Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Building my Doom Wheels
matrix02

Mood: tired

cool.gif posted on 25-10-2003 at 09:30 PM
Building my Doom Wheels

Just looking for a good deal on scooter wheels. Should I be looking at 12.5" E-Scooter type wheels? Send me links with good pricing. I can't find tire/hub/tube(wheel) combos...is this normal? Where do I buy the axel? Is $60 a good deal for 4 wheels?

How do I find metal shops? Are they actually refered to as "Metal Shops"? Is there another name?

Go faster!
doomwheels
Grand Pubah

Mood: Slap happy!

[*] posted on 27-10-2003 at 02:54 AM

A cheap way of finding wheels is to shop a flea market or garage sale for baby strollers or kids scooters. Otherwise $60 bucks sounds alright for a set of new wheels/tubes/tires.

Here is a place that manufactures wheels and will provide you a dealer list:
http://www.skywaytuffwheels.com

You can find more resources in the links section of this forum and also here:
http://www.kiteskating.com

Regarding the metal rails... take a look in the phone book for any shop that welds or works with iron fabrication. It does not have to be a large factory, just someplace that can drill some holes through the 3/8" thick iron.

Good luck,
BC

matrix02

[*] posted on 4-11-2003 at 02:30 PM
Substituting (1")/(1/4)

My machinist only has 3/8" by 3/8" or 1" by 1/4".

Can I use a 1" by 1/4" rail for my doomwheels? Should'nt the additional height make up for the lost depth?

I'm gonna bring in my skate boot for the machinist and just tell him it's a 1/4" axle.

Go faster!
doomwheels
Grand Pubah

[*] posted on 5-11-2003 at 02:25 AM

Quote:
Can I use a 1" by 1/4" rail for my doomwheels?

Those I have talked to who have used the 1 X 1/4 steel or aluminum complained about sideways twisting of the rails. Much of the torque applied to the rails is in a manner that twists them between the boot and the wheels.

The extra height of 1" offers no advantage. Better to make sure the rails are thick enough to remain rigid in stressful conditions.

If this is the only choice offered from your shop, I'd suggest looking for another... they are easy to find.

Quote:
I'm gonna bring in my skate boot for the machinist and just tell him it's a 1/4" axle.

Remember that the axle hole at then ends of each rail needs to be 1/2" diameter.

More building tips here:
http://www.doomwheels.com/articles/buildwod.php

BC

matrix02

[*] posted on 16-12-2003 at 10:08 PM
My Doom Wheels

I've been trying to finish my Doom Wheels for months now. I'm still stuck on metal. Nobody has those dimensions. Any suggestions? I would really like to be able to take my doom wheels to Carribean early next month. I already have the wheels...I even plan to setup disc brakes, although I not sure if I can just run a cable from the wheel to my hands with no problems.:puzzled:
doomwheels
Grand Pubah

[*] posted on 17-12-2003 at 12:48 PM

Quote:
Nobody has those dimensions.
I am surprized... 3/8" x 3/4" iron rods are pretty common. I even wonder if Home Depot has some. But I can't really suggest any place by name because I found it at the first shop I went to and didn't need to shop around.

Again, I would suggest hooking up with a machine shop or someone who does welding. You will need them to drill the holes anyway and I'm sure they would be happier if you bought the rod stock from them as well.

If you live in a small town, try venturing out to the big city. If all fails... you may try the 1" x 1/4", but I don't think you will be happy with the results. In my opinion, the rails need to be absolutely rigid and weight is an advantage.

I have an idea... search the yellow pages for someone who builds iron gates and fences.

Quote:
I even plan to setup disc brakes...
In 13 years of off-road kiteskating, I've never been in a situation where a brake would be a good thing. Perhaps if you were over-powered and let go of the kite while skating downhill on a narrow path... but otherwise I'm not sure it would be a benefit.

However, don't let my words stop the creative process... try it out and if you find that brakes are an advantage, tell us about your findings.

Cheers,
BC

cuica

Mood: Feelin' Groovy!

[*] posted on 24-12-2003 at 02:33 AM
Metal...

http://www.mcmaster.com Part No. 8910K178

3/4 x 3/8 x 6' steel bar for about $14.

Also check out catalogue page 1200 for some cheap 10" wheels! Rated at 80lbs and with a ball bearing I reckon these would be ideal.... Less than $8 each!

:singing:
matrix02

[*] posted on 24-12-2003 at 08:49 AM
Rust/Strength

My machinist is conserned about the metal rusting from sailing on the beach. I thought I could get paint to protect my metal. Also they are concerned about a 1/2" hole in a 3/4" metal. Does'nt leave much metal around the hole. Will the axles break? I'm going to Home Depot today to try and find 4" bolts to mount my skates and also spacers.

Go faster!
matrix02

[*] posted on 24-12-2003 at 09:07 AM
What kind of metal?

Thanks for the site, but once I found the right word to look for I found many sites. Problem is everybody wants to know what type of steel I want. I've been looking at 303 stainless steel, but now some guy says 303 is a problem now. I'm WAY over my head. I thought steel was steel. I wanted the disc brakes in case I lose my sail and have no brakes or if I want to just go offroad skating with no sail.:rolleyes:

Go faster!
doomwheels
Grand Pubah

[*] posted on 27-12-2003 at 04:03 AM

Yes, painting is a good idea. I painted my rails black although some has worn off over the years. Still, no rust even where the metal is bare.

Regarding the hole size... the 1/2 inch holes are only at the end of the rails for the axles. There is plenty strength left in the thick metal around the holes. I even opened the holes at the end of the rails so that the wheels can slide easily out like a bicycle wheel when loosened. If the axle is tightened properly, there should not be enough stress on the rail ends to cause damage (my rails are now 11 years old).

Note: I opened the rail ends for quick tire changes, but since realized that I have seldom needed to change wheels. Therefore, this is just a matter of preference and the ends can certainly be left closed if you are worried about them breaking.

cuica... great catch on that metal rod source! We've needed something like that for a while. I'd caution, however, using high-pressure tires. Mine inflate to 35lbs, but I soon realized that I get a smoother ride with more traction (less chatter and skipping) if I let the pressure out to about 15 lbs. My next set of skates will use wheels that are more tire and less wheel. Who knows... maybe buggy wheels!

matrix02

[*] posted on 27-12-2003 at 09:24 PM
I built them!!

Today I went to have the rails drilled. I also got the spacers cut out of PVC. I test one skate indoors by jumping up and down on one foot. These babies seem tough!! The weight is definately tollerable.

I'm painting the rails right now. I'm applying 3 coats of primer. Later I will paint with a final coat a some colored paint. I'm gonna design it on my PC first.

The only thing I'm missing is the fourth wheel! I still have'nt bought it. The wheel compant won't tell me exactly which brake assembly works with thier disc wheel. I'm really pushing, trying to take these skates to the U.S. Virgin Islands on the 1st of January!! I'll never have this figured out and have a wheel shipped to me in time!! I've got to push the wheel company to help me more and fast.

Go faster!
matrix02

[*] posted on 28-12-2003 at 01:38 PM
How do I stop??

It looks like installing brakes might be costly and complicated. I guess you don't really drop your kite, but I will be using a sail. In high winds I may loose control in a high gust where I need to get away from all power so I can focus on staying on my feet, then slowing down. I'll through the sail and jam on my skate brakes after briefly getting my balance.

I'm thinking of maybe other ways I can brake on the doom wheels. I'm wondering if there is some way I can jam the wheels with my other skate or maybe I can run the 2 front tires together. Maybe I can use a wedge of some sort on a spring of some sort that dangles it just above the reat wheel. I'll have to reach down and pull the wedge down and jam it into the wheel. This is more for dirt and grass runs. I suppose I could learn a hockey stop on sand and also I don't think I'll get very far in sand without any power. I think the sand makes great brakes when you are only coasting. Have you used your skates without any kite? I mean like rolling down a hill with only gravity pushing you? Can you skate at all in these skates or do you have to be pulled by wind or gravity?

Go faster!
doomwheels
Grand Pubah

[*] posted on 29-12-2003 at 09:52 AM

Quote:
...some way I can jam the wheels with my other skate or maybe I can run the 2 front tires together. Maybe I can use a wedge of some sort...

I can already hear the bloody screams and the muted sound of a 30 mph head plant! Try this, rise the kite to its stall point and turn your skates directly into the wind... you'll be surprised how fast you will stop.

For more instructions on stopping, [url=href://www.doomwheels.com/kiteskating/learn.php]CLICK HERE[/url].

Quote:
Can you skate at all in these skates or do you have to be pulled by wind or gravity?

Skating (under your own power) is a bit awkward and really uses your upper gluts, but it can be done. In moments of insufficient wind, I tend to amuse myself by skating around the buggy camp. And of course you will regularly skate while setting out your lines.

A word of advice now that you are completing your skates... take your time and become comfortable with all your equipment. If you are new to power flying, wait until you are proficient with a kite before combining the two elements. Wear safety gear and use your head.

Good luck,
BC

matrix02

[*] posted on 29-12-2003 at 05:41 PM
I'm using a sail

Remember I'm using a sail not a kite. I use a 3.3 sail that rests on my skate boot. My concern about stopping is in the event that I drop my sail for any reason. I can come to a very quick stop when I do have my sail in my hand, but if it fall I'm in trouble.

I skated about 1/4 mile today in the WOD. Definately awkward and heavy. The wind was too low so I only practiced having these things on. There's gonna be wind tommorow so I'm excited about hitting the nearby beach tommorow. I hope the wind is in the right direction tomorow.

I have an idea for brakes. How about a small cylinder suspended by something like a spring just above the gap between the wheel and the skate. You pull on a cable that pulls the cylinder into the gap and locking you into a sliding stop. This would work for emergency stopping only as it would only give you 100% braking power ever.

Go faster!
doomwheels
Grand Pubah

[*] posted on 2-1-2004 at 01:46 AM

How about this... use a typical bicycle brake setup by bridging the skate rails behind the heel with a metal plate (say, 1.5 inch wide). Drill a single hole in the center of the plate to mount the brake clamp assembly and attach a hand held brake lever to your hip or chest. The brake clamp will lay parallel to the skate rails with the pads contacting the wheel rim in normal fashion.

It is only necessary to put brakes on one rear wheel and by attaching the lever to your body will leave your hands free to work your sail.

I once used a hand-held sail a few years back and never got going fast enough to need brakes or to justify the effort of manhandling the sail. I don't mean to talk you out of it, rather that once you've tried it a few times with the sail, give kiting a try. The controllable power, the feeling of freedom to sail around a large area, efficient use of wind, and the ease of speed control are advantages to using a 4-line foil kite. Check it out: http://www.doomwheels.com/gallery/kiteskate.php

Anyway... I'd love to see a pic of your setup. Be sure to post an action shot here when you get rolling.

cuica

Mood: Feelin' Groovy!

[*] posted on 11-2-2004 at 06:59 AM
finished my skates (almost)

I've (almost) finished my skates - http://www.redhot.freeuk.com/doom.htm

Just need to grind off the ends of the bolts etc and I'm ready to test.

I had a go at landboarding at the weekend and failed miserably - the wind was strong, I could only just walk upwind with the kite parked overhead, so maybe this is the problem, but I'd appreciate any tips?

Which is harder to get started with, skates or a board?
doomwheels
Grand Pubah

[*] posted on 12-2-2004 at 08:21 AM

Interesting skates! I hope to hear more about your experiences.

I know that you like those solid wheels, but I wonder what kind of traction/comfort you will get from them.

Once I tried the test skates of a friend who use similar wheels and the ride chattered my teeth even on the smooth desert surface. It was also impossible to lean into the power of the kite. They were fine for speeds under 20 mph.

If you have similar probelms try a softer tire. I noticed some wheels in the
McMaster-Carr catalog that looked promising - pages #1198-1199. The scooter wheels I use will inflate to 35lbs but I get my best ride when I underinflate them (about 15lbs).

Good luck!
BC

matrix02

sad.gif posted on 14-2-2004 at 05:59 PM
Right turning bias??

Today I went out to skate on a bike path next to the water. Wind was west at 20MPH and I was skating north<>south. My skates kept turning to the right when I put my sail up. I was really a pain because everything else was superb. The wind was great and I was padded up and ready to go, but it kept turning me to windward when I go south and to leeward when I go north. Aparently when I put the sail on my skate my left foot REALLY wanted to turn right. The only way I was able to go straight was to REALLY muscle the turning skate left. This was very difficult. I also noticed that when I leaned into the wind I seemed to go more straight. HELP! What should I do?
doomwheels
Grand Pubah

[*] posted on 19-2-2004 at 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by matrix02
My skates kept turning to the right when I put my sail up.
As you are using a handheld sail mounted to your skate boot, it makes sense that the forces put on your skates are effecting your course. I could only suggest altering the mounting position... try further back toward the heel and see what happens.
Quote:
I also noticed that when I leaned into the wind I seemed to go more straight.
Yes, when you lean against the wind the force from the sail mount on the skate boot is more in line with the forces your body (and weight) are applying to your wheels. When you are skating in a verticle stance, your sail is pulling your skates sideways. Leaning against the pull of the sail better applies all forces to the ground and your rear wheels.

These are issues not experienced when using a kite, but I have tried handheld sails in the past and can relate to the problems you are experiencing. Hope this is of some help.

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio