Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Could I jump with a 3m kite if im a115lbs??????
landon96

question.gif posted on 1-25-2011 at 06:13 PM
Could I jump with a 3m kite if im a115lbs??????

Hey this is my first post and i was wondering if i could jump with a HQ Pro 300. By the way it is a 3m kite and I weigh 115 pounds. Any feedback or suggestions of any kind are greatly appreciated!
:wee:
Seanny

Mood: Tied between the roots of Earth and the sky...

[*] posted on 1-25-2011 at 06:14 PM

Simple answer: NO.

Just don't do it.

Any kite CAN pull you into the air, but it's much too small to KEEP you in the air long enough to provide a soft landing. Please. Do not try to jump this kite.

Sean Tully

i like kites.
landon96

[*] posted on 1-25-2011 at 06:25 PM

How should I go about getting into kite jumping then lol.
furbowski

Mood: stuck on a small island with big trees and tiny beaches...

[*] posted on 1-25-2011 at 06:25 PM

Another way to say it... Sure you can! Landings are the problem, and survivability becomes a big issue.

A 3m kite will be moving a bit too fast for your reflexes, so you won't good controlled jumps. And it's still about a meter too small for any amount of float (even at your weight). Finally your landings will all be hard and fast.

A good 4m might be OK, but you'll be having the best time on 5-6m. (Assuming appropriate winds for your weight)

fixed bridles, flying static, been two years now... ??? folks must be wondering....

sting 1.7, dp power 2.5, crossfire 3.2, ace 5, blade iv 6.5, ace 8, ace 12...

also a couple of arcs, 12 syn and 12 phanny, but i\'m not yet up to speed on them.

(13.11.09)
Seanny

[*] posted on 1-25-2011 at 06:31 PM

Well, there is an unsafe way to kite jump, and there is a sort of safe way to kite jump. There is no completely safe way to do this. Regardless of weight, a 3m kite is just too small and fast to provide enough lift for a safe jump. Even if you did get into the air, the redirect would be very difficult as the kite turns extremely quick, and you'd plummet like a rock. A small kite is good for learning on, but bad for jumping on. A larger kite is unsafe to learn on, but safe(r) to jump on. Kind of a paradox. Once you get really good at learning on your Pro 300, move up to a larger, more lifty kite, in the 5-6 meter range. Then you'll really be able to have a blast. :thumbup: I know a "no" answer is not what you wanted to hear, but taking out a 3m kite in strong winds thinking you're going to get some good hangtime is a surefire way to land yourself in the hospital :(

Sean Tully

i like kites.
landon96

[*] posted on 1-25-2011 at 06:32 PM

Well what kind of stuff could I do with a 3m? Since I live In West Virginia and it being winter. Could I have it easily pull me around on snowboard. IS there something you could do on ice?
furbowski

[*] posted on 1-25-2011 at 06:33 PM

If you want to get into kite jumping you'll need to be ready to roll the dice many many times re: the integrity of your bones.

That said, good smooth winds and soft loose sand for landings can make a big difference.

Also skills. If you can't fly the kite by feel (i.e. blind) around most of the wind window while powered up, spend more hours flying. The skills will come if you put in the hours.

Eventually you'll want a kite quiver which includes a good 4m and a good 6m. It's best to start with the bigger kites in lower winds.

Finally you'll need to be able to walk away from winds that are just that little bit too much for your skills.

Good health insurance, too. You'll be needing that emergency room coverage sooner or later if you get into static jumping, the only question is when.

fixed bridles, flying static, been two years now... ??? folks must be wondering....

also a couple of arcs, 12 syn and 12 phanny, but i\'m not yet up to speed on them.

(13.11.09)
Seanny

[*] posted on 1-25-2011 at 06:34 PM

Most definitely. A 3m kite will easily pull you on a snowboard once the wind picks up. A breeze of about 20 to 30 mph should have you screaming downwind no problem :)

Sean Tully

i like kites.
Seanny

[*] posted on 1-25-2011 at 06:36 PM

I'm typing with a broken right hand because of an incident last week with a Twister II 4.1. Fixed bridle kites are monsters for their size, and you really have to watch it. :P

Sean Tully

i like kites.
WELDNGOD

Mood: Dyin' to go flyin'

[*] posted on 1-25-2011 at 06:37 PM

and welcome to the PKF! Piease listen to the good folks here,they are really a great bunch of folks w/ alot ofpassion for the sport.

WELDNGOD on VIMEO
https://vimeo.com/user2580342

NAPKA US187
PKD
Combat 2.4 / 4.2
Century 1.8 / 5.5
Century II 2.2/2.8/3.5/4.5 /10.0
Brooza IV 3.0 prototype
Buster Soulfly 1.5 / 2.2 (KIA)/ 3.3 (lost at sea)
Buster Soulfly PRO 3.3 / 4.4
Buster (gen 1) 5.5
FLEXIFOIL
Sting 1.7 Punk
Rage 2.5 / 3.5/ 4.7
Revolution 1.5 SLE
17 ply Custom TRAMPA w/ verTIGo trucks
2 homebrew buggies,2 homebrew KYTBYKS,1 homebrew tandem trailer
GOPRO 3 WHITE, 3+ BLACK, HERO5 BLACK
CONTOUR HD
LET YOUR SOULFLY!

RIDER for KOKOPELLI KITER

landon96

[*] posted on 1-25-2011 at 07:04 PM

Wow lol. If only we had sand in West Virginia I'd be in kite heaven!. I do fly a dual line stunt kite a bit. Does anyone have any kite suggestions I might want to "upgrade" to in the future? I'm 5'4 115lbs. Any good tips, tricks, guides, and how-to's are very appreciated! Thanks for all the help so far!:singing:
lad

Mood: chilling...literally...

[*] posted on 1-25-2011 at 07:12 PM

DO NOT PASS GO...DO NOT COLLECT $200....GO STRAIGHT TO JAIL....Totally ***WRONG*** ideal...fergetabouditt.
:ticking::ticking::ticking::ticking::ticking::ticking::ticking::ticking::ticking::ticking:
B-Roc

[*] posted on 1-25-2011 at 08:04 PM

All the advice given is good and sound but we aren't all good and sound all the time :wink2:

My 8 year old "jumps" with his 1.2 sting and 1.5 lil devil. Does he go high or far? No. Does he have a ball? Yes. Does he fly it in the conditions you or I would fly a 1.5m kite? No.

I've jumped with my 2.5 JOJO. Usually just looking for a little boost, not something I'd consider a major jump. Just a micro second of weightlessness. I've also "jumped" with my 2.5 and hit the ground hard (hard enough to have a sore back and leg the next day (and I landed the jump). But like the others said, a 3m just doesn't have a lot of float. So you "can" learn the techniques to jump with a 3m and you could get air and you could get more air then is wise.

I'd recommend you try it in winds that are less than ideal for jumping that kite so you don't get much air but get the feeling of what its like to get a bit of weigthlessness.

But as others said, if you want to jump, know that there is no safe way only more safe ways and the larger the kite the better. I'm way more comfortable jumping on my 10m Eskimo in 10mph winds than my 6m Pulse in 18mph winds.

Depower Quiver: 14m Gin Eskimo, 10m Gin Eskimo III, 6m Gin Yeti, 4.5m Gin Yeti (custom bridle and mixer)
Fixed Bridle Quiver: MAC Bego 400, JOJO ET Instinct 2.5 & 5.5, Lil Devil 1.5, Sting 1.2
Rides: Ground Industries
landon96

[*] posted on 1-25-2011 at 08:14 PM

About how much are these 8m+ kites.
snowspider

[*] posted on 1-25-2011 at 08:21 PM

Get yourself some skates or better yet some short skis , make sure the ice is safe and your helmet is on tight , you'll be going like a rocket.

2.6 , 3.9 , 5.3 , 6.8 PL Vipers
5 , 7.5 HQ Apex II
14m HQ Montana VII
5m naish element
7m ss turbo diesel
10m pansh blaze

5m beamer dearly departed into a tree
3 "snowspider" homebuilt kite sleds
3 homebuilt buggies
1 skate board with seat on wheels or blades (the c0ckroach)
furbowski

[*] posted on 1-25-2011 at 08:22 PM

re: the 8m

Quote:
Originally posted by lad
DO NOT PASS GO...DO NOT COLLECT $200....GO STRAIGHT TO JAIL....Totally ***WRONG*** ideal...fergetabouditt.
:ticking::ticking::ticking::ticking::ticking::ticking::ticking::ticking::ticking::ticking:

:thumbup:

no no no no.

(13.11.09)
flyjump

[*] posted on 1-25-2011 at 08:22 PM

Learn to fall before you learn to jump. You start learning by crashing alot. I started with the intention of jumping and got myself into a couple of hairy situations. Make sure you practice in low winds and slowly work your way up. Our friend cj broke his back after his5m kite dropped him from 20 feet up. There's plenty of kite jumping tutorials on the web but they don't teach you how to not get hurt. Practice and patience will save you lots of grief :)

WELDNGOD

Mood: Dyin' to go flyin'

[*] posted on 1-25-2011 at 08:40 PM

:thumbup::thumbup: my Bro'!

WELDNGOD on VIMEO
https://vimeo.com/user2580342

NAPKA US187
PKD
Combat 2.4 / 4.2
Century 1.8 / 5.5
Century II 2.2/2.8/3.5/4.5 /10.0
Brooza IV 3.0 prototype
Buster Soulfly 1.5 / 2.2 (KIA)/ 3.3 (lost at sea)
Buster Soulfly PRO 3.3 / 4.4
Buster (gen 1) 5.5
FLEXIFOIL
Sting 1.7 Punk
Rage 2.5 / 3.5/ 4.7
Revolution 1.5 SLE
17 ply Custom TRAMPA w/ verTIGo trucks
2 homebrew buggies,2 homebrew KYTBYKS,1 homebrew tandem trailer
GOPRO 3 WHITE, 3+ BLACK, HERO5 BLACK
CONTOUR HD
LET YOUR SOULFLY!

RIDER for KOKOPELLI KITER

Bladerunner

[*] posted on 1-26-2011 at 06:23 PM

Check out all the great info Angus has put together http://www.coastalwindsports.com/servlet/StoreFront

Another interesting site is
www.kiteboardingschool.org

Get a good 4 line 2.5 - 3m and get flying !!!!!!

While you are flying it and playing with it on snow you can figure out + save for that IMPORTANT second kite. If you want to go to snow and want to jump I think your second kite may be a depower ? That isn't as important as getting that trainer and actually flying !!!! It is all about time logged at 1st. Setting those reflex memories.

At 115 lbs I wonder if you are young ? Or Ripsessions big brother ! :P

( you will figure that last bit out soon )

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
Seanny

[*] posted on 1-26-2011 at 08:00 PM

I'm young, but eligible to be Ric's big brother :) I weigh like 5 pounds more than he does. Maybe 10, but that's stretching it. :wee:

Sean Tully

i like kites.

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio