Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: PKD Buster Soulfly 3.3
lamrith

Mood: Who stole my wind!?

thumbup.gif posted on 9-11-2011 at 09:02 PM
PKD Buster Soulfly 3.3

The Unpack
The kite and included items come packaged in a simple but effective backpack/bag. While some may say the bag is lame and does not compare to that of other Mfg, it is just there to hold your kite when not flying and make carrying it easier. You don’t fly a bag…

Included items:
•Kite
•Set of Quad lines on a std line winder.
•Pair of black Quad line handles with pre-attached strop
•One pair of long Kite Killers
•Pair of nice ground stakes in a Cordura sleeve
•Pair of orange bags for holding kite down
•One clear/white window decal.

All of the items are packed in the bag individually; the lines and handles are not connected from the factory. This is a bit of a double edged sword, for a brand new flier that has never touched or seen a quad line kite it could be a challenge. However, there is a manual showing proper line hook up, handle staking, the wind window, and launching your kite. This also makes you inspect and check everything as you unpack and having to hook everything from scratch will make you understand how everything is connected. This can be invaluable if you have a problem down the line, or unpack your kite and the lines are all twisted and knotted up. That WILL happen, trust me.
Handles
The handles are basic foam covered quad line handles. The brake lines are color coded Blue and Red. The top lines are in fact one long line that is both the power line connections and a built in strop. Simple, solid and effective.
Lines
The lines are all wrapped on your std line winder. The lines are bright yellow with color coded sleeves. The power lines are heavier than the brake lines. Mine unwound a little twisted, but that is more likely me than how they are done at the factory and a single walk of the lines had them sorted with no knots. I attached the lines to the handles and staked them off while leaving the kite folded up in the bag. This let me walk and fully separate them prior to having the kite out and in the wind trying to power up.
Kite
The kite is folded up with the bridal lines nicely tucked inside. Laying out the kite you are presented with the bridal lines all tied up to prevent tangling in transit. The left and right main bridles are tied together in the center of the kite, the brake lines are then tied to their respective power line. This makes it very easy to identify each line and hookup the brake lines 1st then power lines. The bridle lines on the leading edge are color coordinated to simplify line hook-up as well.

1st Impression
This kite looks very well built. The bridal lines are clean and neat as is the stitching between cells. The kite fills with air as soon as the leading edge see's air and sits on the brakes ready to launch quite well. My 1st day there was no wind by the time I had it set-up and ready to launch, so I had to pack up and head home.
I was expecting this kite to be difficult to repack, given previous comments. I brought the tips in to the center then folded each side by halves bring the outside edges to the middle until I had each side about the width of the handles with lines wound up around them. I put the handles in the middle but down toward the trailing edge, then folded the kite around them. I then folded the trailing edge and handles up toward the nose of the kite. After that I folded the leading edge back over the trailing edge so the bridal lines were completely enclosed. Wrapped up this way the kit fit back in the bag no problem at all, and even had enough room at the top of the bag for a pair of gloves, wind meter and could fit both included sandbags filled with sand.

Next post will be for 1st & 2nd flight days and summary.

Old Dual line Delta
NTK Techno - Todd
PKD BusterIII 2m - BigKid
PKD Buster Soulfly 3.3 - BigKid
PL Pepper2 8m - BigKid
Rev B full sail & full vent - Awindofchange
Rev Blast - WCRC attendee
Rev B midvent - kitestakes.com
Rev SLE - BigKid

Hookin your kids to kites early = priceless
lamrith

[*] posted on 9-11-2011 at 09:02 PM
Flight & Summary

1st Flight
I returned to the park the next day there appeared to be some wind. Unpacking the kit I did not unpack the lines as I had packed. As mentioned previously, this made a big mess. It took 15min of walking and untangling to get it all sorted out. Wind was once again sporadic0, 3, 5, 3, 5, 0mph. With the help of a friend I was able to launch hand fly the kite a few times and get a few passes each time there was a breeze. But overall not a useful flying session aside from getting line and kite tips from an experienced friend.

2st Flight
A few days passed and the winds came up so I returned to the park for a much better flying session. Initial winds were the same 3-5mph sporadic. This kite “will fly” in 5mph but just barely, you have to keep it moving at all times, no trying to go to apex or sides and rest. There were a few fly and drop, fly and drop sessions as the winds jumped around. I was having to do quite a bit of movement both on foot and hand to keep it flying under 5mph. The overly long kite killers were wrapping around the brake and power lines so I removed them since the winds were so low.

After about an hour the winds finally picked up and sustained 5mph with gusts to 8, so I landed and put the kite killers back on. The kite really came alive with some air to use, nice smooth turns with power lines only, good speed across the window, nice tight turns adding brake. The kite flew solid and consistent, no twitchiness or unexpected flight patterns, smooth and steady. Power was solid thru a wide window area and the kite carried good momentum thru turns. Doing figure 8’s I was using upturns 95% of the time just to try and burn some momentum and the kite just kept pulling. This kite likes to move and generates quite a bit of power the faster it goes. Once the wind came up above 5mph sustained I had to drop down onto my butt as leaning back my feet were starting to slip suddenly on the grass, foot scudding was not an option. Winds started to sustain 7-10mph and I was really enjoying this kite, it just cranks! Late in the 1st long session (I had to land after 20min as I could not physically hold the kite any longer.) I was actually able to use the power from the kite to lift myself up off the ground completely. 220# pulled up from sitting position in 8-10mph winds. Brief rest and back at it for another good 20min session, the kite was just a dream. Low passes dragging a wingtip in the grass, looping high in the window, this kite went exactly where I wanted when I wanted. I was quite impressed given this was my 1st day flying a quad line.

With good wind, the brakes work well and I was able to bring the kite right down to the ground on brakes at will. I had the brake lines hanging loose in normal flight and just had to point the tops at the kite and the kite shut right down. Once stalle, a quick pump on the power lines and it was off to the races again, same with launching off the ground. I was not able to hold the kite in one place in the window, but that is likely me as much as the kite, once stopped from forward motion the kite would tend to slide backwards even after brakes are released. But as mentioned a quick tug on the power lines and she was moving forward again. Going to zenith the kite did seem to overlfy it a bit and required a touch of brake to not go too far. I did not get much of a chance to fly up in that area due to sun position. Late in the day the wind did a 180* flip on me, literally during flight. I was low wind then the kite lost power and then bowtied. After staking handles I picked up the kite and it wrapped around me. I reset for new wind direction, but it was down below 3mph so I called it a day. Good thing, I could barely lift my arms!

Summary
We have a winner! I cannot find any fault or issue with this kite that would not make it the kite I recommend to anyone looking for a 1st power kite. Especially anyone on a budget or anyone unsure if they will enjoy power kiting. It is a solid performer, stable and predictable, with plenty of power above 7mph. This complete package can be found for $180new putting it well below the price of the other popular brands. This is a “no frills” package, the bag is a simple ripstop tube with basic straps. The handles are all black rubber coated. No fancy designs, or flashy colors. There are a pair of nice ground stacks included like most other kites on the market. However the package does also include a pair of bags to fill with sand which is unique to help new fliers weigh down their kite without throwing sand on it. The kite itself is a 3 color swoosh pattern with no Mfg logo or silk-screening. PKD put the $ where it really counts, the materials & design, they kept the price low by not adding visual flash or fancy bags that are of no help or use to a new flier.

Thumbs way way up on this kite, super bang for the buck!:wee::smilegrin:

I have to also extend a big thanks to Jeff @ bigkid kites for letting me get hands on a 4.4buster and 6.7 century while I was trying to decide what to buy. I can’t recommend him enough, he took 2+hrs out of his evening sharing kite info and flight time without ever pushing for a sale.

I also highly recommend to anyone looking to buy that they demo something before they buy a 1st kite. Even if not an exact model at least something in the size range and wind’s you expect helps. I thought a 4m would be fine, and I may have been, but after flying both I am glad for the smaller size given our typical wind swings. I would not have known that without demoing the 4.4.

My next experiment is going to be packing the kite so that I can pull the handles& lines out without unpacking the kit fully. I don't like the full parapack technic, but I wish to try a variation with wrapping the lines around the handles. It should just mean putting the handles one layer out in the folding.
I already am using the sock over the handles trick and really like it thanks to whoever came up with that idea!

I will add a post here with pictures of folding this kite up as soon as I get a chance to take pictures.

Old Dual line Delta
NTK Techno - Todd
PL Pepper2 8m - BigKid
Rev SLE - BigKid

Bladerunner

[*] posted on 9-12-2011 at 06:33 AM

Funny thing about PKD's ripstop bags. I find them to be ideal for keeping kite seperate when I pack it in the buggy or shipping bag.

I kind of like the idea of keeping costs down with such a bag.

Why does the PKD link from resouces on this forum still show Paul as the North American didtributer ?
BigKid is now distributing PKD . They are a great kite that should not be overlooked!

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
bigkid

Mood: :-)

[*] posted on 9-12-2011 at 08:29 AM

Hope the wind will let you fly soon, would like to hear about the kids flying the kite also:lol:

Appex buggy, Libre hardcore buggies.
Flexboardz. Blokarts.
PKD Century Soulflys. NPW's. Nasa Stars.
A few other less flown oddballs,
Line sets from 10" to 328" or 2m to 100m.
worlds only AQR that works.
North American distributor for PKD.
"Kite Bugging is not an addiction until you try to quit".
jaymzmn

[*] posted on 9-12-2011 at 08:59 AM

+1 for PKD Busters! Had a Buster 2 3meter - probably my favourite kite ever. Looking back, probably a mistake trading it!

in the quiver:
PKD Buster 2 3m SOLD
PKD Buster Soulfly 2.2 LOST
HQ Scout 4m SOLD
Flexifoil Blade3 6.6 Flo Green SOLD
Flysurfer Rookie2 6m Gold Edition SOLD
Flexifoil Sabre 2 9.5m Petrol with upgraded V CORE bar SOLD
Slingshot Ranger 12metre SOLD
Libre Deluxe seat harness SOLD
Dakine Tabu harness with pivoting hook SOLD
Flexifoil Blade2 4.9 Yellow SOLD
HQ Beamer V 4m SOLD
Ozone Flow 5m on bar (dark olive green)
extra Ozone bar
27 metre wipika lines for the strange days SOLD
Riding: MBS Atom 95, Slingshot Jarvis 157 SOLD, Salomon Shade 155
lamrith

[*] posted on 9-12-2011 at 10:59 AM

I already did Jeff, just had to write it up. Flight review and summary is now updated above!

No way I could let kids fly it, winds always seem gusty and one pass all was mellow, next pass it was lifting me off my butt. I had to sit down to fly much if the afternoon.:wee:

I just need to geta 2m for them when it is windy! :rolleyes:

Old Dual line Delta
NTK Techno - Todd
PL Pepper2 8m - BigKid
Rev SLE - BigKid

lamrith

[*] posted on 9-12-2011 at 08:21 PM
3rd flight session

Was lucky tonight, I was in the area and the local station on wunderground said winds were up so I hustled over to chambers. Yes I keep the buster in my car with me!:wee:

I got to site and wind was only 3mph-ish with higher gusts. I dropped kite rolled out lines. Had to walk lines fully and rotate both handles 1x as the brake and power lines were twisted. I am still working on wind/unwind the same but think I have it now after 3 days...

Brakes staked and kite open to wind I had to wait a couple minutes for wind to come up above 3mph. Got the kite up on a gust and was able to work it side to side, keeping moving without backing up to much. Eventually the wind picked up and I was in business. I am working on doing down turns, but find upturns so much easier with this kite! I think the wind came up to the 7mph range above ground. The kite was actually generating power on the side of the window as I would turn up from ground level to 30-40ft, then figure 8 down across the window center and turn back up on the other side.

I just can't get enough of this kite, it just goes and goes!!:wee::singing: :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Once wind drops under 5mph it gets tough to fly, so I would land it and wait a minute for wind to return once I lost wind and momentum. I only had to walk the kite back out once from backing myself out of room to keep airborn.

I tried a variant of parapacking when I headed home. Basically folded up the kite completely and put it in the bag with lines hanging out back to still staked handles. Then Used the handles in sock trick to figure 8 the lines around the handles back to the bag. Left a few inches of line loose to ease of unpacking. Then wrapped everything in Killers and stuffed in the bag. It took <9min from time I landed the kite to having bag on my shoulder walking to car. I will let everyone know how that works when I unpack the next time! :thumbup:

Old Dual line Delta
NTK Techno - Todd
PL Pepper2 8m - BigKid
Rev SLE - BigKid

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio