Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: A good board to start out with?
rtz

[*] posted on 2-3-2012 at 08:43 PM
A good board to start out with?

I wouldn't mind picking up a cheap board to start off with; but I don't want to get one that will hinder my learning(too big, small, old(this 2009 board for example; good enough?).

What's a good twin tip board for the money?

Just some examples:

http://kiteboarding.com/products.asp?cat=Kiteboard+Closeouts

Or if we knew what the magic bid amount is:

http://www.kitersoutlet.com/KO-Boards
Houston AirHead

Mood: Smooth winds

[*] posted on 2-3-2012 at 09:10 PM

liquid force proof 151

2011 17 Best Taboo
2008 Caution Mayhem 9m
Flysurfer Speed 5 15m
Legend 3
Ace II 8 - for sale rarely used....

Jaymz

Mood: Wizzy

[*] posted on 2-3-2012 at 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Houston AirHead
liquid force proof 151

Same here :thumbup:

Spleene X-19
PL Syn 15, P18,
Gin Eskimo 14m, 11m, 8.5m, 6m
PL Viper 3.9m
HQ Beamer IV 2m
NPW5 2.5m, 4.8m, 6.9m
HQ Rush3 250 pro (Sons)
Naish Cult 12m, 9m, 7m
Slingshot Rally 14m
Litewave Storm 132, Wing 153
Libre Fullrace, PL Bigfoot
Coyote skates
Dirtsurfer GP20
Kitewing 5.5
KITE IceBoat
Scud boots ;)
bigkahuna

[*] posted on 2-4-2012 at 02:16 AM

"I wouldn't mind picking up a cheap board to start off with; but I don't want to get one that will hinder my learning(too big, small, old(this 2009 board for example; good enough?)."

I've never known any noob whose learning was hindered by too big a board, but have known plenty who became frustrated as heck because their board was too small. You didn't post your weight nor the conditions you will be kiting in, but generally speaking I'd say the Proof 151 or 161 (I have the 161 that I've modified for riding waves) is a good call.
magictat

[*] posted on 2-4-2012 at 04:19 AM

Myply kiteboard.
I had one for two seasons. Same as a door, much less expensive. You wont feel bad if you drop it or dinging it up on the rocks!
Many models to choose from.

http://www.myplykiteboards.com/boards.html

We all start out with a big bag of luck, and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill your bag of experience, before you empty your bag of luck.
Learned on PLK B10.5, V13&16 in 2006.
Now: 8, 10m RPM, 21m Speed3.

5'6" 175#1968 5'10" Surftech Xanadu fish, 4\'10\" Placebo Surfskate
dylanj423

[*] posted on 2-4-2012 at 07:38 AM

i bought a liquid force 151 to learn on and i would definitely say go get a.... lightwave wing...

... or something like it... spleene door, cabrinha plasma i think their door-type board is called the plasma?), ive heard good things about myply... there is also a guy selling custom jobs on ebay that look pretty good (never heard a review, tho)

the thing the sets these boards apart for learning to ride is the flat bottom and wider profile.... the proof has some concavity to it, which doesnt allow for easy planing and riding for the beginner...

after trying to surf so many times that i wanted to give up, i ended up riding with a lightwave wing, and the first attempt brought easy riding, even upwind... the board made all the difference for me...

i think people began to suggest these as beginner boards not because they are easy to learn on, but because they are relatively inexpensive and durable... i wish i had started with a big board first, i prob would have had a much easier time learning....

WHAT I FLY:
Flysurfer Soul v2 12m, Soul 15m, Soul v2 21m

Flexi Rage 1.8m, Jojo RM 3m, Flexi Blurr 3.5, Flexi Blade 4.0m, Flexi Blade 4.9m, Flexi Blurr 5, Jojo RM 6m

WHAT I RIDE:
Kite Skates, Libre Full Race, GI Conflict 106, OR Mako 140, Spleene Door 159

What I Am In The Market For: Peter Lynn Vapors, Weatherproof Kite Buggy Bag for Libre, PL or Flexi Small Buggy to Tow With, Flexi Pro Link Handles, Flexi Lines, Flexi Kite Killers
Kamikuza

[*] posted on 2-4-2012 at 08:17 AM

Yes, Door to learn on then live with for the light wind.

Flatter and wider for light wind, longer if you're taller (or fatter) and it's got to have 3D flex tips or it'll kill your knees.

Yeah... I got a kite. Or two...
rtz

[*] posted on 2-5-2012 at 02:59 PM

I was looking at the Myply board. Will the board be usable with no fins?
mdpminc

Mood: so want to get out, but no free time :-(

[*] posted on 2-5-2012 at 03:03 PM

I am 200+ lbs and I started with Proof 151 and after two sessions of frustrations almost gave up on water kiting (previous experience snow kiting and few summers on a landboard) .

Then I tried Ocean Rodeo Mako 150 Wide and ended up buying one, after 1 full day I was able to stay upright and after the 2nd day go upwind. It was an easy progress.

I still have and enjoy this board in flat or choppy water as well as in smaller waves

During last water session of last year I tried a strapped surfboard when wind was too low for the Mako.
I believe I found my low wind alternative to buying a large twin tip.
Riding technique is slightly different but I believe it might be a good tool for a beginner as well.

Surfboards are super light, relatively cheaper and more abundant than kiteboards.

I got mine for $200, later added full deck pad and straps for another $50.

boards 001_sm.JPG - 97kB

Foils: Phantom2 15, Aurora 19 custom, F-1200, S-840, JN Luis 10, JN Randas 8
Inflados: Ocean Rodeo: Flite 17.5m, Rise LW15m, Razor 12m and 10m, Prodigy 7m
Boards: Mako Duke, Mako King, 6'6" Bushman shortned to 5'8"
Land 'n snow: "Tsar" RC2000 Nobile, 150 SantaCruz TT with IceBlade, 159 Mongoose Grand Slalom
Nfish

[*] posted on 3-15-2013 at 06:07 AM

Didn't want to start a new thread for the same topic, so I picked up this old thread.

I'm on the same boat now and looking for a good beginner board. Sounded like the Spleene door and Lightwave Wing would be the good choices. Any other recommandations? Also, not sure how much changes they make on the boards each year, would a used board be sufficient or am I better off with a new board?

Beamer V 2m, PKD Buster Soulfly 3.3m, Venom2 16
FS Speed2 10m, FS Speed4 Lotus 12m, PL Fury Lite 15m
Libre full race, Epic Oxygen V2, F-one TX5
rtz

[*] posted on 3-15-2013 at 02:28 PM

I got to ride a Lightwave Wing when I was taking some lessons down in Padre. It's a cool board; very easy to ride and very easy to get going on and up out of the water.

It's very slap happy though. Meaning it really slaps the water a lot. Also I kept on snagging the front corner and crashing because of that.

I've got three boards right now. But I don't yet have enough time on them to really comment.

My "highwind board"; a 132 that I will use with my 7m and possibly my 9m in time.

My 140 Mako which is my primary board. And a large 145x49 board for "light wind" use with my 11m. Possibly with a 9m. That was the first board I got and it was used.

A big board definitely makes it easier getting up on the board for the first times.

That Wing was wicked easy. I think it was the 161 size.

Best option would be grab something cheap and go from there.

Body weight will factor into how big of a board one might need and how small one might be able to get away with. Also if you are out in strong wind/trying to hold back a lot of power; a big board makes that harder.
Nfish

[*] posted on 3-15-2013 at 04:08 PM

Thanks for the input. I like the idea just grab something cheap and go from there, lol.

So I looked through ikitesurf and there are just so many different boards...Anyway, I'm about 5'8 and 150lbs. Is 140cm board big enough to learn on or should I go 150 and larger?

Kamikuza

[*] posted on 3-15-2013 at 07:15 PM

Width is more important, Nfish, for easy planing - as is a lack of rocker.

This would be a good board - start as a learning board, keep it as a light wind board: 145x45
http://www.cabrinhakites.com/kite-boards/stylus.html

Epic Oxygen would be a good one too - 135x47 - supposed to be good in lightwind but also fun http://www.epickites.com/products/oxygen.php

My personal choice, if I were 5' 8" and 69kg, would be a Flyradical XL 144x46 - love my L and it's actually a good light wind board for the smaller guy
http://www.flysurfer.com/produkte/boards/radical4/

BEST idea, is to get a giant Airush Square One for a few sessions, just to get up on a board and moving... but you don't want to keep it.

Doors are great if you're heavy or chasing the absolute bottomest end - I think with your weight, if you go out on the biggest doors, you'll be risking dropping the kite and being unable to relaunch it due to lack of wind :D

Yeah... I got a kite. Or two...
Nfish

[*] posted on 3-17-2013 at 11:35 AM

Kamikuza, thanks for the input. I think I've narrowed down to 2 boards now: Epic Oxygen 135x47 and Shinn King George 140x46. I'm leaning towards the Oxygen a bit more.

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio