady wind appreciate it lol :yes:

SlingShot Fuel 18m
GK Trix 15m

150cmx44cm MTHboard
ATB
Flyfish

[*] posted on 7-3-2012 at 08:41 AM

Kevin,
Welcome to the world of inflatable kites! The valves start peeling and leaking. Often it may have to do with the heat in your area. Im in a cold place, and I seems we get less leaky valves than my brother's where it is hot all the time. Also, it seems like with some kites, one valve leaks, then one week later every single valve leaks. It's like the glue all gives out at once!
I've had great success (albeit a giant pain!) reglueing them. Use a hair dryer to pull the valve off, but be VERY careful not too much heat. Then clean them with alcohol. Place a tiny piece of wax paper inside the kite bladder in the hole so you don't glue it to the other side, then use Aquaseal to re glue the valve down. Use two people. One holding bladder nice with no wrinkles.
My buddy made a super slick block of wood with a hole saw cut to then place weight on it. Others say to use a roll of electrical tape. We learned to tape wax paper to the block of wood or the valve may stick to the wood even.
Good luck!
AZKevin

[*] posted on 7-3-2012 at 08:50 AM

Ha gotta love your creativity flyfish! Thanks for the advise. Think for today I'm just going to let the boat do all the work and get some more boarding time in :)

SlingShot Fuel 18m
GK Trix 15m

150cmx44cm MTHboard
ATB
Flyfish

[*] posted on 7-3-2012 at 08:54 AM

Had to take a pic of the block. So simple. So effective!

Valve block.jpg - 17kB

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio