Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: coyote-style rollerblades?
Jacob1234098

[*] posted on 4-10-2011 at 01:45 PM
coyote-style rollerblades?

I am a recreational rollerblader looking for rollerblades that will allow me to skate long distances on asphalt and rough concrete without dropping $50 every few weeks on new wheels (asphalt tears up standard rollerblade polyurethane wheels). It blows my mind that there is not a manufacturer of this type of rollerblade. The coyotes look perfect, but I'm size 12 and I don't think I'll be finding a pair anytime soon.

I've scanned the forums. It seems most people here are making doomwheels. This is NOT what I want. Ideally, I want the skates to repond similar to standard rollerblades (same turning radius, stability, weight, etc). If I could find inflatable wheels 4 inches in diameter or less with bearings, I would be very happy.

Just curious for those who own coyotes. Are they good for long-distance rollerblading on streets, dirt roads, etc?

Thanks! It seems there is very little information regarding what I'm trying to do on the internet. Very strange.:puzzled:
indigo_wolf

Mood: Weaned by leopards, raised by wolves...

[*] posted on 4-10-2011 at 02:23 PM

You might find this of interest:

Building Coyotes just by the frames

GateSkate/TrailSkate All-Terrain Skates

Terrablades (not cheap)

Skike Off-Road Skates

It would make sense for Rollerblade to to have a product with rails/frames that could be swapped out for road and trail riding using the same boot.

However, the popularity of inline skates has diminished from its peak and a lot of things that inline skate companies might have experimented with at one point have gone by the wayside. Coyotes were sunsetted from the Rollerblade line when there wasn't enough of a perceived demand.

At one time, Rollerblade made what was arguably the most technical, comfortable and usable pair of wrist guards available. They even got a patent for it. They sold it for a season or two and then as finances and the economy took a downturn they mothballed it away in their archives. I still hope that someone with an ounce of imagination brings them back or at least sells the license for it to a company that will.

ATB,
Sam

"I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was 12 - Jesus, does anyone?" - The Body by Stephen King
Jacob1234098

[*] posted on 4-10-2011 at 03:28 PM

Hey, thanks for the quick response. I did find the diy coyote page, but unfortunately I have to obtain a coyote frame for that. So I'd need to buy a pair of coyote's anyway. However, I read I can use any size shoe for the frame then? So, if I bought a size 7 coyote skate, I could mount my size 12 rollerblade shoe on this?

The skikes look reasonable but also really long, similar to the doomwheels. Sharp turns and short-range agility would be heavily impaired by this.

Any suggestions on making coyote frames myself and mounting my rollerblade boots on them? Could I get a metalshop to cut a frame like this for me (not necessarily as fancy - just functional). Any tips?
Jacob1234098

[*] posted on 4-10-2011 at 03:29 PM

Whoops, double posted.
doneski

Mood: even when I have time to kite, I don't have time to kite

[*] posted on 4-10-2011 at 03:52 PM

I kite with Coyotes and used to do lots of in-line skating; 25 mile skates, commute on skates, and raced. You DO NOT want to use Coyotes on the street. They are too heavy, the wheels take too long to spin up to speed, and they are not playful. They are only good for being pulled by a kite. Advertisements show people using Coyotes on dirt roads and as long as it is packed dirt and smooth you're probably going to be OK but it would be more work than I'm willing to do.

Forget Doom Wheels, I made a pair and they don't turn and they don't have brakes and I wouldn't want to have to do any evasive skating with them like when a car crowds you off the road. They are good for straight line speed with a kite.

Get a skate with 80MM to 84MM wheels and then look on the internet for blems. These are wheels that have cosmetic imperfections but work fine. Get the highest durometer you can since they wear the longest. You'll be able to get them for under $5 a wheel. The bigger the wheel, the longer it lasts but as you go up in size they get heavier and take longer to spin up to speed. Once up to speed, if you have good bearings they really cruise well. 80-84 are still small enough that you can jump around or skate backwards. If you just want to cruise, look for 100MM wheels. If you want to cruise cheep, look for a 5 wheel racing frame and bolt it onto your existing boots.

I love Nahant but rarely get there anymore.
Skis, skates, coyotes, buggy, Beamer 1.8, Apex 3III,'Flow 3 & 5, Peak1 6 & 9, Venom1 10 & 12. Wings Wings Wings.
PHREERIDER

Mood: chilled....but ready to SAIL!

[*] posted on 4-10-2011 at 06:01 PM

agree with doneski, too heavy for a roll, downhill seems fair though.

did a set of doom wheels with ATB 8", better than the 12" but very SKI like. incredible straight line speed

set of race frames like eagle hawk or mogema for 84's or 5x90mm are may fav , but 84 blems are much cheaper. try nettracing good selection.

on the build, select wheel and tire FIRST build from there . the more common the selection, the cheaper. go custom ! or terrablades but thats more ski like, and you need ski boots

good luck

TEAM RIDER for Coastal Wind Sports

http://www.coastalwindsports.com/

VIDEOS for your entertainment while you wait.

http://vimeo.com/user4948152/videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/goldendmd?feature=mhsn
Jacob1234098

[*] posted on 4-10-2011 at 06:08 PM

Thanks a lot doneski. Very helpful. I knew it was risky as I didn't have a clue how such big wheels would respond. It is very disappointing that there are no 4 inch pneumatic wheels out there. I guess that must be a physical limitation or something.

Looks like my current frames support 80mm max. Can 90mm/100mm wheels be 'playful' as you call it?

I searched for 'blem' (blemished?) wheels and didnt see anything. Are you thinking of a particular site? Do you know what the best site is for cheap wheels (84a/80mm)?

Also, do you know if the wheels on 5-wheel frames last longer than 4-wheel frames?

Thanks again.:thumbup:
Bladerunner

[*] posted on 4-10-2011 at 08:04 PM

I also agree. Coyotes are clumsy until you are being dragged by a kite. Then they come into their own and feel a much more natural ski like ride.

I know your pain wearing out wheels. I shop garage sales and buy rollerblades with good wheels just for the wheels.

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
Jaymz

Mood: Wizzy

[*] posted on 4-10-2011 at 09:04 PM

Another one here saying forget the Coyotes. Too Big and heavy. First time I tried them was up and down the street and it was a workout and akward. I sure wouldn't want to skate more then a mile with them suckers. Great for kiting hardpack sand or rec fields as BR said.
Food for thought...
If you want the smoothest fastest ride to cover long distances, I'd go for the Bont Semi, Jet, or Alpha skate.
Skating since '86 starting on original rollerblades, trs lightnings, Tarmacs, Seba freestyle, Powerslide FSK freestyle and now Bont SemiRace skates.
The Bonts are ultralight, and with the 100mm wheels, they glide forever and smooth out rough roads. They're not as agile as rec skates but cover more ground and are alot smoother. The larger wheels don't seem to wear out as fast. Front wheel takes most of the abuse. I use 86a durometer on the front and 84a on the others. Rotate wheels every 100 miles or so. I find wheel deals on Ebay.
We do city group skates in Manhatten, Philly, and DC putting in 80-100 mile days and anyone on rec skates falls out or suffers. I tried once on the FSS-P-A-M-L-I-N-K-s/80mm wheels and suffered :no:

Spleene X-19
PL Syn 15, P18,
Gin Eskimo 14m, 11m, 8.5m, 6m
PL Viper 3.9m
HQ Beamer IV 2m
NPW5 2.5m, 4.8m, 6.9m
HQ Rush3 250 pro (Sons)
Naish Cult 12m, 9m, 7m
Slingshot Rally 14m
Litewave Storm 132, Wing 153
Libre Fullrace, PL Bigfoot
Coyote skates
Dirtsurfer GP20
Kitewing 5.5
KITE IceBoat
Scud boots ;)
Kamikuza

[*] posted on 4-10-2011 at 10:57 PM

On my Mission's I use Labeda Gripper wheels ... they're designed for playing hockey on asphalt and grip good but also last a WHO-OOOLE lot better than any wheels I've used. Cheap wheels tend to fracture and shed large chunks within a session or two so although they don't wear down, they're stuffed. The Gripper's wear but don't fly to pieces until you get to the hubs :D just make sure to keep them rotated!

They're the only ones that come in the sizes I need that aren't aggro skate wheels, which are good'n'hard but too small. I need 72/80mm for the skates ...

http://www.labeda.com/products.php

Yeah... I got a kite. Or two...
Feyd

[*] posted on 4-19-2011 at 03:19 AM

Skating on the Coyotes feels like skiing on a DH ski. Feel okay at speed, turn okay for long turns but in no way do they feel like an regular inline skate to me.

What durometer wheel have you been running? We have pretty chunky pavement here and anything over a 78a gets smoked pretty fast.

Lower than that and you have to rotate the hell out of them. If you're running 5 wheels it's a little better but not much.

Chris Krug-Owner @ Hardwater Kiting. Authorized Dealer of Ozone, Flysurfer, HQ kites.
www.hardwaterkiter.com 603-986-2784
Daimos

[*] posted on 7-8-2011 at 12:23 PM

The Coyotes are mostly for going downhill, and for being pulled by a kite. For those 2 things, they're amazing.
JimmYPT

[*] posted on 4-28-2016 at 02:28 PM

Here are my coyote rollerblades
check them out!
https://youtu.be/gYrwHEYSPNw
Demoknight

Mood: ADIDAK

[*] posted on 5-12-2016 at 10:38 AM

Jacob, get some 110mm wheel frames and 87A duro wheels. You will only need to replace your wheels once or twice a YEAR unless you just have really bad toe push.

NAPKA US8008

Kites:

Ozone R1 V3 7m
Flysurfer Sonic v3 15m
Flysurfer Speed 3 Deluxe 19m
Peter Lynn Charger 2 12m
Ozone Access Reride 6m
Peter Lynn 2013 Reactor 5.5m
Peter Lynn 2013 Reactor 8.6m
Prism Tensor 5.0m

Ride:
GT-Race Code:R6