Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Initial For Sale posts - Make uneditable
joedy

[*] posted on 9-3-2011 at 09:20 AM
Initial For Sale posts - Make uneditable

Would it be possible to make an initial For Sale listing uneditable? Some sellers are removing their posts or their asking prices when they sell their items.

Making their initial listing uneditable would allow PKF to keep a "history" or permanent record (of sorts) of what past selling amounts have been for particular items.

This will help power kiters have a way of researching either asking prices or negotiating current offers.

-joedy

Flysurfer Speed3 19m Deluxe
Liquid Force Envy 12m
Flysurfer Pulse2 12m
HQ Matrixx 15m
HQ Hydra 350
erratic winds

Mood: ATGATT! Armor up!

[*] posted on 9-3-2011 at 09:27 AM

I believe users do that to not kill resale value just because someone might have unloaded a nice kite for a steal. One fire sale shouldn't necessarily be able to drive market prices from then on, in my opinion.

Tide? What's a tide? Man, it's 1000 miles to any ocean.
greasehopper

Mood: surfin' wit de' A-wee-ums

[*] posted on 9-3-2011 at 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by joedy

Making their initial listing uneditable would allow PKF to keep a "history" or permanent record (of sorts) of what past selling amounts have been for particular items.

This will help power kiters have a way of researching either asking prices or negotiating current offers.

-joedy

Why block editing ? Tracking resale values ? Trying to turn a buck ? Wanting to hold someone's feet to the fire ? Yeah, those are ALL very bad ideas around this bunch

The market today on a particular item may be completely different than six months from now. Let's just trust folks judgement about what is or is not a good value for their dollar.

Particularly bad idea as edits allow easy updates on "sold" items and price drops at the top of the page.

I was far more concerned with trader reputation and found the "Good Trader List" was a far more valuable tool. After several flawless transactions with members on the forum I feel fully confident there is little to fear in terms of misrepresented product. These guys police their own very effectively. :thumbup:

Ken Shaw
Riding the wild sastrugi of the Sonoran Desert
Flexifoil : Blurr 3.5m, 5m
HQ : Beamer IV 5m : Montana V 9.5m : Crossfire II 3m
Ozone : Haka 5m : Cult 2.5m : Flow 2m : Imp 1.5m
Peter Lynn : Core 6.7m, 5.1m, 4m, 3m
Revolution : Speed series Blast : 1.5 SLE
indigo_wolf

Mood: Weaned by leopards, raised by wolves...

[*] posted on 9-3-2011 at 02:11 PM

Quote:
    Would it be possible to make an initial For Sale listing uneditable? Some sellers are removing their posts or their asking prices when they sell their items.

The problem with making posts uneditable is that it would apply to all posts, not just those in the "For Sale" section. I am on at least one forum that makes posts unavailable for edit past the first 10-20 minutes after it is initially made..... it's a royal PITA. Mostly with regards to responding to technical questions or for the OCD-tainted that go back and correctly spelling/grammer errors weeks... even months later :embarrased:.

It's not a technical issue, it's a cultural thing. There are other forums where people leave prices (even incremental price drops) up.

For clarification:
    1. People can't delete their posts or other people's posts.
    2. People can edit there posts down to nothing.
    3. People can't edit other people's posts (except for moderators).
Think about that that slowly and carefully... there are two solutions for your complaint that don't require admin/moderator intervention or forum changes.... and at least one of them will tend to piss off some people.

Quote:
Originally posted by erratic winds
I believe users do that to not kill resale value just because someone might have unloaded a nice kite for a steal. One fire sale shouldn't necessarily be able to drive market prices from then on, in my opinion.

IMHO, a thoroughly ridiculous notion.

Previous sales are a guideline and nothing more. If there are 5 sales for an item and the prices are all over the place, it's quite obvious that some of them are "fire" sales. More importantly, if you actually read the full listings and you see that people are selling kites because they are moving or trying to fund another kite purchase, it's quite apparent when pricing is being driven other factors above and beyond merchandise value.

Prior listings do help (a lot) when neither party is sure of what price is "fair." It's helped me and another seller on at least one other forum.

In another case, it was a kite there are very, very few of in the US. The seller and I contact 3 other long time flyers and asked for their opinions on "fair market value".... just like prior listings, there opinions were just used as guidelines.... the final deliberation was between me and the seller.

No one's going to get struck lightning for deviating from any perceived guidelines from prior listings. We're all grown-ups and should be able to suss out pricing anomalies in prior listings without the need to artifically obfuscate them.

Feel like someone is "holding your feet to the fire" (regardless of what side of the transaction you are on)? Walk away... negotiations are not a binding committment here or anywhere else. As long as you are clear in your communications about turning down an offer, that should be the end of the matter.

"Drive down the market price"? When did kites become pork belly futures?

As far as someone editing/"marking up"/"marking down" a kite after the sale, I expect that would immediately redline the bulls|t meter with pyrotechnic results.

ATB,
Sam

"I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was 12 - Jesus, does anyone?" - The Body by Stephen King
B-Roc

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 9-3-2011 at 03:29 PM

I have asked in the past here too that sellers not delete the asking price of the kite after it is sold. If you sell it for less or make a private deal, that is between you and the buyer but I would ask all sellers to LEAVE the original or last posted price in their post after the sale. It makes benchmarking a lot easier when it comes to selling your own kites of the same or similar size / model. I don't sell a lot of kites but I have sold my share and I always try to base my asking price on what I paid and what other similar kites have sold for. When all the asking prices are removed it makes it hard to determine fair market value in the current economy.

Depower Quiver: 14m Gin Eskimo, 10m Gin Eskimo III, 6m Gin Yeti, 4.5m Gin Yeti (custom bridle and mixer)
Fixed Bridle Quiver: MAC Bego 400, JOJO ET Instinct 2.5 & 5.5, Lil Devil 1.5, Sting 1.2
Rides: Ground Industries
thanson2001ok

Mood: SAD! Moving and kites are in a box.

[*] posted on 9-3-2011 at 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by B-Roc
... I would ask all sellers to LEAVE the original or last posted price in their post after the sale. It makes benchmarking a lot easier when it comes to selling your own kites of the same or similar size / model. I don't sell a lot of kites but I have sold my share and I always try to base my asking price on what I paid and what other similar kites have sold for. When all the asking prices are removed it makes it hard to determine fair market value in the current economy.

What he said.

Todd... NAPKA US59 \"Have you taught a kid to fly lately?\"
Ozone 4m, 10m AccessXC
PL 19m, 16m Venom | 10m, 13m Venom II | 17m Vortex | 2.6m Viper | 2.3m Vapor | 6m, 9m, 15m Phantom | 22m Guerilla
Flysurfer 8m, 12m DLX Unity |8m Outlaw| 19m Speed 2.5 SA | 2.5m, 6m Viron
Action Vortex 6.6m Foil (FOR SALE) | Mac Bego 600
Flexifoil 1.2m, 2.4m Sting | 6.6m Blade III
The Original Flexifoil and Hawaiian Team Kite
Snow: Volant Alpine Skis | SnowBlades | PL Ice Buggy | PL KiteSled Land: Coyote Skates | Ivanpah Buggy
Water: Peter Lynn KiteCat
joedy

[*] posted on 9-4-2011 at 08:10 AM

B-Roc summaries my rationale in asking that the selling price (or, if possible) if the original listing can remain intact. It's not an intent to make or find a kite windfall, but knowing what the market has borne for a specific kite model makes it possible to post realistic prices or to negotiate fair prices.

Sam mentions that the software tools to do this must be applied universally and that obviously won't (and shouldn't) stand muster with the vast majority of regulars who hang out at PKF. So, this answers my initial question.

If a user quotes the original listing, won't the quoted speech be listed in posterity?

-joedy

Flysurfer Speed3 19m Deluxe
Liquid Force Envy 12m
Flysurfer Pulse2 12m
HQ Matrixx 15m
HQ Hydra 350
indigo_wolf

Mood: Weaned by leopards, raised by wolves...

[*] posted on 9-4-2011 at 09:23 AM

Quote:
If a user quotes the original listing, won't the quoted speech be listed in posterity?

-joedy

If you quote the original posting, than only you or a moderator can edit/delete that quoted text.

That's what I was alluding to in the paragraph that begins "Think about that that slowly and carefully... "

Fur may fly, feathers may ruffle, but I don't think the stars are in any danger of falling from the sky.

ATB,
Sam

"I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was 12 - Jesus, does anyone?" - The Body by Stephen King
pkf

Mood: Squiggly

[*] posted on 9-4-2011 at 10:30 AM

There are suficient reasons to leave the original post editable. Also we tend to remove for sale threads older than 3 months - gonna get to that one of these days.

The Power Kite Forum
Kite Traction Sports Community
http://www.powerkiteforum.com

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio