Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: JIBE 2012 Updates (watch for more updates)
acampbell

Mood: Digging Deserts and Mts.

[*] posted on 5-5-2012 at 01:11 PM
JIBE 2012 Updates (watch for more updates)

I am excited that JIBE is approaching and want to give out some important updates and reminders.

1) A Written Ordinance Variance is in hand. Some of you know that there will be limitations on how far south we can go on Jekyll due to the endangered species of nesting shore birds there. The new ordinance reads that the southern limit is a point by the South Dunes Picnic Area Boardwalk. Few of you would know where this is as it is hard to spot. We have a written variance signed by the JI Authority Executive Director that the Southern limit during JIBE is the line extending out the beach from the southern water tower. Easy to spot (big-a$$ water tower!). This gives us an extra 1/3 rd mile and an easy to understand location. There will be a banner or wind sock put out there every morning too, just to make it easier.

Remember in any event to give way to wildlife and especially keep your kite and gear away from sea turtle nests. they will be up by the dune line above high tide and easy to spot since they will be marked with signage. This location on the beach is right about below where your kite might be on a long beam reach, so be careful please.

I will have the variance with me to show to any inquiring plovers.

2) Sea Turtle Center Tour is on your own this year. This year is unusual because of the imminent opening of the Convention Center bringing more island visitors and scheduling a group tour is too difficult. You can do much the same tour on your own for the same $10 (8 for kids). The tour in the front exhibit area has always been on your own, and you can still go back to the clinic area where the patient tanks are and ask questions of the staff. The clinicians and helpers there are happy stop and explain the stories, treatments and science for any of the resident turtle patients.

If you have not done this tour, I highly recommend it. Go in the mornings after 9:00 am when it is high tide and the beach is not as usable for buggies anyway. More info here If you have been on the tour before, it is worth visiting again, as the science and stories of the patients are always new. This is a GREAT family activity and is especially kid-friendly.

3) Saturday will be busy. Weekend tourist traffic is up on Jekyll this year, in part because of the spectacular new beachfront facilities around the Convention Center (like Great Dunes Park but all over the place). So even though the Triathlon will be over by 10 am Saturday morning and the Turtle Release will be done by noon (and low tide is later that day anyway), there will still be more people that we are used to on Jekyll (but nothing like other beaches). Still lots of open riding will be south of Days Inn to the Southern water tower.

4) The Kite Fort is back!! Chris Rieke and his gang of miscreants will be back with the camper parked at the restaurant parking lot above JIBE staging area. They have a special permit to park overnight and guard the buggies that we are able to leave out without dis-assembly every night. We have a 90' bicycle lock to keep them secure, even though this is prolly not necessary. Thank You Chris!

Remember there is otherwise no overnight parking on the island except for the campground (and guests at hotels or house rentals)

5) New Traffic Pattern. The rebuilt Jekyll Island convention Center is complete and the detours through the historic district are gone, making navigating on the island so much easier. They are building a new parking fee collection station on the causeway at the Visitor Center but it will not be done yet, so you still pay the fee at the old location at the island entrance. But after that, you drive straight ahead to a new traffic circle (they moved an entire live oak, 50' root ball and all). There you can bear right to go south to Days Inn or Hampton Inn, or do a 270 around the circle to exit north to the Fins (formally Blackbeard's) restaurant parking lot and JIBE staging. Easy peasy

Great Dunes Park, just south of the JIBE Staging, has expanded south to the convention center with more public bathrooms, showers, changing rooms and fresh drinking water.

Great Dunes pavilion, just 800' south of the JIBE staging area, is still the best place to get a wide buggy on to the beach. There are 4 steps up to the deck but the ramp from there to the beach is 7' or 2+ meters wide.

6) Water, water everywhere, but yes, a sip to drink! Again we will have cold bottled drinking water, fresh clean cold water for filling your personal bottles, and ice to chill your personal sports drinks or other beverages. This is included in your registration. Hydration is important in the hot Georgia sun, even with a nice sea breeze.

Remember sun-block too, including lip balm with SPF. Any product over 30 spf is a waste of money, according to my dermatologist. but re-applying though out the day is more important. Several people got burnt last year.

Alcohol is permitted on the beach (just no glass), just be careful again about dehydration. But nothing like a cold one for apres kite!

Looking forward to seeing you out there. Winds have been great with consistent afternoon sea breezes!

Angus Campbell
Coastal Wind Sports
where life is better when it blows!
912-577-3920 new number

Find out about Jekyll Island
Drewculous

Mood: Official Tough Mudder :D

[*] posted on 5-5-2012 at 02:48 PM

Sux the shipwreck run is out... But im still stoked as hell!!

Thanks again to the kite fort crew!

PL: Twister II 5.6m, Phantom 15m / 12m, 10m Synergy, JIBE Viper 5.3m, Charger 19m
HQ: Montana 4 12.5m, Apex 3 5m
Flexi: Blade ViP, Rage 1.8m \"lil Pepi!\"
FlexiFoot Bug / FlexDeck / MBS Core 95 / Custom Carbon Fiber MTH \"Monster Door\"
Corsair Crash Test Dummy (QC Suervisor :lol: )
My most perfect days have been on Jekyll
acampbell

[*] posted on 5-5-2012 at 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Drewculous
Sux the shipwreck run is out... But im still stoked as hell!!

Thanks again to the kite fort crew!

Yeah, but most agree that while you could make some nice fast wide open runs on the south end, a lot of the sand was soft, the tidal rivlets and pools were treacherous and the run to the shipwreck itself was more of a stunt, since it meant an upwind beat to get back.

I think that we are giving up the sleeves off our vests to let the conservationists know that we are being cooperative and reasonable, while the JIA knows that we do much to promote the island.

The stretch south from Days Inn is a great place for many to set their personal bests. I routinely hit 40 + to near 50 mph without even trying to use speed gear, and feel I can do so with public safety in mind, as it is so wide open.

Angus Campbell
Coastal Wind Sports
912-577-3920 new number

Drewculous

[*] posted on 5-5-2012 at 04:36 PM

I spent a lot of time on that stretch of beach last year... Itll still be awesome!

The "textured" part of the beach was a little rough lmao!

PL: Twister II 5.6m, Phantom 15m / 12m, 10m Synergy, JIBE Viper 5.3m, Charger 19m
FlexiFoot Bug / FlexDeck / MBS Core 95 / Custom Carbon Fiber MTH \"Monster Door\"
pbc

Mood: Updated, edited, and published

[*] posted on 5-5-2012 at 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by acampbell
Yeah, but most agree that while you could make some nice fast wide open runs on the south end, a lot of the sand was soft, the tidal rivlets and pools were treacherous and the run to the shipwreck itself was more of a stunt, since it meant an upwind beat to get back.

I'll respect the rules, but rivulets, pools, curving shoreline, mud, and poles are just part of the glorious landscape we sometimes get to play in. I cry for the loss of the playground of my youth and hope someday reason and science will prevail to return us to the most awesome of venues.

Speed is good, but so is everything else.

Philip

I fly: Charger II 6.5m * Charger II 8m * Charger II 10m * Scorpion 10 (for sale) * Phantom II 12m * F-Arc 1200 * Venom 13m

I ride: Peter Lynn XR+ on Midis * Flexifoil Midi/Barrow * Peter Lynn Comp on Barrows * Peter Lynn XR+ (needs a fork)

I build: Custom bars for buggy pilots

I write about kite stuff: at http://philipbchase.com

Philip Chase
acampbell

[*] posted on 5-6-2012 at 03:54 AM

yeah, I was just trying to play spin doctor. I'll miss it too. Plovers!

Angus Campbell
Coastal Wind Sports
912-577-3920 new number

pbc

[*] posted on 5-6-2012 at 05:54 AM

As long as you don't drink the Koolaid you'll be OK.

I fly: Charger II 6.5m * Charger II 8m * Charger II 10m * Scorpion 10 (for sale) * Phantom II 12m * F-Arc 1200 * Venom 13m

I ride: Peter Lynn XR+ on Midis * Flexifoil Midi/Barrow * Peter Lynn Comp on Barrows * Peter Lynn XR+ (needs a fork)

Philip Chase
Drewculous

[*] posted on 5-20-2012 at 05:19 AM

Plover koolaid.....mmmm

Its expensive but damn is it tasty!
:lol:

pbc

[*] posted on 5-21-2012 at 03:09 AM

My trip north into the wasteland of the dead forest eased the pain of not going to the southend. The north end is beautiful. It was very technical, somewhat risky for my gear, but beautiful.

Philip Chase

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio