Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Pads/Straps recommendations
rdavis

[*] posted on 29-2-2012 at 04:05 PM
Pads/Straps recommendations

I'm going to be getting a custom made kiteboard here soon and I need some recommendations for some pads/straps from the veterans here. What's good, what's awful, what's comfortable, etc... I have big feet too, if it matters. Any input is greatly appreciated, thank you!

I'm gonna need fins and a grab handle too! FYI

burritobandit

[*] posted on 29-2-2012 at 04:50 PM

Awful:
As far as straps, I can't recommend 2009 or 2010 Cabrinha Syncs. I have the 2009 and 2010 models, and both suffer from the same problem in that they get loose after a while. The 2011 and 12 Syncs look like they have switched to laces that you actually tie, which would prevent them from loosening. The pads on the 09/10 Syncs are fine.

Would recommend:
Liquid Force Luxury - Pads are super comfy, and so are the straps. Straps are easy to adjust.
Crazyfly Fly Quickfix II and III - Pads have this awesome toe-ridge that helps for grip. Straps are easy to adjust.
Cabrinha CoAx - My buddy has these. Pads are comfy, straps don't loosen like the syncs.

Kites:
2012 TS 7,9,12/2007 Waroo 3,5/2009 Kahoona 9.5
Flexifoil Ion 2 8.5
HQ Hydra 350
Naish Helix 2, Cult 3,4.5
Ozone Zephyr 17m
Rides:
2011 Best Profanity 134, Cabrinha Kiteskate, Cabrinha Nugget, 2k9 Cabrinha Plasma 146x50, 2k9 Flexifoil Delta 139x41.5, 2011 Slingshot Darko 135x41, Slingshot Scud, Tona wakeskate, Flexifoil Flexdeck, MBS Pro 90, MBS Ambush x 2, some oldskool buggy
PHREERIDER
Posting Freak

Mood: chilled....but ready to SAIL!

[*] posted on 29-2-2012 at 05:00 PM

i have been through some and they all have good points

some soft pads are nice, Liquid Force seemed decent for BIG feet but probably low on the grand picture of pads, they seem kinda soft and bigger in general.

the Jimmy lewis seems premium... GET THE PLATE for the bottom it amps any mediocre set and adds to custom position. the JL are nice for big BARE feet, booties just ain't gonna happen with out help like strap extensions.

i ended up liking the harder pads under the foot seems to give me better board feel. with some type of TOE GRIP /RIDGE it adds to secure feel.
heel center to heel center in about the 20 inch range

just got a SYNC set on a cabrinha snug and springy we'll see how long they last.

the big feet thing, i have a set and thought they were cool and neat how my toes lapped over the FRONT edge of the pad ..i thought it designed that way til the local guys said that was just laughable with the guerilla feet look. BUT it works!

not so good with the BRAND names of stuff, just know the elements of what works

TEAM RIDER for Coastal Wind Sports

http://www.coastalwindsports.com/

VIDEOS for your entertainment while you wait.

http://vimeo.com/user4948152/videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/goldendmd?feature=mhsn
Kamikuza
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 29-2-2012 at 05:21 PM

I think the new Naish Ally pads are the hotness - they look awesome!
http://www.naishkites.com/2012/boards/ally-binding.html

OR Bliss pads & straps are pretty generic (and cheap!) but comfy and do the job well - they're pretty much the same as Flyboard pads but the straps are velcro as opposed to pull straps on the Flyboards which I've had mixed success with...
http://oceanrodeo.com/kiting/board_extras
http://www.kiteboarding.fr/IMG/png/flyboards_pads_straps1-2....

One thing that bothers me about ALL the velcro pads I've used - I have to open them so far (especially with booties on) that the end of the soft padding is about an inch above the pad and can rub on the side of my feet.

Despite the hassles with the Flyboards straps, they do NOT do this and are VERY comfy.

I think all straps get loose after a while - they seem to absorb water and pack down...

Yeah... I got a kite. Or two...
rdavis

[*] posted on 29-2-2012 at 07:08 PM

Thanks for all the input so far guys, i'm checking them all out. I was looking at the Cabrinha Sync, but I had the concern that burritobandit pointed out, about them loosening. Have you had that issue with yours yet PHREE? Does anyone have input on the Dakine X-Lace straps? I like the "on the fly" adjust ability, or one handed adjustment if you will. The one brief session I had last season I had to fumble with the straps in the water because I couldn't slide my feet in with my Vibrams on. Though the straps on that board had flattened a bit too from use.

tridude
Posting Freak

Mood: Semper in excretum sum sed alta variat................alwayz in the crap but the depth varys.........

[*] posted on 29-2-2012 at 07:16 PM

Crazy Fly and Liquid Force are my two favs for the TT......................

17m Ozone Zephyr (2012)
15m Flysurfer Silver Arrow 2
12m Ozone Catalyst (2013)
10m Ozone Catalyst (2012)
MTH Colonel Reb customs 160x45 carbon, 141x43 wood
Wainman Joke & Demitri Pro
11'6 Naish Nalu
6' Davo Fish
Kamikuza
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 29-2-2012 at 09:23 PM

Guy in NZ said everyone there uses the Sync bindings and he hasn't heard anyone complaining about them... FWIW

I got Crazy Fly straps for the ol' Airush board... but they scratch the side of my feet. With pads though, they're better. The screw holes are different sizes than other boards though :dunno: weird.

Yeah... I got a kite. Or two...
PHREERIDER
Posting Freak

Mood: chilled....but ready to SAIL!

[*] posted on 1-3-2012 at 06:01 AM

the SYNC are new and not enough time on them yet.

may experience with pads is ...GENERALLY the first/second time out with them your kinda still foolin' with them.

difficulty at first with "ALL the way IN" is common, its the hallmark that they eventually shape to your foot after repeated wet/dry/wet/dry.
and the toe ridge thing helps you pull your foot all the way in while weighted.

the LF have better width so you don't get the side post bugle on the outside of the foot and after a while, like 2-3 sessions, it compresses down if it is present.
the basic are firm across the bridge of the foot, NOT CRUSHING, toes should have wiggle room and heel should be able to move a little side to side about an inch or two
the SYNC have alot of springy grip kinda tells me they will wallow out quickly and sliding elastic things, i don't like, any action contact on elastics is the death of them. we see couple months.

anyway after hammering (couple good times of just slamming in hard) your foot into them at first and can reach the toe bar your set! you want touch the adjustments again. the bootie thing only creates another need for space and more difficult to assess.
the fewer pieces the better

TEAM RIDER for Coastal Wind Sports

http://www.coastalwindsports.com/

VIDEOS for your entertainment while you wait.

http://vimeo.com/user4948152/videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/goldendmd?feature=mhsn
Mostly Harmless

Mood: Need a kiting fix...asap

[*] posted on 2-3-2012 at 07:57 AM

I love my Crazyfly foot pads, they are extremely comfortable, but the straps (at least the ones I have) don't hold all that well. I had to modify the strap on my Raptor Pro because it kept coming undone while doing tricks or in the surf. Nothing is more fun then trying to fix your straps in the surf especially when you have to thread it through the slot :puzzled:

2010 Crazyfly Raptor Pro
2010 Crazyfly Lightwind Crusier
6m Ozone Catalyst
8m Ozone Catalyst
10m Zian Aquila
10m Ozone C4
12m Ozone Catalyst (x2)
17m Ozone Zypher (x2)

IKO Certified Instructor
Kober
Posting Freak

Mood: More kiting !!!

[*] posted on 5-3-2012 at 08:56 PM

Any one try Slingshot Joint ????

New Jersey Kite Addicts
NAPKA US-212

2021 Eleveight FS .........10......12
2021 Eleveight XS .........14
Gin Zulu II / III .........5...7
Gin Sherpa .......10
Gin Yeti ..........4.5
Gin Tonkawa ..........3.1...4.1...5.4...6.8...8.7...11.5...15.4
Liquid Force ELITE .... 6m
Flysurfer Speed4 Lotus 18m
Flysurfer Sonic-FR .... 9 ....11....18m
Flysurfer Sonic2 .....11....15m

2016 Nobile Zen Hydrofoil with Infinity 5.1' splitboard
2019 Nobile 2HD with Ronix One boots
2020 Nobile NHP split foil with Ronix Parks boots
MG Supra ......... pulling KiteTrike

....... My videos!
ragden
Posting Freak

Mood: ready to ride...

[*] posted on 6-3-2012 at 05:18 AM

I have tried North straps and it felt like I had bricks strapped to my feet. In other words.. not comfortable.

My spleene boards have always been comfy. Even the old 07 straps were nice (imo). The new ones are great. I've tried the Liquid Force straps, and really like those too.

If you can, try some.. See what you like. I've heard it said that straps/pads are a lot like harnesses. Its a personal feel. What some people like, may not necessarily work for you. Go out and try some stuff (if you can) and figure out what works best for you..
;)

Flysurfer Speed 3 15m DELUXE
Flysurfer Speed 3 12m
Flysurfer Psycho4 8m
Peter Lynn Buggy
Twisted Velocity (164)
Spleene (Monster) Door 164x50 (for sale?)
FlyDoor XL (2013)
2011 Spleene RS 132
Brent_P

Mood: Wish it was summer all year!!!

[*] posted on 8-3-2012 at 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kober
Any one try Slingshot Joint ????

Nice man, you took the words right out of my mouth!!! These look very cool!!! I look forward to hearing a review on these!!!

I can only echo what has been said on the above, the LF Luxury are my pad choice and I have size 12 feet (wide ones).

3m Beamer3
9.5m Ocean Rodeo Prodigy, 12m Ocean Rodeo Flite, 17m Ocean Rodeo Flite
OR Origin, OR Origin Lite, OR Mako Duke
ABoards Reverse 161
apextech

Mood: Often Edgy

[*] posted on 30-4-2012 at 09:21 PM

I'll chime in for Litewave Lace-Up Sandals, much better than Sync's (at least the 2009 model) ultra cushy and fit for booties very well.

HQ Apex ll 5.0m
HQ Apex ll 7.5m
HQ Apex ll 10.0m

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio